PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Gunsmith Hammer

Virginia John
03-26-2019, 06:48 PM
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but a friend of mine has a nice Wheeler Gunsmith Hammer that he has broken the plastic screw in head. Apparently Wheeler no longer makes this hammer or replacement parts for it. The threads on the plastic head are 5/8". The opposite head is brass and it functions just fine. Any suggestions on a replacement part?

LAGS
03-27-2019, 12:39 AM
I made a friend a new head for his changeable head hammer out of Glass Bedding compound.
I put JPW in the threads of the hammer and made a outside mold out of a plastic tube from a cleaning brush I bought for my shotgun, and JPW'ed the inside of it too.
I mixed the bedding compound with the Thickening powder for bedding compound to add a little strength and to keep it from running out little gaps around the mold to hammer.
When Cured for two days, it seemed to work .
It probably isn't as durable as the nylon heads, but it got him a non marring head on a hammed that he could not find parts for.

Remiel
03-27-2019, 05:25 AM
What about 3d printing one or taking a bolt and plastic welding it into a chunk of nylon then shaping the head as he needs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

alamogunr
03-27-2019, 12:17 PM
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but a friend of mine has a nice Wheeler Gunsmith Hammer that he has broken the plastic screw in head. Apparently Wheeler no longer makes this hammer or replacement parts for it. The threads on the plastic head are 5/8". The opposite head is brass and it functions just fine. Any suggestions on a replacement part?

Does it look like this?
http://tinyurl.com/y3x6ze62

Might be less trouble to just get a new hammer(or two).

waksupi
03-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Check Brownell's.

DDriller
03-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Have someone with a lathe turn one from delrin.

Green Frog
03-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Have someone with a lathe turn one from delrin.

^^ This ^^

Another possibility might be to buy one of those yellow clear plastic headed hammers and make a couple of heads for the Wheeler out of that head material. Regardless, I would suggest resurfacing the face of the head as it gets beat up and rough, then replacing the whole head on a fairly regular basis.

Froggie

onelight
04-02-2019, 07:23 AM
how about a slice of old screwdriver handle with a screw counter sunk to hold it on.

Petrol & Powder
04-02-2019, 07:51 AM
In terms of effort & cost vs. the final product - You're going to reach diminishing returns very quickly. I wouldn't spend a lot of time fabricating a replacement. Just use the brass side or buy another hammer.

LAGS
04-02-2019, 11:24 AM
@petrol & powder
I agree totally with you on the Deminishing Returns on trying to fix one thing at a time.
But set thing aside and repair them when you have other operations going on.
But some people can't even afford a spare hammer.
And repairing things Builds our Skill Level.
A wealth of Knowledge and a good skill level is something you can put in the bank for the future.

country gent
04-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Check the tool supply houses for replacement heads. the threads are most important here as they have to match the hammer. From there length and size can be gotten close and machined to match. Getting the right material for the job is important, some nylons Teflon's derlins will chip or break under impacts.

W.R.Buchanan
04-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Check with Midway USA , they were the main distributor for Wheeler Engineering products.

Randy

izzyjoe
04-08-2019, 08:23 PM
I wonder if a rubber bumper off a walking cane would slide over the hammer end.

B R Shooter
04-09-2019, 04:12 AM
Check Brownell's.

I have a hammer from Brownells that is exactly what you describe.