PDA

View Full Version : best reloading press for beginners

theangrydangler
03-12-2019, 06:28 PM
what is the best reloading press for someone who is just getting into reloading? ive been looking around and i was thinking about the lee classic turret press or the lee 1000. what do you guys think? im mostly going to be reloading for 357 magnum

red67
03-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Out of those choices, I'd recommend the Lee classic turret. It can be used as a progressive or as a single stage. A very handy and versatile press, with inexpensive turrets that can be swapped out when reloading multiple calibers.

Don't think there aren't better options, such as a Dillon, but they come with a hefty price.

It's just like cars, how fast you want to go depends on how much you are willing to spend.

theangrydangler
03-12-2019, 07:00 PM
yeah i was looking at some rcbs presses but whew idk if im ready for that kind of investment. i kind of had my heart set on the classic turret i just wanted an outside opinion on it before pulling the trigger (pun intended) ;)

Winger Ed.
03-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Go to the online places that sell them, Midway, Natchez, etc.
There are hundreds of reviews from guys that bought and use them.

dragon813gt
03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Out of those choices the LCT. I have one and use it a lot. It’s one of the most versatile presses. But it’s not a progressive. It has auto advance which just speeds up production.

I’m not one to tell a new reloader they can’t learn on a progressive. I will tell you to not listen to anyone that tells you such. But that particular Lee press is going to be frustrating to use. If you want an easy to use progressive that won’t give you constant problems buy a Dillon. They’re worth the money and there’s a reason they have the reputation they do.

For a new reloader buy what you can afford and make it work for you. There will always be a need for a single stage. Any one w/ a compound linkage will work. The differences after that point are ergonomics and options. A turret press is a good intermediate step. But the Lee is the only one w/ auto advance. A progressive should be bought based on the volume of shooting you do. I won’t discourage someone from buying a Super 1050 if they shoot 100 rounds a year. Calling it overkill would be an understatement. But if that’s what someone wants then by all means buy it.

gareth96
03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Natchez has a 10% off thru tomorrow.. just saved a bundle buying a Hornady LnL AP from them..

zymguy
03-12-2019, 07:11 PM
What else do you have ? Id suggest budget at least as much on calipers/ measuring tools and manuals as your first press. You’ll be a lot closer to accuracy than buying the most expensive press . When it’s time for your press to match your skill you’ll know exactly what YOU want in a press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBinMN
03-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Personally I have recommended anyone to start out with a single stage press to begin with, to get used to doing things in a simple & systematic way to learn the techniques needed do do a safe & quality reloading process.
Then, move on to multiple die locations & operations, after the basics are figured out.

Of course, there are those who disagree, but so far it seems to me that there sure are a lot of folks who start out with multiple die presses & end up confused about how to set their dies, how the press works when there is an issue with some part of the operation, powder measure use & powder thru dies, bullet/boolit collating etc.. Many of which would be pretty simple to figure out if one started on a single stage press and had the basics down first & them progressed into more complicated processes to reload.

My own experience & thus opinion is based on learning on my own a long time ago, on a MEC shotgun press & a single stage RCBS press & so maybe I am jaded in my thinking the way I do.

I have taught several folks how to use the single stage first, and even loaning them a single stage to use, if they did not have one, and a couple of them already owned a turret press(Lyman Spar-T) or even a progressive(Hornady LockNLoad). They all told me since that learning the set ups for a single stage helped them later on, when using their multiple die presses.

The one with the Lyman Turret said even though it basically does the operations without having to change dies often, it helped if one had to change dies to adapt to another caliber to remember what to do to set the dies up in the first place & to adjust for different things such as different seating & crimp settings, etc.. The one with the Hornady LnL still is uncomfortable using it since he keep running into troubles with setting it up, so he went and bought his own single stage to use, rather than hanging on to mine, and so he could keep reloading rounds to shoot while he worked out the snags with the LnL.

So, while others may not see it the same way I do, my vote goes to having folks start on a single stage.

