PDA

View Full Version : 44 special vs 45ACP

tazman
03-23-2019, 11:57 PM
I have been sitting here thinking and wondering about something and came up with a question I haven't seen asked on this site. It may not interest everyone but here goes.

44 Special vs 45 ACP
Both fired in revolvers with the same length barrel. Both suitably accurate and using as close to the same weight boolits/bullets as possible. Both using standard pressure loadings, no +P.
Using the revolvers gives each cartridge the ability to use identical bullet/boolit types and nose configurations so we won't be comparing apples and oranges.
I am thinking in terms of normal/nominal projectile weights, not heavy for caliber even though I know that is a possibility with this setup.

Would one of them be significantly better for hunting/self defense than the other or are they so close as to be nearly indistinguishable?

I haven't done anything with a 44 special since the mid 1990s and can't remember much about the cartridge other than I liked it.

Winger Ed.
03-24-2019, 12:09 AM
Without doing research, and looking at a bunch of minor details or hair splitting-- they are rather similar.

The main difference was the .44 with it's rim was made and evolved for revolvers.

The .45ACP came along for automatics, and was sort of adapted to fit in revolvers.

For hunting, I'd think whichever one was faster for the boolit weights would do a little better,
even if it wasn't enough to notice. I'm a big 1911 guy, but I do like the idea of a rim more
than headspacing on the case mouth.

Gray Fox
03-24-2019, 12:10 AM
I have two of the Charter Arms .44s, one original 3" blue in excellent condition and a more recent stainless with the shrouded 2.5" barrel. The trigger pull on the latter is better. I have looked at trying to find one of the newer ones in .45 acp with its unusual extractor, but I think I will stay with the .44s since the HKS speed loaders and the Quick Strips are so easy to use. I have model 625s to work with the .45 and moon clips. I doubt that a 240-250 grain SWC or RNFP of either caliber delivered to a critical area would show much difference in terminal ballistics.

Hickory
03-24-2019, 12:19 AM
Although I perfer the 44 special as a revolver cartridge because it has a rim, I think the 45 acp might have an edge in the ability to be a better stopper because of its larger diameter. Provided both are loaded a factory velocities.
However, the 44 special can be loaded at higher velocities and pressures then the 45 acp.
Make mine 44 special.

Bigslug
03-24-2019, 12:28 AM
"Standard pressure" for a .44 Special, given the cartridge's age and black powder origins is a bit of a wiggly topic, but assuming a decent modern gun, it is certainly capable of duplicating .45 ACP. Pretty much a wash, really.

I'd be looking at it from a logistics point of view: Are you also feeding a lot of 1911's? Do you regard moon clips as a royal PITA? How do you feel about Auto Rim brass? Are you looking to download in a .44 Magnum? What molds are you already sitting on?

RED BEAR
03-24-2019, 12:41 AM
As i see it there is very little difference in the two calibers . When used in a hunting or self defense situation i seriously doubt that any difference can be found. The 44 spec was never a black powder cartridge it came out in 1907 as a smokeless powder cartridge. The 45acp was developed in 1905 so almost the exact same time period. The original loadings gave the edge to the 45acp but current loadings are so close that it is pretty much a moot point.

Walks
03-24-2019, 12:55 AM
Why should you be forced to standard pressure loads in .44SPL ? Use a good SWC or FP over a good charge of 2400 or 4227 in a Modern Made Gun and you have a cartridge/load that will take down most NORTH AMERICAN Game.

Why limit yourself if you don't have to.

tazman
03-24-2019, 04:03 AM
Why should you be forced to standard pressure loads in .44SPL ? Use a good SWC or FP over a good charge of 2400 or 4227 in a Modern Made Gun and you have a cartridge/load that will take down most NORTH AMERICAN Game.

Why limit yourself if you don't have to.

