PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Magnum?

exile
10-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Has anybody ever actually fired the new Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal? I would like to buy one more gun before Obama is declared king. My choices are down to that or the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I think it (the SP-101) would make a good home defense gun for my wife or a good carry gun for me. My wife does not mind a little recoil if she is only going to fire a few rounds at a time, but I would like to have something that she would practice with regularly, simple to operate and that would function well with cast bullets. I read the review on Gunblast, but would like to hear what you all have to say. I know all the gunwriters say you should not buy a gun until you have shot it, but as yet noone has knocked on my door with one in hand. My brother-in-law has an SP-101 in .357 which I have fired so I suppose it won't be much different, but what the heck, I thought I would ask. Beats being apprehensive over the election or pissed off at the Tampa Bay Rays for losing game six of the playoffs, I guess. (P.S., Don't tell my wife I am using her as an excuse to buy another gun.)

Scrounger
10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
A .357 Magnum in the same gun would be a better choice. The .357 with 125 grain bullet exceeds the ballistics of the .327, would have less muzzle blast and be more pleasant to shoot. And it offers you a lot more options, bullets up to 190 grains, .38 wadcutter loads at low velocity, and even shotshell loads. The .327 Magnum died at birth.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-19-2008, 01:08 AM
We keep our 357 SP101 loaded with Federal Hydroshock Low Recoil Rounds. Sweet Gun.

Sam :-D

Heavy lead
10-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Exile,
Buying a gun can be great therapy can't it.
I'm a big Michigan fan, probably will be the first losing season since I've been alive. I try to buy a gun for every loss, it's keeping me sane. So I sat down, and pulled for Penn State yesterday, it worked (I was scared though, Michigan led into late in the second quarter). So it's off to the gun store we go today!
Yippie:coffee::roll:

James C. Snodgrass
10-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Heavy Lead , I like your theory but being a KU fan in football growing up means I would have more arms the the armed forces of most small countries . But it is a good theory . James:roll:

Heavy lead
10-19-2008, 06:40 AM
It's a fun thought though, isn't it? KU gave you last year though, they seem to come out of nowhere, but that had to give you Jawhawks some joy.

Exile,
Oh as far as the SP101, I think I would stick to the 357 as well IMO

NHlever
10-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Ruger would have sold a lot more of those guns in .22LR, and .32H&R if they would just put real adjustable sights on especially the 4" models. The new .327 Federal is what the .32 H&R was supposed to be, and would make a nice field gun. Penetration is surprisingly good with the new round, but I'm not sure that makes it any better for self defense. Jeff Quinn did measure the muzzle blast, and found it quieter than the .357 mag, but I do expect that .38 Specials would be both quieter, and have much less flash for low light shooting. I did load a warm load of Blue Dot behind hollow points in the SP101 that I had, and found both the noise, and flash to be much less while maintaining magnum velocities.

exile
10-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Being a KU grad myself, it is fortunate that I have never been much of a football fan. Now I live in Nebraska. One of my reasons for wanting the .32 chambering is that I have a .357 already. I seem to enjoy loading for different calibers (at least in small quantities) almost more than I do shooting. It relaxes me. I have heard people say golf is good therapy (a waste of a perfectly good rifle range) because you cannot think about anything else and hit the ball. I find reloading to be much the same. To be successful (knock on wood) you must concentrate. In either case, I do not have a small carry gun in a revolver. Some would say that I do not have a concealed carry permit either, so what does it matter. True, but I think someday our survival may depend on a small dependable handgun that fires cast bullets well. And, I have enjoyed reading Ed Harris' thoughts on the .32 on the internet. Take care,

Exile

Dale53
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't have an SP 101 in .327 Federal. However, I DO have one in .32 H&R Magnum. The sights were not sufficient (no elevation adjustment) so I had it drilled and tapped for a custom Weaver style base and hung a Red Dot sight on it. Now, it is a very usable handgun.

I shoot mostly .32 S&W longs from it as most of what I do is target shoot. However, I also have loaded up some full magnum loads (over what factory loads are but still in the practical limits area). It is a great little handgun and I shall not be getting rid of it any time soon. It makes a great little trail gun and the caliber is ideal for edible small game as well as some varmint use.

The .327 Federal should give you "more of the same". However, I would NOT buy a gun in this caliber until Starline starts making brass for it. Right after the .32 H&R Magnum came out I jumped on the band wagon and Federal stopped selling components to reloaders. I was stuck with a gun with no brass (Federal factory load brass was pure junk - split about 20% after every loading). I'll not be doing that again...

