PDA

View Full Version : 325 wsm reloading

gunwerkes
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Just wondering if there is another gun nut like myself out there that is testing loads for the 325 short mag. Would like to work up a load or two with the Winchester Supreme 780 powder.
Trying to reduce the number of different powders needed to handle a handful of calibers.
Seems Supreme 780 would do the trick.

22 Hornet= Active
243 wssm = Still active
300 win mag = still active
325 wsm = still active
338 federal= semi retired,:coffee::: maybe good deer cartridge, but not for Alaska
338 win mag
375 Ruger = Active
375 H&H= Retired
416 Rigby=semi active
458 Lott =active

Ben
10-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I only see two cartridges in your list that look like good candidates for a powder as slow as 780.

You don't mention whether you plan to shoot jacketed or cast or the intended bullet weights.

If you're asking for input ( and it seems you are ), you'll need to be a lot more specific with your choices of reloading components.

Ben

gunwerkes
10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
[
The bullets I'm using are 200 Gr AccuBond uncoated, the 200 Gr Barnes TSX and the 220 gr. Swift A Frame
Really feel that supreme 780 will work well in a number of these rounds since Winchester sells them in their supreme loads.
Just wish they would publish their load data for the powder.
Slow burn is not a disadvantage as I see it. Its the charge weight that needs to be worked with.
I don't believe I'm wrong in that assumption.
However I do understand that one should never assume anything when it refers to reloading or working up loads especially with a New component.
Very gratefully as I'm always eager for new knowledge.:coffee:

Ben
10-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Your last 4 rounds that you've listed, historically haven't performed at their best with slow burners like 780.

Cartridge manufacturers don't divulge the exact powder type or weight that they use to load factory rounds with.

What makes you think that 780 is used in Supreme loads ?

Heavy lead
10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
780 probably wouldn't be my pick for any of them, but may work in 243wssm, 300 win mag and the Rigby, I use Reloder 22 in the Rigby and like it. If 780 is a ball powder like 760, I for sure wouldn't use it, myself. I really like the Alliant Reloder powders and the Hodgdon Extreme myself. And of all the cartridges listed the 22 Hornet definately would not work.
It's a pain having a lot of powders, but, you could probably cover all those listed aside from the Hornet with 4895 and 4831 (or several others that fill those burn rates).

Ben
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Heavy Lead :

" Ditto " ......well spoken. Very good advice.

Ben

gunwerkes
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Ben
Actually Winchester advertises that the New Supreme 780 ball powder is the very same powder they use in loading their Supreme line of factory loaded ammunition.
And in the factory rounds Ive pulled it seems they are correct in making that claim.
I'm sure winchester is making a statement that the old W-780-BR (Out Dated) and Supreme 780 are in fact two very different powders.
Winchester would not try to mislead us.
At least thats my belief

Ben
10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok, I'm not all that familiar with the " New 780 ", I know that the old 780 BR was SLOW and your big bore calibers won't perform very well at all with slow powders.

Have you looked at Winchester load data online to see what they are offering in print for this " new 780 " ?

Would seem that if there is a dramatic difference in burn rate speed, ( old vs the new powder) that for safety reasons they would offer the powder under a completely different name to prevent any possible confusion ? ?

Ben

gunwerkes
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
:coffee:
Going to call both Winchester and Hodgdon and ask them specifically what loads with Supreme 780 they might suggest For specific calibers.
Over the years Ive noticed that they like to dangle the carrot so to speak, in front of ye nose and use the demand for more info as a tool to gage interests.
Almost seems like fishing.
I like velocities about 2800fps for heavy game. Especial furry kind.
You would be amazed at what Alders can do to bullets.
I want to thank you for all yer insight, it is treasured, informative, and welcome.

gunwerkes
10-28-2008, 07:53 PM
:-DContacted Hodgdon Powder,
Spoke with a tech, who emailed me 780 supreme powder loads for 300 Win Mag and also 243 wssm.
They have data for 10 different bullet weights from 150 GR. to 220 GR.in the 300 Win Mag,all using the 780 powder.
The 243 WSSM loads for this powder were for 90 and 100 GR. Bullets.
Would list this data here but do not feel comfortable quoting specs when they are not my own.
Hodgdon would likely Email the information to you if you gave them a call at 913-362-9455.
They also said they have not developed 780 powder loads for 325 WSM yet. They did say that as the burning rate of 780 is very much like H4831 and H4831sc they would likely be testing it application in the future.
Just thought this information might be helpful to others.:Fire:

gunwerkes
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
:-D From my original post cartridge list.:Fire:
Having searched Winchester 780 supreme powder loads. I have found that it is used in the following cartridges.
243 wssm
300 win mag
338 win mag
375 Ruger
416 Rigby
and soon to be 325 wsm
For me at least, that saves me having 4 other powders shipped to me.
And a lot more time and extra funds for new bullets and reloads.
Maybe this information may be helpful to others that would like to cut down on large inventories different powders.:)