I don't currently, own a 44 of any stripe. Experience has taught me that my wrists cannot handle the recoil of high pressure 44 loads(arthritis).
Also, for personal reasons, I will not load a low pressure cartridge beyond what it is designed to do no matter the gun I will be shooting it in.

knifemaker
03-24-2019, 04:10 AM
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Go to the above link and check out the tests done on the 45ACP pay close attention to the bottom Winchester loads that had good penetration and expanded to almost a full inch in dia. I doubt you will get a FACTORY 44 SPEC. LOAD to do that due to the lower velocity that round is loaded too by the factory. Most of the loads in the links were shot in short barrel guns that are common concealed carry guns.
Now if you hand load similar RNFP bullets or SWC type bullets in both calibers, they will be so close in performance for human self defense use that you should not see any difference in performance. Most improvements on revolver-pistol bullets have been made on the calibers that are typical calibers used for self defense. 44 spec. is not one of them. Also a lot of bullets you buy for reloading 44 caliber are geared to the higher velocity you get out of a 44 mag and come up short on expansion in the lower velocity 44 spec. On you tube, there is a test of the 44 special using cast penta style hollow points using very soft lead with 2% tin that preformed very well on expansion in the gel block. The standard round shaped hollow point were a failure on expansion loaded the same as the Penta style cast lead bullet. The alloy was 97% soft lead with 2% tin and powder coated to prevent leading in the barrel. A charter arms bulldog was the revolver used in the tests.
Before I retired from law enforcement, I was a firearms instructor and for the past 20 years have tried to stay current on bullet performance in self defense shootings. There has been some big strides made in the past 5-6 years that have influenced many law enforcement departments on what ammo they supply their officers.

winelover
03-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Cartridges are basically a wash, in terms of comparison. For me the choice was logistical. I don't own anything chambered in 45 ACP. However, I do have firearms chambered in 44 Magnum/44 Special. Therefore, I already had the dies, moulds and appropriate powder.

Winelover

onelight
03-24-2019, 08:07 AM
It seems to me with similar cast boolits not much difference score 45 to 43 if you want to use store bought j bullets 45 has much bigger selection designed to work at the velocities you get in this comparison

RJM52
03-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Did a lot of shooting in the 1980s with the .44 Special before switching over to .41 Magnum. The .44 is really all one needs in terms of hunting/target/self-defense as it can be loaded to a level to take care of any kind of business. Also the specialty companies have loads that can be used in any modern revolver.

Have owned several .45 ACP revolvers over the years. Couple of 25-2s, Mountain Guns, 625s and a Taurus Tracker. Didn't have any for a while but recently got back a gun I traded off 10 years ago and always kinda regretted...a S&W 625-7 Performance Center...one of the more accurate Smiths I have ever owned.

Since the S&W revolvers will run any kind of .45 ACP ammo, standard and +P, plus Auto Rim, it makes them a pretty versatile gun. From what I have read many shooters also use the .45 Super in their guns with no ill effects.

The moon clips aren't too bad to deal with if you get a loading and de-mooning tool.

Shot some .45 AR from the 625-7 and a 1917 the other day. 7.0 grains of Unique behind:
MeHic 205 HP
MeHic 215 Solid
Lyman/Keith 245 grain
Standard 255 SWC

No pressure signs in any of the loads, cases dropped right out and all very accurate.

If I was just going to have one revolver that had to do everything it would be a S&W Mountain Gun in .45 ACP simply because of the variety of ammo available...

Bob

dverna
03-24-2019, 08:31 AM
If the bullets are the same construction and weight, then look at the velocities. There is your answer.

Good points made about availability of factory bullets and that the .44 Spl bullets may be more aimed at the Magnum. But for cast, it boils down to velocity.

RED BEAR
03-24-2019, 08:33 AM
I also will not overload any cartridge. Got myself in trouble when younger and dumber doing this. There are some pretty stout 44spec loads out there. I would be more than comfortable using ether gun. If one floats your boat more than another then go with it. Tazman i know what you mean arthritis ain't no joke.

TNsailorman
03-24-2019, 08:49 AM
I have a S&W Model 22-4, a Thunder Ranch revolver with a 4" light weight barrel. Action is smooth and slick. It is a .45ACP/AR and shoot it with confidence that it will handle any 2 legged thing that might threaten my health. 230 grain hollow points hit with authority. It lays within 2 feet of me at night on the nightstand. Anyone who break into my house(God forbid) is own his own. Oh by the way, a tomahawk lies even closer between the mattress and the bed frame side rails(last ditch weapon but effective). I would feel just as comfortable with a .44 Special or even a .44-40. I also have a Model 13 and a Colt Detective Special I can call on. My wife has her Model 15 laying within 2 feet of her also. Also within 4 feet of me is a Remington 870 with a 19" barrel, the best defense gun you can have inside a house. My .02 anyway, james

onelight
03-24-2019, 08:55 AM
I am with Red Bear if I want hot 44 special loads I put them together in 44 mag cases so no chance of them winding up in the wrong gun same with 38/357 the gun choice in this thread would drive the what’s best for me. I do like the smith mod.69 for this power range for an all purpose gun.
Sorry don’t mean to hijack.

