PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Homemade lead shot dripper...

Kev18
03-22-2019, 06:52 PM
I rigged up this abomination trying to make it work all day. I dont know what im doing wrong. Im using the lee lead furnace with a homemade ramp and a water container to catch the shot. I also made my own dripper from a bolt I drilled. The shot comes out a decent size. its mostly round which is good enough for me! My only issue is that I dont know how to get rid of the tails... they all look like tear drops! WHY!? Iv'e been trying all day.
I heat up the ramp, change my container to catch them to a cylinder... nothing worked.

Do I needd a longer ramp? Less heat? Im going mental trying to figure this out.

At first the lead would popcorn up since it was to hot. So I fixed that. Now its only the **** tear drops! How do I get rid of them and get spheres?!
https://i.imgur.com/dRUtj59.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Im2l2QR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Xi0MbaS.jpg

megasupermagnum
03-22-2019, 07:26 PM
I hate to say it, but you are going to have to go back to the drawing board. Look at a shot maker, and take note of the lip, which is probably the most important aspect of making good shot. On my Littleton, instructions say to clean perfect, buff lightly, and coat with welder chalk. That's besides that it needs to be the right temp, right angle, right height, right length, etc. A cut off chunk of bed frame wont cut it. Drop from lip to coolant needs to be close, I get mine less than 1/4".

rancher1913
03-22-2019, 07:34 PM
first thing is to learn to use the search function in the upper right hand corner, could have saved you hours of frustration. look up ghosthawks thread on his homemade dripper, lots of photos of several members set ups that produce usable shot.

just from a quick observation your ramp is way to long, mine is about 3/4 inch long. having the shot drop down may be hurting you as well, most drippers are sideways and the lead kind of bounces, spins and hits the coolant. water is not a good coolant.

skeettx
03-22-2019, 07:58 PM
And graphite the ramp

Rcmaveric
03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
You ramp is super long and what kind of coolant? I use pure straight dollar store fabric softner.

Your ramp should be about an inch long and super hot. If the ramp is cold you will get a stream. Get the ramp super hot. Heat and ramp angle will make the lead skip down the ramp like a stone across a pond.

You want the ramp from .25 to .75 inches away from the coolant. There is a point at which the lead shot is round as it skips off the ramp due to surface tension. Yoy want to freeze its shape then. Falls too far before turning solid then you get tear drops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
03-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Coolant vat needs to be deep enough to cool the shot as well.

GhostHawk
03-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Like rcmaverick I have had good luck with dollar store fabric softener as coolant, but I did thin mine some with water. Probably would have worked better straight.

Ramp as mentioned above is also crucial. It needs to be short, at about a 45 degree angle and no more than 1/4 to 3/8ths an inch above the coolant. Helps if the coolant is not cold also.

Google is your friend. Do some research. You can maybe use your bottom pour to help feed your shot maker. But trying to make one the way you did is simply not going to work. It is not rocket science, but you do need a little better idea than that one IMO.

Good luck.

Kev18
03-22-2019, 10:32 PM
I shortened the ramp to about an inch or less, and used dish soap for a try and then anti-freeze.

1) dish soap actually improved. They only had little tails like hairs on them, but 98% off everything gets clumped together in the soap. The soap starts boiling only after a few shot. So That probably wont work.

2) I only had about a cup and a half of fabric softener, so I dumped it in a can of soup and tried it out. That was probably the best outcome. Some clumped together alittle, with few tails. I feel like if I would add a bigger container and fill it with softener it might work decently. Il go buy some tomorrow.

3) My ramp isnt hot enough.Il ned to use a torch and make it really hot then drip the lead on. Il see what the outcome is...

megasupermagnum
03-22-2019, 10:40 PM
That ramp will not work. Angle iron will not work. You need something flat and clean.

bmortell
03-22-2019, 10:42 PM
I would load an ounce in a shotcup and print it on paper at 10 yards then upload the photo, then proceed making new device. :bigsmyl2:

country gent
03-22-2019, 11:34 PM
A short flat ramp polished very smooth. the correct coolant and lead temp to get the drips and not a stream. coat the ramp with dry lube to keep lead from sticking to it. A medium dia deep container for catching the shot.
I believe for production a manifold made for the pot with a centered hole for the spout a cross hole and 6-8 sized holes for shot size. get it hot enough to drip onto the trough and the short roll into the fabric softener. Now instead of one stream you have 6-8 running

Rcmaveric
03-23-2019, 05:56 PM
You dont need a large container. Just a deep one. So that shot is cool before it settle to the bottom. Otherwise you get pillars of lead. I am contimplaiting putting an aquarium pump into mine, it happens to be large and deep, to circulate the coolant. As of now i have to stir the coolant so i dont get pillars.