At any rate, when brass is available from more than one supplier, the .327 should be a viable little cartridge. I have four .32's in various models and calibers and shoot mine a good deal with LOTS of pleasure.

However, the advice to go with the .357 version is NOT bad advice...

FWIW
Dale53

Three44s
10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I think Ruger is missing the boat on the .327.

Think Single Six or BH and .......adjustable sights ....... and ..... HUNTIN'

Three 44s

exile
10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree with both of you. I am very fond of Starline brass, and would not want to buy a .327 Federal if it were not produced. I find it works very well in my .44 special loads and is much thicker than Remington brass in both .38 special and .44 special.

I also think that Ruger should have begun with a single-six and then moved on to the SP-101, or possibly a Blackhawk. I think they would sell well. I have considered trying to find out if it would be cheaper or at least cost-effective to have my 5 1/2" stainless single-six converted to .327 Federal.

I know two couples well who have concealed carry permits. Both of the wives prefer smaller caliber handguns. Neither are wallflowers in my opinion. One of the women carries a snubnose Taurus in .22 magnum. To me the .22 magnum is too expensive, and it cannot be reloaded. My point is, I think both these women, and my wife as well, are influenced to shoot more when they see a smaller caliber, regardless of recoil. I know that is not true of all women.

exile

Muddy Creek Sam
10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Exile,

My Lovely Katie has RA in both hands and she is well pleased with the low recoil version of the Hydroshock ammo. Might let your wife try it.

Sam :D

exile
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I have a touch of arthritis myself, I may try those as a home defense load in my five-inch 686.

Exile

AZ-Stew
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Exile,

Where did you get a 5" M-686?

Regards,

Stew

jack19512
10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I think Ruger is missing the boat on the .327.

Just my opinion but I don't think Ruger is missing the boat at all. I still think the .38/.357 is a much better route to go rather than a .327.

exile
10-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I had been lookiing for a .38 or a .357 for several years and this one popped up at my local gun shop at the right time. My understanding is that it was a special run for Lipsey's. It has a five inch barrel and a non-fluted cylinder. It balances very well. I have been shootng .38's through it so far. I had a four inch 686 that was supposedly Kansas Highway Patrol surplus when I was in college, but I sold it, as I was still looking for the perfect carry gun. I like the balance on this one much better, although it does have the evil trigger lock.

Exile

GrizzLeeBear
10-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm with you all that say Ruger should come out with HUNTING revolver in the .327.

I just hope they don't come out with a SP-101 with a 5" - 6" barrel and adjustable sights. Cause then I would HAVE to buy one! Ruger, you listening?

Heavy lead
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Personally for my small gun I love my 642 aluminum frame 38+P. I love the little guy and shoot 50 rounds through it at least once a month. I have a set of hogue finger groove grips on it and at 25 yards is more accurate than it should be with plain jane 148 grain wadcutters. This is a DAO, and it is light, but the sights are regulated so it is on at 25 yards and I know I could plunk a bunny with it. IMO people are missing the boat on the 38.
As far as the 327 though, I would buy one of these in a 4" sp101 with full adjustable sights in a heartbeat.

9.3X62AL
10-20-2008, 02:50 AM
The SP-101 x 327 Federal BEGS to be made with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. The short-barrelled/fixed sight version is a smaller market segment that is already well-covered by the existing 357 Magnum variants, so the current crop of 327s is doomed to languish. Make them as Kit Guns, and Ruger would sell a BUNCH of them--if brass is available. The whole 327 Federal launch seems to be moving in fits and starts, for some reason.

Bret4207
10-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Agree with Al. Ruger's so called "adjustable sights" on the SP-101 are a joke. Make them up with nice sights and 4-6" barrels and you'd appeal to a whole other market.

NHlever
10-20-2008, 08:30 AM
This thread has been sent along to Ruger....... :-)

unclebill
10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
i can only find 2 guns that fire this caliber
charter and ruger.
is this round stillborn?

jack19512
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
is this round stillborn?

Probably.

unclebill
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
i know i wont buy one because i already own .357's

Bret4207
10-21-2008, 06:38 AM
I stopped at a dealer yesterday and asked about the Charter in 327. $350.00+ (dealer price)for a Charter....hmmmmm. As much as I like my Charter BD, I hesitate to commit that kind of money on an unseen gun. Sure do like the idea of a light 4" trail gun on 32 cal though.

exile
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I went back to the gunshop today to look at the .327 Federal gun again. They also had a .32 H &R magnum SP-101 (used) with a four inch barrel, but I did not like the balance on this one as well.

