PDA

View Full Version : What decal/resizing die do use on your progressivepress?

03-24-2019, 07:58 PM
I have a Lyman and an RCBS. Neither is beveled, so I can’t get the brass to feed on my LnL AP.

Suggestions please.

L Erie Caster
03-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Dillon, they are spring loaded and beveled and made for progressives.

Burnt Fingers
03-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Dillon, they are spring loaded and beveled and made for progressives.

I'm slowly switching over to Dillon dies. They just work better on a progressive press.

Walks
03-24-2019, 08:46 PM
I have Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady & even some Lee dies, all work fine for me. Is your die plate tight enough. Of course I no longer size/decap on the press.

I no longer need to load that fast anymore. and I can no longer prime on the press anymore , so It's sort of a moot point for me. I go for quality rather then quantity these day.

kayala
03-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Dillon, RCBS and Lee for few calibers. Mostly Dillon, but all of them work just fine.

oldhenry
03-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Dillon except my Redding .38 spec/.357 set......which I wish was a Dillon.

Henry

375supermag
03-24-2019, 10:29 PM
Hi...
Currently running two LnLs...the one set up for large primers with Hornady dies.
The one set up for small primers is using RCBS dies.
That may and probably will change as more calibers are setup for each press.

I have a Dillon 550 that I need to set up and get running...not sure what dies I will be using.

onelight
03-24-2019, 11:45 PM
I have a mix of RCBS Lee Hornady Redding like most guys who have been loading many years.
They all work well in most of my use.

Winger Ed.
03-25-2019, 12:34 AM
Back when I had a Hornady Pro-Jector progressive and only used it for .45ACP and .38Spec.-

I used Lee, then Hornady carbide sizers. I can't remember if they were beveled,
but getting a case started up in them was never much of a issue.

The new Hornady progressive uses the same shell plates as the old one,
so I figure it'd all work the same as the older model.

contender85
03-28-2019, 06:40 AM
I switched to Dillon dies for my progressive (550B), I have used the others and they worked but prefer the Dillons, the radiused opening and spring loaded decapper work great.
Mark

ioon44
03-28-2019, 07:57 AM
I have been getting rid of my older Dillon dies and going to the new Hornady dies for my 550.

onelight
03-28-2019, 10:11 AM
I use all brands if I have a problem in a particular application I lurk around the cast Boolit forum some one there has a solution.:bigsmyl2:

rbuck351
03-28-2019, 05:37 PM
On my Star press I use Star dies, On the lee pro 1000 I use lee dies, on the Dillon 550 I use what ever dies are handy. The Star requires special dies, the Lee 1000 needs the Lee powder through die to work with their powder measure. The Dillon will take any die that deprimes on the first station which is almost any newer 7/8x14 dies set.

Winger Ed.
03-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Something to try would be to get one of those round ball looking grinding stones and bevel it yourself.

That can't be much more than what the manufacturers do.

Just get a good one. The die will be harder than Chinese Algebra, and will eat the cheap ones.

Baltimoreed
03-28-2019, 06:30 PM
My prefered dies are rcbs, carbide dies when available though I have a couple of other brands. Never cared for lee dies but I do use their seater dies, the long rifle expander will pull through the collet nut unless it’s tightened by that guy at uberti who installs screws on their 1873s, the floating expander grabs the case and then pops loose. I size, deprime, prime, expand, charge and seat the bullet on my dillons and Lyman turrets. Thats why they’re called ‘reloading’ presses not bullet seating presses. I do use a big Bair press with one hole for my ‘06, 30-40, and 45-60.

Moleman-
03-28-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm still using a Hornady Pro-Jector with mostly Lee dies, with some Hornady, Lyman, redding, C&H, RCBS, and others thrown in. The only cartridge I have any issue with is 30carbine with the lyman die set if I go too quickly I'll occasionally get some that hit the smaller bevel of the lyman die set. Everything else runs great.

j4570
03-29-2019, 06:19 AM
This may sound like a weird question but is the bench level? By that I mean the shellplate where the case stands up too. I have a 550 and LNL. The LNL is more sensitive to case tipping but make sure your shell plate is tight enough too. Long skinny cartridges are more of a pain like 38 special. Are you using a casefeeder? I use RCBS dies mostly. Dillons do have more of a flare. I have an occasional hang up. You do have to be smooth with press handles and not jerk it up nd down particularly with the LNL using a casefeeder. And if the bench wiggles that will cause problems too.

lightman
03-29-2019, 08:05 AM
All of my pistol dies are either RCBS or Dillon and work fine on my Dillon. The older RCBS dies did not have a radius on the mouth but the newer ones do. I'm slowly acquiring Dillon dies for the calibers that I load on the Dillon and would buy Dillon dies up front if I could go back.

jmorris
03-29-2019, 08:50 AM
I use all sorts of different brands. What problem are you having specifically? What are you trying to load?

Something like a .223 won’t matter much what brand die you use because the decapping pin/expander will be inside the case and align it before the die gets to it.

Pistol cases are generally where folks have problems, if you are only having issues at station 1, just make sure you put the case all the way into the shellplate. Also make sure you have the appropriate shellplate in place.

onelight
03-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Dillon is one of the few brands I don’t have but have heard they are well designed for progressives
The newer Lee dies also seem to have more champher on the mouth of the sizer than some other brands I have .Maybe you could take your die to the store and compare to other brands.
You can order just the sizing die in most brands.

03-30-2019, 12:22 AM
No case feeder, and bench is level and solid.

I use all sorts of different brands. What problem are you having specifically? What are you trying to load?.

Sorry, I left out that little detail. 9mm brass. It’s the only caliber I have a problem with. The shell will not align, and enter, the sizing die(s). The dies are at least 20 years old. Niether is beveled/ radiused.

As mentioned above, I probably just need to order a sizing/decamping die. I can’t see trying to grind a carbide die with a ball stone. Could that even work?

retread
03-30-2019, 12:28 AM
Sorry, I left out that little detail. 9mm brass. It’s the only caliber I have a problem with.

I run Dillon dies on my 550 for 9mm. They work flawlessly. If not for the expense I would switch over to Dillon in all my calibers but the mix of dies I have now seem to be doing the job.

jmorris
03-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Sorry, I left out that little detail. 9mm brass. It’s the only caliber I have a problem with. The shell will not align, and enter, the sizing die(s)

9mm is tapered, so the mouth of the die is going to be larger than the mouth of the case.

Does it happen all the time or every now and then, like 1 out of 5 times? If it’s intermittent I have gotten a speck of corncob stuck to a station of the shell plate that has kept a round from being seated correctly.

Conditor22
03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Something to try would be to get one of those round ball looking grinding stones and bevel it yourself.

That can't be much more than what the manufacturers do.

Just get a good one. The die will be harder than Chinese Algebra, and will eat the cheap ones.

50 Pc Diamond Rotary Point Set HF $19.99 (less the 20% coupon :))

many uses like cleaning up/sharpening sprue plate holes, rough boolit sizing die openings,---, another "cool tool"

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-pc-diamond-rotary-point-set-69665.html

You never mentioned what press you were using it on.

It may not be indexing properly. I had to adjust my loadmaster when I got it + the 9mm shell plate is one size fits many so it's a little sloppy :(