G'Luck! to any who have to make the decision on what to get for a press type! This is a great place to ask!
;)

Shawlerbrook
03-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Definitely a single stage and I cannot think of one better than the RCBS Rockchucker.

gpidaho
03-12-2019, 07:26 PM
My choice for a beginner press would be what I learned on, that being the RCBS Rockchucker. Even better if you start with the package deal that includes the other basic tools. Powder measure, case trimmer, balance beam scale and misc. smaller items. RCBS tools will last a life time if cared for and are easy to get a good price for if you move on to one of the great progressives like Dillon. Gp

metricmonkeywrench
03-12-2019, 07:37 PM
So I’m about 5 years in on reloading, so relatively a rookie compared to some around here and echo JBs advice on starting on a single stage. Learn and understand the basics first before heading down the progressive route.

Most everything you need to start on a budget can normally be found on the secondary market in places like the swap and trade here, Craigslist and eBay . The big parts- press, scale and primer, case trimmer and calipers are available and can be had for reasonable prices. Get the basics and once you decide to go full tilt and get a couple thousand rounds under your belt you will learn your weaknesses and know what needs upgrading. Stay with the major manufacturers and you should be fine.

Watch out for some of the older stuff such as Herters, older Lyman and a few others, they often take unique shell holders and replacement parts which may no longer be readily available.

The number one thing you need though are books and manuals, read the front end of Lee, Hornady, Lyman and so on manuals there are several pro videos and DVDs to be had.

Beware of the internet and “the best load ever” posts. Do your own math and learn the signs of ovepressure and other issues.

Most of all enjoy rolling your own and all the “savings” your about to reap

Chainsaw.
03-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Any of the O types are my recommendation. You will forever use a single stage press when reloading for various tasks such as sizing cast bullets. Forming rifle brass etc. Plus loading on a single stage slows you down a little while you are still new, helps to keep you from blowing your hands and face off.

Just my two pennies.

poppy42
03-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Personally I don’t recommend a progressive press or even a Turret press for someone who is new to reloading. I think you need to use a single stage press before you use Either a progressive or a Turret press. By learning on a single stage you learn all the Processes involved in reloading ammunition. One at a time! You learn how to properly set up the dies, de- cap the brass, prime the brass, etc... With progressives and terret presses all the processes become a little too automated . To easy to make a mistake . And although reloading, if done properly, is very safe it can be dangerous if done improperly or haphazardly . With all that being said the Lee single stage presses offer a new reloader and inexpensive way to get started in a new hobby without breaking the bank. You can always upgrade to a turret or a progressive if you so choose at some point in the future . And there will always be a use for that single stage press that you started out with. I’ve been reloading since the 80s and most of the time I did all my reloading on a single stage press. I did upgrade to a Turret press some years ago for my pistol and small caliber reloads. For the most part my 30.06 are still done on my single stage press. For my needs I have no reason to go with a progressive Press! Unless you’re planning on shooting large volumes of pistol ammunition or maybe small caliber rifle (5.56/223) I see no benefit for me to have a progressive press. I can easily load 200+rounds of 9 mm or 9 mm Makarov on my Turret press in an hour. And I can use all the same dies and shell holders that I used on my single stage press.
Furthermore I suggest that before you invest in any other equipment you pick up a basic reloading manual ! I highly recommend “Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee” for a new reloader. It covers an introduction to reloading, types of equipment including a whole section on presses and all the processes involved in reloading. Granted it’s all about Lee equipment but that’s not a bad place to start out . It also has some pretty decent generic load data. It can be found on Amazon for about 24 bucks! That ain’t bad and it’s not a big expense to shell out when you getting started. The Lyman re-loading manual is also a good choice I just think the Lee has a little bit more general information especially for a new reloader. Anyway this is all just opinion on my part and I’m sure there’s plenty that will disagree with me but you asked I answered
Good luck, be safe, have fun

Skunk1
03-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Single stage Rcbs rock chucker. They last a lifetime and more. But a used one, Rcbs stands behind their product. If your starting out and have time, it’s best to learn first. Other calibers will come and the chucker will do most all.

wv109323
03-12-2019, 08:43 PM
I really don't think there is a wrong answer to your question. If mostly .357 then just about any press will do.
If you see your self resizing rifle cases then I would go with a heavy single stage. Lee and RCBS puts together some package deals that are good if you want to jump in with both feet.
I would recommend a Lyman reloading manual first. It has good info on the reloading process and reloading information. Also go to youtube. Nearly every reloading company has videos on their products and how to use them.

