PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Centenial

StarMetal
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Yup the 06 is going to be 100 yrs old, hard to believe. Winchester is coming out with two new rifles to celibrate this, one a custom bolt gun and the other a fancy single shot with octagon barrel. Winchester also has a new semi-auto rifle out and they have an 18 in barrel Model 94 Hunter take-down in big bore calibers. Browning has brought the T-Bolt 22 back. Savage is putting their accu-trigger on more rifle and they are now on the 22 rimfire line. Marlin is coming out with a 24 inch barrel 30-30 to make better use of the new Hornady pointed ammo for lever actions. Lot of new stuff.

Joe

The Nyack Kid
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
so sorry starmetal
you dont mind if i grump some on this thread to do you ?
lots of new stuff that is really the same old with a differant paint job.
i dont care much for the 1894 bigbores .they need to make there big bores on the 1886 if it is going to be done right . yah i know scope ! scope ! scope ! I wish that winchester would get off of their duff and come out with some better ideas for the 30-06 centenial . what does this costom bolt rifle look like ? how about a limited run of M-1885s
M-1895s and 1903 springfeilds ? those are the rifles that made the 06 famus . i mean when the 30-06 came out what winchester chaber it in . they can't say that they didn't see this coming . darn bean counting SOBs and while im at it ,the only savage that makes me sit up and beg is a 1899 26in otagon takedown chambered in 303 savage or maybe 358 winny HAH that will be the day . im sort of glad that the big outfits are coming out with new stuff . but they aint taking it far enuff IMO .
im going to go and hide now .

StarMetal
12-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Well Kid, the single shot they propose IS on an 1885!!!! Yeah, yeah, how bout that huh? Hey, I'll take a take-down in anything they make it in, they are way cool. By the way I did mention that 1885 has an octagon barrel, but the receiver is engraved too.

Joe

Mel-4857
12-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Speaking of Savage 1899's. Picked one up a 303 Savage takedown on Sunday at a gun show. Lots of outside wear but the bore was reasonable and its still fit snug to the receiver. But it was mine for only a few hours because I bought for friend whose wanted a 303 Sav for quite a while. It'll give him a winter refinishing project. He's a happy guy and it only cost him $225Can($191Amer). Says it'll only be shooting cast. Slowly getting more guys shooting cast at the club. Mel

The Nyack Kid
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
1885s are sweet guns , that is for sure . don't know about the engraving or plating though . i like my guns in plain jane hardworking blue , every once in a while , i get a hankering for case hardening but that is as fancy as i like to go . my favorite gun finnish is plain blue (honestly not abused)worn down to silver ( best if i did the wareing ) i would love to get a winny 1895 in 30-06 (and 30-40 and 405 and 35 ) but i can't even afford to buy a bullet mold at the moment so i got to dream on .

Dutch4122
12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
i like my guns in plain jane hardworking blue , every once in a while , i get a hankering for case hardening but that is as fancy as i like to go .

Same here! Although I gotta admit the Marlin 1894SS and 1895GS stainless outfits i've picked up the last couple of years sure are pretty. Now if I could just get over the "pretty" aspect of it and get 'em out to the range.

9.3X62AL
12-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Ditto to a remake of the 1895 lever gun in 30-06, even if it's a Rising Sun Replica. No fancy scrollwork or decoration, just a good working rifle with a Lyman aperture sight available.

I don't ask for much, eh?