PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Mold*#%$

FUDD
12-06-2005, 11:01 AM
All advice appreciated here:

A new Lee mould in .323 ( 8mm) for my old 1896 Turk Mauser which I have dedicated to cast only... What to do and not do as I try to get this rifle up and shooting...have not reloaded for this caliber, though I have some experience pulling down turk ammo and reducing it 10% to protect the old actions...These rifles will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds. ( all the distance we get here in the Virginia forests). I want to shoot sub sonic... but my first QUESTION : what do I do to the new mold in order to get usable boolits?

Ben
12-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Clean the mold with aerosol brake cleaner to remove any and all oil deposits that may be in the mold from the factory.

Once the mold is clean, soot the mold faces with a bic lighter ( butane cig. lighter)

Lightly lube the top of the mold and the underside of the mold sprue plate with some moly to prevent the steel sprue plate from galling the AL mold blocks.
Also lightly lube the alignment surfaces on the mold blocks .

Now you are ready to start casting.

Ben in
Alabama

KCSO
12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I also lightly lap the mould with bore paste to smooth off the machining marks. This lets the bullets drop out without having to pound on the hinge. Not all Lee moulds need this just 1 out of 2 or so.

Char-Gar
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Fudd...You may already know this, but you asked for all advice and rule no. 1 can never be restated too often.

Rule No. 1 - Clean the bore of that rifle of ALL metal fouling right down to the steel! I use Sweets 7.62. To do this may involve more time than you truly want to invest in cleaning, but do it anyway. Unless you follow rule No. 1..all else is in vain when shooting cast bullets.

Willbird
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Also I do not know how this is possible, but I gave had good results cleaning the molds with dish soap and a toothbrush, this seemed to get something out that the brake clean didnt,

There is a thread about "Leementing" which is the code word for all the tips and tweaks that get the best out of a new lee mold

Bill

FUDD
12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
I appreciate the input, been scrubbing that bore for three weeks, have used all appropriate unguents and solutions...soon we'll see what the good result will be...FUDD

C1PNR
12-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Let's see, three weeks scrubbing the bore of that 8mm milsurp. Yep, you're getting there!

I've gone through a lot of Sweets, JB & Kroil, and patches up the gazooo, trying to get these barrels back down to metal. Finally set the VZ24 aside for a while, just to give myself a break.;)

Keep at it, though. You'll be glad you did.

Papa smurf
12-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Hay FUDD
All the guys are giving good advice,just want to add a little more.
Lube with liquid alox ,size to .323 ,load over 25 gr. IMR 4198 ,seat
so the gas check is not below the case neck, no filler needed.This
gives me 8" oless at 200 yards in my Turk [bench needed for me] with
original battel sights.