Baltimoreed
03-12-2019, 08:45 PM
I’ll also vote for a used single stage to start out with. Good scales, data manual and a good measure too. Lyman or RCBS products give good service and they stand behind what they sell.

Jlw6636
03-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Get the Lee classic CAST turret. If you are just starting out, remove the indexing rod and begin loading in single stages. I myself started with the Lee hand press learn the fundamentals. I then bought a Lee single stage cast press once I felt comfortable and this hobby was something more that I wanted to peruse and wanted the capability to load large rifle cases. Then after time, I moved on to the turret when pistol reloading came into play. The classic CAST will meet all your needs and not beak the bank.

Green Frog
03-12-2019, 09:06 PM
As I was scrolling through the responses I was framing a response of my own until I read #8 from JBinMN. He said basically the same things I was thinking. As more of the posts unwound, the only thing I still feel I need to add. Although I personally acquired my extensive variety of equipment by swapping, hustling, inheritance and sheer persistence, if I were starting out on a budget and wanted the basic stuff I needed to begin the process, I would look very hard at Lee's basic Breech Lock Reloader Press or something equally basic. I probably would look at gun shows, yard sales, Craig's List, etc, and try to find something used, but I'm cheap. ;)

I admit I'm an equipment junkie, but in this particular case basic and simple will be the way to go. :mrgreen:

Froggie

osteodoc08
03-12-2019, 09:08 PM
I think if the OP defines their goals and their budget we can steer them to the best press(Es) for the job

Hossfly
03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
I agree, the single stage press will get you started, especially with a kit type. You will never regret it, treat it right, learn all you can on that, then if you like reloading, get one that’s faster. But keep your single, its good for testing and load working, ladder testing etc. the progressive are harder to change something, there good for producing large amounts of ammo quickly.

NyFirefighter357
03-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Lee classic turret

RED BEAR
03-13-2019, 07:33 AM
I have been loading with the same lee classic single stage press for 40+ years. I did rebuild it a little while back and tightened it up better than new. Never saw a reason to change. I did buy a smartloader c press mainly because i wanted to see what a $13 dollar press looked like. I will admit it ain't the best but it does work and for thirteen dollars what the heck. I think a lee turret press is a good press. I like the single stage as i weigh every charge.

onelight
03-13-2019, 08:11 AM
If you are just getting started you as has been pointed out you have many items you need in addition to a press ,manuals , a good scale , a few case prep items , powder measure , dies ,
Shell holder , you will want a press that will accept a primer feed or a hand priming kit ,if you maximum loads you will want a powder trickler.
I have 2 electronic scales but I have much more confidence in my old Lyman beam scale. A good scale is one of the most important items you need. I’m not a fan of the Lee scale.
The point of this ramble is you have to decide how much you want to invest to start.
The Lee classic cast turret is probably the most bang for your buck and many experienced reloaders keep and use them even after getting much more expensive equipment.
You can add a powder measure and primer feed to it and still be less than $200.00
A good scale will be another $100. + or - if you go with this press get the Lee 4 die set another 40 to 50.00

juggernault98
03-13-2019, 08:21 AM
I went with a turret press from midwayusa.. Two years later in ready to upgrade to a progressive.

gypsyman
03-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Start out with what you can comfortably afford. You can upgrade later, if you decide to really get into hand loading. I spent less than a $100 on a Rock Chucker press, Lyman balance beam scale, powder, primers, bullets. Of course that was 1975.

Wayne Smith
03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Of your choices the Lee Cast single stage press - it is strong, versatile, and doesn't dump spent primers all over the floor!

Start with a single stage press for the above stated reasons and one more - you will make mistakes. It is much nicer to recognize a mistake when you have loaded five or ten rounds. Much more of a problem when you are 100-300 rounds in.

