PDA

View Full Version : Trimming brass to shorten OCL

hylander
03-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Rifle and Cartridge in Question:
Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt

So I found a load my rifle loves.
However the OCL is about .020 - .030 to long to feed through the mag without a hitch.
So I was thinking, what about trimming my brass back to shorten the OCL.
I want to be able to crimp in the crimp groove is the reason I am thinking of trimming the brass back.
What do you think?

Walks
03-13-2019, 01:59 PM
It's ok to do. If you mark your brass. I marked mine by dragging a 3 cornered file across the headstamp. Permanently marking the brass. And allowing quick I. D. Of fired cases.

bikerbeans
03-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Reduces case capacity and increases pressure with same powder charge. May or may not be a problem depending on how hot you are loading.

BB

Chainsaw.
03-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Try a handful, trim em short, load em, taking into account the upped pressure that bikerbeans mentions, shoot em for results, make a decision to carry on or desist. If the gun likes it and the load is safe, why not.

hylander
03-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Thanks,
I'll trim a hand full and see how it goes.
These are mild loads, so pressure will not be an issue.

indian joe
03-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks,
I'll trim a hand full and see how it goes.
These are mild loads, so pressure will not be an issue.

The other option is a mold with the crimp groove in the correct location?

RED BEAR
03-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Thats exactly what hornady does with there leverevolution ammo. I would be careful not to use max loads. As others have said less case capacity can equal higher pressure.

ReloaderFred
03-13-2019, 05:55 PM
If you run across some Hornady once fired brass, it will already be shortened for you. I have to segregate my Hornady .45 Colt brass from my other brass, since it's shorter.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rintinglen
03-14-2019, 12:30 PM
If you run across some Hornady once fired brass, it will already be shortened for you. I have to segregate my Hornady .45 Colt brass from my other brass, since it's shorter.

Hope this helps.

Fred

what he said--it may already be short enough for your purpose and you will save several hours.