PDA

View Full Version : TC White Mountain carbine

lead chucker
03-16-2019, 04:16 AM
Hey Guys whats your opinion on re boring a TC White Mountain Carbine 50 cal to 54 cal is there enough steel in the barrel where it goes from flat to round? Thinking it would make a good round ball timber rifle. Have Mr. Hoyt bore it and make it a 1-60 twist.

Saxtonyoung
03-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Being a big fan of the 50 Caliber WMC and it's fast twist, the bore would have to be pretty trashed for me to consider a rebore. Not sure if there is enough steel or not, they did make a 54 Caliber WMC but it may have been 1" instead of 15/16" . Lee makes a .500 and .520 ball mold if you wanted to try another caliber.

lead chucker
03-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have 50 cal ML's I like the compact light weight of this one and prefer to shoot round balls. Any one else know about this rifle and it being able to be re bored to 54?

arcticap
03-16-2019, 04:14 PM
There's a .54 White Mountain Carbine for sale on Gunbroker right now, so a .54 can be made.

There's 9 days left on the bidding.--->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803605783

It's item number 803605783

There's also a Cabela's .58 carbine with a 21" barrel up for auction. Item number 802966809
Besides being made by Investarms, the main difference is that the barrel is full octagon.
Talk about packing a wallop, that would do it even better.
It's sort of a rare bird. --->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802966809

Saxtonyoung
03-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Green Mountain made some 54 Caliber round ball barrels that were 15/16" so don't know why this would be any different.

Edward
03-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Hey Guys whats your opinion on re boring a TC White Mountain Carbine 50 cal to 54 cal is there enough steel in the barrel where it goes from flat to round? Thinking it would make a good round ball timber rifle. Have Mr. Hoyt bore it and make it a 1-60 twist.

One way to find out ,call Bob and ask/717-642-6696 and call early 7-8:00 he"s busy !/Ed

OverMax
03-16-2019, 11:40 PM
54 cal WMC are 1-48 twist. Being its a Octagon barrel lathed to round just beyond its forearm.
I do believe mine has a 1" measure across its Octagon flats.
The Round part. I just measured my barrel with a caliper and it measured 15/16s.
The WMC stock is simply a Renegade copy with a rubber recoil pad which add's and additional 1/2 " to its stock length. Quite un-like that uncomfortable metal butt plate on a Renegade I also own.
As I recall on 50 cals. There were two twist rates over its production time. _1-28 & 1-30. Not so with the 54 cal only 1-48 produced. I supect the WMC 50 cal was never designated to shoot Patched Ball where as the 54 cal was capable of doing.

I don't know of anyone who has re-bore a 50 WMC to 54 cal and too. Also I don't know the 50 cals barrel measurements.
Given thought. ~~If both WMC calibers had identical barrel size? Easy peasy. If not?~~ 15/16 Hex to 13/16s Definitely not enough metal left to bore a rifled 54 bore. ~~~Good luck with your ambition sir.

lead chucker
03-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Thank you for that. I believe that answered my question. Im looking for a light rifle in 54 that will shoot round balls. A used 50 cal that can be bored to 54 is an option. The older i get i dont like packing around a 9-10 pound rifle. I dont mind a little recoil. I like a gun that let me know its there when it goes off. How does your white mountain shoot round balls?

quilbilly
03-17-2019, 02:18 PM
I have had my 50 cal. WMC for many years. I use it for elk and long range desert mule deer. I named it "Sweet Thing" because it shoots so much better than I do. With sabots and 429 -260 gr SWC pistol boolits, it has been decisively effective on Roosevelt elk out to 100 yards. On mule deer out to 200 yard it has been great in the desert if I can create a stable enough rest to use the iron sights (required in this state). At ranges under under 80 yards, that boolit/sabot combination tends to make "little hole in, little hole out" on deer which can be a serious problem for blackberry thicket blacktail but I bet it would be excellent on even larger black bear. The load has always been 78 gr of 3-F Goex. Groups run just under 2" at 100 yards with iron sights. The twist rate isn't right for PRB but it still shoots them passably. I have better PRB rifles. Mine has a horrible factory defective trigger but it shoots so well for me, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". This year I plan to try it with that "new" Black MZ powder.

OverMax
03-17-2019, 02:37 PM
How does your white mountain shoot round balls?
My experience it's reliable but its open-sight/s accuracy sucks. Best distance I could do 50 yrds max with ball holes all over a 2 ft piece of Freezer paper. Ah?~ I'm kind'a partial to shooting double Sets not a rude-a-mentry single trigger is a good excuse. Although?
As with any B/P rifle. We shooters have to develop a relationship with our pride & joys. (range time together.) Something I haven't done with my WMC because I have another model I much more prefer (hawken 45 w/Rd ball only barrel)

"No doubt at close range 54 cal Ball is a woop- a_ _ thump-er on deer."
Thanks for asking of my opinion Lead Chucker. ~~Hopefully Mr. Hoyt has the answer too helping you out.