All of my currently used presses were purchased used. They basically don't wear out. My only new press is my Buchannon - and I'm about to loan that to a friend to learn on! Unfortunately prices on e-Bay are such that you will spend as much on a used RockChucker as the Lee press new and still have spent primers going everywhere - thus the advice to get the Lee new.

Froogal
03-13-2019, 09:58 AM
what is the best reloading press for someone who is just getting into reloading? ive been looking around and i was thinking about the lee classic turret press or the lee 1000. what do you guys think? im mostly going to be reloading for 357 magnum

Lee single stage anniversary kit. You don't need a turret until you know exactly what happens at which stage of the reloading process and can observe the quantity of powder that is dropped, etc. Reloading is not a show of strength, nor is it a race to see how quickly you can get done.

str8wal
03-13-2019, 10:08 AM
classic turret press

Been using one for decades, but have never used it as "progressive". The advantage to me is changeovers. To change to a different chambering all you need do is swap out the turret. To change processes all you need to is twist the turret. The only disadvantage is primer ejection as many wind up on the floor. The Lee breechlock press has a much better primer system and is still pretty quick to change processes if you get the bushings.

rbuck351
03-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Any used single stage cast iron press with compound linkage and a primer arm. This press you will keep forever. By the time you get loading figured out you will know what you want next. That and a decent manual scale and a couple (or more) of loading manuals, dies and shell holder and you can start loading. There are more items that you will want but get started so you can figure out what you will want to make loading easier and faster.

Taterhead
03-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Not many of us have just one press. I grow weary loading high volume ammo on a SS, and a turret wouldn't be quick enough. So the short-sighted view asks which press. The long view is what is the right path to presses that will cover all bases.

New loaders have a very narrow view. They don't realize that mission creep is real. How many of us load for far more cartridges now than we envisioned when starting out?

This is why I recommend a good SS kit like the Rock Chucker master reloading kit. A good SS is invaluable. Always useful. And the accompanying gear is great.

Then as the reloader gains experience and context, the path to a higher volume companion press is better informed.

Pete44mag
03-13-2019, 11:40 AM
I started a little over two years ago reloading for the first time. I read several books including the Lee Manual before I started to see if it was what I wanted to do. A friend gave me a life time loan of a RCBS Rock Chucker to load 9mm. After about 1000 rounds I moved on to a Dillion 550c because of the amount of ammo I was using per month. (You don't save money reloading you shoot way more!) I still have the Rock Chucker mounted to my bench and use it for any number of reasons. My friend was smart enough and had enough experience reloading to know he was not getting that single stage press back. You will not go wrong by starting on a single stage press because it will show you step by step how to reload. Another benefit of a SS press is you will always use it in the future no matter what type of progressive press is in your future. Get several good manuals, follow them, be save and the very best of luck to you!!!

Froogal
03-13-2019, 11:46 AM
I started a little over two years ago reloading for the first time. I read several books including the Lee Manual before I started to see if it was what I wanted to do. A friend gave me a life time loan of a RCBS Rock Chucker to load 9mm. After about 1000 rounds I moved on to a Dillion 550c because of the amount of ammo I was using per month. (You don't save money reloading you shoot way more!) I still have the Rock Chucker mounted to my bench and use it for any number of reasons. My friend was smart enough and had enough experience reloading to know he was not getting that single stage press back. You will not go wrong by starting on a single stage press because it will show you step by step how to reload. Another benefit of a SS press is you will always use it in the future no matter what type of progressive press is in your future. Get several good manuals, follow them, be save and the very best of luck to you!!!

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't sure how much I would like reloading, or not like it all, so I didn't want to invest a lot of money for stuff that would just be abandoned and neglected. The Lee single stage filled that bill very nicely. 6 years later, that press is still serving all my needs. I may eventually add a second press, but I doubt I will ever feel the need for a turret or progressive press.

Livin_cincy
03-13-2019, 11:48 AM
I would never recommend a SS press unless you know you will need one for a specific caliber. Otherwise after you move on you will keep it dedicate it to a function that you can do on your new press. They become " My First Press " trophy.

