OK I know the spelling is Guinea Fowl
But after seeing my Aunts yard , both spellings work

She called me a few days back and just said , she needed me to shoot something
Thinking Groundhogs I took the AR 15 with the Dead Air Suppressor on it
As she my live in the country , but has houses close

I get there after lunch and I see her yard with 15 - 20 Guinea Fowl in it
More in the field and around other houses

A house was sold a few months ago and since there has been the problem birds

She has called the Police and they "Talked" to the guy that owns the birds , but nothing was done

As we talked the lady that owns the farm land came over and gave me permission to hunt her land also
With the idea I will kill every one of those **** things on her land ( I am also allowed to shoot Groundhogs )

As I got ready , most of them moved to a angle I didn't like
So I only shot 3

I used a NOE 225 - 61 -FN - A2 bullet
Hornady case with 4895 powder and a Rem 7 1/2 primer

Faster than I wanted
But it works well

That is , IF you don't center shoot the bird by mistake LOL [smilie=b:

I will be hunting that farm a bunch

John

stubshaft
03-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Lucky guy!

country gent
03-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Guianas are a great alarm system. but they are a messy bird roost on roofs and leave dropping scratches everywhere. They do eat a lot of insects. They are good eating but must be killed instantly or the meat turns dark and strong.

bikerbeans
03-27-2019, 04:23 PM
There are 2 of them at my place. I tolerate them because they attack the lazy cats living in my wife's horse barn. My glenfield 60 is loaded and ready if i see a third one.

BB

gumbo333
03-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Think they are shotgun targets. We had a bunch on our farm when I was a kid, vividly remember them attacking me if I got too close to a nest, they would attack your head. As for eating, I remember them as awful, really awful, best used as cat food. I remember hunters from the city during pheasant season shooting some thinking that had a trunk full of pheasants . But they were great watch dogs. I would much rather have a dog!

nagantguy
03-27-2019, 05:24 PM
A vial nasty bird but absolutely delicious- ate them as a boy on great grandparents farm- as a younger man fresh out of the Corps me and best friend were turkey hunting and we had what we thought was a hen turkey coming out of the bean field to our decoy- it was a Guine hen and she proceeds to thrash that turkey decoy, my buddy asked- is that a game bird- after I shot I said “it is today” and after a spell in the smoker she was delicious!

trapper9260
03-27-2019, 05:28 PM
You got some good target shooting now. Might need to load more ammo.

pressonregardless
03-27-2019, 06:56 PM
The ones I have eaten were delicious & they will sure put a dent in the tick population
if you have them around.

jdfoxinc
03-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Center punch a puff of feathers.

JWFilips
03-27-2019, 08:45 PM
Those things you just grab them and a neck twist
Pretty tasty! Never heard of shooting them

mikwat
03-27-2019, 08:50 PM
We had these when I was a kid. Delicious, and annoying. But they eat the heck out of some ticks.

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Cook them like you would a chicken.

Be careful of them drying out, especially now that they are skinned.

I always skin my pheasants as I hate picking feathers. Too many as kid.

I place strips of bacon over the top of the bird as much as possible before roasting. Doing them like that in the smoker with a water pan helps to keep them from drying out. And, don't overlook brining. Any moisture you can get into that meat will help.

Texas by God
03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
I don't know anyone who's eaten "Ginnies" and we eat some weird stuff down here[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
03-27-2019, 10:08 PM
We had them when I was growing up. I thought they were a cool bird. We always had chickens, but often got random animals for fun. The guinea fowl wouldn't roost in with the chickens, they only roosted in one particular tree, out of hundreds on the property. They remind me of turkeys, and they make similar sounds. Never had a problem. We never ate them, as you couldn't catch them. We let them roam free, and eventually all got killed off. They were no worse than free roam chickens. Now ducks and geese are a nasty bird. They turn a big area into poop cement, and any water to mud in hours.

Still, if the guy doesn't have enough land, and won't pen his animals, that's his loss. A varmint is a varmint.

rancher1913
03-27-2019, 10:13 PM
they do a good job keeping snakes away.

JBinMN
03-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Footballs, with necks & legs. They make some funny sounds.
;)

NyFirefighter357
03-27-2019, 10:23 PM
They are considered poultry/livestock in Ohio, you may find yourself liable for damages and also arrest.

03-27-2019, 10:48 PM
I tried to establish some around the farm to control the ticks. They didn't take, but the fox liked 'em.

Chainsaw.
03-27-2019, 11:15 PM
Had an Old neighbor Lady across the way when I was a kid, she had a bundle of em. They annoyed everyone with their noise but they sure kept the snakes away and the bugs down. Never ate any, I've heard mixed reviews.

big bore 99
03-27-2019, 11:15 PM
We had them when I was a kid. Great watch dogs even better than geese. They roost in the trees at night. You need to shoot them in the trees to keep their meat good, otherwise they taste terrible. Eat a ton of insects too.

sixshot
03-28-2019, 02:21 AM
I shot some out of the trees while they were roosting in Africa, we didn't try to eat any of them, there wasn't much left after that 370 gr cast bullet center punched them out of my FA 475 Linebaugh at about 25 feet. They sure make a lot of racket.

Dick

country gent
03-28-2019, 11:59 AM
While listed as poultry in Ohio, Ohio isn't free range it has leash laws. Livestock pets are to be controlled and kept on the owners property. Damages to property by animals the owner is responsible. Neighbor went thru this a few years ago His tied dog killed a couple of the neighbors chickens that wandered onto property and got to close to the dog. Neighbor sued and lost. Was told it was the chickens trespassing not the dog.

We ate Guienies occasionally, We only had a few for a short time. As I said great watch dogs as are geese any thing comes in the yard you know about it. The Guinies would find the tallest tree or roof and roost there. Nicknamed them speed bumps since it seemed they were always getting hit in the road. We head shot them with a 22 rifle for the pot. Went out in the evening after they roosted and took them.

Mag357
03-28-2019, 10:30 PM
There are 2 of them at my place. I tolerate them because they attack the lazy cats living in my wife's horse barn.
BB
Dam lazy cats 😂

farmerjim
03-29-2019, 07:51 AM
I had over 100 about 12 years ago. They taste great, and their eggs are the best. Small hard shell and large yolk.

Johnch
03-29-2019, 01:35 PM
4 more today , all 4 head or neck shots with the 32 S&W Long H&R Barrel
Cast Bullet Tree Rat loads work well on them also LOL

All 4 will be eaten

#1 of the first 2 was broiled
#2 of the first 2 was cut up and BBQ'ed ... LOTS more will be also

John