PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Stock Repair

lightman
03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
I've got a Browning BPS with the Mossy Oak Camo stock that has a couple of sticky spots on the stock caused by getting bug spray on it. Like it was melted. Has anyone got any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks

I've tried:
Mineral Spirits
Alcohol
Dawn
Windex
General Purpose Cleaner

country gent
03-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Maybe try light warming of the surface with a blow drier to help evaporate it out and or re cure it. I would be careful what's tried as it may cause more issues. Of you had a test poece to try on would be better. I first thought of thinning epoxy hardener to wipe it down but would want to test it on a piece first.

Bazoo
03-21-2019, 08:11 PM
You could test under the recoil pad or in the stock inletting. I am thinking maybe some super glue followed by some scuff pad.

slughammer
03-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Naphtha works very well on adhesive residue. Naptha, Coleman Fuel or Zippo Lighter Fluid all work the same. (Takes crayon marks off of walls too.)

I'm not sure if sticky finish because of bug spray is the same though... How old is the damage?

NyFirefighter357
03-21-2019, 08:38 PM
You could test under the recoil pad or in the stock inletting. I am thinking maybe some super glue followed by some scuff pad.

I was thinking the same. I can't find a cure but think that the glue may cure over the top.

lefty o
03-21-2019, 08:56 PM
hard to say what exactly the bug spray did to the vinyl wrap they put on them stocks, but it may be difficult to get rid of the sticky feeling. if nothing else works, may try rubbing some car wax over it.

Texas by God
03-21-2019, 10:02 PM
It's a hunter; paint it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lightman
03-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Naphtha works very well on adhesive residue. Naptha, Coleman Fuel or Zippo Lighter Fluid all work the same. (Takes crayon marks off of walls too.)

I'm not sure if sticky finish because of bug spray is the same though... How old is the damage?

I think it happened last spring.

lightman
03-21-2019, 10:34 PM
It's a hunter; paint it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're right. Turkey Hunting and bug spray go hand in hand around here. Both of the places on the stock are right where you would hold it too.

pietro
03-21-2019, 10:39 PM
I was thinking the same. I can't find a cure but think that the glue may cure over the top.

Apply a thin coat of glue, or better yet - clear epoxy.

BigEyeBob
03-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Maybe Armorall cleaner ,used for cleaning the vinyl in autos .It supposedly good for vinyl if your stock is vinyl wrapped . Some are dipped .

izzyjoe
03-22-2019, 05:59 AM
I would try some JPW, maybe a couple coats. I know what you mean about the bug spray, won't be long we'll be back out there again!

lightman
03-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've been caught up in our kitchen remodel and have not had time to work on this. After fooling with it a little it seems like the plastic/rubber is melted and not something sticky that would wipe off. I was thinking about selling it before Turkey season but that may not happen. I'm thinking about a heavy coat of wax. If not wax, maybe a coat of clear coat. I may just disclose that there is a sticky spot and let the new owner deal with it.

Bazoo
03-31-2019, 06:41 PM
If you use a two part epoxy and mix it just a touch strong on the hardener, and brush it on, I bet it'll harden it up.