PDA

View Full Version : First Batch Eds Red Mistake

AlaskaMike
03-26-2019, 01:16 AM
I'm looking for some opinions from those who have lots of experience with Ed's Red. I have many bottles of solvent which work fine for me, so I wanted to make up something that was more lube than solvent.

I stupidly messed up while trying to make my first batch. For some reason I can't fathom at the moment I thought the recipe called for boiled linseed oil. So what I have now, thankfully in just a 4 oz. bottle, is equal parts of the following:

Kerosene
ATF (Amsoil synthetic)
Odorless mineral spirits
Boiled linseed oil

After I realized my mistake I'd already seen that it mixed fine with no weird activity. I researched boiled linseed oil a little more, and noticed that odorless mineral spirits is normally used to thin it out, so clearly there should be no adverse interaction between those two. I'm not sure about possible interaction with the kerosene or ATF though. I used a little of my concoction to wipe down a crusty pair of channel lock pliers, and it helped smooth out operation nicely, but I didn't really expect anything different.

I'm embarrassed to admit I know basically nothing about boiled linseed oil, other than it's used in stock finishing. This also means I know nothing about it's characteristics, and how it would change the characteristics of Ed's Red.

Those of you intimately familiar with Ed's Red and its individual components, what's your opinion of my accidental addition of the boiled linseed oil? With only 4 oz. I'll probably just dump it in with my used oil for the recycler, but I'm curious if what I have will still be useful for wiping down tools, etc.

I'm thinking it shouldn't hurt anything, but the boiled linseed oil also probably adds nothing at all beneficial.

Thanks,
Mike

Ford SD
03-26-2019, 01:23 AM
I'm looking for some opinions from those who have lots of experience with Ed's Red. I have many bottles of solvent which work fine for me, so I wanted to make up something that was more lube than solvent.

I stupidly messed up while trying to make my first batch. For some reason I can't fathom at the moment I thought the recipe called for boiled linseed oil. So what I have now, thankfully in just a 4 oz. bottle, is equal parts of the following:

Kerosene
ATF (Amsoil synthetic)
Odorless mineral spirits
Boiled linseed oil

After I realized my mistake I'd already seen that it mixed fine with no weird activity. I researched boiled linseed oil a little more, and noticed that odorless mineral spirits is normally used to thin it out, so clearly there should be no adverse interaction between those two. I'm not sure about possible interaction with the kerosene or ATF though. I used a little of my concoction to wipe down a crusty pair of channel lock pliers, and it helped smooth out operation nicely, but I didn't really expect anything different.

I'm embarrassed to admit I know basically nothing about boiled linseed oil, other than it's used in stock finishing. This also means I know nothing about it's characteristics, and how it would change the characteristics of Ed's Red.

Those of you intimately familiar with Ed's Red and its individual components, what's your opinion of my accidental addition of the boiled linseed oil? With only 4 oz. I'll probably just dump it in with my used oil for the recycler, but I'm curious if what I have will still be useful for wiping down tools, etc.

I'm thinking it shouldn't hurt anything, but the boiled linseed oil also probably adds nothing at all beneficial.

Thanks,
Mike

I would not use it on firearms
Linseed oil dries... or put it this way... it will gum up

.. just my opinion ....

LAGS
03-26-2019, 01:54 AM
I use linseed oil to slow the drying time on Enamel Paint and to make it flow better for a smoother finish.
But it does Dry.
But you can probably use what you have to protect things like sheets of steel or steel bars that you plan to store for some time to protect them from rusting.
What you made will lubricate at first, and probably remove some rust.
But like has been said, it will dry and gum up on moving parts.

JimB..
03-26-2019, 03:41 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil is Linseed Oil plus some stuff (heavy metals as I recall) to reduce the time it takes to polymerize. Your Kero and Mineral Spirits will evaporate leaving the BLO and ATF which I expect will separate and then the BLO will start to dry. I don’t know if the semi-hard layer of BLO will form above or below the lubricant, but neither is an attractive outcome.

egg250
03-26-2019, 06:28 AM
It may work short term, but you would not get the long term protection that Ed's Red is reputed for. You might experience some gumming, even if you clean your guns often, especially in the hard to reach areas. It's relatively inexpensive, throw this batch out. I use 1 part each A1 Kerosene, Odorless Mineral Spirits and SuperTech ATF. Three gallons costs approx $40 and it will last for years. Pump kerosene works as well, but it leaves a bad smell, similar to automotive parts cleaner.

Gewehr-Guy
03-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Your mixture might be a decent wood preservative, use it on an old shovel handle and give us a report!

nun2kute
03-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil is Linseed Oil plus some stuff (heavy metals as I recall) to reduce the time it takes to polymerize. Your Kero and Mineral Spirits will evaporate leaving the BLO and ATF which I expect will separate and then the BLO will start to dry. I don’t know if the semi-hard layer of BLO will form above or below the lubricant, but neither is an attractive outcome.

I woulnt hesitate to use it on old rusty tools out in the garage. But I wouldn't get it anywhere near my guns. At least not in its liquid state. However ALL the wooden furniture in my reloading room has a BLO finish on it. Easy to work with and repair, and leaves a beautiful amber tint to the wood. ( I guess that make that first statement a Lie !) That shovel handle is an excellent suggestion.

Minerat
03-26-2019, 10:22 AM
I think I would write it off for use on guns. Either use it on tool handles or mix with cat litter and dispose of properly.

Outpost75
03-26-2019, 10:31 AM
It would be effective to treat mange on dogs and mules...

AlaskaMike
03-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Much appreciated everyone--I'll save it to wipe down tools and possibly shovel handles then and make up a new bottle with the correct blend.

Thanks!

AlaskaMike
04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Thought I'd post a quick follow up on this. I left the 4 oz. bottle of my mistake mixture alone for several days, and this weekend I saw that it had a white sediment layer several millimeters thick at the bottom. It was like an extremely fine layer of silt. Anyhow, I dumped it and I'm happy I didn't use it on anything I value.

pworley1
04-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Once you get it right you will like the Ed's red.

uscra112
04-01-2019, 01:38 PM
It may work short term, but you would not get the long term protection that Ed's Red is reputed for. You might experience some gumming, even if you clean your guns often, especially in the hard to reach areas. It's relatively inexpensive, throw this batch out. I use 1 part each A1 Kerosene, Odorless Mineral Spirits and SuperTech ATF. Three gallons costs approx $40 and it will last for years. Pump kerosene works as well, but it leaves a bad smell, similar to automotive parts cleaner.

I'll disagree. I've protected exterior gun metal from rusting for many years by wiping on linseed oil for long term storage. Never have tried to compare to Ed's Red with lanolin, but I know it has protected some of my antique crocks for over ten years, even thru a time when they had to be stored in the cold, where metal can sweat. It's especially good for places that are under the wood. For removing it, I use (properly formulated) Ed's Red. The O.P.'s inadvertent formula is NOT a lubricant, however, and should not be allowed to get into the internals. There, it will gum up.

Burnt Fingers
04-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Ed's Red lube:
2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil.
1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

Cleaner:
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part kerosene, deodorized K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone
Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

There ya go. The actual Ed's recipes. If making the lube make sure you get the original Hoppe's and not the synthetic. I mixed up a batch of both, I've used over half the cleaner, the lube, well I'll still have some if I live to be 100.