Fernando
03-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Comes down to action type preferred.
Plenty of loads around 950fps with lead in 2 to 240ish weight range.
Pick your platform and play.
.44 would be more versatile but am thinking about picking brass up again myself.
That was reason I got out of autos some years ago but the bullseye bug has bit me
lately.

Drm50
03-24-2019, 09:52 AM
I have S&W revolvers in 24-29 and 25-2/ 25-5. I don't shoot hot loads and only cast boolits in any of my S&Ws.
These cartridges loaded to 750-850fps with original weight bullets would preform very close to the same. The 29 down loaded to 44sp doesn't do as well for accuracy as the 24. I find this true when down loading the 41mg for
S&W 57 too.

Earlwb
03-24-2019, 09:59 AM
I also agree in that there is no differences between the two cartridges. The two are almost identical in performance. The 44 special was derived from the 44 Russian and it was popular as a target caliber for many years. The 45 ACP sort of supplanted it as a target caliber in the later years. That was mainly due to the availability of ammunition for it at the time.

Thumbcocker
03-24-2019, 10:23 AM
A little research will show that there were in fact .44 special cartridges loaded with black powder. If we are talking handloads at standard pressures Power pistol will let you push a 250 grain boolit at 900-950 fps out of a revolver. I spent much time and effort trying to get convertible Ruger .45's to shoot well with .45 colt. The ACP cylinder always shot better but my current flat top .44 specials shoot rings around any ,45 Ruger I ever had. I have a Smith model of 1898 that is just plain nts on accuracy and shoots as well as the .44 specials. In my experience, with current powders and shooting at standard pressures the .44 special would win.

26Charlie
03-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Have several of each caliber. Your initial premises make the argument a wash - the cartridges were designed for different purposes. If you want to shoot a 250 grain bullet, .44 is it. If you want a seventh shot, .45 auto is it. That is what I mean about your premIses.

reddog81
03-24-2019, 10:55 AM
They are very close. IMO anything .44 Special can do .45 ACP can do slightly better if held to SAAMI pressures, however you’re basically splitting hairs. I prefer .45 ACP because the rounds can be used in revolvers or autoloaders, cheaper and easier to find brass, easier to buy bullets or molds, .45 will use slightly less powder due to the more efficient case.

Dan Cash
03-24-2019, 11:03 AM
In my unscientific experience, the .44 Special has a better reach than the .45 ACP but the .45 ACP is a better killer of things weighing 40 to 180 lbs when both are using a truncated cone bullet in the 220-230 grain range with a .30 meplat. Just my experience.

Drm50
03-24-2019, 11:47 AM
That is interesting. I only had one Ruger BH 45/45acp and found the opposite. I bought one when first out and the ACP didn't shoot as well as Colt. All cast and sized same. That would make me think it would be a case of the individual gun. We already know there is variations in production demensions in all manufactures. I bought only
one New Model Ruger BH and since don't buy Ruger SAs. I get them on trades but don't shoot them so I can't remark on them.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Not much difference on 'man' sized critters. In a fight, the 'full moon' clips of the 45 Auto in a revolver might be an advantage. A 240 grain SWC in either cartridge would work about the same. Wider wound channel vs more penetration? Do both revolvers give the same accuracy? Based on an N-frame S&W. Little gun vs big gun? Alloy vs steel?

DougGuy
03-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Sticking to standard SAAMI pressures, you give up a lot of terminal energy with factory 44 Special loads compared to factory 45 ACP loads. On paper, the 44 delivers much less stopping power than the 45 ACP.

Loading the 44 Special with the same 230-ish grain boolit is indeed loading it heavy for caliber, as most factory 44 Special loads do not exceed 200gr.

When you get to handloading the 44 Special, or buying specialty ammo such as Buffalo Bore or some of the other high performance defense ammo, then you can step out a bit beyond even the 45 ACP+P loads in energy and velocity.

Medium frame Rugers in 44 Special will easily handle 25,000psi pressures with 6 round cylinders, the frame itself is plenty strong enough for 36,000psi 44 magnum loads, although this would require a 5 shot cylinder to add thickness to cylinder walls.

In short the only thing really limits the 44 Special, is your pocketbook!

