PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting on a budget

merlin101
03-22-2019, 06:06 PM
A friend and I would like to go hog hunting, we don't have them here in NY so we figure on traveling to N. or S. Carolina. We don't want and can't afford a canned hunt on a preserve we're more or less looking for someplace that has some hogs and the farmer wants them gone. Any suggestions?

osteodoc08
03-22-2019, 10:57 PM
If theresnisnt anyone here that can help I’d say your best bet is to book a hunt somewhere in the SE and towards Texas. There are many places here in south GA that offer hints over bait that are pretty much guaranteed a hog. Most hints are very reasonable. Then there’s the cost of meat butchering and shipments back

Another option would be a wildlife maneagement hunt but that’s limited

tinhorn97062
03-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Craigslist.

WehrmannsGeweher
03-23-2019, 01:20 AM
You DO have them in NY. They are in Alleghaney state park that bridges the NY/PA border and elsewhere.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/eurasianboarfact.pdf

However the morons at DEC have banned hunting them.

Guessing famers are whacking them anyway.

Bazoo
03-23-2019, 02:15 AM
Might look into state land.

Harter66
03-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas runs about $600/person a little more for big pigs as harvest cost is by the lb hoof weight .

For a 3 day hunt you get a 3 pm check in , 4 pm sight check , dinner and a night stand hunt . 5 am wake up morning stand hunt , breakfast , either a stand or walking hunt , lunch , and stand or walking hunt (swap from the mid morning hunt) , dinner and a night stand hunt . I can't remember as we never needed it but there may be a last morning hunt , breakfast , pack up and check out by 2 pm .

You get 2 hogs per at that price , they do all of the bulk processing , bag , and freeze . You get ribs , front and rear quarters , back straps , tender loins , at roughly 45% of hoof weight frozen and ready to pack in your coolers . They pick up at the kill sight also .

All you need is a bed roll , 3 changes of clothes , comfortable boots , bath gear , and a red or green varmint light . Most shots are inside 50 yd due to cover and set arrangements . It's 512 acres , good food , and in spite of the look of the schedule a pretty relaxed hunt . Ms and I went 3 times . I'd go again in a minute .

Since moving we are considering baiting our own on to our new place using things learned from the ranch . That's not the only gig in Texas just the only one I can tell you about first hand .

Lloyd Smale
03-23-2019, 07:42 AM
that's a deal right there. Most butchers would charge you half of that just to process them.
Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas runs about $600/person a little more for big pigs as harvest cost is by the lb hoof weight .

For a 3 day hunt you get a 3 pm check in , 4 pm sight check , dinner and a night stand hunt . 5 am wake up morning stand hunt , breakfast , either a stand or walking hunt , lunch , and stand or walking hunt (swap from the mid morning hunt) , dinner and a night stand hunt . I can't remember as we never needed it but there may be a last morning hunt , breakfast , pack up and check out by 2 pm .

You get 2 hogs per at that price , they do all of the bulk processing , bag , and freeze . You get ribs , front and rear quarters , back straps , tender loins , at roughly 45% of hoof weight frozen and ready to pack in your coolers . They pick up at the kill sight also .

All you need is a bed roll , 3 changes of clothes , comfortable boots , bath gear , and a red or green varmint light . Most shots are inside 50 yd due to cover and set arrangements . It's 512 acres , good food , and in spite of the look of the schedule a pretty relaxed hunt . Ms and I went 3 times . I'd go again in a minute .

Since moving we are considering baiting our own on to our new place using things learned from the ranch . That's not the only gig in Texas just the only one I can tell you about first hand .

jsizemore
03-23-2019, 08:42 AM
All the farmers in my area (Raleigh north and east) lease out the hunting rights and won't let strangers run their fields.

merlin101
03-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas sounds like a screaming good deal but TX. is a bit to far for a 3-4 day weekend. I have some land in NY near Allegany but no hogs, and if there was there wouldn't be any, if you know what I mean!

rkrcpa
03-24-2019, 05:50 PM
There are several places in Florida that provide hog hunts for around $300. I may do one of those this year with my son.

xbeeman412
03-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Give ma a cal I can help

409-789 2839

jonp
03-29-2019, 06:44 PM
All the farmers in my area (Raleigh north and east) lease out the hunting rights and won't let strangers run their fields.

They do. I have permission in the field behind my house to hunt anything that enters. Deer, turkey and coyotes. I'm still waiting for hogs to show up. Many deer eating the soybeans.