PDA

View Full Version : Just made a worthless rifle IMO not so worthless!

Tripplebeards
03-13-2019, 07:39 PM
I had some rifles for sale here and though I had no buyers I have been asked almost enough questions to fill my mailbox on the Lee Enfield that had a willams peep sight drilled into it. I had a lot of replies telling me it is one I should keep and worth restoring because it looks like an odd duck and might be rare. The receiver is stamped bsa 1907 mk i. Well, I believe I’m taking the advise and going to hold onto it. The thing that deterred me was the drilled and tapped receiver. I watch a Larry potterfield video this morning on how to fill in receiver holes. I used a couple a screws from wall outlet covers. I cut them down, heated them and then flattened them with a ball pine hammer. I then filed them down with a flat file and finished off with some 200 and 600 grit sandpaper. All ready for some cold bluing. I’ll have to order sone tonight or see if gander has any.

All I need is some factory wood, a cut off plate, and a rear sight!

I can tell you my hands are sore and got a workout.

I tried to remove the buttstock today. Soaked the screw in WD 40 and tapped on it while it was in a vise and it’s not comming loose. Same with the screw holding the bolt stop on as you can see. I could at least heat that one if I wanted it out but going to leave it be since nothing is broke.

http://i.imgur.com/fqiLvE9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pihpZrm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wQL8mhg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/op1DBdu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/97LcaaI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cxbNihT.jpg

JSnover
03-13-2019, 07:50 PM
I'm no gunsmith but I've done some minor repairs. You gotta love it when all goes well.
Nice work!

Tripplebeards
03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I’m pretty impressed with myself! Thanks.

Hannibal
03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Nothing is worthless if you are gaining knowledge and experience from it. I learned more from the most reprehensible person I ever met than everyone else combined. Perfect example of what NOT to do. But I digress.

Giving penetrants time to work and setting things aside while waiting for inspiration to address a problem is a luxury the tinkerer can enjoy that the professional has no time for. Your progress looks good to me. Enjoy the experience!

Uncle Grinch
03-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Instead of using WD-40 try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Works MUCH better than WD-40!

TNsailorman
03-13-2019, 08:21 PM
Good job. Sometimes it just takes a little intestinal fortitude to just step out and try a job. I have fooled myself before and I think I have plenty of company. james

KLR
03-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Nicely done!

Tripplebeards
03-13-2019, 08:27 PM
I figured I didnt have anything to loose since the rifles were basically given to me and since I had no buyers on the Lee Enfield it was worth the gamble to either try to repair or wreck it. Repair I did!

jeepyj
03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Very nicely done. It rewarding to have a project come out as nice as that did.

skeettx
03-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Nice job! Would like to see more pictures as you progress
Thank you
Mike

Tripplebeards
03-13-2019, 09:50 PM
Ill have to head to gander tomorrow and pick up some cold blue. Never tried bluing since I was a kid...and it never worked. Hopefully modern technology has done it justice in the last 35 years since I last tried.

troyboy
03-13-2019, 09:58 PM
I'd use the oxpho from Brownells. Ive used the Birchwood casey and Vans. Oxpho worked the best.

oconeedan
03-13-2019, 10:00 PM
That was not a worthless rifle, just not perfect. You did a good job.
For the screws that won't break free, as mentioned above, try acetone, the solvent may loosen up old varnish or lacquer. Make sure you use a flat ground screw driver that fits the slot perfectly. If you don't have one that fits perfectly, get one. Put a lot of downward pressure on it while trying to twist. If it doesn't break free, twist and tap the end of the handle with a small hammer while twisting. Good luck.

Winger Ed.
03-13-2019, 10:01 PM
That's a cool project.

The best cold blue I ever found was the stuff Brownell's sells under their own label.
I've had it come out pretty nice if you warm the project with a 100 watt light bulb,
and put it on 4-5 times a few hours or so apart.

Something that isn't bad is the gray colored water that comes up when you add too much to cement.
I had a tool for making the indentation line in between bricks that when I was done had a beautiful bluing job on it.