But the real reason for my post is that I called Midway USA looking for dies and brass. The only die set they had was RCBS. They had no brass of any kind for the .327 Federal and Lee is not making a die set yet.

I wonder if I want to load .32 H & R mag. and .327 Federal if I would need to buy the .32 H &R mag die set? I have a .32 ACP die set from Lee, would that work, at least as a sizing die?

Exile

mike in co
10-22-2008, 12:59 AM
i can only find 2 guns that fire this caliber
charter and ruger.
is this round stillborn?

way to new to know.....

jack19512
10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I put the .327 in the same boat as I put the 5mm rimfire. I don't have a thing against either of them but have no plans to rush out and buy them either.

Norseman
10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
As Ruger has stopped production of the .32 H&R Magnum SP-101, I've ordered a .327 from the Norwegian importer (who had it in stock). The police department used two weeks to process my buyers permit application and I sent the permit to the importer yesterday. With any luck, the gun will be here by saturday, so I guess I'll get it next week.

I asked the importer for .327 ammunition, but it will not reach the country until march next year.

So I've ordered some .32 H&R brass from Starline and I'm looking for a .32 mold - preferably a Keith-design. Will the Lyman 311008 do the trick?

Best Regards from Norway

Kraschenbirn
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I know that "things new and shiney" are the bait that keeps the market churning but I wish someone at Ruger would pull his head out from where the sun don't shine and chamber the SP101 for 32-20 and be done with it. I've got a 3" .357 that's been my boondocking companion for several years and would latch onto a 4" 32-20 in about half a heartbeat.

Bill

Dale53
10-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Norseman;
One of the best bullets to be had for the .32 S&WL, .32 H&R Magnum, and I presume the .327 Federal is the RCBS .32 -98-SWC. However, if you already have the Lyman 311008 then I would certainly try it. I don't have that particular mould but suspect that it'll do quite well.

My favorite bullet for the .32 H&R has come to be a 100 SWC (bought as a six cavity Group Buy from Cast Boolits) and made by Lee. It works extremely well from target shooting (750 fps) to heavy loads (1200-1300 fps).

Dale53

Norseman
10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Dale53!

I haven't any .32 molds yet - exept the TL WC from Lee. There's a group buy going on another .32 SWC, but I need the mold now, since I'll get my SP-101 next week, and the anticipated deliverytime on the GB is 9 months.

I'll check out the RCBS .32-98-SWC.

Thanks for the tip!

Norseman

NHlever
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
I had a .32 H&R mag for a while until I foolishly sold it to a friend, and I loaded the Lyman 311316 bullets in it with great success. That is the gas checked version of the 31008, and I expect that would work just as well. I like that big flat nose, and accuracy was good.

9.3X62AL
10-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I use the RCBS 32 S&W Long die set (tungsten carbide sizer) for both 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum. I suspect the die set would work for the 327 Federal once properly adjusted.

A NEW Ruger revo in 32-20? Chortle, chortle, guffaw, guffaw. Way too good an idea to get developed.

exile
10-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Found this last night poking around on the internet. Sometimes people's opinions aren't worth much, but this mans are:

"It is not often that we have a new revolver cartridge to get fired up about, but the .327 magnum is the most important mainstream cartridge offering since the
.44 magnum for serious revolver nuts."

Hamilton Bowen, Bowen Classic Arms, 2008

Exile

ra_balke
10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
My friend bought one, he shot it 20 times, and sold it.
The gun shot high 8 inches at 15 yards... or so he said.

He said the recoil was sharp, and fierce. So he said.

I never shot the gun, but the weight and ballance were excellent !

The coil springs were a pain and gave the gun the usual ..yuuk.. Ruger single action trigger.
Double action pull was also crap.

I would love the gun as a 32 H&R with an adjustable sight, a decent trigger, and leaf springs, and NOT the slow moving mushy coil springs it has got.

Just my thoughts...

Dale53
10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a .32 H&R SP101 with 4" barrel. The sights would not zero (there is only windage adjustment:veryconfu) and the trigger was unacceptable (I expect that with Rugers in general). The solution was obvious for the trigger. I had a trigger job done and the trigger is now quite decent. I had the Ruger drilled and tapped and a custom Weaver style base installed. Then I mounted a Red Dot sight.

It is NOW a very satisfactory revolver.

