PDA

View Full Version : federal changing primer compound?

Forrest r
03-16-2019, 08:28 AM
interesting reading

https://www.outdoorlife.com/cartridge-primer-technology-developments

dale2242
03-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the link.
I will share it with friends...dale

Hossfly
03-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Seems like I read this a couple years ago,don’t recall seeing for sale though. Any one have any that have been tested, here?

Land Owner
03-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Won't affect me one bit. I have more than a lifetime already in hand.

Two Barrels
03-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Interesting read. I have always used CCI and Winchester primers, but not Federal. That is mainly due to off the shelf availability where I live. The article states these are similar in costs to produce as current lead styphnate primers. I’ll wait and see where they end up pricewise in the market. I sense a price increase coming.

Jack Stanley
03-16-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm curious if primer life will be as long as the current mix .

Jack

JBinMN
03-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the link to the article!
:)

I wonder what that bismuth "slag" being "very very hot", is going to do to primer pockets & will it cause enough erosion/damage to the inside base of the primer pocket to make case integrity less, or even reduce the amount of case life...
??

I would think that would possibly have an effect on reloading the cases & how many times one can safely do so.

The Military, as far as I know, does not re-use small arm brass. {Do they? I never heard of it, except artillery shell cases are likely reused IIRC..} In combat they would not likely collect small arms later, but perhaps on a range they might do something with the brass, & possibly it got reloaded by someone other than folks like us, as when I was "in", we had to police it up every time we shot a firearm.

If the cases "are" compromised more from this "improvement", than what they were before, (now), then on our end of the deal on reusing cases & how long they last might come into play by the use of these primers.

I am not going to get concerned about it.

It was just a thought that came to mind & made me curious as to the effect on the primer pockets/cases..

Bookworm
03-16-2019, 03:04 PM
As far as I know, the military does not reuse any small arms brass. The brass from various military ranges was sold in bulk to the highest bidder.
One of the very first things that the newly elected POTUS did, after the 2009 immaculation, was to demand the military shred that brass and sell it for scrap. This contributed directly to the shortage of certain brass for several years.

After reading the article, what struck me was Federal stating they could easily regulate the primer for various cartridges, from .380 on up. This makes me wonder about the availability of standard "small pistol" or "large pistol" primers. It makes one wonder....

lavenatti
03-16-2019, 07:03 PM
It's an interesting formula, seems to bear some resemblance to "Dragons Eggs" formulas I've seen for pyrotechnics. Those are the multiple little crackles some fireworks have.

goryshaw
03-16-2019, 07:10 PM
/QUOTE

After reading the article, what struck me was Federal stating they could easily regulate the primer for various cartridges, from .380 on up. This makes me wonder about the availability of standard "small pistol" or "large pistol" primers. It makes one wonder..../quote

I had the same thought. For their factory loads customizing the primer for the particular load is fine. For reloading, I don't want to keep track/stock of more than the 8+ types we have already. I only bother with 4 types now: LR , SR/SP, LP and 1x brick of LPM only for magnum H110 / WW296 loads.

stubshaft
03-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Now Kommiefornia has lead free primers to go with their lead free boolits.

kevin c
03-17-2019, 01:56 AM

Already happened: some of the agencies that rent our range have used "green" ammo over the past couple or three years.

I'd like to know how, as mentioned above, this affects the metallic cartridge reloading market (most of us). Federal small pistol primers! for instance, are preferred for their sensitivity by a lot of USPSA revolver and auto shooters where light trigger jobs can change striker and hammer impact force. Lots of them will be put out if the current primer is pulled in favor of the new flavor.

tomme boy
03-17-2019, 01:49 PM
They are also saying they are safer. So does that mean NO HAZMAT?????????

44Blam
03-18-2019, 12:55 AM

It is getting hard to find LEAD shot shells here. It is generally steel shot. I don't really want to shoot steel in my gun...