After running my back yard contraption a few times a year. I have noticed that dry lubing the ramp is to just get it going. I think it has to do with heat, but after it runs for a bit its all good to go. Once its running smoothly, i just have to feed it lead and keep the head pressure up.

rancher1913
03-23-2019, 07:27 PM
the head presure is part of the art to this. I found that when it changes the shot size changes. too much was a very bad thing.

OldBearHair
03-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Those little double ended thingies loaded up in shot shells might really create havoc at close range!!!!

Kev18
03-24-2019, 01:51 AM
I bought a graphite lube spray. Il test it out tomorrow hopefully. My girlfriend came over, so I had to choose... Play in the garage or inside. So I stayed inside.

I flattened out the ramp like someone mentioned above. And bought some softener. I also heated up the ramp red hot and let the lead drip. It sticks to it abit but still drips over the edge.

One of my issues is that I cant put my container straight since the the stand of the lead furnace sticks out. Causing the shot to hit the sides. By the way my container is a Blue propane torch tank. The long ones. If I could put it straight underneath it would help for sure.

Now the shot has no tails, but 40%-60% of the time the shot explodes when it hits the coolant. So That means the lead is too hot. I also don't have a thermometer. Im not sure what the numbers mean on the furnace. Maybe degrees in 100's?

The shot that doesnt explode has no tail, they're different sizes, but I don't care. Some also look collapsed or flattened. Im guessing thats from them hitting the side of the container. they arent perfectly round, but I dont really mind because im making progress!

GhostHawk
03-24-2019, 07:10 AM
When you get popcorn coolant is too cold, too thin.
Add more dollar store softener, thicken it up. Keep dripping into it to warm it up.

Once you start getting good shot you will want to swap cooling tanks or something to separate them.

Dripping shot is more ART than science, although there are aspects of both.
Hard enough with a good dripper made for the purpose.

I put mine away, I have a good pile of shot, have "figured it out" as much as I am going to. Have the tools, the skills, and the experience "in the box" which is mostly what I wanted.

Snows melting fast up here in Fargo ND, I think a few more weeks and I may be having a smelting session. Bunch of COWW, range scrap, some pewter. Figured I'd get me a nice bunch of consistent alloy to work with. Kind of kept putting it off due to other bigger projects. But I think its turn has come.

skeettx
03-24-2019, 01:54 PM
I cast my WW/Range Scrap into one pound ingots, I give my friend 50 ingots, and an
empty shot bag.
He returns to me the bag full of shot (25 pounds) ready to use, graphited and all.

Last week I gave him 18 bags of 50 ingots and will get 18 bags of shot ready to use :)

http://i68.tinypic.com/6dqyww.jpg

Kev18
03-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Alrighty! Im quite happy with my progress. Still have mionor issues that I hop you guys could help me with?

So my first attempt at shot was the picture above. Long thick tails. A failure. Probably cant be shot.

So Now here's my progress:
Actually ressembles shot. Almost no tails. And they are pretty round! :)
https://i.imgur.com/Rn2cR9R.jpg

Another batch I did:
https://i.imgur.com/R4QTR0B.jpg

I dont have a picture of my final batch, but they are better! This is literally just dripping the lead furnace into a softener container... Thats it. A ramp doesnt work for me it seems. And i tried all kinds of materials.

Here's my issue now. Atleast 30-40% of the shot are hollow? What causes this to happen?
https://i.imgur.com/qhiycCN.jpg

missionary5155
03-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Good afternoon
Ya have to like the progress !
I am guessing but the holes are from the direct immersion into the coolent without the chance to "bounce / roll" cool and get stable.
I would consider cutting a slot along the center line of your Lee pot base so you can have the short ramp then drop into the softener.
Mike in Peru

Kev18
03-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Good afternoon
Ya have to like the progress !
I am guessing but the holes are from the direct immersion into the coolent without the chance to "bounce / roll" cool and get stable.
I would consider cutting a slot along the center line of your Lee pot base so you can have the short ramp then drop into the softener.
Mike in Peru

I tried a ramp but it was worst. Only thing I didnt try was putting the ramp under the coolant itself. Alot of videos I saw thats what people would do, submerge the ramp 3/4 in the coolant. the lead barely touches the dry ramp.

missionary5155
03-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Did you try the polished short ramp ? I understand it gets mind boggling. I have looked at many ideas for making about #5 shot for popping crows cheap... so far it is dismal.
But using the Lee pot would eliminate one of the issues once you get the "spout pressure" and temperature worked out.