Dale53

exile
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone had the same issues with the SP-101 with a three inch barrel in .357 magnum? Meaning does it shoot to point of aim? Is the trigger mushy in both single and double action. Like I said, I shot my brother-in-laws gun in the same configuration, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. The one I encountered at the gun shop seemed to have a good single and double action trigger to me, but the thought of it not shooting to point of aim with any load concerns me. I have several firearms, but not a small frame revolver that would be good for concealed carry. My wife seems to like the idea of a smaller caliber, I would download it considerably most of the time. When I was at the gunshop, I talked with a woman who said she had a three inch SP-101 in .32 H & R mag. and loved it. I cannot see that the .327 Federal would be any different, if the recoil of the .327 Federal is too much you still have the option of .32 S & W, .32 S & W long, and .32 H & R magnum in the same gun. I actually have a box of .32 S & W's (the one that is the same size as the .32 ACP) that someone gave me. I would like to shoot a few of those just for the historical value. Does anyone know the last time the .32 S & W cartridge was produced commercially? I know what your'e thinking, stop talking about it and buy one! Lack of funds prevent me from doing so at this time. If for some reason I do not buy the SP-101 in .327 Federal I would like to buy one in .357 magnum anyway. AR-15's and anything to do with them continue to fly off the shelves at my local gunshop. Once again a Democrat does more to stimulate the buying of semi-automatic weapons than John Ross could ever do. When will politicians on both sides of the aisle learn that gun confiscation is a bad thing with the American public?

Rambling again for lack of anything better to do.

Exile

Muddy Creek Sam
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Exile,

Ours is accurate to 15 yards, Nice trigger, Olny real complaint. Is, THE DAMN THING IS LOUD!

Sam :-D

NHlever
10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I had the SP-101 in .357 with the 3 11/16" barrel. The trigger wasn't perfect, but fine for most shooting. Muzzle blast, etc. with some loads was a bit much, so I used a load of 10.0 Blue Dot behind a 158 JHP, Lyman 358316, or lighter, and it was much better. I liked the gun very much until my eyes got so they couldn't make out the stainless rear sight very well. I may get anonther one in .32 H&R, or .327 Federal for the more visible rear sight, and because I do like .32 revolvers in the woods. I sure wish there were more around with fully adjustable sights though!

unclebill
10-25-2008, 11:36 PM
i put a wolff springs kit in my sp-101 .357
and i love it now.
best 12 bucks i ever spent.

9.3X62AL
10-26-2008, 02:18 AM
I hope Ruger and S&W listen to what H. Bowen had to say.

I am an unabashed enthusiast for mid-caliber handguns. The 327 Federal's biggest complaints seem to be its loud report, which it is indeed. I suppose a loud report is an acceptable side-effect in a 454 Casull, or 475 Linebaugh, or 500 S&W, but not a mid-bore. The obvious answer is to down-load the 327 to an acceptable report level. Lengthening the barrel would help attenuate some of that report, too (hint hint nudge nudge).

I suspect that it S&W came out with a K-frame or L-frame 6-shot 327 Federal with 4"-6" barrel.....or a 5-shot J-frame with 4" barrel--I would be hard put to avoid such a purchase. Likewise a GP-100 or SP-101 in similar pattern.

Bret4207
10-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Has anyone had the same issues with the SP-101 with a three inch barrel in .357 magnum? Meaning does it shoot to point of aim? Is the trigger mushy in both single and double action. Like I said, I shot my brother-in-laws gun in the same configuration, but that was 7 or 8 years ago. The one I encountered at the gun shop seemed to have a good single and double action trigger to me, but the thought of it not shooting to point of aim with any load concerns me. I have several firearms, but not a small frame revolver that would be good for concealed carry. My wife seems to like the idea of a smaller caliber, I would download it considerably most of the time. When I was at the gunshop, I talked with a woman who said she had a three inch SP-101 in .32 H & R mag. and loved it. I cannot see that the .327 Federal would be any different, if the recoil of the .327 Federal is too much you still have the option of .32 S & W, .32 S & W long, and .32 H & R magnum in the same gun. I actually have a box of .32 S & W's (the one that is the same size as the .32 ACP) that someone gave me. I would like to shoot a few of those just for the historical value. Does anyone know the last time the .32 S & W cartridge was produced commercially? I know what your'e thinking, stop talking about it and buy one! Lack of funds prevent me from doing so at this time. If for some reason I do not buy the SP-101 in .327 Federal I would like to buy one in .357 magnum anyway. AR-15's and anything to do with them continue to fly off the shelves at my local gunshop. Once again a Democrat does more to stimulate the buying of semi-automatic weapons than John Ross could ever do. When will politicians on both sides of the aisle learn that gun confiscation is a bad thing with the American public?

