PDA

View Full Version : 44 rifle POI between 300gr 240gr

bmortell
03-25-2019, 07:40 PM
so my newer marlin 44mag is sighted in with a 300gr at 1450fps, its 1.720 length and .360 meplat so its not remotely close to be able to cycle at all. but its what I use as deer load so im sighted with that. didn't get a deer yet but its hits on target fine 25-75yds and I plan on loading the tube with something else incase of backup.

but anyway today I was trying to get the lee 240tl swc PC'd to hit the same point as the 300gr. fist I tried a 4227 load at 1500 and it hit about 7in high at 50yds. so not very helpful. also tried h110 for 1700, unique for 1300, 7gr trailboss, switched to special case and tried 5 and 4gr trailboss with some LLA on the bullet just in case. and even the ridiculously slow one hits about 5in high at 50yds. not that id shoot a deer with 4gr trailboss but I wanted something that hits the same for practice. and uh it kind of seems impossible which I found strange.

have you's seen the same difference in your gun? idk what else to try, I have a round ball mold which might be different but idk if it would be accurate. I have skinner sights so I might have to figure out how many turns down for 240gr to do my practice. just really thought it would be possible to make em hit the same spot with different velocity.

Minerat
03-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Put them is a exterior ballistics program and monkey with the Velocity till they cross at the same point of impact (POI) at the distance you are interested in and then load accordingly.

i.e., lets say a 7mm 160 gr may be dead on at 100 yards when velocity is MV 2750 fps, but a 149 gr will be dead on @ 100 yds when velocity is MV 2500 fps.

Then remember gravity sucks. (simplified physics)

This means that the heavier the bullet the faster it falls so that at any point on their paths they will either be converging on the chosen POI or will diverging from the chosen POI. I tend to try to pick the maximum point of aim to say within a 6 inch diameter circle for the heavier bullet then accept the lighter will be close within reason.

bmortell
03-25-2019, 08:23 PM
I did use a calculator, the lee 240 at 1500 and my 300gr at 1450 have trajectory with in 1 inch to 200yds. but the calculator assumes your zeroed with both, which is impossible apparently.

going back to the calculator now id have to have a MV of 550fps to be 3.4 high at 25 and zeroed at 50, which is the same as saying it drops 6.8 total at 50 based on the muzzles line of sight, unless im thinking wrong. but theres still the difference between how the 300gr load at this new one moves the gun during internal ballistics which cant be accounted for right? idk my head hurts now

longbow
03-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Can't help with the trajectory thing as I have not compared heavy weight trajectory with middle weight boolits.

I couldn't seem to get any sort of decent accuracy past 50 yards or so with boolits over about 280 gr. (keyholes at 100 yards) so didn't pursue the heavier boolits in my Marlin with 1:38" twist. It seems to shoot 265 gr. just fine so I decided to limit weight there.

If you want to shoot longer OAL than the stock Marlin allows, it is easy to file the cartridge stop back to allow considerably longer OAL. I did mine.

As for round ball, yes you can load and shoot round balls but I found that velocity was pretty limited or accuracy got poor and since my intent was for small folks shooting and for plinking (easier on lead) I bought an Accurate Molds 43-165B which I quite like. It is 165 grs. TC designed I had Tom scale down from a .45 design he had. So far out to 50 yards it shoots quite well and takes hotter loads than a round ball did. My round ball loads were with 0.440" RB's sized to 0.434" which puts a bit of a band around the middle giving them a bit of bearing length.

Longbow

bmortell
03-25-2019, 10:16 PM
is that still a valid method for the cartridge stop? im asking because when I looked for instructions some of them said their gun could only do 1.580 length, mine I pushed a keith in 10 thou at a time and it starts to work at 1.680, so idk if the parts are different now, I gotta be pretty sure before id start filling my parts down.

bmortell
03-25-2019, 10:37 PM
I watched a shell moving in the gun to visualize this and it seems if the rim was much farther back while feeding it would come up between the backside of the notch of the ejector and the bolt face, meaning the bolt would push the cartridge rim into the ejector to make it lay flat and it seems to get stuck since its made for the bolt to push the ejector flat as it moves forward.

and beartooth says you can modify up to .100 off, which by coincidence is what mine can already do longer than posts from 10 years ago.

so given this evidence im gonna say they come from the factory now pre-modified for .100 longer shells.

Minerat
03-25-2019, 10:44 PM
According to my program you should be within a quarter inch at 50 yds using those velocities and weights. With no change to sights.

onelight
03-25-2019, 11:36 PM
I’d be tempted to find a 300 grain that would feed instead of 240 might come closer to same POI

winelover
03-26-2019, 07:10 AM
I am currently using a 300 grain cast SWC bullet in my Marlin 1894 carbine for deer hunting. I don't have feeding issues, though. Never had to rework the carrier. I use 2400 powder, exclusively. I find that bullets in the 250-265 range will shoot close enough to the POI of the 300 grainer for deer hunting use with the same powder charge. One can tweek the powder by
+ or - 1/2 grain.

I test my loads the way I hunt. Sitting, with only the forearm resting on a tripod supported front rest at 60 yards. Rarely does a shot over 75 yards, present itself. Try to do all my testing in cool weather, mimicking the conditions I expect to hunt in...............paying close attention to POI of first shot out of a cold barrel. Limiting the number of shots to groups of three and allowing adequate cool down between groups. My carbines's POI tends to rise and groups get tighter, the warmer the barrel gets. Same with ambient temperature.

Winelover

longbow
03-26-2019, 08:50 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?7750-Modifying-the-Marlin-1894-for-a-longer-cartridge-OAL

It worked for me and if you mess it up a carrier replacement is easy and not terrible expensive.

If you seat boolits deep you don't have to do this but if you want to crimp in the crimp groove of long nose/heavy boolits and OAL exceeds 1.610" you may be out of luck without the modification.

I believe the Ranch Dog 300 gr. design would feed in stock Marlins. Kinda wish I had bought a mould when he was supplying them! Could get a copy from Accurate though.

Longbow

bmortell
03-26-2019, 09:23 PM
I just ordered a modified design from accurate. since it seems the max for feeding in my gun is 1.68 length and .300 meplat, I got a rnfp design which makes 1.64 OAL and .280 meplat. idk what the weight will come to 255-260 maybe. I didn't want a 300gr that cycles cause Im picky about how much length I put in the case.

if it hits close to the 300gr ill probably still hunt with one in the chamber. either way I should be a happy camper in about 2 weeks. he normally gets molds out early.

kungfustyle
03-26-2019, 10:53 PM
If you get a BDC Nikon scope you could sight it in right on with a 1700 fps 240g on the cross hairs and then use the ranging circles for the 300 gainers. I get about a 12" difference at 100 yards with mine.

Norske
03-28-2019, 12:00 AM
My 1894 doesn't shoot the Lee 310 SWC worth a darn. However, a 245 gr Kieth SWC and 20 gr 2400 powder interlocks bullet holes. But my Ruger SBH shoots both very well. There's a big difference in twist rate of those two barrels.