PDA

View Full Version : Question-Receiver sight for a 94 Mauser

Shootn
03-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Hello to all. I have a model 94 Swedish Mauser that has been drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.
The spacing is 5/8 inch. The rearward most hole is a larger diameter than the forward most hole. I don't
know the size of the holes at this time. I have looked ay Redfield and Lyman receiver sights. The Redfield has the
proper spacing, but the two screw for that sight look to be the same diameter. does anyone have any idea what sight
meets this description of what one might be correct? Thank you in advance! Derek

Texas by God
03-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Are the holes on the right side or the top of the receiver? A picture really would help us answer your question. I had a Swedish Mauser that was tapped for a Swedish rear sight and the holes were on top perpendicular to the bore instead of parallel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
03-28-2019, 08:35 PM
I don't know how to tell the size of a screw hole without actually screwing in the appropriate screw and finding that it fits. There are two things to contend with, the diameter of the screw and the threads per inch (or mm, if it's metric). If you have a local gunsmith he can probably give you the information you are seeking in short order. Most gunsmiths have screw kits purchased from places like Brownell's that contain the commonly used screws, and it's just a matter of finding which ones match up to your receiver's holes, probably about a 2 minute job if you're lucky. The replacement screws usually come in a multi-compartmented plastic box with a chart inside the lid that matches the compartments in location and which tells the size and threads per inch. There are only 5 or 6 sizes that are common in gunsmithing sight work.

But, if you're unlucky and the screws are metric, matching them is a bit more of a problem, but not impossible. There are also metric screw kits, and many of the bigger hardware stores stock supplies of the various sizes, and you can take your rifle in with you and experiment until you find a match.

A 5/8" hole spacing is not that uncommon, but you are correct that different size screws are a bit unusual. I have run across this once or twice before, long ago, and don't remember the manufacturers that used this system, but it doesn't really matter. Assuming that the drill and tap job was done properly and nothing is off center, you can adapt a sight with that hole spacing by drilling out and re-tapping the smaller hole to match the larger hole, and enlarging the holes in the sight base itself; or by making an adapter plate to screw over and using the existing holes, the plate itself drilled and tapped for the hole spacing of the sight you wish to use.

Shootn
03-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info. The holes are on the right side of the receiver and the stock has been filed to allow clearance.
I would post a pic but I am no good at that. haha

gnoahhh
03-29-2019, 11:28 AM
It would seem that possibly a previous owner had an issue with the threads in one of the holes and opened it up to the next size larger. No big deal. Try an 8-40 screw in it and if it fits simply open up the screw hole in the sight to accommodate the 8-40. You may well have to reduce the screw head diameter and height to fit the counterbore in the sight base. Anybody handy with tools can effect the switch in a few minutes.

Tedly
03-29-2019, 12:36 PM
One hole probably opened up to 8-40 and the other should be 6-48. Why it was opened is unimportant , just as long as threads are good and take hold of screws

Shootn
03-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Great advice folks. I very much appreciate it! Derek