PDA

View Full Version : Changing rear sights on CVA Mountain rifle

stick
03-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Would like to go from original CVA Mountain rifle rear sight to an adjustable one. Is this possible with the pictured rear sight? Found one that says it should exchange. Bottom pic is the one I want to change to. The top one is the original still on the rifle 238515
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238516

Edward
03-24-2019, 07:10 AM
Bottom needs drill and tap top is dove tailed/Ed

pietro
03-24-2019, 11:08 AM

You need a Williams fully-adjustable dovetail rear barrel sight ($24)...…

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-wdos-dovetail-open-sight-u-blade/

https://williamsgunsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/wdos-1593-100x100.jpg

FrontierMuzzleloading
03-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Yes the bottom sight will work as long as you have the threaded dovetail insert shown in the picture.

KCSO
03-24-2019, 04:14 PM
If you look closely the sight you want to change to should have a dovetail adapter, the gizzie with the screw on the bottom. Slide the adapter into the existing dovetail and screw the thing down...done.

indian joe
03-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Would like to go from original CVA Mountain rifle rear sight to an adjustable one. Is this possible with the pictured rear sight? Found one that says it should exchange. Bottom pic is the one I want to change to. The top one is the original still on the rifle 238515
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238516

man that thing is UGLY!! (the bottom picture)
yr original sight is elegant by comparison - it is screw adjustable for elevation - dovetails give you windage
zero the rifle at 100yards with a decent stiff load in it - you will kill anything you can hold on from muzzle to 130 yards

you got you a "problem" where the cure is way worse than the disease :grin:

LAGS
03-25-2019, 05:44 PM
I can understand why some people want to go to what others think is an Ugly Rear Sight.
Like most people, your eye does not pick up a good sight picture on All sights.
There may be a different style that is suited for your eyes better, like a Large Flat backed sight over using a Buckhorn with a very fine notch.
Pick the sight with the sight picture that suites your eye or style of shooting best.
But if you want to have a rear sight that can be adjusted for Windage to compensate for wind drift, then be reset to where it was when the wind dies down, then a screw adjustable for windage sight in better for what you need.
I would just rather rely on my Experience an Kentucky Windage with a ML like they did in the Old Days.
But you still have to have a rear blade that suites you, and a notch that suites your eye in combination with the front blade you like.

indian joe
03-25-2019, 06:38 PM
I can understand why some people want to go to what others think is an Ugly Rear Sight.
Like most people, your eye does not pick up a good sight picture on All sights.
There may be a different style that is suited for your eyes better, like a Large Flat backed sight over using a Buckhorn with a very fine notch.
Pick the sight with the sight picture that suites your eye or style of shooting best.
But if you want to have a rear sight that can be adjusted for Windage to compensate for wind drift, then be reset to where it was when the wind dies down, then a screw adjustable for windage sight in better for what you need.
I would just rather rely on my Experience an Kentucky Windage with a ML like they did in the Old Days.
But you still have to have a rear blade that suites you, and a notch that suites your eye in combination with the front blade you like.

Lags
Poor eyesight almost put me out of shooting for several years, eventually I figured I could still do it if I made sights I could see - the latest experiment I made on a 28inch barrel I have a .145 front blade and a .090 rear notch - that front sight blade looks kinda stoopid but the combo works ---my flinter is a bit less extreme, 39 inch barrel with a front blade .105 and corresponding rear notch - rear sight is 23 inches ahead of the buttplate and 6 inches down the barrel. I usually cut the rear sight dead flat on top but the flinter wears a full buckhorn and seems to work. No fine notches tho - you got to be able to see em. With you on the kentucky windage thing - I hate messing with sights during shooting.

LAGS
03-25-2019, 08:31 PM
As I say, It is your own rifle.
If it works for you, then don't care what anyone else thinks or says.
But I think it is Stupid for people to put on a sight just because it Looks Cool or a better shooter uses that sight.
If it ain't right for your eyes, then it isn't going to make you a better shooter.
One sight don't fit all.
And Joe, what you did is perfect for you. Sounds like it kept you in the game.
Now, because I recently had eye surgery, I may have to re-evaluate all my sights because my vision has got way better.
I don't know if it has improved my shooting.
But I will sure be able to see what I missed.