PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma hunters please help

T_McD
03-28-2019, 07:59 PM
I have never hunted aside from squirrels, and am wanting to get a deer this year. I have access to land and can kill the thing, but have zero knowledge past that. How does one get started?

Nobody I know hunts, but I was hoping to tag along with someone so I can at least know how to gut a deer before I go and shoot one. I have watched some videos but am more of a hands on learner.

richhodg66
03-28-2019, 08:08 PM
What part of Oklahoma are you in? As gun and hunting friendly as that state is, I have a hard time believing you can't find some help.

I've killed exactly two deer in Oklahoma about 20 years ago when I was stationed on Fort sill, both with my own cast in a .50 caliber Hawken. One was a pretty good sized buck. Oklahoma's seasons are longer and bag limits more lenient than Kansas. If you have access to some good land, you should do fine.

OldBearHair
03-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Get on UTube and search "How to gut a deer" and you will be on the way .

T_McD
03-28-2019, 08:21 PM
What part of Oklahoma are you in? As gun and hunting friendly as that state is, I have a hard time believing you can't find some help.

I've killed exactly two deer in Oklahoma about 20 years ago when I was stationed on Fort sill, both with my own cast in a .50 caliber Hawken. One was a pretty good sized buck. Oklahoma's seasons are longer and bag limits more lenient than Kansas. If you have access to some good land, you should do fine.

I am of the same mind, gotta be something.... I just don’t know where to look. I had thought to try a hunter Ed course and hit some people up but the only thing I found was an online course.

rking22
03-28-2019, 08:25 PM
I field dress my deer just like a REALLY big squirrel. Seriously, slit him up the middle and split the pelvis, then remove the innards and bung. Wash him out and cool him down with ice in the cavity ASAP, like inside an hour. Get him home and with skin it out or take to a processor is probably your best bet for now.

Chainsaw.
03-28-2019, 08:26 PM
T McD. Hello and welcome to the journey. I too hope to take my first deer in a long time. Killed a few when I was a teenager but my less fortunate budies always wanted them for chow, totally wiling to do the dirty work to eat. This round its for my and my belly, want to learn as well. So far as I can tell feild dressing is the easy part. I’m still trying to figure out hanging and aging. Best of luck inyour journey.

rking22
03-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Chainsaw, there’s a long thread/argument on here about aging deer. Think it in in the cooking section. Lots of opinions, everybody has one.

sukivel
03-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Where are you in OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
03-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Get on UTube and search "How to gut a deer" and you will be on the way .Thats about how I learned. I watched it as teenager with my grandpa once. Fast forward 15 years, i told my self i was finnaly going to do it. Realized past shooting it i didnt know what to do. Watch a bunch of youtube videos. There are a lot of good ones and a few bad ones.

Remember minimize waste and maximize eatable meat. Now after a few years and several deer, i am getting pretty good at it. Lol, took all day and into the next morning my first deer. That was shot, skinned, quartered, deboned and into portioned zip lock bags.

Now i shoot it skin it and quarter it by noon and its aging in the fridge for 2 days. Then i spend a day butchering. It takes me a while too butcher. I blame thst on the care and attention i give it. I dont want to waste any more than i need to.

Tips:
- carry latex gloves. specially if you are squimish it helps. Plus most dissease are gotten during this time.
- keep your knives sharp.
- carry a heavy knife for the sternum. And medium and light knife for skinning.
-pack dental floss. When you cut out the anus and urethra you can tie them off with floss to prevent contamination.
- i pack a folding saw for splitting pelvices and cutting bones like hooves and spines.
-keep a gallon of watter for clean up and rinsing the carcas and tools.
-only time in my life I use hand sanitizer. I am mechabic and eat my lunch covered in grease and oild and fuel. For some weird reseason I only use hand sanitizer after butchering.

I have a feild dressing kit with all the tools in it. I back my truck up to a tree with the deer in the bed. Get the gimbal ready ( carry a monkeys paw and a few ropes, you never know what you need engineer). Tie the raising rope to the bumper and gently pull forward. Up goes the deer and i am lazy. Lay down a tarp to keep the peices clean. Then have a friend stand watch while i work. Bear and mountain lions and various scavengers will be attracted. Not trying to get eaten alive. I promise there wont be a trace of what happened come morning. I keep a giant cooler with a couple bags of ice in it. Only cost a few buck from the IceBox machine to fill. This cooler is the size of truck bed tool box and cant hold a few quartered deer.

