PDA

View Full Version : Herter's Universal Sizing and Lyman Seating Dies..

northwolf
10-17-2008, 01:58 AM
I just got a Herter's Universal Necksizing Die and a Lyman Universal Seating Die.
The Sizing Die has a 22 cal collet and the Seater has a 30 Cal Collet for 308,300Sav,30-06.
Does anyone know where to get different collets??
I'm looking for the sizer for a .243, 6.5mm, .30, 8mm and .375 collet.
Lyman doesn't list the "All American Precision Alignment Seater Die"! I guess it's obsolete!
Any suggestions, hints, links etc would be greatly appreciated. :drinks:

dromia
10-17-2008, 02:33 AM
In a previous thread there's post about the Lyman PA die, I've got one and it was identified for me in that thread.

Maven
10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
northwolf, Lyman PA dies are long gone, but they occasionally show up on FU-Bay (none is there now). As good as they are (I have one for the 8 x 57mm Mau.), the Lee Collet Die seater is their modern equivalent as is the CH-4D copy of a Vickerman [seater] die with interchangeable inserts.

Pressman
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
You could try Ed Sager, HERTERSPECIALST@aol.com, he is the only person I know who has more Herter's stuff than I do.
Ken

northwolf
10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
You could try Ed Sager, HERTERSPECIALST@aol.com, he is the only person I know who has more Herter's stuff than I do.
Ken

Thank YOU,
I just send an email..:drinks:

northwolf
10-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Here is the reply from Lyman Customer Service:
Hi,

We are sorry to tell you that Lyman has not made the PA dies or replacement parts for them in many, many years. We cannot help you with this.

Lyman customer service

That's it. I guess I have to fire up the "Old Lathe"
They have a total of 3 "Seating Screws"
"Die Bodies" according to the diameter of the Cartridge and
Sleeve Sizes according to Boolit diameter (The .308 cal also takes the .312)
Since the "Sleeve" body goes partially over the neck, I just would have to make it for the shortest neck.
It's NOT that I'm cheap (some call me that...LOL), it's more to load some obsolete and wildcat cartridges, when I don't necessarily shoot 100's of rounds with it!
If I have a gun and it is SOUND, I want to shoot it at least a few times!!
I'm working on a .375X30-40 Krag Ackley Improved on a Martini Enfield, and the project after is Mauser Vz24 with a 6.5mm Barrel I have reamers for 6.5X06, 6.5X284Norma and 6.5 Rem Mag. I'll buy a Die Set after I'm finished.
AND YES, I have all the Irons for making the Boolits!!! Just have to make a LEE type die for the 6.5.:drinks: :castmine:

I'm still checking on Collets for the Herter's Sizing die. If I can't find any, I guess I have to make some too, though they are a little bit more involved.:coffee:

shotman
10-19-2008, 03:38 AM
are you talking about the insert that herters used that used the same body and you changed the center? i have some of those but thet are all full length sizers rick

dromia
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM
northwolf, Lyman PA dies are long gone, but they occasionally show up on FU-Bay (none is there now). As good as they are (I have one for the 8 x 57mm Mau.), the Lee Collet Die seater is their modern equivalent as is the CH-4D copy of a Vickerman [seater] die with interchangeable inserts.

Maven whats the Lee collet seater die?

I use Lee dies a lot being especially fond of their Collect Neck Sizers, but I find their bullet seating die there poorest performer.

My PA die is infinitely better and easier to use, especially with cast, than the Lee.

If its not a different die whats your technique?

Maven
10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
dromia, I have to agree with you about the Lee seater die. Btw, I meant the one that comes with a collet die set.

dromia
10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks Maven.

northwolf
10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
are you talking about the insert that herters used that used the same body and you changed the center? i have some of those but thet are all full length sizers rick

Yes, It's the same die (the one with the loooong screws) the sizer collet screws on the long screw, sizes the neck only, is about an inch+1/4 long, female thread (1/2 and 5/16 deep) on one side and funnel shaped at the other, with a bleeding hole in the side and you can use almost any expander button. Mine has an inside dia of .231 for (I guess) 22-250, 223 etc. and the expander button is .222.
For the Lyman PA "universal" seater die, the sleeve fits loosely over the neck and slides freely up and down in the die.

1hole
10-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I believe the current Hornady seater is the closest to the Lyman PA.

I too have several PA dies and have turned sleeves to match scattered cartridges I have sizers but no seaters for. I turn mine so the lower enc hangs just below the die mouth, as Hornady's do, and they work quite well.

Perhaps the most critical part of making a good seater is making the bullet guide a snug fit, it should be no more than a half thou over bullet diameter but few aree that tight. But, a truly snug fit can case a problem seating cast bullets which tend to be a bit larger in diameter than jacketed.

ALL of the Lyman (and other brands of seaters too) that I have used tend to be plenty large enough to handle cast bullets easily! That extra "slop" isn't condusive to best concentricity though. The exceptions I've found are inexpensive Lee "Dead-Length" and expensive Forster BR seaters! They are usually quite tight and seat very well for me, I get very good concentricity with either of them if the cases themselves are right.

northwolf
10-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Ken

Ed has some collets/sleeves for my sizer die and we are in the process of dealing.
Thanks again for the info on Ed.:drinks:

mikenbarb
10-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I may still have some Herters Universal die collets left and will check and let you know. I just sold a nice Herters Universal neck die with a 30CR collet.

northwolf
10-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I may still have some Herters Universal die collets left and will check and let you know. I just sold a nice Herters Universal neck die with a 30CR collet.
Thank You for the offer. Ed Sager and I came to a deal, I'm getting 3 collets from him.

NOW, for th "Lyman PA "Universal" Seater Die" As I said, I have a 30Cal setup. They had different "Die Bodies" and "Sleeves" and only 3 different "Seating Screws". I think the "Die Bodies" are the same, except for the cartridge entry. Mine is for a 30-06, 308, 300 Savage, but I can also enter a 303 and 30-40. the "Sleeve" is the same. I can't enter a .284 or Magnum cartridge. All I would have to do is, open it so I can enter a Magnum cartridge. The 30 "Sleeve" is big enough for a Boolit for 30 cal. since it accepts .312 J's for the .303.
I don't think that the whole setup was meant for "Precision Seating". Lyman had different "Die Bodies" to make some money, unlike the Herter Die, who is truly a "Universal Neck Sizing Die" with a change of a collet. One collet does all the 30's or 323's or 243's.
Here is the list that came with the "Lyman P-A All-American Precision Alignment Seater Die":