PDA

View Full Version : lyman45 luber-sizer

dukers65
10-18-2008, 06:30 PM
i'm new at this business,and anyways the cylinder i thought was pressed in back out because of my error.as a result i stripped my lyman down to a bunch of what is its and thing a bobs.the only good thing is i've cleaned out the die housing
and the cylinder and re installed the cylinder after adding some locktite.

some how i managed to lose the the thing that sits on top of the lube tube
and that got me to thinking , am i throwing more good money after bad to get this 45 working again,or should i go after the lyman master kit plus if i do get the
4500 should i get the heater , or will the press work ok without it?

ahy input will be appreciated. dan

Maximilian225
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
i'm new at this business,and anyways the cylinder i thought was pressed in back out because of my error.as a result i stripped my lyman down to a bunch of what is its and thing a bobs.the only good thing is i've cleaned out the die housing
and the cylinder and re installed the cylinder after adding some locktite.

some how i managed to lose the the thing that sits on top of the lube tube
and that got me to thinking , am i throwing more good money after bad to get this 45 working again,or should i go after the lyman master kit plus if i do get the
4500 should i get the heater , or will the press work ok without it?

ahy input will be appreciated. dan

I real like the 45 I have. The one thing I did to mine was to replace the pressure nut with the new one that uses o-rings instead of the brass band. Was about 8 dollars after shipping for the pressure nut and two o-rings. In my opinion the 45 is as good a sizer as you can get without stepping on up to a Star. The press will work fine without a heater if you are using 50/50 type lubes. Depending on how much of a tinkerer you are you can use harder lubes by heating the lube with solutions ranging from a blower dryer, to an iron on a plate mounted under the sizer, to custom heater made from an iron with temp control. Below is a pic of the one I made before I built the cover.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/Maximilian225/Smelter/Lubrisizer%20Heater/LubrisizerHeater001.jpg

-Max
:castmine:

badgeredd
10-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I real like the 45 I have. The one thing I did to mine was to replace the pressure nut with the new one that uses o-rings instead of the brass band. Was about 8 dollars after shipping for the pressure nut and two o-rings.

-Max
:castmine:

Max,

Where did you find the pressure nut you described? The brass collar is my only gripe with the 2 45s I have.
Thanks,

Edd

Maximilian225
10-18-2008, 07:46 PM
On Lymans Website. It's under replacement parts for the 450 in the casting section. The 45/450/4500 all use the same pressure nut and screw.

you can browse from Lymans website or this http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html will take you straight to the parts list. You'll need a pressure nut and two o-rings for each of your 45's.

It's 14.00 after shipping for enough to do two sizers.

imashooter2
10-18-2008, 09:23 PM
When I bought my 2 nuts they came with O rings installed. That was only 2 years ago...

Maximilian225
10-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Might be best to call Lyman and ask if the nut comes with O-rings then.

hotwheelz
10-18-2008, 10:26 PM
I did the same to my 45 works great with the newer pressure nut worht the $8-$10 all day

badgeredd
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Maximilian225. I got them ordered and the 45s will be up to snuff again.