RogerDat
03-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Note the three things mentioned are present in this commercial shot dripper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oasis-Lead-Shot-Maker-Ammo-220-VOLT-BONUS-2-SETS-OF-DRIPPERS-INCLUDED/163456177032?hash=item260ebf5388:g:lH4AAOSwcUBYSe1 f

The bottom is the ramp so the melt temperature of the lead melting area bottom extends out the ramp. Same hot temperature and consistent since the molten lead is sitting on it.

Ramp is very short. Ramp is smooth.

Ramp dumps directly into coolant tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C4pgDCTro This video shows much the same, except they are using a bottom pour pot to pre-melt lead that will be added to shot dripper.

Again one sees the short steep lip, heated to same temperature as molten lead is at, along with the shot drop into a large vat of coolant.

Good luck, I was close to going after making shot. Then I scored some bags of shot at a good price and decided buckshot and slugs were what I would make, shot I would buy if I needed it. Be nice to have ability to make shot shells in a general sense but became a low priority against other projects.

Kev18
03-26-2019, 11:50 PM
I loaded up three shells with these. Not badd apart from the odd tail, and hollow shot here and there. Il see how it goes once I have a chance to shoot!
https://i.imgur.com/Ucupy7P.jpg

jimb16
03-27-2019, 08:48 PM
Coolant has too much water in it. Try using cheap dollar store fabric softener straight from the bottle. You won't get that hollow shot.

Kev18
03-27-2019, 11:04 PM
Coolant has too much water in it. Try using cheap dollar store fabric softener straight from the bottle. You won't get that hollow shot.

Im using straight fabric softener... It usually cost alot of money just turns out it was on special for 2$. Should I get a cheaper kind or... does it matter?

Rcmaveric
03-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Im using straight fabric softener... It usually cost alot of money just turns out it was on special for 2$. Should I get a cheaper kind or... does it matter?I use the dollar store stuff. Straight. I think the name brand is awesome.

dsh1106
03-28-2019, 10:04 AM
I spent two years working through a lot of the issues you're having with making shot.

I found the following items to be key to making shot:
Processing
- ambient temperature, you will find any drastic changes will affect your process. Document everything you do so it can be repeated later.
- alloy, a consistent mixture of alloy is needed, vary the mixture and your shot will be affected.
- alloy temperature, this needs to be regulated. I have found a difference of 25 degrees has a huge affect.
- coolant, fabric softener will work, hydraulic or transmission fluid is better, diesel fuel works the best.
- coolant temperature, I use a circulation pump to keep the coolant from overheating. I normally try to keep the coolant around 85 to 100 degrees.
- the coolant level should be no more than 1/8 to 3/8 inch from the edge of drip ramp.
- alloy level - pressure - too much and the lead will pour out in a continuous stream. The faster the flow the smaller the shot. A consistent level/pressure will give consistent results (good or bad)
Equipment - since you are using homemade setup there are a few things you need to consider.
- make sure the drip ramp is at least 5/8" - 3/4" in length from the point where the lead originally hits the ramp, this will allow the lead to bounce and form a ball before hitting the coolant.
- make sure the drip ramp is the as close to the same temp as the melting pot, to much of a change one way or another will cause you grief.

hope this helps a little

Scott

Kev18
03-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the help! Il need to write that down somewhere. And I guess il go buy cheaper dollar store softener.

Rcmaveric
03-28-2019, 03:53 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?358102-Driped-lead-shot

Pictures of my set up for you. Wish I had welder to make a nice dripper then have a lead pot that can feed the dripper.

ukrifleman
03-28-2019, 05:38 PM
Many years ago, I was told by an old guy who used to make shot, that there only 2 ways to make round shot.

Either poured from a shot tower, that allows the molten lead to go from round to pear shaped to round on the way down before it hardens.

Or, from 3/8" through an appropriate screen into water.

Dropping from such a small height into water, ensures that the lead shot is still round and is cooled before it can go pear shaped.

The only chore afterwards is to grade the shot into sizes.

ukrifleman.