I have to skin and quarter in the feild. Wife rule #1: food doesnt come home cute and furry. She is over the butchering part, but cant watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
03-28-2019, 08:54 PM
T McD. Hello and welcome to the journey. I too hope to take my first deer in a long time. Killed a few when I was a teenager but my less fortunate budies always wanted them for chow, totally wiling to do the dirty work to eat. This round its for my and my belly, want to learn as well. So far as I can tell feild dressing is the easy part. I’m still trying to figure out hanging and aging. Best of luck inyour journey.Yeah, lots of opinions and ideas. Personally, i live in an apartment in Florida, i pull the bottom drawer out of the fridge and put down a drip tray and wire rack. The set the quarter deer there to age for 48 hours. Works well for me. I would say age for a min 24 hours to get rid of rigor mortis. Its a pits to debone a rigor mortis. Time frame after that us just for taste and will be tailored to what you and the family like. My family enjoys 2 to 3 days. Bucks take a bit more attention to detail and thorough blood drain and rinsing, helps with their stronger game taste.

Moleman-
03-28-2019, 09:04 PM
Congrats on deer hunting and hunting in general. If you've field dressed a squirrel as rking22 said, they're laid out pretty much the same just much bigger. Grandpa walked me through my first rabbit, I figured out the squirrel, then I happened to be with my older cousin when I got my first deer. All he did was say it best to just jump in a get it over with. Have a good knife, gloves and about the only real difference is the size and in particular the size of the bones. A young deer you won't have any trouble cutting through the sturnum or pelvic bone, but an older one will be more calcified. I have field dressed many deer solely with a 6" fixed blade buck knife. It works, but occasionally you'll poke a hole in the bladder or colon splitting the pelvic bone. My favorite specialized tool for the pelvic bone is a small Gerber saw https://www.cabelas.com/product/Gerber-Vital-Pack-Saw/1861207.uts?productVariantId=3931650&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03946513&rid=20&ds_rl=1246543&ds_rl=1246546&ds_rl=1247984&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_yM1Y-m4QIVjYbACh37Ug4GEAQYASABEgJrSvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds which lets you cut through the bone so you can spread the legs apart and break the pelvic bone open enough to remove the intact bladder and colon. The saw is small and easily put in your pack. Another option is a viking solutions deer splitter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9X6wuiaryM Not as easy to keep in the pack, so I keep it in the truck zip tied shut (odd that they didn't include a lock in the design) but it works quickly and easily. You likely could also use an old set of tree pruners. Really though a nice strong fixed blade knife is all you need.

T_McD
03-28-2019, 09:07 PM
I’m in northern Oklahoma

rking22
03-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Interesting tool there Moleman. I shoot young deer by preference so the pelvis is rarely an issue. I have batoned a fixed blade to split it but don’t do that to a folder. As long as you get the blade into the joint there is little resistance compared to bone. I guess being not much squeamish simplifies my kit, it consists of what ever knife I have on me. I have used everything from a KissingCrane stockman to neck knife and a machete once. Preference is a 3 1/2 inch to 4 inch fixed blade drop point is nice. I would suggest keeping a gallon plastic bag for the heart, and liver if you like liver. Baby wipes I hear are nice for cleanup as well as other duties. I have yet to remember to get any so wind up washing hands when I get a chance. Get you some baby wipes. My wife is used to food being encased in cuteness, so I can skin and quarter under the tractor bucket at home. You asked about field dressing, skinning and quarrying aren’t rocket sicience either, but a helper would be nice first go round.

Oily
03-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Where are U in OK. Hunting is diverse in OK. I am in NW OK in the Cimarron river valley.

T_McD
03-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Kay County, 15 minutes from Kansas Border.

Winger Ed.
03-28-2019, 11:58 PM
The first one I did, my Uncle helped and talked me through it.

His method was to hang them upside down.

Once I got the innards out, they were still attached WAY,,, up at the top,,,,, on the far end of the large intestine.

My Uncle, (trying not to laugh) as I gave him the 'what's next look' told me,
,,,,,,,,"just lift the tail, stick your finger in there and cut around it. Even you're smart enough not to cut your own finger".

Hope it helps. Like Red Green says, "We're all in this together".