The Turret Press is superior in that you can complete a round without changing dies.

The Lee self indexing designs are excellent for handgun calibers. The ability to manually index is often preferred for rifle calibers.

The Lyman 8 station & Redding 7 station turrets are manual indexing and great for all Rifle & handgun Calibers.

The Dillon 550 is a pseudo progressive / turret since you must manually index them. It is a time tested & proven design.

The year old Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro is an interesting design that does not fully fit into the which type of press box. It seems it is closest to a Dillon 550 than anything else. The first station is directly over the ram so it is great for anything you might need a single stage for. The other three stations make it a progressive in the sense that it will make a completed round with each pull. It does not produce the output of a fully progressive press as priming & case feeding is manual s it comes out of the box.

15meter
03-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Of your choices the Lee Cast single stage press - it is strong, versatile, and doesn't dump spent primers all over the floor!

I've cured 99% of the primers on the floor on my old Rockchuckers by putting a short piece of McDonald's drink straw in the ram, it channels the primers down and lets them drop neatly into the primer catcher.

I think the new Rockchucker drops the primers out the back of the ram into a redesigned primer catcher. Still like RCBS.

kmw1954
03-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Everyone has 2 cent so here is mine.

In your very first post you clearly state that you will be loading mostly 357mag., not rifle which in my mind makes a difference. I started long ago on a Single stage press and also was only loading for 357. While the single stage press was simple, safe and adequate it was slow and tedious for doing large amounts of pistil rounds. The because of life changes I retired from shooting for a long time.

A few years ago I found myself back to shooting which once again lead to reloading. From past experience I already knew I did not want to do it all over again with a single stage press. Today I have 4 presses; a single stage RCBS JR3, Lee 3 hole turret, Lee Pro1000 and a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. They all end up with the exact same finished product. Put 4 boxes of the same load on the shooting bench and I could not tell you which press they came off of! The difference is in the time it takes to produce those boxes.

I see absolutely no difference in use between a single stage press and any turret press other than a turret press one can mount all the dies at one time. They still only get used one at a time, this is not a multi station progressive press. So if you feel the need to batch load then do it. To me the decision between a single stage or a turret press is a non-issue. Just buy one of the mainstream presses and it will last for years regardless of Brand.

As to actually buying equipment I have to agree with a few others here and spend the time to look in the used market. As stated it takes a lot to wear one of these presses out and an abused one will show it with broken or missing pcs and covered in dirt or rust. 3 of the 4 presses I have were all purchased used and at a fraction of the cost of new. Also by looking used at times you will come across a bundle sale with the press and a bunch of other stuff included. Then if you find a nice used single stage press for cheap, buy it, use it and keep looking for that next used press, be it a turret or a full blown progressive.

Good luck and keep us informed of your results!

pertnear
03-13-2019, 12:18 PM
+1 Get a single stage. If you become an avid reloader you'll always find it handy, even if you buy the most expensive progressive.
+1 Check for used to save $$. It would be very hard to ever wear a press out. Besides, all major brands have ridiculously good warranties!

...enough said JIMHO!

Maine1
03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
lee hand press.
You will learn every step intimately, have to pay attention, and your entire kit will be mobile and compact.
Once you upgrade to a bench mounted press, your dies will transfer, and you will STILL have a mobile setup.

I learned on a used Dillon 550. made a lot of mistakes that could have been avoided if I had started with the hand press, or a simple single stage press.

1hole
03-13-2019, 12:50 PM
A lot of avid loaders tilt new reloaders towards what they wish they had done from the first. Thing is, only a few new guys will ever be picky or high volume loaders. IMHO, every new loader will be best served with basic tools and simple presses, i.e., single stages; I'd guess that 90% (plus) of loaders will never need a turret, progressive OR a high dollar press of any kind. That leaves us with single stage presses.

Now, which SS to suggest to noobs? Well, some happy advisors will tout their 30-50 year old RCBS Rock Chuckers that still do good work.; I'm sure they're correct in that. My own RC II, which was purchased in 1990, is as good (or bad, due to it's poor spent primer catching) as new but ... I've used a lot of presses over the last 50 years and don't think RC's have a single advantage over any other maker's heavy built single stage press, at any price. No matter how heavily anyone gets into reloading he will always have occasional need for a single stage so it's not money wasted.

