PDA

View Full Version : When Colt Ruled The Range...

rintinglen
03-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Although today Colt lingers more as a name than reality, there was a time when "Colt, the World's right arm" was not just a slogan. Back in the 30's and 40's, Colt Officers Model Target Revolvers owned the firing lines at Camp Perry. There was an advertisement by Colt claiming that at the 1935 National matches, EVERY medal, trophy or ribbon won by a revolver shooter was won with a Colt. Hand fitted and polished actions made for single-action trigger pulls that most modern guns can only dream of. A steady hand, a clear eye, and practice and the next winner could be you--if you shot a Colt. Sadly, Colt's revolvers are for the most part History. Hand fitting has become too costly and today's market values capacity over accuracy, so the likes of these fine old pieces will likely never be seen again.

Above you see a pair of Officers Model Targets, one from 1923 and the other from 1940, the 22 to left, the 38 to the right. Both have had their grips replaced, sometime in the 60's or 70's, new skirts for the old ladies. Both are about 90 %, with modest muzzle wear and some brightness on the edges. They are going with me tonight when I pit my skill against the rare and elusive bulls eye. They are a little too worn to be safe queens and need to get out and strut their stuff once in a while.

johniv
03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Beautiful revolvers, sir. Thanks for shareing.

Tripplebeards
03-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Alleluia! I always felt they went down hill the day andacondas and pythons went away. All I have left is one andaconda. They can keep their modern wannabe knock offs. Colts were the Cadillac of revolvers back in the day and imo they struggle to compete with mid range revolvers now. Ever since they lost their military contracts it’s almost like they don’t care if they sell any firearms or pistols ever since. I believe they now do just enough to Try and keep their heads above water By selling their “gimmic” modern day pistols to a VERY small, select target market of die hard customers (who will defend them to their death) at an inflated price. Colt knows their pistols aren’t in great demand any more and jakcs the prices way up to cover their rear ends since they have to cover their cost and to keep the lights on. Very sad. Who ever bought them out needs to be bought out again and bring back the Colt firearms and revolvers everyone knew and loved back in the day.

Colt still rules the range when you whip your babies out!

Silvercreek Farmer
03-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Post the target!

smkummer
03-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Several variations of the officer models are still available today for sometimes a relatively modest price. 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a python is affordable.

JBinMN
03-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Thanks for sharing your pics of such a nice pair of handguns! They look to be beauties!
:)

Guesser
03-14-2019, 09:04 PM
I agree, the OM Colts were and are so very sweet. Here is a 1941 OMT and a 1951 OMS. Both 6", 38 Special, both have been beautifully refinished and wear after market stocks, trigger shoes, after market hammers. They make any shooter look Good!!!
I also have a 1961 OMM, don't know why it's not in the picture.......OOPs, wrong pic, here are the Colts

I don't know how to remove the S&W Regulation Police pair.