OldBearHair
03-28-2019, 05:48 PM
I will give it to you Kev18 for being persistant . Ehhaaaa

Kev18
03-28-2019, 06:05 PM
I bought cheap softener today... Il try it out next time! Again.

megasupermagnum
03-28-2019, 07:40 PM
I still think you are wasting your time. That shot is huge. You could buy a custom BB size mold and be miles ahead. If you want to experiment, you should at least be following a shot maker design. Dripping lead out of a pot will never make good shot. No kind of coolant will fix that.

skeettx
03-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Yes, but how do you really feel about his efforts :)

mic
03-30-2019, 06:02 AM
keep it up you will work it out and when you do it will be all worth it. in my search for shot makers iv seen all kinds of odd ways of making good round shot.

Kev18
03-30-2019, 05:49 PM
I didnt give it another go yet, I need to cast more lead first. I wanted to today but other plans showed up.

jimb16
03-30-2019, 07:47 PM
I think we all know how that happens. I don't think any of us are truly masters of our own world! (No matter what we would like to think.)

Kev18
04-01-2019, 09:27 PM
I shot the plate from atleast 15 yards with a 10 gauge loaded with my shot. Not crazy patterns but its better then I thought.
1 ounce shot
100 grains BP
Extremely light load.
https://i.imgur.com/YT7M9Ax.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h98dHlM.jpg

skeettx
04-02-2019, 07:11 PM
What joy, what JOY
Shoot on Dude :)

Rcmaveric
04-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Would be a dead rabbit.

Kev18
04-02-2019, 08:57 PM
I just made lead ingots today. Il make more shot along with trying different methods mentioned above.

Un-related but what would be a solid load for a 10 gauge Damascus barrel? I have loads but not sure if they're good for damascus... if anyone knows? Not anything super insane that blows the barrel and me apart but not a light load like I did.

EVR
04-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Great stuff OP.

Funny thing about very simple and basic setups is that...in truth...much of what can be shot with a shotgun can be killed with what compared to factory stuff is just plain crude kit. Your pattern proved that for sure.

Watching that long angled ramp got me thinking a guy could pour into a troughs of sorts to whatever depth he wanted thus making long "wires" of lead and then cut them into chunks. Shoot them as-is or tumble the shot to round off the edges. I've done it with copper grounding wire. The only downside would be the time it would take to cut the wire into pellets....

mic
04-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Great stuff OP.

Funny thing about very simple and basic setups is that...in truth...much of what can be shot with a shotgun can be killed with what compared to factory stuff is just plain crude kit. Your pattern proved that for sure.

Watching that long angled ramp got me thinking a guy could pour into a troughs of sorts to whatever depth he wanted thus making long "wires" of lead and then cut them into chunks. Shoot them as-is or tumble the shot to round off the edges. I've done it with copper grounding wire. The only downside would be the time it would take to cut the wire into pellets....

i like your thinking, it would work and put food on the table.

Kev18
04-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Great stuff OP.

Well long strands of lead are actually a type of shot in muzzle loading. Theres videos about it or people melting round shot and making strands like me. They are called goose shot or something like that. I dont remember.

A man's problem, is another's solution it seems.

EVR
04-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Well long strands of lead are actually a type of shot in muzzle loading. Theres videos about it or people melting round shot and making strands like me. They are called goose shot or something like that. I dont remember.

A man's problem, is another's solution it seems.

Indeed!

Here's some "Nontoxic" Enviro-sound copper wire chunk shot...

https://i.postimg.cc/hjm6wXMv/Copper-Shot01192019-012-640x360.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/BbGkGJwg/Copper-Shot01192019-013-640x360.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/brBntvc0/Copper-Shot01192019-035-640x504.jpg

Kev18
04-16-2019, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=EVR;4625051]Indeed!

You just cut wire up? And stick it down the barrel?

EVR
04-16-2019, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=EVR;4625051]Indeed!

You just cut wire up? And stick it down the barrel?

Yup.

Just as you see there. Used a 1 oz load and components. The total weight, being copper, was less than one oz.

This was the idea behind my suggestion above for making lead shot by simply pouring it along the fold of a piece of sheet metal to a suitable depth, then taking that more-or-less triangular strand and cutting it up into chunks and loading it. External ballistics would be terrible and it would be time consuming to make, but at close range I reckon it would do just fine. A fold in sheet metal came to mind, but any "trench shaped" groove in or formed in sheet steel would work.

Kev18
04-16-2019, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=Kev18;4626707]

Yup.

Just as you see there. Used a 1 oz load and components. The total weight, being copper, was less than one oz.

