PDA

View Full Version : rossi 92 sights?

theangrydangler
03-15-2019, 02:10 PM
just got a new rossi 92 and the sights are so so. i dont see many options for aftermarket sights for them other than a tang sight which i have absolutely no experience in using. does anyone have aftermarket sights on their rossi 92 and are they significantly better than the factory sights?

JoeJames
03-15-2019, 02:14 PM
I am crazy about my Rossi R92 in 44 magnum; however, I agree on the sights. I am thinking about getting a Williams Gun Sight 5D Series Winchester 94/36 Receiver Peep Sight. Kind of pricey and the Rossi will have to be drilled and tapped, but I expect I will do it sooner or later.

Texas by God
03-15-2019, 02:40 PM
I put a Dockendorff rear on mine when I had one and it was a big improvement over the 3/4 buckhorn rear it came with. I see them online quite often. The flat top u-notch did the trick for me. A reciever sight is best but it's gonna cost you. I despise tang sights but that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

northmn
03-15-2019, 02:50 PM
I am crazy about my Rossi R92 in 44 magnum; however, I agree on the sights. I am thinking about getting a Williams Gun Sight 5D Series Winchester 94/36 Receiver Peep Sight. Kind of pricey and the Rossi will have to be drilled and tapped, but I expect I will do it sooner or later.

I did that to mine. Remove the screw holding the lugs and remove a lug and D&T it. Whole new rifle with a receiver sight. When I got mine in 357 it shot high with any 357 factory load. I filed off the rear sight a bit and cut a new notch into it then later did the receiver sight.

DEP

AnthonyB
03-15-2019, 02:58 PM
If it is a "new" Rossi the barrel should be drilled and tapped for a scope mount that NOE sells. Look under the rear sight and you will see the tapped holes if they are there. I put red dots on my last two Rossi's and love them.
Tony

saguaro
03-15-2019, 04:17 PM
I bought a Marbles front sight with brass bead and cut and filed until it fit the slot for the original brass blade and then put a marbles tang sight on with the windage adjustment. The dovetail on mine for the rear sight was a strange size that prevented me from just replacing. Works great using the tang sight as a ghost ring.

shortlegs
03-15-2019, 06:55 PM
I use Skinner sights on my Marlin. Check with them to see if they will fit your Rossi. Skinner has models that fit on the barrel, just replaces the rear sight.

pietro
03-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Please refer to the other post you made on this same subject.

Any sight that fits a Winchester 18944/94 will also fit a Model 92 - even a Rossi.

The Rossi receiver with needs be D/T'd for a receiver sight, and the tang D/T'd for a tang sight.

I installed a Williams 5D-94SE receiver sight meant for an Angle Eject Winchester 94 onto my .357 Rossi M-92 via D/T'ing a single 6-48 screw hole atop each receiver sidewall.

I chose a receiver sight meant for the Angle Eject Winchester because it carries the horizontal bar behind the sight base ILO atop it - which meant I could lower the staff enough to use the issue height front sight blade.

https://i.imgur.com/z1sR2ALm.jpg https://i.imgur.com/U7F3Zabm.jpg

My Rossi had a bolt-top lawyer safety, with interfered with the sight in it's lowest position, so I tossed it and made a flat safety replacement plug.

Texas by God
03-15-2019, 09:44 PM
I don't know the reasoning for it but my cuz by Muleshoe has a William's 5D on his early .357 Puma mounted on the right side with the windage slide reversed. It works for him ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

indian joe
03-16-2019, 05:23 AM
Please refer to the other post you made on this same subject.

Any sight that fits a Winchester 18944/94 will also fit a Model 92 - even a Rossi.

The Rossi receiver with needs be D/T'd for a receiver sight, and the tang D/T'd for a tang sight.

I installed a Williams 5D-94SE receiver sight meant for an Angle Eject Winchester 94 onto my .357 Rossi M-92 via D/T'ing a single 6-48 screw hole atop each receiver sidewall.

I chose a receiver sight meant for the Angle Eject Winchester because it carries the horizontal bar behind the sight base ILO atop it - which meant I could lower the staff enough to use the issue height front sight blade.

https://i.imgur.com/z1sR2ALm.jpg https://i.imgur.com/U7F3Zabm.jpg

My Rossi had a bolt-top lawyer safety, with interfered with the sight in it's lowest position, so I tossed it and made a flat safety replacement plug.

Instead of that flat plug in the bolt could you not make it into a bolt mounted peep ? like the model 71 winchester had - it would be a very neat arrangement. Cool factor out the roof!

AnthonyB
03-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Steve'sgunz sells a bolt mounted peep. I have it on one rifle that now lives with my youngest son. mine had a lot of play in it, and I eventually wound up epoxying it in place. I like the barrel mounted red dot much better!
Tony

indian joe
03-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Steve'sgunz sells a bolt mounted peep. I have it on one rifle that now lives with my youngest son. mine had a lot of play in it, and I eventually wound up epoxying it in place. I like the barrel mounted red dot much better!
Tony

effective I guess, but cool factor = zero

dekeshooter
03-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Tony

Mine had significant side to side play in it when installed. I rotated the bushing that the peep mounted in 90 degrees and then filed a slimmer groove for the roll pin. My sight is now wobble free and I am very pleased with how it performs. It gives me a longer sight radius than a peep mounted in the factory sight dovetail and also does not require drilling and tapping like a receiver sight would.

pietro
03-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Instead of that flat plug in the bolt could you not make it into a bolt mounted peep ? like the model 71 winchester had - it would be a very neat arrangement. Cool factor out the roof!

BT, DT - Before www.stevesgunz.com started to market his safety replacement bolt peep sight, I made a plug from a Remington CF autoloader trigger guard safety button for another Rossi M-92 I had, then D/T'd it for an XS Sights aperture I had paying around.

https://i.imgur.com/DviVclUl.jpg

AnthonyB
03-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Indian joe, I am a 52 year old fat man and gave up on trying to be cool long ago!

Speedo66
03-17-2019, 01:31 PM
The Smith Shop in RI is a good source for some Rossi parts, better prices, and $5 shipping total, no matter what you order. Spring kits, safety filler plug, SS mag followers, etc.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/new_products.html

This mount allows you place a red dot or scout scope on your Rossi carbine, using the factory holes under your rear sight. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103&osCsid=25t3cm0034s41tgffa133ofce1

rbuck351
03-17-2019, 02:20 PM
My Puma 92 in 454 has no factory holes under the rear sight so I made my own safety plug and drilled and tapped it for a screw with a small disc brazed on the end. Works very well. I do have the scope base from NOE so one of these days I will drill and tap for it.