IF I had to replace my trusty old RC II tomorrow I'd get a Lee Classic Cast and I suggest it to all new reloaders. Lee's massive cast iron CC is the best dollar value single stage press on the market. It has a much better auto-prime feed system, and spent primer catcher system than others AND it has a fully adjustable lever. New guy or old guy, what's not to love?

Wellll ... I don't care for any maker's current fad of a "quick twist" die holder system, including Lee's. Hand tightened dies can be quickly swapped and there's no need to wrench them down anyway. I'd pay extra just to have the plain ol' 7/8" x 14 threads in a press.

daloper
03-13-2019, 12:54 PM
First I will say Welcome to this madness. I use the Lee classic turret. I see you are in Michigan, what part? If you are just getting started maybe someone close by will give a hand showing you the ropes. I use the extra space for my powder cop die to check the powder throw with. Before I had that I would measure every charge before charging the case. I load for different hand gun calipers so the turrets are easy to change once they are set up. When I get home I will check around the bench to see if I have a spare Lee single stage press laying around. If I find one you can have it. I will pm you if I find it so that I can get an address to mail it to.

kmw1954
03-13-2019, 12:56 PM
One take on buying used.

I see 2 main reasons for used equipment. One being that the owner purchased the stuff, loaded for a while and either lost interest or found that reloading wasn't for them. The others are caused by upgrades and people need more space on the bench.

Conditor22
03-13-2019, 01:04 PM
the cheapest way to get into reloading is a: LEE PRECISION 90258 Classic Loader.357 Magnum $35.91 on Amazon

for press reloading:

Lee Reloading Press Md: 90045 29.99 https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Reloading-Press-Md-90045/dp/B002SF4X5I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QXURFVDB1VXZ&keywords=breech+lock+reloader+press&qid=1552495416&s=gateway&sprefix=Breech+Lock+Reloader+Press%2Caps%2C377&sr=8-1

LEE PRECISION 90100 Powder Measure Kit (dippers) 13.99 https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90100-Powder-Measure/dp/B000N8OIE8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=O63XVHD98KO9&keywords=lee+powder+measure&qid=1552495859&s=gateway&sprefix=lee+powde%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-7

Hornady Powder Funnel For 22-45 Caliber 5.99 https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Powder-Funnel-22-45-Caliber/dp/B000PD1XI0/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1F04A8RPSHPST&keywords=powder+funnel&qid=1552496036&s=gateway&sprefix=powder+funnel%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-8

LEE PRECISION .357 Magnum Carbide 3-Die Set (Silver) 34.99

then all you need is powder and projectiles.

Choosing from the 2 presses youre looking at I'd go with the classic turret press Kit 219.49 https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B008M5TSCG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lee+classic+turret+press&qid=1552496463&s=gateway&sr=8-1

everything to get started except the dies, powder and projectiles

onelight
03-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Lots of great information here ! One thing is for sure the equipment you buy if you shoot much at all
will pay for itself quickly I buy most of my bullets now mainly hi-tec coated and can load 38s for less than 5.00 a box when I run onto a pile of free lead I can cast that comes down to 1.50 to 2.00 a box . Any of the presses mentioned from the hand press or little $40. Lee c press to the most expensive Dillons will turn out good ammo and there are people here that use and enjoy them all.
Picking one and learning to use it is all part of the fun.

theangrydangler
03-13-2019, 03:31 PM
holy smokes! to be honest when i posted this thread i didnt expect this many replies so soon. i live in southern michigan in the "shotgun zone" which now allows straight walled pistol cartridges for hunting. and as others have stated budget is an important factor for me. to start things off i dont think i want to spend any more that $100-$150 on a press so that limits me to some of the more inexpensive companies like lee. also the used market is a good idea that i hadnt considered yet. i think with all this new input and with so many different opinions i am left a little more confused now than when i started. i think im going to have to do a little more research. i had initially ruled out a single stage due to the need to constantly change out dies for each step of the process simply for convenience however as some have stated i can see how it would be a helpful process to practice and master before moving on to something more complicated just to get the techniques down.