Texas by God
03-24-2019, 03:32 PM
I've always considered them to be close cousins with original loads. .43 246gr LRN @750fps vs. .45 230gr FMJ@ 800 fps. I like both but I only have .45 autos so I guess that's my preference for that power level. I like the .41 magnum but beyond that I'll use a carbine or rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gnostic
03-24-2019, 03:54 PM
The moon clips are a royal PIA, that's why I no longer own a 1917 S&W. The 44 special drops into the cylinder like the rest of my revolvers. The clips require you load and unload them and the extractor groove in some brands of cases, are different from one brand to another. So, some cases fit tighter in the clip than others. The rimless case in a revolver is a bad idea, I'll never own another. Also, I doubt you'd get the velocity the loading manual suggests with the 45 ACP, because of the cylinder gap in a revolver...

reddog81
03-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Sticking to standard SAAMI pressures, you give up a lot of terminal energy with factory 44 Special loads compared to factory 45 ACP loads. On paper, the 44 delivers much less stopping power than the 45 ACP.

Loading the 44 Special with the same 230-ish grain boolit is indeed loading it heavy for caliber, as most factory 44 Special loads do not exceed 200gr.

When you get to handloading the 44 Special, or buying specialty ammo such as Buffalo Bore or some of the other high performance defense ammo, then you can step out a bit beyond even the 45 ACP+P loads in energy and velocity.

Medium frame Rugers in 44 Special will easily handle 25,000psi pressures with 6 round cylinders, the frame itself is plenty strong enough for 36,000psi 44 magnum loads, although this would require a 5 shot cylinder to add thickness to cylinder walls.

In short the only thing really limits the 44 Special, is your pocketbook!

But you can load 45 ACP to those same levels in any of the guns you are referencing and do it for cheaper. Looking at 45 ACP and 44 Special Buffalo Bore offerings shows overlap of the velocities for similar weight bullets. The barrel length of the gun has more effect on velocity than the difference between the 2 calibers.

Petrol & Powder
03-24-2019, 04:19 PM
I think DougGuy comes pretty close to hitting the nail on the head in his post (#26).

In FACTORY loadings, with bullets of similar weights, there's probably not a huge difference in performance (although the platforms are very different).

As for diameter, we're not talking big differences there either, .429" vs .451" or 0.022" total diameter.

As I've said repeatedly, the 44 Special (loaded within SAAMI restrictions) is overly restricted by ridiculously low SAAMI standards. If you could push a 240 grain, LSWCHP 44 bullet with the same psi that you can push a 230 grain JHP 45 bullet (21,000 psi), it would be a different game. Due to the low pressure limit for 44 Special, I think the 45 ACP has an edge - but only when SAAMI limits are observed and the bullet weights are similar.

The 15,500 psi SAAMI limit for 44 Special is very close the 15,000 psi limit set for the 45 Auto Rim but significantly below the 21,000 psi limit for 45 ACP.

RED BEAR
03-24-2019, 04:50 PM
i will agree the 44spec replaced the 44 russian which was black powder . But the 44 spec developed in 1907 was developed as a smokeless powder load. While there may have been some company that loaded it with black powder that was never the intention. It was and has always been a smokeless round. Now i have seen some references that state it was a lenghtened 44r russian to enable it to hold 3 more grains of black powder but nothing to say it was actually loaded with it. Knowing that cartridges are not developed over night it may have been the intention to load black powder originaly but the final product that went into production was a smokeless round.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-24-2019, 05:48 PM
The .44 Special is the most versatile cartridge in catagory. With modern guns the .44 Special can be loaded very light, and can be cranked up enough to knock a pterodactyl out of the sky.

It’s at distant the .44 Special shows it’s superiorty, I own several .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers which I shoot .45 Schofield in. The .44 Special hits downrange more reliably than the .45 Colt and .45 Schofield. At 25 yards both rounds perform almost equally.

I did shoot a man at 80 yards with a .45 1911, he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Loudenboomer
03-24-2019, 07:16 PM
The 45 acp and 44 spl. are so similar. I guess I'd be asking questions like what platform do you like the best and do you want to share molds and or dies with a current caliber. I have .44 spls. in the Flat top Ruger and a 3 inch bull dog. My .45 acps are on the 1911 platform. IMHO this is the correct places for these calibers. If you did care to warm things up a hot .44 spl. moves ahead of the +P 45 acp in short order. A hot .45 Colt does the same to the 44 spl. but I don't think this was the direction of the orig. post.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Loudenboomer: Please explain how you have accomplished the same thing with a hot .45 Colt as with a .44 Special.