Rambling again for lack of anything better to do.

Exile

As far as I know the 32 S+W is still in production, by Remington, Fiocchi and others. Nice little round in a boys rifle like a #4 Remington.

Dale53
10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
I am an unabashed enthusiast for mid-caliber handguns.

Al, we certainly have "common ground" there. As you know, the .32's definitely "get my attention". Since I have several .32 H&R Mag chambered handguns (631 S&W 4", 16-4" S&W 6", Ruger SP101 4", a 10" SSK barrel for my Contender and a 22" SSK barreled Contender Carbine) I will not be buying a new .327 Federal. I can get all of the performance I desire in the .32 H&R in the above platforms.

Again, I mostly shoot target loads, so the .327 wouldn't offer me anything that I need. I am NOT knocking the .327 (if I didn't have all of these .32's, and the proper platform was offered, I would certainly be interested).

Ruger needs to offer the .327 in an outdoorsmen's set up - 4-6" barrel with FULLY adjustable sights in addition to the "Belly Gun" genre'.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Having not met Mr. Bowen, I'm not about to put words in his mouth--but I strongly suspect his statement is saying the same thing as Dale and I--that being, the 327 Federal caliber can be A LOT more than just a felon repeller. If the right platform was made, I could justify purchase of a 327 Federal--having only one each of 32 SWL and 32 Mag revos on staff presently.

Kraschenbirn
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Exile...

Yep...my 3" SP-101 came out of the box with a draggy trigger...heavy and felt like it had been lubed with valve grinding compound...but a little judicious polishing of the innards and a Wolfe spring kit took care of that in short order. So far as POI, mine shoots 125 JHPs roughly 2" high at 15 yds and 158 gr SWCs (Lyman 358156s) almost dead on at 25 ydes with no windage issues, at all.

Bill

Scrounger
10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
You guys discussing point of impact do know that the biggest factor in that equation is the strength of the shooters wrist? A strong guy may well hit under the target while his girl friend might easily hit a foot over it with the same load. Recoil of the pistol is a big factor too. I don't shoot pistols much and when I do I find I shoot high at first. Over a period of a few weeks of shooting, I can see my impact point get lower and lower as my wrist gets stronger and my hold more consistent. I don't know anything about the shooter who started this discussion of point of impact, but I wish he had kept the gun and continue shooting it for a few weeks, I'll bet his impact point would have come down closer to point of aim.

exile
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
My 686 shoots to point of aim with 158 grain Keith style SWC and 4.1 grains of Unique which suprised me, I thought it would be high. My Mountain Gun shoots to point of aim with 240 grain SWC and 6.4 grains of Unique, but low with 200 grain bullets. I would probably shoot the .327 Federal with lighter loads, although I cannot be sure. So, therein lies my concern. Will a gun that is supposed to shoot well with hot loads shoot high with moderate loads and cast bullets or does Ruger even sight these things in at all? My secret is out, I shoot mostly light loads with Unique and cast bullets. I am just a middle aged wimp I guess.

Exile

9.3X62AL
10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I am just a middle aged wimp I guess.

Exile

Nah, not at all. 95% of my "Magnum" cases get put up with plain-based SWCs at 850-1000 FPS. There's a time and place for the seismic set-off loads--just before and during handgun hunting seasons. Otherwise, it's mid-range for me. Unique, Herco, SR-4756, WW-231, and Bullseye.

unclebill
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Nah, not at all. 95% of my "Magnum" cases get put up with plain-based SWCs at 850-1000 FPS. There's a time and place for the seismic set-off loads--just before and during handgun hunting seasons. Otherwise, it's mid-range for me. Unique, Herco, SR-4756, WW-231, and Bullseye.

yes and since i dont hunt.
i have no use for the thumpers.
i load a few once in a while but...

AZ-Stew
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree with Al on the revolver platforms.

A S&W L-frame with a 4-6" (I'll take 5", thank you) barrel would be a marvelous piece of hardware, even if it would be a bit heavy. Small holes bored through medium sized barrels and cylinders make for heavy handguns. But on the other hand, the extra weight would make nicer shooting for our self-described resident "wimps". ;)

Regards,

Stew

2 dogs
11-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I cant believe some of you guys. I thought all the sticks in the mud were on another forum.....

The 357 IS NOT a better choice for a ladys gun. The difference in recoil is significant!! The 357 IS NOT more versatile than a 327. One can shoot any 32 caliber round in it, 32 acp, 32 S&W long and short, 32 H&R, etc....

