PDA

View Full Version : Separate Seat & Crimp Dies

alamogunr
03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Since I got my turret press, I've been giving a lot of thought to setting up separate dies for boolit seating and crimping for some of my rifles. I have more than one set of dies for a couple of my rifle cartridges and am considering an additional crimp die for those that I only have one set.

For those that I might look for a crimp die, what is recommended? Maybe the Redding Profile Crimp die or just look for another used set to get the crimp die(remove the seat stem)? Or is there another option?

metricmonkeywrench
03-19-2019, 06:20 PM
I’m in the camp that prefers to crimp as a separate step for both rifle or pistol. I just think I have better control of the crimp that way. As for what type, all the major manufacturers have a crimp die that will get the job done, some arguably better than others. There will be 10 pages to follow of which one is the best (Ford vs Chevy or Ginger or Mary Ann), but in the end it’s the one that you find does the best for you. If you do a search on crimp die you will likely find a bunch of threads on the subject.

The leading die in general seems to the Lee Factory Crimp dies that even the big green, blue and orange fans approve of.

TNsailorman
03-19-2019, 06:26 PM
I use Redding Profile Crimp dies for my pistol loading but I do seat and crimp as a separate step. I use regular RCBS or C&H seat dies for crimping rifle cartridges (I don't always crimp rifle cartridges, it just depends on the load(usually slow burning powder). I don't know that it improves the shooting all that much but I do it anyway. Works for me, james

pertnear
03-19-2019, 06:30 PM
...The leading die in general seems to the Lee Factory Crimp dies that even the big green, blue and orange fans approve of.

+1 On the Lee FC die

I'm not a Lee fan, but I've bought a FC die for every caliber that I feel may needs crimping. I prefer to crimp as a separate step but that often depends on the volume & how much time I have.

onelight
03-19-2019, 06:32 PM
It kinda depends on what cartridge quantity and rifle.
I once loaded 4000 223s for ar15 rifles in once fired brass I used the Lee factory crimp collet die so I would not need to trim all that brass it could be adjusted for correct OAL and crimp in the crimp grove.
I liked that die and have used them in 308 and 3006 but I am fine with 2 die sets with all brass properly trimmed

Shawlerbrook
03-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Another separate seater and crimped with Lee fcd.

Winger Ed.
03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
I'm a big seat & taper crimp separately guy.

When I sit down and load 1,000 or something for plinking/target practice,
I make sure my brass isn't too long, but don't trim it if I don't have too.

The taper crimp is less critical of cases being slightly different between the 'trim to' and 'too long' lengths.
And 'j' boolits without the groove don't seem to appreciate being roll crimped.

Petrol & Powder
03-19-2019, 08:07 PM
I have no use for the Lee FCD but I do seat and crimp in two separate operations.

I prefer to use a taper crimp die for pistol cartridges and bottle neck rifle cartridges. I use a roll crimp for revolver cartridges.

mattw
03-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I always crimp in a separate step, no if's and's or but's. Depending on the cartridge I may use the same die as the seater, or a Lee factory crimp or even a seater with the stem removed for a taper crimp or roll crimp. No chance of shaving the bullet at the end of the stroke, more control over the process.

gareth96
03-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Taper crimp for 380, 9mm, and 45 ACP
Lee FCD for .308 and .223

EDG
03-19-2019, 08:38 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die for bottle neck rounds is a superior die for my use.
I only crimp for autoloaders, tube magazine pumps and tube magazine lever guns.
Box magazine guns and single shots do not get crimped

nueces5
03-19-2019, 08:43 PM
I am in a dead end street. Until a few months ago it seemed to me that there was nothing so fantastic as the Lee FC and the boolits that I bought. Since I started doing my 9 luger boolits, when I used the LFC I compressed it making smaller the diameter and consequent leading and lack of precision. Today I bought a new dies dillon set with the seat and FC separately. I also ordered the widest powder funnel. I hope to have this week time to put them on the Dillon 550 and the weekend to see how it works. As they say above, I think that having separate seat and crimp, one can have more control over the whole process. Soon I will know.

