PDA

View Full Version : SS pistols and crud on the cylinder...

mattw
03-19-2019, 08:26 PM
I hate the ring that forms between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I can't ever get the black ring to go away, I can clean them until they are shinny but still there. What do you all use to get rid of the black ring? I would like them to look good, at least each spring.

I have tried proshot, 3M pads with cleaner and years ago the lead cloths. What am I missing? BTW, I shoot 95% cast bullets.

RedlegEd
03-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Hi. I use two things two remove the carbon on the face of my SS BFR cylinder. One is Barkeeper’s Friend with hot water. Make a paste, then use a green or blue pad to scrub it or a toothbrush. The other is Mother’s Chrome Polish. It doesn’t take very much to cut through the carbon. Here’s a YouTube video explaining how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRW0Hg6HWc. Hope this helps. Ed

Der Gebirgsjager
03-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Very difficult to get rid of, Matt. I've used Scotch Brite pads and bore cleaning solvent to get rid of about 95% of it, but can't honestly say I ever got one completely back to new. I gave up on it, and just clean off any lead or residue, but the rings remain.

dkf
03-19-2019, 08:53 PM
I use hoppes #9 and bronze brush. Plastic bristle and thin bristle brushes that bend really easy don't work well.

georgerkahn
03-19-2019, 08:55 PM
I share your frustration with stains on stainless... Two products which do (for me ;) ) work are Mother's Metal Polish, sold at the local auto parts store; and, Flitz brand metal polish, which I bought for polishing fishing spoons (lures). It seems to me that the Flitz is a tad more aggressive, and the way I use it is probably not good for my longevity -- I put a dab on a forefinger, and apply, then rub it to black staining on the firearm. You will see it turn black; wipe it off with a piece of old cotton towel or wash cloth, and repeat as necessary.
geo

bob208
03-19-2019, 09:25 PM
I never worried about it much. just wip the front of the cylinder with hoppes .

nawagner
03-19-2019, 09:37 PM
I share your frustration with stains on stainless... Two products which do (for me ;) ) work are Mother's Metal Polish, sold at the local auto parts store; and, Flitz brand metal polish, which I bought for polishing fishing spoons (lures). It seems to me that the Flitz is a tad more aggressive, and the way I use it is probably not good for my longevity -- I put a dab on a forefinger, and apply, then rub it to black staining on the firearm. You will see it turn black; wipe it off with a piece of old cotton towel or wash cloth, and repeat as necessary.
geo

+1 on the Mothers. Works like a charm! In fact, makes the whole gun look pretty good!

str8wal
03-19-2019, 09:54 PM
I hate the ring that forms between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

I call it patina. It shows you love your guns enough to shoot them ;-)

lefty o
03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
you dont need abrasives. the lead away cloths work great, just dont touch your blued guns with therm!

kayala
03-19-2019, 10:24 PM
I use BoreTech C4 carbon remover (I soak a patch, wrap it on a stick from ice-cream and do some rubbing), where I can't reach with this contraption - q-tips and mothers.

onelight
03-19-2019, 11:08 PM
I use the lead wipe cloth on mine if there is a lot of build up over the barrel on the top strap or cylinder I scrape it with the mouth flattened 223 case.
Shot cast boolits and cleaned the single seven today.

Dieselhorses
03-19-2019, 11:14 PM
+1 on the Mothers. Works like a charm! In fact, makes the whole gun look pretty good!

I use Mother’s also, never seen anything work so well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osteodoc08
03-20-2019, 12:25 AM
I’ve always used Flitz and a real flannel cloth

BigAlofPa.
03-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Neverdull works well too.

Forrest r
03-20-2019, 02:54 AM
Neverdull works well too.

+1^^^^
https://i.imgur.com/x4fqbHJ.jpg

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2019, 06:32 AM
you dont need abrasives. the lead away cloths work great, just dont touch your blued guns with therm!

Ditto /\

And another old trick is to use a pencil eraser.