Bigslug
03-24-2019, 10:38 PM
For what it's worth, I just went over to the HKS Speedloader website and checked their product numbers.

Model 25M will allow you to speedload Auto Rim brass into the 1917/25/625 pattern revolvers.

If, as you say, you don't have a .44, but are already in possession of various .45 molds, this might simplify your existence. Keith's 452423 for the Auto Rim is of course, an ugly root beer barrel of bad news. There's also the NOE/Ranch Dog TL452-234RF that in the early stages of the group buy/design phase, someone had the BRILLIANT idea of converting the front TL groove to a crimper so the bullet would be warm and fuzzy in both autoloaders and sixguns. The RG versions give you both cup point and full hollowpoint pins, so there is a lot of versatility with that one.

WehrmannsGeweher
03-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Elmer Keith never bothered with the 45 ACP ------ just sayin.

TNsailorman
03-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Elmer Keith was a single action man. He did on occasion shoot the 1911 and proved to Army brass that it was a longer range weapon than any of them believed. But he was an exceptional shooter at distance.

WehrmannsGeweher
03-24-2019, 11:36 PM
Actually he was a DA and SA man. No 45 ACP/AutoRim load can come close to a stoked 44 Spec or 45 Colt (not the 45 "long" Colt, there is only ONE 45 Colt.)

I love my 1911 but would never chose it for serious work over a properly loaded 44 Spec or 45 Colt, although my 10mm GRAND comes close.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-24-2019, 11:45 PM
I couldn’t get my cast 452423 to chamber in any of my 3 Colt’s 1911’s no matter how I seated it. I would feel confident with the 452423 in defensive shooting distances out of a revolver.

onelight
03-24-2019, 11:50 PM
Have several of each caliber. Your initial premises make the argument a wash - the cartridges were designed for different purposes. If you want to shoot a 250 grain bullet, .44 is it. If you want a seventh shot, .45 auto is it. That is what I mean about your premIses.
You can get revolvers for both from concealed cary size to field target size.

bullseye67
03-25-2019, 12:46 AM
Good evening,

If I had to choose 1 only. My pick would be a S&W 5” in 45ACP. The one I have is very accurate with my standard 45ACP target load and very quick to reload with moon clips. I like the shorter case length and I can carry 4 belt clips and have 24 backup shots. I figure if I miss 30 times....

I also have a 5” S&W 44Mag...just doesn’t feel right shooting 44 Special..not saying I wouldn’t use it...just not my first choice.

I have actually re-though my “What do I really need” process. I used to think that a 38/357 would be the perfect **** carry revolver. I have now decided I will be walking around with a S&W 45ACP revolver and a bunch of moon clips loaded up. I have come to realize a 1/2” boolit before expansion is probably going to make a bigger hole coming out. I also find the recoil much easier to take with a 45ACP. More of a push and less of a slap, especially with a solid 800fps SWC like the H&G #68.

I am going to keep my comments, but was just wondering.....Doesn’t this sound just like the 308/30-06 debate??

Have an awesome week!!! Spring has sprung our tulips are up and tomorrow is a day off for me, so I am going to shoot !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Whelen
03-25-2019, 03:10 AM
Both fired in revolvers with the same length barrel. Both suitably accurate and using as close to the same weight boolits/bullets as possible. Both using standard pressure loadings, no +P.

Notice, he did NOT say factory loadings, he said standard pressure loadings, i.e.- handloads at SAAMI pressures for each cartridge- .44 Special @ 15,000 psi and 45 ACP @ 19,000 psi

Using the revolvers gives each cartridge the ability to use identical bullet/boolit types and nose configurations so we won't be comparing apples and oranges.
I am thinking in terms of normal/nominal projectile weights, not heavy for caliber even though I know that is a possibility with this setup.

I have both and enjoy both, in fact In about a week I will take possession of a S&W 1917.

That said, I believe the .44 Special has the advantage for a few reasons.

IMHO, where terminal performance is concerned, there's not enough difference in the diameters of the two calibers in question to matter if they're used in the field or in a self defense situation. What hunting I've done with the .44 Special and 45 Colt has shown me that deer/hog size game are going to die no matter which caliber one chooses.

