PDA

View Full Version : Sig P320 X5 - *** Variant.

dansedgli
03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Hey guys,

Having a little issue with my P320 X5.

Any guesses as to what is happening?

Sig X5 on left.
Glock 17 in middle.
CZ Shadow 2 on right.

Tip - Sig's blaming the ammo. :sad:

FergusonTO35
03-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Oh my. I'm genuinely shocked they dont want that thing on a first class ticket back to Exeter.

Tackleberry41
03-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Sig USED to be a good name. But they wanted to make bargain guns, somehow Glock, S&W etc can make a usable $500 gun. But Sig can't. Stopped at a local shop, owner asks if I knew what was up w a brand new super wombat target Sig 320. Dangerous to fire as it barely locked closed, if at all.

Funny as Sig now farms out stuff like magazines, but still charges as if made in Austria by Sig.

winelover
03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Not enough info...........need specifics on ammo. Factory or reloads? Cast or Jacketed? Same ammo for plunk test in all three barrels?

Without specifics my guess is a short throat.

BTW, I have a Sig 320 RX Compact as well as five other brands of nines. All my reloads pass the plunk test, in every one of them.

Winelover

dansedgli
03-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Those rounds plunk fine in all barrels. It's just not as supported in the Sig as it is in the others. The throat is way longer in the sig than the shadow barrel on the right.

Those are reloads, factory stuff looks the same.

Pretty big bevel around the chamber for some reason. It fills out nicely when 1/20 cases bulge. Haven't blown one yet but it has to be coming soon.

Trying to organise a barsto barrel for it but living in Australia makes it hard. They tell me it is more supported and the issues go away.

35remington
03-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Stop shooting that thing and get it resolved ASAP.

Texas by God
03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Exactly. Don't shoot another round. It appears to be slam firing and since it's not an Uzi- you have a big problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

roysha
03-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Does it do that with a sized case and no projectile seated?

ALL of my SIGS, 9mm,40,357, & 45 had to be throated to accept anything other then factory FMJ ammo. Until I did that, NONE of them would pass the plunk test with my cast bullet loads. In fact, about half the time the gun would not return fully to battery because the bullet was hitting the rifling and the slide would need to be pressed against the bench to retract it since the bullet was stuck into the rifling so hard. There was NO throat in any of them. Throated them and they run great.

dansedgli
03-13-2019, 06:24 PM
The cases with no projectiles seat the same.

The throat is super long in this. This thing accepts old 1911 dummy rounds I have lying around that are 1.160. They wont go close to seating properly in my shadow 2 barrel.

Sig barrels are on backorder. Barsto's could take months to get here. No warranty help.

My worst purchase ever. :(

Adam20
03-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Send that picture of brass to sig and ask them if it supposed to look like that. They will fix it then

dansedgli
03-13-2019, 07:43 PM
I have already.

They aren't interested. I'm in Australia so it's easy for SIG USA to tell me to go pound sand.

They told me to contact my local distributor. I did and they told me the 12 month warranty is over so too bad.

My fault for buying 2nd hand I guess.

I'd be less bitter about it if I could go buy a new barrel but they are backordered with SIG USA for god knows how long. No other option available at the moment.

This is the last sig I'll buy.

5Shot
03-13-2019, 07:49 PM
It looks like it was short chambered and they left the the barrel hood long to match.

35remington
03-13-2019, 07:52 PM
If the end of the cartridge does not project beyond the barrel hood I am at somewhat of a loss as to how this one can occurr. I am sorry to say I his is a new one on me. It is as if part of the breech end of the chamber was removed in putting an extra long tapered entrance in place.

Weird.

dansedgli
03-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Yep, my thoughts too 35remington.

If there was meat there it wouldn't bulge.

No idea why they have done this. I doubt the bevel around the entire chamber would help feeding.

Any idea if this could be welded up and recut?

9.3X62AL
03-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Dan--Let me make sure I understand you correctly--both SIG Arms AND Bar-Sto barrels for the P-320 X5 are back-ordered? I am sorry if this is the case. Perhaps with both makers in this condition, it says volumes about the problems with this variant's chambers.

I have noticed that the more "vigorous" loadings in the Glock 20 and 29 (10mm) tend to "guppy" the brass a bit--much like 2nd Generation Glock 40 S&W OEM chambers did. I have shut both pistols down until I receive aftermarket barrels for both pistols that fully support the case head area. Kind of a PITA, but I don't want a kB with a 10mm. Poor form, that.

I have SIG-Sauer P-220 x 45 ACP and P-226 & P-228 in 9mm. None have hiccuped on any jacketed or cast bullet I have run through them. Their throating is quite short, but it's there. Seating the Lee TC bullets with .020" of front drive band exposed above the case mouth gives reliable feeding and unfettered extraction of live rounds. Only a light taper crimp is applied as a finishing touch after the bullet is fully seated.

dansedgli
03-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Sig Arms is backordered.