03-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Seems like I've done it every which way from Sunday and have generally found that hanging the head highest help in the management of the basic field dressing. Rope around the neck, hoist it as far up a tree as I can (sometimes that's not too far), and then open up the belly and let gravity help me as I removed the innards. All the regular tasks apply; cut around the anus & tie it off with some string, take care not to cut the initial cut beyond skin-deep so the stomach ~ intestines aren't ruptured / I split it right up the entire belly & chest all the way to the throat / pull out everything (saving the heart in a plastic bag) / cut the wind pipe as highs I can get and then spreading the cleaned out carcass to cool the body a quickly as I can. Sounds tougher than it is. Just don't leave out any steps. Have fun.

Thumbcocker
03-29-2019, 09:39 AM
butt out is a nice tool to have.

Markopolo
03-29-2019, 10:13 AM
To the Original Poster...

You need a Hunting buddy sir. Looks like there are a few in this thread that might be close enough. Perhaps one of them can go with you to this accessible land you speak of? Having the moral support and help on your first deer is priceless. The relationships that follow the bonding experience is even more so. I pray somebody nearby from this group will jump on this for ya. It seems like no big deal to many who have taken many many deer for a long time, but it is a big deal to somebody that has never done it. Your first real kill is important. Shouldn’t be alone. If you were anywhere near Alaska, it would be my honor to take you..

Marko

Marko

DDriller
03-29-2019, 05:44 PM

There are some pretty good sized deer in that area. I'm grew up in Tonkawa. Haven't hunted up that way in over 40 years.

Texas by God
03-29-2019, 11:53 PM
If the homestead NW of Buffalo wasn't leased I might drive up and take you:-). Ask your co-workers about their hunts, someone will take you pig hunting at least and you can practice gutting them(like training weights). Deer will be easy after that. Join a deer lease if possible for the knowledge and camaraderie.

sukivel
03-30-2019, 12:04 AM

You’re killing me man! You in witness protection or something? So Kay county is Ponca City area...

I’m in Creek county, or the Tulsa area...

I think there’s good wma’s in that area...any hogs around there? There’s deer everywhere here, but I can’t help until October...hogs butcher about the same way as deer.

Rcmaveric
03-30-2019, 05:56 PM
...hogs butcher about the same way as deer.

Lol, all 4 legged critters butcher the same. Just depends if you want chops, ribs, roasts or steaks. I wonder how vinison chops would come out..

T_McD
03-30-2019, 06:05 PM
I would like to get involved in multiple types of hunting. Hogs would be cool...

Geezer in NH
03-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Take a hunter safety course. They do more than gun safety and you will meet many experienced guys to learn from.

sukivel
03-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Take a hunter safety course. They do more than gun safety and you will meet many experienced guys to learn from.

Good point cause here in OK you have to have that to get a hunting license. I’ll look and see what’s around that area. I think there is good duck hunting in that area as well.

sukivel
03-30-2019, 11:56 PM
I would like to get involved in multiple types of hunting. Hogs would be cool...

Do you have a hunting license? Hunter safety course?

Kaw Lake looks good, are you familiar with that area?

MrHarmless
03-31-2019, 12:38 AM

Hogs can be tough. They don't seem to roam too much in the daytime around the Canton Area. Lot's of signs, and I've heard a few near dusk. Stalking can be done, but naturally you need to be very familiar with the terrain.

Semi related, try out the Canton WMA. There's tens of thousands of acres to see. Deer I have seen in the day, near dusk on an overcast day. There are also lots of turkey, and more armadillo than you know what to do with.

trapper9260
03-31-2019, 09:45 AM
For field dress a deer . cut round the butt and work it out some and tie it off with string you will be glad you did .I normal do it when they lay on the ground on there back ,and first cut is just under the skin on the belly from the butt up to the ribs where they part, then from the butt take the knife and just face the sharp end up the find the thin layer of meat and slid your fingers of the other hand to hold that thin meat above the gut and cut up to where the ribs join in the center and then roll the deer on its side and pull out the guts if you like liver keep that off the ground and be careful when you remove the gall bladder you do not want to brake it ,but make sure when you do this the liver is out of the animal and away from the meat .That way if you happened to break the gall bladder you will not spill it on the meat. It will make the on the bitter side. Just cut around the bladder and remove then you will have the kindeys you need to pull out and then in the rib cage you cut the thin layer there and remove the lungs and heart and as much of the wind pipe you can . Then you got the deer field dress and if it is warm out and near and water way like a stream or creek uses the water to cool it the deer down . and rise out the cavity of the gut of the deer and then take where you want to skin or have it done up.
Hope this will hep the OP . on field dress.

