PDA

View Full Version : Savage reloading press, Anyone ever heard of one?

mikenbarb
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I just got my hands on an old Savage reloading press supposed from the 50's or 60's and wondering if anyone has ever seen or used one of them? Its a single stage metallic press with a large rectangular O frame with a crossmember to take the flex out. It looks real nice and im gonna try it out this weekend. Im also wondering if its worth having in my collection or just using it.

dromia
10-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Any chance of some pictures?

Bent Ramrod
10-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Savage advertised it as being made out of steel rather than cast iron. I've maybe seen one in 30+ years of viewing used loading equipment at gun shows and gun store remainder tables. Rarity is no reason not to use it, though, at least IMHO.

There should be an old thread on the Savage reloading press somewhere on this site.

DLCTEX
10-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I had a set of Savage reloading dies in 30-30, but stupidly sold them and now have had to buy new for one of my latest rifles. I had them so long I don't remember where I got them. DALE

Pressman
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Named the Straight Eight after the unique shape of the upper frame, this press is one of my favorites. The ram and linkage are typical Pacific-type with an extra long, 13.5 inch, handle. The Model 730 press was designed by William S. Winton, who had previously never reloaded a single round of ammo. The gold color for the press was picked by Richard Havourd. Together, they were issued a patent for the press and its priming system on July 5, 1966. Mr. Winton was talented and gifted engineer who was related to the Winton automobile family. He was given the task to design the press when Savage decided to quit making lawn mowers.

This is not a large press. The frame is made in two pieces. The frame is a strong, steel forging, as compared to other maker’s presses which were made of cast iron. The mounting base is a casting. The upper frame is 6 inches tall but only 2.5 inches wide. A horizontal cross bar provides extra support and positive alignment of the ram to the die in the up or down position.

Mounting the Straight Eight to the bench also offers some choices. The handle is in line with the right side of the press and is set at a 45 degree angle to the bench. The upper frame is positioned 90 degrees to the left away from the operator. The frame may be rotated in the base for right or left-hand operation. To use the press the operator must set with his right side to the bench and feed the press with the left hand. Except that he cannot reach the bench with the left hand. The small, narrow frame, plus the cross bar in the frame also interferes with your hands when inserting long rifle cases.

The Savage press is also different from other presses of the time in that all the parts on the press are unique to this press. Most other maker’s presses share some common parts in the handle, pivot block primer system or ram. All the press parts and dies were made in-house at Savage.

The priming arm works very well although there is no provision for primer feed tubes. In fact it works so well that it was copied by Redding and is still used on their presses today. Savage did consider going after Redding for patent infringement but dropped the idea.

:-D
Ken

happy7
10-20-2008, 09:50 PM
One sold on ebay for over $100 as I remember

mikenbarb
10-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Pressman, Thats identicle to the one I have. COOL!! Any idea if their worth anything?

dromia
10-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge about this piece pressman, most interesting.

$100 on illegitimatebay, I'd pay that, wonder what the UK shipping would be though. :shock:

mikenbarb
10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
I guess I got a great deal for 40 bucks then. Im a happy man and got a new toy for the bench and gonna give it a run today with some 30-30 brass to see how it does. Thanks for the help everyone and thank you again pressman for the lesson in reloading history. Its always nice to learn something new with a nice piece of vintage equipment. I love the old stuff alot but im only good with my knowledge on the old Herters stuff and a couple others.

dromia
10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
You did indeed get a great deal sir, congratulations. :drinks:

scrapcan
10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
meknbarb,

You need to be a member of the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association also. Now that you have that little beast, there will be far more to come. I assure you of that, I also have the affliction. I would be that Pressman will atest to that aswell. Look up the ARTCA and spend a few days looking at stuff you will want in the future.

mikenbarb
10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Manleyjt, I got lots and lots of old reloading items and like them much more than the newer China made stuff and im into the Herters stuff the most. I think my favorite is my Herters Super 81 and Super 234 Turret. I had 2 of the 234 Turrets and Bull Shop just got one from me that I wasnt using anymore. The Super 81 is great because of the 2 ram design and it cuts my time in half on sizing and loading because I do two steps at once with it.
Do you by chance have a link you can send me to the antique reloading tool site? Thanks, Mike

Pressman
10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/index.html

Mike did you ever get to look over your collection of reloading treasures last weekend? I really, really would like to fiand that special Herter's Model 3 Improved.

Ken

mikenbarb
10-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Pressman, I did look but couldnt find it and think I may have lent it to my father or one of my friends and will check and see if I can locate it and let you know. I thought I had it here but went crazy looking for it and couldnt find it, I then remembered lending it out but cant recall to who it went to but hopefully it wont be hard to locate who has it.
Just to give an update on the Savage press, I ran 40pcs. of 30-30 thru it and it worked great! It was nice for sizing without lots of effort to FL size the cases and it has a nice smooth action to it and im happy with my new addition to the family of vintage presses on my bench.

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I belive gun parts had some left over parts severaal yrs ago.:coffeecom