PDA

View Full Version : A Different Crimp ?

hylander
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM
.45 ACP, 200SWC, .452

If I do not use the Lee FCD, none of my reloads will Fully chamber,
they stop about .010 from fully chambering on their own, except the ones that are Remington Brass which is thinner than other Brass.
I checked me Sizing ring in the FCD and it is .471
Bullets are .452 and most brass is .010 thick.
So looks like I have a total of .472, which coming back out of the Die gets sized to .471.
Seeing how I only need a .471 Crimp, it would seem that I do not even need to set the crimp, just run the round through the FCD without any crimp.
Am I over thinking this ?

hylander
10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
After running the rounds through the FCD that measures .471, it only sizes them down to .473
So I still have to use the Crimp set to .470 - .471

Bent Ramrod
10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Is there a remnant of the bell on the mouth of the case after you have seated the boolit? Sometimes it doesn't take much to stick a round, especially in a match pistol chamber. The thinner Remington brass might not turn out as much and is probably easier to "debell" by the action of the slide chambering the cartridge. Can you run the rounds deeper in the seating die?

hylander
10-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I got it figured out :mrgreen:
I kept reading that OCL is best at 1.250
Well that just won't do with my Springer or Colt Barrel.
Bullet contacts the Chamber shelf at that OCL.
Bullet must be set Below 1.245 to fully Chamber.
Also I read that the best Crimp is .469, well that crushes the bullet to much.
I made several dummy rounds at .470, and after popping out the bullet with an enertia puller, the top ring of the bullets were crushed to .451 and as low as .449
Yes taper crimp, not roll crimp.
So my new measurements are as follows:
OCL = 1.243
Crimp = .471
With the crimp of .471, when the bullet is removed, the top ring still
measures .4515
I also Belled the case mouth a bit more.

With these new settings, my rounds drop right in, Perfect fit 8-)

hylander
10-22-2008, 01:45 AM
WooHoo :cool:
Not a single Hickup and Purty Accurate to boot ;)
This load functions in my CMC Power Mag and my Factory Springer Mags just fine.
Also leading was Minimal.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/Modern/Handguns/Springer54HP-38200SWC.jpg

MtGun44
10-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, that will absolutely WORK!.

Well done. Inadequate TC is the primary problem with FTC in 1911s. Second
is too long boolit seating with a SWC, full diam shoulder jamming in the throat
of chamber. Looks like yours was #2.

:drinks:

Bill

NSP64
10-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Also leading was Minimal.

did you slug your barrel? are the boolits ACWW/WDWW/HTWW?

NSP64
10-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Also I forgot. Good shootin:drinks:

Dale53
10-23-2008, 11:59 PM
hylander;
The "proper" way to set overall length for the 1911 platform is to remove the barrel, hold it vertically and drop the loaded round into the barrel. The base of the case should be level with the barrel hood. If the case base is "proud" of the barrel hood, the slide will not close. Done properly, this will then headspace on the bullet. That will give you VERY consistent ignition which helps accuracy as well as functioning. If there are slight irregularities in overall length and the bullet is a cast bullet you won't have a problem (the bullet will seat into the lands). You might find that you need slightly more clearance (shorter overall length) if you use jacketed bullets. Jacketed bullets are much harder and will not seat into the lands.

Taper crimp is really used for two purposes. One is to iron out the mouth flare of the case. The second, and it is VERY important, is to keep the bullet from deep seating when it hits the loading ramp. If the crimp is not sufficient, you can have the odd round deep seat a bullet and this can raise pressures to a significant level (I have seen guns blow from this, particularly from unsupported chambers). The most often suggested taper crimp level is .470". I also am a fan of the Lee Factory Crimp die and believe very strongly in using a separate die for bullet seating and one for crimping.

FWIW
Dale53

hylander
10-24-2008, 12:02 AM
did you slug your barrel?
Yes: .451

are the boolits ACWW/WDWW/HTWW?
Could I get that in English ? :lol:
I don't cast yet, I get them from;
http://www.mastercast.net/contact.htm

hylander
10-24-2008, 12:19 AM
hylander;
The "proper" way to set overall length for the 1911 platform is to remove the barrel, hold it vertically and drop the loaded round into the barrel. The base of the case should be level with the barrel hood. If the case base is "proud" of the barrel hood, the slide will not close. This will then headspace on the bullet. If there are slight irregularities in overall length and the bullet is a cast bullet you won't have a problem (the bullet will seat into the lands). You might find that you need slightly more clearance (shorter overall length) if you use jacketed bullets. Jacketed bullets are much harder and will not seat into the lands.

Taper crimp is really used for two purposes. One is to iron out the mouth flare of the case. The second, and it is VERY important, is to keep the bullet from deep seating when it hits the loading ramp. If the crimp is not sufficient, you can have the odd round deep seat a bullet and this can raise pressures to a significant level (I have seen guns blow from this, particularly from unsupported chambers).
FWIW
Dale53

Thanks for mentiong this :)
That is exactly the process I used to detemine the OCL.
Mine measured 1.246, so I gave a couple extra thousandths to be sure they stay off the Lands.
I tested crimp at .472 and got no bullet setback when chambering
( I tested several rounds), in fact, I rechambered a few rounds more than once to see if I got set back and all was fine, my finished rounds are Crimped .471 just to be sure.

Dale53
10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
hylander;
It sounds like you are "good to go":drinks:

Dale53

Reloader06
10-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Good "working" the problem. I sometimes have a problem with a Springfield Omega. Some commercial ammo wont chamber until I run them thru my crimping die, then no problem. That "Match" chamber can be a pain. Took me a while to figure it out but now I check ALL ammo that goes through it. BTW nice shooting. Looks like you've got yourself a shooter and a load.

Matt

Dale53
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I have a Lee Factory Crimp die as the last stage on my Dillon. This effectively takes care of any problems that might arise. I sure wish this crimp die had been available when I was shooting IPSC. 75,000 rounds that each had to be checked in a gauge before shooting:confused:.

Now, I have the rounds automatically "checked" as they run through the Lee Factory Crimp Die during my regular reloading sequence. Another amazingly good innovation from Lee Precision.

Dale53