Tom W.
03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
My first press was a three hole turret from Lee. I was loading .357 with Lee dies. Easy to use! once the dies were adjusted I'd size/ deprime, turn the turret, Flare and add powder, turn again and seat the boolit. Did the same for my .45's.
Later I traded it for a Lee "O" press, and then got an RCBS Rockchucker. I still have that one.

When I got that first press it didn't have auto -indexing nor a 4 hole turret.

ulav8r
03-13-2019, 04:48 PM
I first started reloading with a Lee Loader in 308W. When I started loading for a German service revolver, I got a Lyman 310 tool with 44 Special dies. Shortend the sizing die to use with cut down 44 Special brass. A couple of years later, added a Rock Chucker. When my little brother started reloading he had a limited budget so we found a Texan C frame press for him. I inherited it a few years later. About 10 years ago I got a RCBS Reloader Special at a yard sale, for $50 including 3 sets of dies, a Lee hand primer, a 505 scale, a Uniflow measure and a few other small items.

When I first reloaded 380 ammo, I pulled out the Texan and set it up with a wedge block to hold the ram vertical so it was easier to seat bullets. I had just over 300 cases so did batch loading. Deprimed all the cases and then tumbled them. Next I sized all the cases, with a butter tub of cases on the left side of the press to be sized and another tub well behind it for the sized cases. Picked up a case and stick it in the shell holder. As you size it, grab another with your left hand. As soon as the ram is down pull out the sized case and insert the unsized case before putting the sized case in the rear tub. After about the fifth case you will be moving quickl and smoothly, getting a sized case every 5 seconds or so. I then set up my RCBS bench primer and started priming. Each primed case went back into a tub. Next operation was powder dispensing. I used a Lee dipper with a mid power load. I checked 10 charges on a scale, one throw at a time. I then threw 10 charges and checked the weight for an average, which agreed with with the single charges so I was ready to start charging cases. I charged qne case, seated a bullet and stepped ou the back door and fired that one. Thee case ejected and showed no signs of over pressure, so I loaded 3 or 4 more and fired them to check function. Finding no issues, I continued to load the rest. As I threw a powder charge, the cases went into a loading block for the first time. Once the loading block was full I visually checked all cases for light or heavy charges. I then seated bullets and placed the completed rounds in a tub. Each operation took about an hour, so it took about 5 days of spare time to load about 305 rounds of 380 ammo. Your 357 loads could be produced in about the same time. I used the dippers because my measures were packed away and did not want to take the time to find and adjust a measure.

A single stage press can be handy even if you do have a progressive. If you use any range pick ups or outsourced fired brass you may come across sticky primers. Had some 9mm brass purchased online about a year ago that were quite hard to remove. Using a Lee deprimer, the priming rod moved up several times and had to be reset. I tightened it down as hard as I dared and still had it happen again. The primer faces were coned out quite a bit. They would have been quite a pain on a progressive.

If you get into rifle loading, there are other situations that will benefit from having a strong single stage press, such as crimped primers or re-sizing from oversized chambers.

I would love to have a progressive press, but until I get a lot more free time for shooting a single stage press can easily keep up with my needs. Having only three SS presses is not to much of a restriction to put up with but I would acquire 1 or 2 more if they were cheap enough.

Spell checking does not work on my browser so I may have missed a typo or three.

Froogal
03-13-2019, 04:53 PM
holy smokes! to be honest when i posted this thread i didnt expect this many replies so soon. i live in southern michigan in the "shotgun zone" which now allows straight walled pistol cartridges for hunting. and as others have stated budget is an important factor for me. to start things off i dont think i want to spend any more that $100-$150 on a press so that limits me to some of the more inexpensive companies like lee. also the used market is a good idea that i hadnt considered yet. i think with all this new input and with so many different opinions i am left a little more confused now than when i started. i think im going to have to do a little more research. i had initially ruled out a single stage due to the need to constantly change out dies for each step of the process simply for convenience however as some have stated i can see how it would be a helpful process to practice and master before moving on to something more complicated just to get the techniques down.