ole_270
03-31-2019, 10:05 AM
After way too many years of gutting deer I've kind of gotten away from it. Nowadays I'm more likely to do the gutless method. I think it was the Colorado f&g website that had videos recommending this method for elk that got us started doing it. I just lay the deer on it's side and skin the upper side, take off the backstrap, rear quarter, front quarter, neck meat, and anything else worthy. Roll it over and repeat. When that side is done, cut into the abdomin behind the last rib to get the tenderloins. All meat goes into a cooler and is iced down for a couple days before cutting for the freezer. If I'm close to home I like to fill the cooler with water and a healthy dose of salt. Let it sit for a while to help cool the meat and float off any hair and dirt. Drain the water and ice down for a couple days. It's been working real well and for an old fart, it's a lot easier than horsing around the carcass, and getting it hung away from predators or the neighborhood dogs.

T_McD
03-31-2019, 12:05 PM
Do you have a hunting license? Hunter safety course?

Kaw Lake looks good, are you familiar with that area?

The only hunter safety course info was online. I was hoping to find one to do in person.

trapper9260
03-31-2019, 12:16 PM
After way too many years of gutting deer I've kind of gotten away from it. Nowadays I'm more likely to do the gutless method. I think it was the Colorado f&g website that had videos recommending this method for elk that got us started doing it. I just lay the deer on it's side and skin the upper side, take off the backstrap, rear quarter, front quarter, neck meat, and anything else worthy. Roll it over and repeat. When that side is done, cut into the abdomin behind the last rib to get the tenderloins. All meat goes into a cooler and is iced down for a couple days before cutting for the freezer. If I'm close to home I like to fill the cooler with water and a healthy dose of salt. Let it sit for a while to help cool the meat and float off any hair and dirt. Drain the water and ice down for a couple days. It's been working real well and for an old fart, it's a lot easier than horsing around the carcass, and getting it hung away from predators or the neighborhood dogs.

This sound interesting for how you do it.

ole_270
03-31-2019, 12:49 PM
I think there are more videos out there these days showing the method.

rking22
03-31-2019, 02:45 PM
Seems to me an awful lot of trouble to avoid a 5 min field dress, I hate working on the ground. If I was looking at drawing an elk a half mile it would be much more appealing!

gumbo333
03-31-2019, 02:53 PM
If you can find a hunter safety course locally that would be good. If any local towns have a gun shop or gunsmith or achery \ bow shop stop in and ask around about hunter safety and hunter mentors, even if you don't shoot a bow. Or a church or church group. Ask your postman. Somewhere you will get a lead.

sfcairborne
04-08-2019, 09:16 PM
I live in Broken Arrow, pm me when you want to hunt and I’ll drive too meet you.

ChristopherO
04-09-2019, 12:59 PM
I, too, didn't have a mentor when it came to medium sized game. This was years ahead of the internet forums. I talked with as many guys I could to get an idea of the process. The 'string for the bladder' was golden to start with. That first kill by myself was a magical time, an excellent hunt and an introduction to this wonderful way of life. Now, after dozens of deer, plus hogs, goats and even bovine, the whole process is a natural yearly ritual that I look forward to. You can do this. If you have a partner, perfect. If not, you can still do this and learn a skill you can be proud of.
I did have the privilege of an experienced friend of my Dad who showed me how to cut up that first doe. It was here I learned the different muscle groups and what makes good steaks, roasts and burger. Since then I've simplified this even more. I hang the deer by the back legs with the gambrel and debone the shoulders in part and hams as one large unit. These go into a large cooler with ice layered under and over the meat. It can be cut up the next day or in a week, depending on my schedule. I've shot, skinned and butchered and frozen deer the same day, if there is time and the rest of my week is tied up. If I am too tired or have the time I'll leave it to cool for a while, though. From over 32 years of butchering deer I cannot see much advantage to letting it hang for days or weeks. To each his own.

trapper9260
04-10-2019, 06:46 AM
I had learn how to field dress a animal from my Dad doing cows when we do them up. We do not normal use a gun on them only if the use of a hammer did not work out for one reason or another. Beside cut them up. depend how fast need to be done up. It works for deer also beside other large animals.