PbHurler
03-20-2019, 07:51 AM
For me, Flitz on a grease rag, then flannel patches.

sandog
03-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Very difficult to get rid of, Matt. I've used Scotch Brite pads and bore cleaning solvent to get rid of about 95% of it, but can't honestly say I ever got one completely back to new. I gave up on it, and just clean off any lead or residue, but the rings remain.
What he said ^^^.
Just get the build up off, as you don't want it interfering with your barrel/cylinder gap.
Enjoy the thing and don't worry about the dark ring.

mattw
03-20-2019, 08:42 AM
I call it patina. It shows you love your guns enough to shoot them ;-)

I like this... I get the stuff off that has measurable thickness, just never the black ring. I will try the lead cloth, would rather not take anything abrasive to the front of cylinders.

Ed_Shot
03-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Another vote for Mother's polish and a blue non-scratch pad. Makes it look like new.

Bigslug
03-20-2019, 09:28 AM
1. Buy a brand new stainless revolver.

2. Transport it home in your scratch-free 4WD that never goes off road.

3. NEVER shoot it. Only shoot your other guns.

4. Only ever look at the cylinder face of that one.

:kidding:

The Lead-Away wiping cloths (which will remove bluing) do a very good job on it, but really, what's the point on a working firearm? The black "blast ring" is imprinted at the gun's peak pressure - but it harms nothing, and the work required to get it off is WAY out of proportion to the one shot it takes to put it back on.

Clean it off when you are getting it ready to sell the gun. Otherwise, ignore.

Rick Hodges
03-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Ditto /\

And another old trick is to use a pencil eraser.

We always used and old typewriter eraser...one made for ink. It might be a bit abrasive but worked quickly and pretty well.

mattw
03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Which version of Mothers are you all using? The one for wheels or the billet one?

Beagle333
03-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Flitz and a paper towel.

tja6435
03-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth will clean that all up with a quickness

mattw
03-20-2019, 11:50 AM
I will have to order one of the lead cloths, used them years ago and was happy with them. I have check all of the local sources and they are dry in the package and have been on the shelves for years in a couple of places. I hate to buy one that may be dried up and not work well, as they are not cheap for a somewhat disposable item.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2019, 06:15 PM
I will have to order one of the lead cloths, used them years ago and was happy with them. I have check all of the local sources and they are dry in the package and have been on the shelves for years in a couple of places. I hate to buy one that may be dried up and not work well, as they are not cheap for a somewhat disposable item.

They are sealed in a plastic bag when they are new and I've never had a problem when one even after I open the original bag. Just seal it back up after use.

I also cut off a little section for each use so that the remainder of the cloth stays clean. A little 1.5" square is all you need to clean a stainless revolver. I rarely clean the burn marks off the cylinder of a stainless gun so a full cloth lasts me well over a year.

tazman
03-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Those of you using even very fine abrasives need to rethink that a bit. If you use those abrasives very often on the front of your cylinder, you will, over time, be creating a larger cylinder gap and cause a drop in velocity on that account.
Granted, it will take some time, but people who are religious about cleaning that part of their revolver will have it happen sooner rather than later.

nawagner
03-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Which version of Mothers are you all using? The one for wheels or the billet one?

Mag and Aluminum Polish

nicholst55
03-21-2019, 01:25 AM
You mean that black ring isn't supposed to be there? I don't much worry about it, myself.

bobthenailer
03-25-2019, 12:13 PM
A+ for Flitz metal polish

mattw
03-25-2019, 01:50 PM
I tried Mothers and it worked well, also have a lead cloth on order. I really want to just clean the front about 1 time per year in the fall for storage. Just running late this year.

gwpercle
03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Ed's Red Bore Solvent and a small brass brush (it looks like a toothbrush but with brass bristles )
a regular hard bristle tooth brush works fairly well but the brass one works best.
Do a search on the recipe for Ed's Red Bore Solvent , you can make it for $20.00 a gallon .
Gary

mattw
03-25-2019, 04:44 PM
gwpercle, funny you should mention Ed's Red... I have almost everything to make it, except the time. I have been using 50/50 Pro Shot bore cleaner and Kroil, but want to try Ed's because it is so well thought of here. I am going to leave out the acetone.

Earlwb
03-25-2019, 07:53 PM
heck, I don't bother trying to clean the carbon ring off. I leave it alone. Maybe it helps close the gap up a tiny bit.