This was the idea behind my suggestion above for making lead shot by simply pouring it along the fold of a piece of sheet metal to a suitable depth, then taking that more-or-less triangular strand and cutting it up into chunks and loading it. External ballistics would be terrible and it would be time consuming to make, but at close range I reckon it would do just fine. A fold in sheet metal came to mind, but any "trench shaped" groove in or formed in sheet steel would work.

Thats what I was doing at first. Pouring lead down a right angle piece of metal and everyone said it wouldnt work. To be honest it wasnt great.

Kev18
04-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Alright so after alot of testing and trial, and error. I think I finally got it. With the same setup and a few changes. I made some almsot perfect shot. Depending on the amount of lead in the pot, the shot will be bigger or smaller. More lead= bigger drop.

The shot is round, barely any hollow ones, and none with tails. I only did alittle bit though since I was testing it out. Il make more soon since I know what im doing now.
This isnt my final batch. They look alot better then this but just for size reference.
https://i.imgur.com/sdjrtFQ.jpg

dsh1106
04-16-2019, 08:37 PM
looks good man !!

I ran some pure Pb shot this weekend, must be that time of year to play ....

Kev18
04-16-2019, 10:03 PM
looks good man !!

I ran some pure Pb shot this weekend, must be that time of year to play ....

What are you using? You seem to have the same shot as me, with hollow ones and not perfectly round. I look at videos and people are using super expensive drippers and they say they are all round.

dsh1106
04-17-2019, 06:34 AM
What are you using? You seem to have the same shot as me, with hollow ones and not perfectly round. I look at videos and people are using super expensive drippers and they say they are all round.

I have an old Shannon shotmaker, two dripper.

The shot I posted pictures of is pure lead, that's the reason it is not round. Pure lead doesn't have enough surface tension to be dripped using one of these machines and stay round. The holes/divots you see are because, 1) I had to run the lead HOT (above 825 F) to keep it moving, 2) My coolant was to "cold", the ambient temperature was only 55 F when I was making the shot.

I can make near perfect round shot with the machine I have, but everything has to be spot on to do it.
- Polished drip ramp coated with high temp graphite
- Clip on wheel weight alloy
- Coolant temp constant between 85 F and 95 F degrees - I use a circulating pump

All things said and done, I started down this path because I wanted to learn how to drip shot. I've made well over 125 lbs of good round shot, loaded it, shot clay pigeons with it, took a few pheasants with it and gave some of it away to someone here at CB. As it stands right now the machine has paid for itself, but ..... when I can buy 100 rounds of 12 gauge at Walmart for $23 or less, that's what I do. I can't reload shot shells cheaper than that, especially if I consider my time worth anything.

Keep up the good work, you're doing much better than I thought you would with a homemade setup. When I started, I read all ghosthawks threads on this subject, I purchased all the stuff from ebay and started playing..... really long story short, I found a Shannon Shot maker for sale, bought it, figured out how to use it, with the help from some on here a lot smarter than I, and sold off the items I bought online.

Kev18
04-17-2019, 09:44 AM
I have an old Shannon shotmaker, two dripper.

The shot I posted pictures of is pure lead, that's the reason it is not round. Pure lead doesn't have enough surface tension to be dripped using one of these machines and stay round. The holes/divots you see are because, 1) I had to run the lead HOT (above 825 F) to keep it moving, 2) My coolant was to "cold", the ambient temperature was only 55 F when I was making the shot.

I can make near perfect round shot with the machine I have, but everything has to be spot on to do it.
- Polished drip ramp coated with high temp graphite
- Clip on wheel weight alloy
- Coolant temp constant between 85 F and 95 F degrees - I use a circulating pump

All things said and done, I started down this path because I wanted to learn how to drip shot. I've made well over 125 lbs of good round shot, loaded it, shot clay pigeons with it, took a few pheasants with it and gave some of it away to someone here at CB. As it stands right now the machine has paid for itself, but ..... when I can buy 100 rounds of 12 gauge at Walmart for $23 or less, that's what I do. I can't reload shot shells cheaper than that, especially if I consider my time worth anything.

Keep up the good work, you're doing much better than I thought you would with a homemade setup. When I started, I read all ghosthawks threads on this subject, I purchased all the stuff from ebay and started playing..... really long story short, I found a Shannon Shot maker for sale, bought it, figured out how to use it, with the help from some on here a lot smarter than I, and sold off the items I bought online.

Shot makers are so expensive for me these days. I already had a lee pot though so I thought id give it a shot. Do the pellets need to be perfect or is that just a plus?

dsh1106
04-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Round shot patterns better, more consistent.