AllanD
04-16-2019, 11:56 PM
I have found that if you are close enough to home to gut it there it is best to have a kiddie pool (find one and buy it now) you don't care about to contain the bigger mess, the darned things are cheap this time of year and they can also fold in half to push the parts you don't want into a garbage pail. last deer I did was a road kill that the car in front of me hit and since the "city lady" who hit it didn't want it the state trooper that was right behind me asked me if I wanted it... I said yes.
and tossed it into the back of my van and drove the mile and a half to gut it in the snow in my gravel driveway.

I had a kiddie pool to contain the worst of the mess a working garden hose to rinse the cavity and lots of snow to pack into the cavity to cool it down quickly.

Thumbcocker
04-17-2019, 08:59 AM
No need to gut road kills. Put deer on it's belly. Split the hide down the back from tail to neck or ears. Pull hide away. Fillet out back straps. Cut off front shoulders. Cut off back legs. Done.

sukivel
04-18-2019, 08:05 PM
No need to gut road kills. Put deer on it's belly. Split the hide down the back from tail to neck or ears. Pull hide away. Fillet out back straps. Cut off front shoulders. Cut off back legs. Done.

Nice! Especially for a mangled up critter!

OldBearHair
04-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Well that is OK to not gut the animal I suppose, but I am one of those guys that eat dove legs and savor the leg meat on a small squirrel. Try to not waste anything edible. BBQ deer ribs , yumm, neck roasts even better. But the mangled dirt and hair and whatever else meat, no.

AllanD
04-18-2019, 09:03 PM
How much meat you can get off a deer depends on just how badly it has been hit, and that dictates which procedure you use

Yes, if all you want is the two back-straps and you have a good sharp knife you can have them out in under 3min and be on your way

rking22
04-18-2019, 09:25 PM
A butcher told me there is a very short window of time to salvage any meat from a road kill. The blood settles in the meat, even what was not directly hit. Makes the skin on process a plus. At least salvage something from the coyotes!

trapper9260
04-21-2019, 01:54 PM

So states that if you are going to salvage a road kill deer you need to take the whole deer and not leave anything behind. unless you have a good spot to dump the guts. also cool down fast. I have read some where that someone in Iowa had cut the antlers off a deer and wrote them self a salvage permit and the game warden found out who it was and charge them for not take the whole deer. It was a deputy of the county .Check you state laws first before take road kill. Also know how long it been dead. I was told to not go over 1 hour of the kill. I normal make sure that as soon I seen the deer I will gut it right away.

sukivel
04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
I don’t think I would eat roadkill unless I saw it get killed myself...unless it’s opossum. That gets grilled at every stage of decomp! [emoji2955]

Thumbcocker
04-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Deer was removed from the road. Finances were lean at the time. Deer was hit in such a manner that guts were busted. Shoulders, hams, and back straps were recovered. Rest went to coyotes and other critters. I stand by my decision and actions.

rking22
04-21-2019, 07:06 PM
The one I processed had just been launched off my Regal’s hood at 50mph! Text the TWRA guy and he said he would drop me a tag if I wanted. Law says they of local law needs to
Give permission.

OldBearHair
04-21-2019, 09:22 PM
When you see them like off the Regal's hood, you cut the throat and bleed them out and then later harvest the good parts. I brought home a road kill deer that was dead a little longer once and deboned it out, then processed as you would to put in the freezer and finished up cutting everything into one inch pieces. Then shook the pieces in a big freezer bag with Sodium Benzote and a little salt. Dumped the pieces on a piece of plywood high up in the shop for a couple days. Then put in small plastic jars. Then in the freezer. As I would get ready to go to the trapline , put in one of the jars to use for coyote bait.. I checked one of the jars for smell a few days ago that had not been in the freezer and it just smelled a little old. Bobcat meat works well done like that. Here in Southeast Texas fire ants will eat all the meat bait quickly after they find it, so you have to rebait often using a long rod with a point to stab a piece in the jar then put it in the bait hole without getting your scent all over. Sodium Benzote is on the label as a preservative in many of our grocery items. I ordered bulk and the box is about 12 inches square by seven inches high. Works well when making your deer lure and coyote lure from the urine and glands. Oh, and my rat terriers usually clean up all the leftovers from the deer.

PbHurler
04-22-2019, 07:12 AM
You can search the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife site for in-class hunter training courses here:

https://license.gooutdoorsoklahoma.com/Event/Events.aspx