mdi
03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
I too have no use for a Lee FCD for handgun cartridges (post crimping sizing die). I seat and crimp separately and have done so for well over 35 years and I believe I started this method foe better crimp control. It is now my "standard" method. I now use "stock" taper crimp dies for my semi-auto handloads, Redding Profile crimp dies for my revolves, and Lee collet crimp for my rifle and Magnum revolver ammo.

higgins
03-21-2019, 04:11 PM
I like the Lee FCD for rifle cartridges because you can watch the crimping action through the open top of the die and apply just enough crimp. I single-load my cartridges so I don't need to crimp for the tubular magazine. With the FCD it's easy to apply just enough crimp to remove the flare from bullet seating.

Drew P
03-21-2019, 04:52 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die for bottle neck rounds is a superior die for my use.
I only crimp for autoloaders, tube magazine pumps and tube magazine lever guns.
Box magazine guns and single shots do not get crimpedand revolvers I hope!

onelight
03-21-2019, 06:29 PM
I may be one the few here that likes the Lee factory crimp for auto pistols I use them and like them so far for my use no problems only pluses.
Revolvers and lever actions rollcrimp die.
Semi auto rifle Lee factory crimp die.
Single shot and bolt guns normally no crimp unless it seems to shoot better
If I crimp i prefer separate die from seating especially with cast.

robg
03-22-2019, 06:14 AM
lee fcd for rifle cases ,seat and crimp for straight wall cases

WardT
03-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Also happy with FCD for 45acp and 9mm

NWPilgrim
03-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Definitely crimp separately from seating. For rifle w/o cannelure = no crimp for me. Rifle with cannelure (very light crimp) and revolver = Lee FCD. Semiauto Pistol = taper crimp die.

Crimping separately just is cleaner and more precise in my experience. I did it all in one die for many years but after trying it separately I never looked back.

RED BEAR
03-22-2019, 11:57 AM
separate operations from the start and see no reason to change.

Bazoo
03-22-2019, 12:01 PM
I always seat and crimp in the same operation. If I was loading for precision I'd separate the operations to limit run out. Once you figure out how to tweak your dies it's not hard at all to set it up to do both. If I was going to do them in a separate operation I certainly would get a second seat crimp die for my most loaded calibers. I load mostly in smaller batches though.

Nueces
03-22-2019, 12:14 PM
I started using the Redding Profile Crimp dies as they became available but find I prefer the Dillon AccuCrimp dies. The Dillons sport a taper leadin to a roll crimp and produce really lovely full crimps for revolver loads; there is no hint of case neck swelling behind the crimp.

DonMountain
03-23-2019, 02:49 PM
If I was to convert to using a separate die for crimping as opposed to bullet seating, watching FleaBay for cheap bullet seating/crimping dies, does anybody use common dies for this separate operation? Like purchasing a 308 die to crimp all the 30 calibers like 30-06, 30-40 Krag, 308, etc.? Or do I have to buy a specific 30-06 crimping die for a 30-06 cartridge?

alamogunr
03-23-2019, 03:19 PM
If I was to convert to using a separate die for crimping as opposed to bullet seating, watching FleaBay for cheap bullet seating/crimping dies, does anybody use common dies for this separate operation? Like purchasing a 308 die to crimp all the 30 calibers like 30-06, 30-40 Krag, 308, etc.? Or do I have to buy a specific 30-06 crimping die for a 30-06 cartridge?

I am also interested in this. Thanks to DonMountain for bringing this up.

Bazoo
03-23-2019, 03:32 PM
I have a Lyman 30-06 set I got off the PIF section, it's an older set. The seat crimp die is marked pa-22 30-06,308,300sav. It has a floating crimp sleeve with its own adjustment and the seater plug has a lot of adjustment. So, I'd say as long as the neck diameter is pretty close, you would have no problem using a single crimp die for various calibers, as long as they would adjust enough to cover the different cartridge case and OAL lengths.

ukrifleman
03-23-2019, 03:42 PM
I use Lee factory crimp dies to just take the flare out of cases, after seating flat based cast bullets and find they work just fine.

ukrifleman