PDA

View Full Version : ranch dog options

weeple2000
03-29-2019, 10:03 PM
I remember reading about the ranch dog mold years ago before I started casting. I have yet to actually load and send any rifle rounds yet. I have the Lee C309-200-R and the NOE 310-165. I am interested in the ranch dog. My friend has a pump 308 that I'd like to load a few cast rounds for. I am thinking the NOE would be good for that. But the ranch dog would be better for hunting. After casting the Lee boolits, I wound up hitting the rifling before closing the bolt on my 30-06. When I look at the ranch dog mold profiles, I suspect this wouldn't be a concern. I was not able to chamber the Lee 200 grain in my 30-06 bolt if I PC'd it.

It looks like arsenal has good prices for the ranch dog molds. If I order from them, I assume that I can specify that I will want to PC and they can cut the mold. Their website states something about the fact that each rifle is unique. Without having the rifle you can't know what works and what doesn't. So my question is, what is the likelihood that I will run into trouble if I have a ranch dog mold cut for PC? Is there anything I'm not thinking about here? I think the tapered design would prevent me from hitting the rifling when I chamber the rounds.

I feel like this is pretty straight forward but I wanted to post about it.

Also, there are 3 options for 30 cal on their website. 170, 175, and a micro band 176. Is any one going to be better than the others for what I'm trying to do? My cousin has a 30-30 that I would like to keep in mind, but I don't have a set of dies for it yet.

popper
03-29-2019, 10:48 PM
There are several 'RD' versions around. Accurate can make any version to your specs. You need your chamber/bore dimensions.

weeple2000
03-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Actually come to think of it I am going to be putting these through my Lee sizer to get the gas checks on them anyway. I think I'd just go for a size that I could tumble lube so that I could have that option in addition to powder coating.

Tom W.
03-30-2019, 01:25 AM
I have an old original made by Lee. It has the micro grooves on it. I don't use it too much as I like the old Lee 160 gr mold that I have, but when I do use it I load for my 30-06 a.i. forming loads and whatever strikes my fancy for my 30/30 a.i.
I have a box of 20 loaded up and ready to go when I get the chance to get to the range.