A little late now, but for filling holes, I've used a allen screw before.
Set it with locktight to the right depth. Its not flush, but it almost looks like a factory plug for something else that can go there.

303Guy
03-14-2019, 03:02 AM
Brake fluid is great stuff for freeing seized bolts and things. Just don't get it on your paint work. ATF works pretty well too but doesn't break down rust as well IIRC.

Great job on plugging those holes! I have a rifle with similarly badly aligned screw holes on the other side of the receiver - now I know how to plug them! I happen to have a similar rifle - also a 1907 - with a badly rusted bore that I got to shoot sort of reasonably with oversize paper patched boolits. I had to shorten the barrel considerably. My bush gun or as I call it, my pig gun. How is the rest of your rifle? Mine had the mating charger guide half on the bolt removed when I got it but apart from nostalgia, it would have served no purpose anyway. Besides, I changed the bolt head anyway.

The problem with filling holes with a grub screw is when those holes are visibly out of line. Like the holes on my rifle - three of them. Cement grey water you say? Good tip.

Adam Helmer
03-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Ill have to head to gander tomorrow and pick up some cold blue. Never tried bluing since I was a kid...and it never worked. Hopefully modern technology has done it justice in the last 35 years since I last tried.

Tripplebeards,

I have used cold blue with great success after a LONG learning curve. First, DEGREASE the metal and second, have the metal warm to HOT to get a good blue job.

I set up my Coleman camp stove outdoors on my picnic table and heat a big pan of hot soapy water for the degrease bit of the metal parts. I then have a pan of clear water boiling to remove the soap and oil film and to heat the metal parts. The blue takes HARD on the metal parts. After a time I dunk the blued parts into the clear hot water, polish with fine steel wool to remove the slag and apply oil. DONE!

I hope this helps.

Adam

Hardcast416taylor
03-14-2019, 01:15 PM
I'd use the oxpho from Brownells. Ive used the Birchwood casey and Vans. Oxpho worked the best.
Likewise! Ever since I tried the Oxpho from Brownell`s I`ve never again tried cold blue solutions.Robert

Tripplebeards
03-14-2019, 06:53 PM
I ordered some Oxpho blue today. The liquid not the cream. Watched some impressive videos on how well it works. I might have to do the complete rifle. Birchwood is the junk I tried in the past that never really got dark black and still looked see through no matter how many coats I did.

JSnover
03-14-2019, 07:10 PM
B-C ColdBlue has been hit-or-miss for me. I don't use it on guns anymore but I have used it to refinish tools. Doesn't give that 'family heirloom' look but it provides some rust-resistance on ground/polished steel.

Tripplebeards
03-15-2019, 01:23 PM
I gave up after a day or two of soaking and took it into the LGS to have the screws removed. If I strip them I’ll be in a world of hurt. I’m sure the $5/$20...the most is all he ever charges me will be worth it’s weight in gold.

Tripplebeards
03-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Well, I did the other Lee Enfield. It’s a 1942 long branch that someone drilled 4 holes in the receiver...right through the MK marks and shortened the barrel...so the gun will never be worth anything imo accept for a every day deer gun. I made the mistake of using Phillips head screws. I pounded then flat like last time and when I filed them flat they opened back up to the Phillips cross mark. Well, to try and make them look better than the noticeable Phillips mark I took a screw driver and tapped around them making stars...kinda like the * on the enfield. I’m sure it will look fine one I blue them VS a bunch of open screw holes. I figure since this rifle is too far gone imo I’m going to order a $40 Jungle Carbine flash hider and cut the barrel down to the 18.5” original size and try and figure out on how to attach it. This one didn’t turn out excellent like the other rifle. But I figured it’s a practice rifle and a learning process. I’m glad the other one turned out pristine since it’s barrel and receiver numbers match and is going to be a lot more valuable between the two if all things were equal.

http://i.imgur.com/hX9rjWg.jpg

Tripplebeards
03-19-2019, 01:21 AM
I tried cold bluing the complete rifle pictured directly above today with Oxpho blue. I put on six coats so I believe used enough. It has a lot of dark spotting on the barrel. I wonder if I had a buffing wheel if it would remove the dark spots to make it look more even? All in all the stuff works good.