I've always felt that penetration is the most important thing when using handgun cartridges. The "standard" load 45 ACP 230 gr. bullet has a sectional density (S.D.)of .161. The "standard" load .44 Special uses a 246gr. bullet whose S.D. is .190. So realistically one could drop back to 210 gr. bullet in the .44 Special, which can be loaded to 1050 fps or more @ 15,000 psi, and still have about the same penetrative qualities as a 230 gr. 45 ACP. Or to keep things even, one could load a 230 gr. bullet to 1000 fps and acquire even better penetration. Heck it's no big deal to achieve 950 fps @ 15,000 psi with a 255 gr. cast bullet in the .44 Special. Most of my handgun game has been killed with such a load and I know first hand it works splendidly.

So really the only advantage the 45 ACP has at all over the .44 Special is a larger diameter bullet.

35W

RED BEAR
03-25-2019, 01:05 PM
I admit i am a 44spec fan but i don't think there is a wit of difference between the two. They are so close ballistically that for all practical purposes there is no real difference. If you like one better than the other then thats the one you should use.

StrawHat
03-25-2019, 01:41 PM
I have been sitting here thinking ...

44 Special vs 45 ACP ...

I am thinking in terms of normal/nominal projectile weights, not heavy for caliber even though I know that is a possibility with this setup ...

Would one of them be significantly better for hunting/self defense than the other or are they so close as to be nearly indistinguishable?...

Identical revolvers, identical bullets at normal pressure ( or even +P) would give nearly identical results. Near enough that in flesh you could not tell the difference.

Even calculating the Taylor Knock Out number (bullet weight in grains X velocity X bullet diameter / 7000) would give results close enough to be considered the same.

Having said that, I have chosen to use the. 45 ACP and have a couple of them. Trying to consolidate the number of cartridges for which I reload.

Kevin

M-Tecs
03-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Would one of them be significantly better for hunting/self defense than the other or are they so close as to be nearly indistinguishable?

For self defense full moon clips are a big advantage for double action 45 ACP revolvers. In single actions they are basically equal.

JoeJames
03-25-2019, 02:54 PM

In short the only thing really limits the 44 Special, is your pocketbook!I have not actually bought factory 44 Specials in a year or more. I prefer more accuracy, but I have not seen any under 240 grain factory loads. Elmer Keith usally used between 240 and 255 grains IIRC. I always run 240 grain lead SWC's. Either .430" or .431" in diameter. Both my 44 Specials are Rugers; one a Blackhawk, and the other a GP100. Elmer Kieth was certainly kicking around after the 45 acp was developed, but his favorite was the 44 Special.

gwpercle
03-25-2019, 03:30 PM
If all you can remember is that you liked the 44 Special....then go with the 44 Special...
You must of had a reason for liking it .
I prefer the 44 Special in revolver format .
Gary

rking22
03-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Case capacity carries it for me. Personally I don’t care about factory loads so all reloading for me. The greater case capacity let’s the 44 special do the same job as the 45ACP with lower pressure. Less muzzle blast for the same performance. Now the 44 can use more slower powder to safely improve the performance, Skeeter load or some 2400, still staying in < 22,000psi realm with better sectional density bullets. The 44 special has more potential than the 45 in revolvers, and no stinking clips! In factory trim, no difference, but we are handloaders. Ultimate use and barrel length comes into play as well. Pick the one you like.

tazman
03-25-2019, 10:34 PM
If all you can remember is that you liked the 44 Special....then go with the 44 Special...
You must of had a reason for liking it .
I prefer the 44 Special in revolver format .
Gary

After thinking about it some more, I remembered the reason I liked that cartridge. It was because of the revolver I used it in.
I had a 6 inch model 29 S&W that had been magnaported. It didn't help the magnums enough so I could shoot them comfortably, but it did make the 44 Specials very nice. That pistol was very accurate also.
I am not set up for 44 caliber at all at this point. I am well set up for 45ACP. I am giving some thought to picking up a Smith revolver in 45ACP. In that regard, I was thinking about differences between the N frame 44s and the N frame 45s. I remember the one and haven't experienced the other yet. Probably would be about the same depending on the individual gun.
I don't mind the moon clips. I have a 929 that uses them.
I think I need to find a target shooter nearby who has one I could try out.