If you guys dont go out and BUY a 327, why should Starline make brass? Wont buy one cuz you already have a 357? Do you have any idea now much FUN you are missing out on? Yes, 32 H&R dies load 327 Federal just fine. This treatment of the 5mm rimfire was a terrible mistake on the part of us as shooters. Look at the success of the 17's, then add about 20% more performance....

Yes, the 327 is loud, but so is a 32-20 loaded to the same performance level. The 327 however can be loaded quite easily with carbide dies on a Dillon.

I have a custom 327 built by Alan Harton of Single Action Service of Houston Tx. It is extremely accurate, punches out a 118 grain LBT gas check bullet at 1550 fps with NO pressure signs. I cant think of a better small game field gun.

exile
11-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Went to the gunshop on Halloween with my wife. As I said before, they had a 2" .357, a 3" .327 Federal, and a used 4" .32 H & R magnum. She liked the 3" barreled gun the best. I just happened to have my permit with me, so we bought it.

Lack of funds will probably prevent me from buying reloading components until after Christmas (I am pushing my luck as it is), and my computer is having problems, so it may be a few months before I get to shoot it. Factory ammo is
$ 28.50 a box. I now have a gun that my wife would probably be comfortable taking a concealed carry class with and using for home defense, practice etc.,.

I will try to give a report when I am able.

What sold me on it was putting fifty rounds of .44 special downrange and thinking about how things would be if my arthritis got worse and what would happen if my wife,( who really has not been that interested in shooting anything but the single-six) REALLY needed something she could use well for home defense and taking a concealed carry class. So I do hope it shoots to point of aim, and that Starline starts making brass for it, and that reloading data comes out (hopefully I can buy one of the caliber specific "load data" books from Midway so I don't have to buy a whole reloading manual for one caliber.)

I am thinking that a Lee .32 mag die will work better anyway, since I will want to load that caliber and that is a shorter round. My understanding is that you can load a longer caliber with a shorter die, but not the other way around. I plan to call Lee and Starline on Monday.

Again, my biggest concern is that it will not shoot to point of aim. Like I said, I may not be around for awhile until computer issues are resolved, so a range report may not be forthcoming soon in any case.

exile

exile
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I forgot my last question. I am not casting yet, but a local guy makes a 115 grain round nose flat point bullet for the 32-20, sized .313. I would love to shoot that out of the SP-101, but do not know if that would work, and cannot find any data in my reloading manuals for a 115 grain lead bullet in the .32 H & R magnum. I have Lee, Speer, Hornady, and two Lyman manuals. Any opinions on that 2dogs or anyone else. A load using that bullet and Unique would be great until I can find the funds to get other bullets, powder and reloading manuals. Thanks,
Exile

Scrounger
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I forgot my last question. I am not casting yet, but a local guy makes a 115 grain round nose flat point bullet for the 32-20, sized .313. I would love to shoot that out of the SP-101, but do not know if that would work, and cannot find any data in my reloading manuals for a 115 grain lead bullet in the .32 H & R magnum. I have Lee, Speer, Hornady, and two Lyman manuals. Any opinions on that 2dogs or anyone else. A load using that bullet and Unique would be great until I can find the funds to get other bullets, powder and reloading manuals. Thanks,
Exile
Then use available data for 120 grain bullets or anything heavier. Surely there must be data in some loading manual, a 5 or 10 grain difference in bullet weight is negligible. You can use jacketed bullet data and reduce 20%-25% to start.

You don't have to buy another manual, most companies that publish manuals put their data on the Internet for free. Are you just getting into reloading?

leftiye
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Exile - That 115 grainer is way cool for the .327 - if you have a .312" groove diameter and .312-.313" chamber mouths. .314 woild be better.

My theory on overcoming the dearth of good info on good powders for this caliber in heavier boolits is to look at max loads for the 32 H&R mag as a starting place. For instance 12 grains of H110 with a 100 grain boolit. With the H110, WW296 the thing to watch is to not load DOWN too much in your starting load (Kaboom?). Starting loads for T/C contender in 32-20 should be possible to use if the pressures are listed and are in the 20,000 psi range. Be careful here because the 327 is about .100" shorter.

Anybody got any info on AA#9, or Blue Dot, or 2400 with 110 to 120 grain boolits in the 327?

Dale53
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Hodgdon has plenty of reloading data on their web page:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

This link will take you to the Hodgdon site but won't always take you to the page you want. Just "fill in the blanks" and don't forget to hit the "get data" button.

Dale53

leftiye
11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
It doesn't cover ANY of the slower powders in the 115 grain section.