The other rifle when I get it back will just get touched up where I filled in the receiver tap holes.

troyboy
03-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Ive found that removing the old bluing then meticulously prepping the metal prior to refinishing works best. Any finish is prep dependent. It all boils down to what your expectations are. Keep up the good work. Doing is what gets it done....

Tripplebeards
03-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Here are the pics. I put 6 plus coats on. I wonder if I put it on too thick? I used the liquid not the paste. The metal was stripped bare. I rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool afterwards. I wonder if I have to do some more rubbing with steel wool to get rid of the black spots. I did notice that some of them went away with rubbing. I just didn’t want to rub. it to bare metal. I did the whole gun. From action to muzzle. It covered great just dark black spots that look like build up. Well, it’s a lot better than what it started out with worn off bluing in most spots with surface rust on a lot of the barrel and drill holes in rather receiver. I am down to just replacing the front sight now. The original was loose and popped off when I tried to knock the sight blade off. Luckily it it didn’t strip the threads. Anyone have an extra front sight laying around?

RustyReel
03-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Take it to bare metal. Quick shoe shine motion with some 220 will take it down quickly. You want the base to be an even finish, not necessary to buff it bright but make it even. I know the Oxpho labels says it will blue over oil but it is best to degrease and then warm up the metal (heat gun works fine) and then use the blue. Should look good after 3-4 coats.

Tripplebeards
03-20-2019, 04:26 PM
I sanded it to bare metal and then I even used birchwood rust and blue remover and then buffed it with steel wool before starting. I used my heat gun to heat it up before applying. The mental was perfectly clean and warm. Instead of one base coat I kept going over it a good four times before I buffed. Maybe that’s what went wrong. I believe if I rubbed real hard the black spots will go away.

Texas by God
03-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Black enamel is proper, old chap![emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
03-29-2019, 10:41 AM
The wood on the 1942 long branch is pretty nice! I figured since it is never going to be a restore rifle I might as well jazz it up. I stripped and sanded the stock and refinished it with minwax tounge oil finish. I polished up the trigger but I don’t think it helped at all. I also did a three day cleans of all the bluing out of the barrel and cold blued it and installed a Remington front ramp.

I’m thinking of alumihydeing the gun?

http://i.imgur.com/EVT4L8T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3wvoso3.jpg

Texas by God
03-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Looking good

Tripplebeards
03-29-2019, 08:24 PM
I passed on a reproduction 1917 stock set today. It was at the local gun show for $150. I know it was a good deal but I wanted an old school weathered looking stock. The guy also had MK4 stock sets. Never asked a price. I wonder how far off it would look from my mk1***?

Geezer in NH
04-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Second the black enamel on an Enfield.

Tripplebeards
04-03-2019, 10:03 AM
I figured out what I did wrong with the bluing process. I ordered another bottle to try. I didn’t wash and clean with steel wool between coats and got a build up. I figured it out on the magazine, trigger guard, and front sight. I’ll give it another go and post pics when done. I’ve been acraglassing the front stock area so it floats and dosent wiggle around. I’m on glue number three and figure I’ll have to add one more time to get it perfect. Worse case scenario I’ll have to add a pressure point in the front area which I don’t want to do since imo it will hurt the accuracy.

http://i.imgur.com/rFNNI2Q.jpg

Tripplebeards
04-03-2019, 10:46 AM
The forend wiggled just a hair and of course the free floated barrel touches after the third go with acraglass. I decided to add some accuraglass to two different pressure points and do the Remington philosophy. It should be rock solid now. I did also get the trigger brake to 3 3/4lbs. Between the trigger and the loose forend wiggle elimination Along with a three day copper soak removal I would think I should have an accuracy improvement.

