PDA

View Full Version : Noe 310-165-fn-h3

weeple2000
03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
I did something I told myself I wasn't going to do. It seems that casting and reloading are a bit of a rabbit hole. I have been doing pretty well not buying a ton of guns. I am wondering if I am going to wind up with a collection of molds however.

Most of my equipment is Lee. I feel that they are a very solid choice for many of their products. Great price point. I am not sure how I feel about their molds however. I wanted to try another option. There was a coupon for eBay today. So I wound up buying an NOE 310-165-FN-H3. It was a 4 cavity, for $75.50 shipped. It's used.

I realize I will really need to cast some boolits to see how they fit any gun I want to shoot them out of. But what are people's opinions of this mold? I have a bolt action 30-06. I am going to shoot some Lee 200 grainers out of it. Being a bore rider design, those boolits will jam into the rifling when they're chambered. I see that the NOE 310-165-FN-H3 has a more tapered nose. I thought the flat point might be good for hunting. I also may want to load some in 308 for a friend's rifle. It's a pump though, so I don't think you can jam a boolit into the rifling when you load it like you can with a bolt.

Has anyone had success powder coating this boolit? I can't wait to cast some and see what I wind up with.

Is there a mechanism in place by which people swap boolits to test rather than buying molds?

Oily
03-12-2019, 11:56 PM
As to your last question, yes it is called the boolit exchange. As to using that boolit for hunting it really doesn't have much of a flat point or meplat. Powder coating is a great way to go on any boolit. The tapered nose on that boolit would work well in your friends pump rifle

weeple2000
03-13-2019, 01:41 AM
What are some other options with a larger flat point or meplat that would work in either of those rifles? From the NOE/Accurate/M&P/Arsenal options?

Oily
03-13-2019, 02:12 AM
All depends on your rifle.Welcome to the cast boolit addiction. Every rifle likes one boolit over the next. And different powders make a huge difference in accuracy.If you have sizing dies I can send you some raw 30 cal boolits to try. I have quite a few molds in 30 cal from 113 gr to 200 gr

weeple2000
03-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Sent you a pm.

weeple2000
03-19-2019, 02:02 AM
Here is a pic of the mold in question. I have it in my possession. This is my first NOE mold. Is it new?

I would rather not clean it if it has been used.