PDA

View Full Version : Century 1887 hammer spring ??

Hootmix
03-15-2019, 09:38 PM
A friend brought a ( China made ) new, 1887 lever shotgun by ,, said something broke first time he stroked the lever ,, I worked the lever ,, the hammer spring " fell out,, 2 pcs." SOooooo,, just where do I find ,,( ready )" a good one ". The original hammer spring looks " cast " & crystalized ,, I think every thing in side needs to be polished ( kind of like look'n down in a outhouse hole ),, but first things first ,, any help ???

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

sac
03-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Try Coyote Cap in Minnesota. He is the one that headed the project years ago to have these made again.

Hootmix
03-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Hey sac,, tried'm,, don't have parts for " CAI " lever shotgun,, but they do have a very- very , lengthy article on how to fix all the 200+ problems w/ the " China " made lever shotguns . Told me to call a place in SD,, will try their. Thanks for your reply.

Kev18
03-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Contact other companies. Alot of people make replicas. Chiapa sells an 1187, and Taylors&co. All the parts are the same I think.

Hootmix
03-23-2019, 02:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. ,,,BUT ! ,, called around no one had any parts, sooo ,, pulled a coiled spring out of a truck door window , heated it up straight'nd it out, shaped it , thinned it bent it to a" V " shaped the end,, re-hard'nd it put it in ,, worked just fine ,, learned something about spring steel. I also had to polish some of the " rough " places in the gun,, pretty smooth ,, first try at mak'n a spring .

onelight
03-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the info. ,,,BUT ! ,, called around no one had any parts, sooo ,, pulled a coiled spring out of a truck door window , heated it up straight'nd it out, shaped it , thinned it bent it to a" V " shaped the end,, re-hard'nd it put it in ,, worked just fine ,, learned something about spring steel. I also had to polish some of the " rough " places in the gun,, pretty smooth ,, first try at mak'n a spring .

That is great! You gotta love it a 21 century Okie blacksmith.:smile: good job.

missionary5155
03-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Good morning
Well done ! I am no "smithy" either but sure enjoy people who "give it a whirl". Your friend will be right proud to have a custom repair that was one the old way.
Mike in Peru

Hootmix
03-23-2019, 11:15 AM
I'll do better " next time " ,, thank's for the come backs. Watched a few videos,, read a few articles ,, went for it . " Life ,, can be good ".