LAGS
04-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Just make sure that you rinse your steel wool in Acetone and handle everything with gloves.
Steel wool is coated in oil , and your skin will leave oil that will not let the bluing do it's thing.
Same for cold bluing as is with slow rust bluing.
Oil and build up are not your friends.

Tripplebeards
04-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. I washed,steel wooled, then wiped with alcohol for the small parts and they turned out great Imo. At least the gun looks presentable now.

osteodoc08
04-03-2019, 02:11 PM
That stock is gorgeous. Let’s see the new bluing job.

EMC45
04-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Looking like a pretty old girl now.

Tripplebeards
04-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Bluing came today. Tomorrow’s project! I’m missing a rear sling mount and swivel if anyone has one laying around. My acraglass pressure points should be dry by morning so I can unassailable and get my blue on. I’m going to have to order a b square no drill scope mount for it as well.

Tripplebeards
04-04-2019, 02:52 PM
That stock is gorgeous. Let’s see the new bluing job.

My fingers hurt from non stop steel wooling this morning. It’s done. The barrel looks better than some of my factory Remington blue jobs...and definitely better than my Ruger Americans...

http://i.imgur.com/S43lMta.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a8dqvU9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XHvrOgq.jpg

I think I’ve got the Oxfo cold blue thing figured out. One thing off my bucket list...to cold blue a complete rifle. Three coats on the barrel and I lost count on the receiver trying to get it even on the side with the long branch stamping. I learned the key was to steel wool the living heck out of it till I received an even looking coat. Then wash, clean with rubbing alcohol, heat with my propane torch and coat. I also kept wiping off the excess so I didn’t get an orange rusty build up when it dried so it went on more even.

JoeJames
04-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Excellent work. Probably better you are in Wisconsin rather than Arkansas; otherwise I might have fallen for it, and gone home none the wiser. Looks better than factory.

TNsailorman
04-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Good work. OOOO wool is your friend. I learned the same lesson that you mentioned about not using it between coats--the hard way. Seems like things I learn the hard way stay the longest. james

LAGS
04-04-2019, 06:33 PM
We All make mistakes.
Just remember to not make them Twice.

Buzzard II
04-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Looking good! This may come late, but there are 2 types of 0000 steel wool. The one WITH oil in it, and the one WITHOUT. I use the one without for gun work. I also use Kroil to soak stuck bolts, seems to work for me. Keep up the good work!

Tripplebeards
04-04-2019, 08:30 PM
I just put it back together. They only thing I want to blue yet is the safety and maybe the bolt handle...but ill save it for another day. I just tested the trigger after putting back together. It brakes at 52/54 oz. a little over three pounds now. She should be a shooter! I’m going to have to get a B square no drill scope mount ordered up for it soon. Hopefully I’ll get the 1907 mk1*** back from the LGS soon so I can pick up where I left off with it and start looking for some original wood for it.

Kinda reminds me of a generic ghost and the darkness gun.

http://i.imgur.com/GL2VLgz.jpg

KLR
04-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Dang, that's nice! Great job!

Texas by God
04-04-2019, 11:41 PM
An original flip down dual peep rear(like the #5) would be good on that beautiful sporter and so much handier than a scope. The Enfield is still the original and only bolt action assault rifle. I would hunt with that one any day!

Tripplebeards
04-05-2019, 09:30 AM
An original flip down dual peep rear(like the #5) would be good on that beautiful sporter and so much handier than a scope. The Enfield is still the original and only bolt action assault rifle. I would hunt with that one any day!

I’d like to put one on but after $4600 out of pocket lazik surgery open sights are just not crisp for me. Optics and red dots are my friends. I can throw up a scope faster and quicker and be dead nuts on VS open sights. Been using optics since the 70’s and are like an extension on my body imo. Went from not being able to see anything from 10’ on to to seeing a country mile but need reading glasses for close up. It’s borderline on open sights for me. Just wrecks the original old school coolness value of the gun imo when putting an optic on it to me.

EMC45
04-06-2019, 09:59 AM
The rifle looks nice.