EVR
04-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Round shot patterns better, more consistent.

And provides more consistent and better penetration.

Kev18
04-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Anyone know what I can use to seal the over shot card? I use hot glue and it works, but it looks bad. Anything I can buy at a store? Like home depot or something...

dsh1106
04-17-2019, 07:55 PM
Anyone know what I can use to seal the over shot card? I use hot glue and it works, but it looks bad. Anything I can buy at a store? Like home depot or something...

Elmer's glue

Kev18
04-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Elmer's glue

Alright, it will be strong enough to withstand the recoil?

dsh1106
04-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Alright, it will be strong enough to withstand the recoil?

I used it for my SxS, no issues. Never use it in a pump or sa

gpidaho
04-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Kev18: I've used Titebond II Premium wood glue to seal the overshot cards in 410 shells made from 444 Marlin brass and have used super glue to hold the cards in my Short Line Blackout black powder 12ga adapter. Both of these glues held the card in very well. Gp

Kev18
04-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Well guess il head to the store and buy some glue. I heard people used liquid glass. A few videos of people reloading with it. Its transparent but you need to wait a few hours for it to dry. Apparently its pavement sealer or something similar. Sounds like glue would be cheaper...

lrdg
04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Just a thought. How about putting the shot in a polisher? I have vibrated bullets too long and turned them into nearly unrecognizable rounded lumps. It will take out the sprue flat on cast balls. I don't use any medium but it is rather loud.

Kev18
04-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Just a thought. How about putting the shot in a polisher? I have vibrated bullets too long and turned them into nearly unrecognizable rounded lumps. It will take out the sprue flat on cast balls. I don't use any medium but it is rather loud.

You mean a tumbler for brass? I have one of those filled with corn medium. It might work... maybe?

jimb16
04-20-2019, 08:48 PM
I always put my shot into a vibrator/polisher. I do that when I graphite the shot. Doesn't hurt it a bit. Might just help round out your shot. One question though. What are you using to "coat" you drop ramp? I use soap stone (welders supplies). It works great. Lead never sticks to the ramp.

lrdg
04-20-2019, 09:51 PM
You mean a tumbler for brass? I have one of those filled with corn medium. It might work... maybe?

No media.

Kev18
04-21-2019, 04:46 PM
I always put my shot into a vibrator/polisher. I do that when I graphite the shot. Doesn't hurt it a bit. Might just help round out your shot. One question though. What are you using to "coat" you drop ramp? I use soap stone (welders supplies). It works great. Lead never sticks to the ramp.

I use graphite spray. Looks like a paint can but its graphite...

Kev18
04-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Il try then. No media just straight shot. How much time do you leave it?

lrdg
04-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Il try then. No media just straight shot. How much time do you leave it?

I would suggest you just check every half hour for awhile and see what you get. You also might consider throwing in some larger balls such as .44 or such for a little weight. I don't believe I would want to breathe the dust.

jimb16
04-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Since I'm just graphiting my shot, 20 minutes. But if you are trying to round out the shot, longer would be better; as long as it needs or until you are satisfied with what you have.

weeple2000
05-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Is it worth my effort to try dripping my own shot for trap league?

Kev18
05-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Is it worth my effort to try dripping my own shot for trap league?

Well I had about a 16 inch pattern on cardboard at 55 steps with my shot. I shot it with an 1887 winchester. So there isnt crazy choke. Super impressive. I thought it would be all over the place.

GWS
05-03-2019, 01:12 AM
Congrats to you!

I have the same Shannon Shotmaker that Scott (dsh1106) does, (a gift from a friend whose Dad used it, but is now passed away).
I have yet to try it out, but I have found instructions to it and also found an article on using it. I thought maybe you might glean addition information from the article and instruction pages for your project.....so I posted it here on Cast Boolits. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?54066-shotmaker-instructions-and-trouble-shooting

Rcmaveric
05-03-2019, 09:48 AM
I wish i could get my hands on something like the shannon shot maker. I lack the metal skills to fabricate. But if i could, i would make something like that. If i couldnt find a heating element i would rigg up a camping stove with normal propane attachments so i can switch between a camping stove or grill bottle.

jimb16
05-03-2019, 07:31 PM
I shoot skeet and reloads. I only use my home made shot. I've shot so many 25 straights that I don't keep count anymore. It works fine. For registered skeet matches, you have to use commercial rounds, but for anything else, home made shot in reloads is the way to go. You won't notice the difference.