Forrest r
03-26-2019, 02:06 AM
I have yet to see a revolver chambered in 45acp keep up with the 44spl when it comes to bullets 250gr or heavier. Doesn't matter if it's 2 1/2", 4", 4 1/2", 6", 6 1/2" bbl.'s. Why level the playing field by using lighter bullets? It's like using 110gr/125gr in snubnosed 38spl's and then comparing them to the 9mm. Start using 160gr/170gr bullets in the 38spl & the 9mm struggles.

knifemaker
03-26-2019, 03:57 AM
Forrest r, you are over looking the fact the original poster stated his wrists can not take the recoil of a heavy loaded 44 which rules out heavy 44 bullets loaded over the factory specs of a 44 special. 45 acp would be better suited for him and they are far cheaper then 44 special.

Forrest r
03-26-2019, 06:53 AM
Forrest r, you are over looking the fact the original poster stated his wrists can not take the recoil of a heavy loaded 44 which rules out heavy 44 bullets loaded over the factory specs of a 44 special. 45 acp would be better suited for him and they are far cheaper then 44 special.

the OP stated:

I don't currently, own a 44 of any stripe. Experience has taught me that my wrists cannot handle the recoil of high pressure 44 loads(arthritis).
Also, for personal reasons, I will not load a low pressure cartridge beyond what it is designed to do no matter the gun I will be shooting it in.

People like Brian Pearce have done a lot of leg work on the 44spl. A link to such work & on page 37/standard pressure loads/15,500psi or less loads you can clearly see 950fps+ loads using 2 different firearms.
http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

I do find it interesting that you don't know standard pressure 44spl loads will easily push a 250gr cast bullet 950fps+ in 4" bbl'd 44spl's.

Personally I've done a little head to head testing with the 44spl vs 45acp. I understand that all firearms are not created equal but in my limited experiences with testing over chronographs I found:
My friend at a gunclub I belong to had a 2.5" bbl'd pitbull chambered in 45acp. I've carried/used 2.5" bbl'd bullgods for decades. Even with standard 44spl (15,500psi or less) the pitbull (45acp) couldn't keep up with the heavy bullets in the bulldog (44spl)
I owned a 624 with a 6.5" bbl for years, my brother has a 6.5" bbl'd 25-2. It would be a fare statement to say we did a lot of shooting/testing with those 2 revolvers. Oddly enough the 44spl/heavy bullet/standard 15,500psi or less loads were too much for that 25-2. Same thing happens when I pit my 4"bbl'd 29 against 1911 commanders, the heavy bullet/standard pressure wins.

Anyway thank you for correcting me knifemaker.
Perhaps you could share your head to head testing with standard pressure 44spl loads (15,500psi) and the bullets you've used in your testing of the 44spl vs 45acp.

JoeJames
03-26-2019, 09:52 AM
I have found that with 240 grain lead swc's running at @ 890-900 fps in 44 Special there is just not enough recoil to be noticeable, and as a matter of fact I have let folks who were kind of reluctant to shoot a 44 Special due to assumed recoil, try a few rounds, and change their opinion. In my part of the Ozarks that big old boolit running at 900 fps is plenty enough to handle anything I might run across... feral hogs, deer, you name it.

charlie b
03-26-2019, 01:33 PM
After thinking about it some more, I remembered the reason I liked that cartridge. It was because of the revolver I used it in.
I had a 6 inch model 29 S&W that had been magnaported. It didn't help the magnums enough so I could shoot them comfortably, but it did make the 44 Specials very nice. That pistol was very accurate also.
I am not set up for 44 caliber at all at this point. I am well set up for 45ACP. I am giving some thought to picking up a Smith revolver in 45ACP. In that regard, I was thinking about differences between the N frame 44s and the N frame 45s. I remember the one and haven't experienced the other yet. Probably would be about the same depending on the individual gun.
I don't mind the moon clips. I have a 929 that uses them.
I think I need to find a target shooter nearby who has one I could try out.

I think you have it down to the essentials. Difference is really, 'do you want to use moon clips or have the rimmed cartridge.' Performance wise they are basically the same for the same amount of recoil.

Economy wise, if you are already set up for .45 and not for .44 then stick with the .45. If the .45 revolver will cost more then consider difference in cost of setting up for reloading the .44.

Me? Depends. If defense only (or competition) then moon clips make a lot of sense. If plinking or field work then the option of partial reloads would move me toward the rimmed cartridge.

Reverend Al
03-26-2019, 10:33 PM
If worse comes to worse do like I did ... own both! I have 2 S&W 624's in .44 Special and a S&W 625 in .45 ACP ...

:Fire: