PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lubes?

PBSmith
03-29-2019, 09:37 PM
I purchased several different commercial bullets a few years back from Dardas in Michigan. He used a blue lube in all the grooves. The bullets look to be very high quality - among the best I've bought.

These are hard cast bullets. I will be shooting them at .38 Special velocities - nothing really screaming fast.

On a long-forgotten thread from a couple of years ago I read some negative comments about blue lubes. As I recall the comment was aimed at commercial lubes. Possibly someone was using them in the wrong application.

Question: not knowing what I have for blue lube on my bullets, would I be well advised to tumble with my JPW/Xlox/Naptha favorite (about the same as Ben's) just in case the commercial blue lube is not appropriate for what I'm shooting? I don't expect any of my velocities to be much over 900 fps.

Thanks.

Budzilla 19
03-29-2019, 10:10 PM
If you tumble lube them , then you know that you are covered no matter what. Just my .02

Minerat
03-29-2019, 10:30 PM
I have now tumble lubed about 2000 commercial hard cast that I have with BLL. Why take a chance. It keeps the commercial lube on the bullet too.

sghart3578
03-30-2019, 10:16 AM
For what it is worth I hd fired thousands of Dardas bullets before he retired. I have never had a problem shooting them as is.

Mine were mostly 9mm at about 1100 fps.

PBSmith
03-30-2019, 03:19 PM
For what it is worth I hd fired thousands of Dardas bullets before he retired. I have never had a problem shooting them as is.

Mine were mostly 9mm at about 1100 fps.

That's useful to know. I just stuck a fingernail into the blue on these Dardas bullets, expecting it to be hard or even brittle. I was surprised to find it soft. I'll give them a go as is.

I need to get out more. Dardas is only 80 miles down the road from me. I didn't know he had retired.

Thanks for posting.

Froogal
03-30-2019, 04:43 PM
The blue lube works. I have fired many 200 grain LRNFP through a Rossi rifle and a Uberti Cattleman with NO traces of leading.

Iowa Fox
03-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Blue lube made me look and think about this post I made years ago. Never did find out what he was using.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213286-Custom-Cast-Bullet-lube

osteodoc08
03-31-2019, 01:22 AM
I'd just shoot it as is and determine if there is a problem before bothering with tumble lube. There are several blue lubes out there, so who knows what he is using. My favorite blue lube was of the LBT variety.