2 dogs
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I am using H110. I have had such good accuracy with it, I confess I havent tried anything else. 12 grains or so would be a good place to start with a 115 or so grain bullet....You will run out of case capacity before you get into any trouble....

leftiye
11-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Thank you sir! Take a look at the loads in the Speer #13 manual for the 32-20 in the contender - HOT! I wouldn' start there!

leftiye
11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Regarding AA#9, Accurate answered my email and sent me some data on #7and#9. In the 115 grain class only #9 was used. 10.8 grs 1355 fps. (starting) 12.0 grs. 1506 fs. (maximum)

leftiye
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Regarding AA#7 and 9, Accurate answered my email today. Only #9 was used in the 115 grain boolit weight (cast). Starting 10.8grains, 1355 fps. Maximum 12.0 grains, 1506 fps. pressure of max load was 38,700 psi.. Appears that we've actually, finally got a true .32 caliber magnum!

exile
11-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I contacted Lee and Starline the other day regarding the .327 Federal. Lee said they had no intention of making a .327 Federal die. Starline said they had many requests for .327 Federal brass and they might make some after the first of the year. I tried to get on Hodgdons website to get .327 Federal data, it said I needed "cookies enabled to access their site" whatever that means. I will try again.

So, I ordered a Lee .32 H & R magnum die and 100 Starline cases from Midway USA. It was all I could afford for now. I will probably also order the Lee 90 grain SWC mold from Midway as well, but that will have to wait.

Exile

Dale53
11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Exile;
Here is "how to enable cookies":

http://www.google.com/cookies.html

This allows the web site (in this case, Hodgdon) to put a "cookie" on your computer to work with Hodgdon's web site.

Good luck,
Dale53

exile
11-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dale53 for the advice. I gave your instructions a shot, but no dice. Like I said my computer is having problems. I will keep trying.

Exile

exile
11-07-2008, 09:23 PM
2dogs (or anyone else who knows) you mentioned shooting .32 ACP through a
.327 Federal revolver. Could you elaborate on that? How do you do it, with moon clips or something? It is a semi-rimmed case as I understand it. The reason I mention it is that I have 200 or so .32 ACP cases and would not mind shooting them through the SP-101 if possible.

How hard is it to put in that Wolf springs kit?

Have not shot the .327 yet, just got my die set and 100 rounds of brass yesterday. So, nothing exciting to report yet.

Exile

monadnock#5
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
No, you don't need a moon clip to shoot .32ACP in the .327 mag. The rim is .356 Dia., and the case is .341 Dia. It will work. My FIL gave me an old and decrepit Iver Johnson top break years ago, chambered in a long obsolete .32 cartridge. The .32ACP works just fine.

The hammer spring in the SP-101 is easy to replace. The trigger spring, not so much. I've changed the trigger spring on two Ruger's, so it can be done at home, with no special tools. I'm reluctant to say if I can do it anyone can. But certainly most could. A good parts breakout would be a great asset.

2 dogs
11-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Just load them and shoot them as normal. There is enough rim to support the case in the cylinder. Have fun and let us know how they work out for you!

exile
11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the information. Even though I have not shot it yet, the versatility of this revolver is making me happy. It seems everyone I talk to (including the guy at the gun shop) has put a Wolf springs kit in their SP-101. That will definately go on my to do list.

Exile

western77
12-04-2008, 01:34 AM
[...] I would like to buy one more gun before Obama is declared king.[...]

I'm pro gun ownership for those who are not recklessly harmful with weapons to others. I haven't researched the topic of the president elect with respect to gun ownership extensively, but would appreciate any urls pointing to official or quoted positions of our forthcoming president with respect to this topic. If there is a need to send feedback with regards to gun rights, that would be a good and useful thing; I'm just trying to be more informed about the overall current situation at this point. Thank you.

Dale53
12-04-2008, 01:46 AM
western77;
I want to ask you where have you been during the months leading up to the Presidential Election? Obama is quite possibly the most anti-gun person in Congress. I seriously doubt he will change his ideas when he is Officially our new President.

The Second Amendment means EXACTLY what it says in the Bill of Rights. Our Congress swears an oath to support the Constitution. Any deviation from that is Treason to me and mine.