I am trying to organise a barsto. They are made to order but getting one in Australia is tricky. I haven't heard back from the guy who I think is a distributor. I can't just buy one and have it sent over due to your export laws.

My correspondence with barsto suggests they are aware that this is a problem.

Skipper
03-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Sig Arms is backordered.

I am trying to organise a barsto. They are made to order but getting one in Australia is tricky. I haven't heard back from the guy who I think is a distributor. I can't just buy one and have it sent over due to your export laws.

My correspondence with barsto suggests they are aware that this is a problem.

Send it as "High pressure steel tubing"

slughammer
03-14-2019, 12:55 AM
......Pretty big bevel around the chamber for some reason. It fills out nicely when 1/20 cases bulge. Haven't blown one yet but it has to be coming soon.....

237840If 1 out of 20 look like that, what do the other 19 look like?

Granted what we are calling an unsupported chamber here isn't helping anything, but with same hardness brass, the outcome should be the same all the time. Not just 1/20.

What does it look like when you put one of the bulged cases back in the barrel? Is the base flush with the hood?

How easily does it unlock from battery? How far back can you pull the slide and get the hammer to drop?

dansedgli
03-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Other brass isn't as bad.

Bulged a little but probably resizable. The main culprit is PPU brass and 1 other type I don't recognise. It must be thinner. Lucky it is strong enough to contain the explosion.

It's not firing out of battery. The striker stops firing when the barrel hood and breachface part ways. There is quite a lot of movement in the slide before the barrel unlocks.

slughammer
03-14-2019, 01:26 AM
What does it look like when you put one of the bulged cases back in the barrel? Is the base flush with the hood?

dansedgli
03-14-2019, 01:28 AM
The really bad ones are a tiny bit proud. The others are flush.

dansedgli
03-14-2019, 07:33 AM
I'm not going to push this friendship any further.

Texas by God
03-14-2019, 07:40 AM
My brother had a Tec9 that did that. Parted it out and threw the barrel away. Problem solved.

Dusty Bannister
03-14-2019, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=dansedgli;4599796]
They told me to contact my local distributor. I did and they told me the 12 month warranty is over so too bad.

My fault for buying 2nd hand I guess.

I'd be less bitter about it if I could go buy a new barrel but they are backordered with SIG USA for god knows how long. No other option available at the moment.
-------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you should be returning the gun to the point of purchase for a refund. Is there any way to compare this barrel with that of another firearm of the same model. Perhaps the original purchaser made the alterations to the barrel that seem to be the problem.

I can see where the maker would be reluctant to accept a claim from the second owner of any firearm. Best suggestions have already been made. Quit shooting it until you resolve the issue.
Dusty

Uncle Grinch
03-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Is this why I’ve seen photos of 9mm brass with what appears to be an inner ring inside the case?

osteodoc08
03-14-2019, 08:54 PM
I'm not going to push this friendship any further.

That’s not cool. At all. I’d resend Sig another email. A barrel heading your way is significantly cheaper than bad PR on the net. Yikes!

I would not advise shooting that any more until it’s fixed. This is probably the reason you bought it second hand and was not disclosed to you. Which is a breach of common decency at the least. Bad business practice as well. Did you purchase from an individual or a brick and mortar?

dansedgli
03-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Purchased from an individual who still swears nothing of the sort happened to him.

He said he barely shot it. Maybe 200 rounds.

I am skeptical.

I am annoyed because I sold my glock and all its parts to fund this gun. It wasn't accurate but at least it was safe.

Tackleberry41
03-15-2019, 07:49 AM
No he knew exactly what was wrong with the gun, why he sold it.

osteodoc08
03-15-2019, 08:04 AM
No he knew exactly what was wrong with the gun, why he sold it.

Exactly

Bmi48219
03-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Maybe SIG will reconsider their position since the CT Supreme Court ruled victims can sue firearm manufacturers.

Petrol & Powder
03-16-2019, 02:09 PM
I can't speak to the new SIG stuff but I have had good experiences with most of their older stuff.

I don't know what happened to SIG but I'm not seeing the positive quality to cost ratio I once did.

SIG is currently capturing large portions of the market, including some huge military and law enforcement orders.

In my opinion, this is the time to sit back and wait for SIG to fill those orders and avoid getting into that feeding frenzy. I would NOT attempt to buy a new SIG right now. They are currently commanding prices far beyond their value and commercial customers are paying a premium for the SIG name right now.

Most of us have seen the past feeding frenzies, Wonder-nines, AR's, S&W model 29's, magnum bolt actions, etc. It's best to wait them out.
Right now SIG is where Glock was about 15-20 years ago. Well established, capturing big contracts, taking market share from their competitors. This is a good time to sit on the sidelines and wait for SIG to stabilize.

str8wal
03-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Is this why I’ve seen photos of 9mm brass with what appears to be an inner ring inside the case?

Some 9mm, and 380 cases actually have a stepped inner "shelf", not associated with the OP's issue.