Dale53

western77
12-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Dale, Thanks for your reply. My intention is to find what our president elect's intents are with respect to this topic, in terms of things I can look up and read about. My post is not in defense or support of the president elect's position (since I'm not versed on that), rather to educate myself and send in support email for the second amendment if that is being compromised. So any references would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mike in co
12-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Dale, Thanks for your reply. My intention is to find what our president elect's intents are with respect to this topic, in terms of things I can look up and read about. My post is not in defense or support of the president elect's position (since I'm not versed on that), rather to educate myself and send in support email for the second amendment if that is being compromised. So any references would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

well politics are not allowed in this part of this forum.
so just to keep it short, go to google, do a search on mr obama and any related subject and it will come up.

you can do a search on this site, it may have some info.

he said on public tv......or words to this effect...." i think we can work AROUND the recent supreme court decision on the second ammendment"

so just go spend some time on a search engine....its all out there, not subtle...pretty balck and white.

45nut
12-04-2008, 03:18 AM
well politics are not allowed in this part of this forum.

Thanks Mike,, everyone, please respect the request to keep the politics to the humor and off topic area.

Thank You.:coffee:

leftiye
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Just a note on the AA#9 in the 327. Accurate called 10.8 grains a starting load (max = 12.0 grains), so I tried that and got a cratered primer.

My gun is very tight, I'm almost guessing that I can reload without sizing. It's tight everywhere else too, cyl gap, boolit almost touching in the chamber mouth, etc.. As Accurate had 1.2 grains between their max, and their starting loads, I'm gonna back off a grain, and try again. No signs of leading, but I'm not looking for a max load either.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm lurking on this thread, and thought I would add a few bits to the info posted so far.

I'm an unabashed admirer of mid-caliber revolvers and autopistols, and if this caliber gets momentum and support by ammomakers--gunmakers--and component suppliers, it would be difficult to stay away from.

I believe Leftiye is correct in his estimation that the 327 Federal is a true 32 Magnum, and would add that the 327 is likely what the 1980s 32 Magnum should have been originally. Unfortunately, Harrington & Richardson chambered the initial fleet of revolvers for this caliber, and the cartridge's performance had to be "dumbed down" to the strength level of those 19th Century platforms. Factory ammo performance tops out at roughly 1000 FPS for the 95 grain lead SWC and about 1100 FPS for the 85 grain JHP.

A member here (Big Slick) has gone well past the usual 32 Magnum performance levels using a Ruger SP-101 as his springboard, and proceeded to and slightly beyond published ballistics of the 327 Federal during his trials.

I wouldn't recommend that course of conduct in a J-frame S&W. I have run my K-frame 32 Magnum to 1200 FPS with 100 grain J-words and to almost 1300 FPS with Lyman #313631 and the RCBS 98 SWC (6" barrel). At the 1250 FPS level, the RCBS began to go south accuracy-wise, while the Lyman GC design REALLY started to tighten groups nicely. It was kind of a dog up to 1100 FPS, and comes into its own when driven hard in the Model 16-4. It will get a little test-drive in the 32-20 carbine when I get Aroundtoit.

Extraction to 1300 FPS remained easy, for whatever inference that might imply. Primer pockets in the Starline brass stayed very snug in the lot of 50 cases I loaded 6 times for these trials. I think there remains a safety margin to extend the S&W K-frame to the 327 Federal load level with 32 Magnum components. Whether doing so makes sense is another question--the factory 32 Mag load levels are a good step up from the 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long, and make a great small game and varmint load that doesn't shred little critters meant for the pot. 32 caliber/100 grain bullets/boolits going 1400-1500 FPS in 32-20 rifles JACK UP jackrabbits pretty comprehensively in my experience, and would likely end a coyote's career post haste. Make sure you really need all that fire and brimstone before launching it forth--those higher-end 32 Mags are barky and unpleasant without double ear protection (plugs and muffs). Think "30 Carbine in a Blackhawk" here.

Mack Heath
01-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Folks,

Regarding 327 data, the latest Shooting Times has some pressure tested data fired in both an SP-101 and a custom Blackhawk.

Also, for those of you that were talking about replacing springs in your 101s, go over to RugerForum.Net and register. After, I think, 10 postings on your part you will be able to access the Library. There is a series of tuning manuals caled IBOKs that you can download. There is one specifically for the SP-101. IBOK stands for Iowegan Book of Knowledge. Iowegan is the user name for a retired gunsmith, Gary or George Bunker. I cannot remember right off.

The IBOKs are well worth the effort. There is a whole lot more to tuing up and SP or GP than just replacing springs. The five shooter versions seem to tune up a bit better than the six shoot versions, but both will benefit from following Iowegan's instructions. The IBOKS are about 15 to 20 pages long, with tons of good info and excellent illustrations. There are IBOKS for the GP, the SRH, the Security Six and the MK series of .22s in addition to the SP.