I can do about 100 rounds of .357 in an hour or so with my Lee single stage. Start to finish. I could probably do more but my stiff joints start hollering at me. Once you get each die dialed in, all you need to do is change them. Of course you do need the breech-loc bushing for each die.

jeepvet
03-13-2019, 05:02 PM
I have a Lyman S-T turret press and an RCBS Rockchucker. I reload all of my pistol ammo on the Lyman using it as a single stage press. I like to run all of the cases through one operation at a time so that I do not loose track of what I am doing. I deprime and size all of the brass, then flare the cases and then use a bench mounted RCBS priming tool or handheld priming tool to seat the primers. With all of the brass in a block I then install the powder using an RCBS powder thrower. I use the powder thrower as a hand held unit and move from case to case in the block. On pistol ammo I weight every tenth charge. After powder dumping, I stand over the block and look into each case to be sure I did not miss one and that all of the powder is at about the same level. This step is very important to me because I have been known to miss a row of cases with the powder and that can cause lots of very bad problems. I then seat the bullets and finally use a factory crimp die. I set all of my dies in the turret before I begin, but only index after I have completed an operation on all of the case that I plan on reloading in that session.

I do not reload rifle ammo on the Lyman because the turret indexes on a spring and ball. There is just enough give in that system that the bullets do not all seat at the same depth due to slightly different neck tension on each case. This is not a problem with my pistol ammo, but it makes a considerable difference at 200 - 300 yards on my rifles. This is the reason I use the Rockchucker for my rifle ammo. I bought this press on craigslist about three years ago for about $40 used. It is not the prettiest press on the bench, but it works like a new one. I use the same reloading steps as for pistol and this helps make me slow down and do a much safer job. On rifle ammo I weigh each powder charge and trickle as needed.

I say all of this to get to my point about progressive presses. I would very much like to own a Dillon because it would make my reloading go much faster, but I do not have the money to shell out for a Cadillac either. I also think that, for me, a progressive would not be as safe because I would probably get complacent and not pay close enough attention to the process. And since I enjoy the monotony of reloading I can get by with my single stage presses and have a lot more fun at my bench.

So, to answer the OP's question, IMHO, I would recommend looking in Swappin' - Sellin' on this site, craigslist, fleabay, Gunbroker or gun shows for used equipment. I like the Rockchucker, an RCBS 505 scale, powder thrower, priming tool, powder trickler, funnel, loading block and lube pad or spray lube. I will also say that every time I have bought a used piece of RCBS equipment and something does not work correctly, I have just had to make a call. I explain that I bought it used and what is wrong. They always say to send it in and they will look at it. I pay the shipping to them and always volunteer to pay for repairs and return shipping but they have never charged me a penny. They have always fixed it under warranty even though I bought it used.

Almost all of my dies are Lee. Especially the pistol dies. I like the carbide sizers and all of their pistol sets have them, I believe. The rifle dies work just fine, even in my accuracy rifles and they are much less expensive. I also use factory crimp dies on everything I reload.

As mentioned before, there is no substitute for good reloading manuals. Most of them have very good info in the front half of the book about the basics of reloading and safety. Get two or three and read them all. Reloading for plinking and hunting is not rocket science, but done incorrectly it can be very dangerous to yourself and others.

And by the way, I have been reloading since the mid 80's.

Have fun, be safe and welcome to the addiction.

EDG
03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Choice of a press depends on what kind of personality you have and the kind of reloader you want to be.

If you are not detail oriented or you have zero interest in the process except to save money use anything you can learn to run without blowing yourself up. You really don't care much about reloading as an activity you just want cheap plentiful ammo. Maybe you can adapt to a progressive and maybe not.

If you can pay attention to details and develop and maintain good work habits you might be able to use a progressive of some sort.

I think starting with a single stage is a good way to ease into developing good work habits.
For anyone that has a wide ranging interest in reloading single stage will always be useful.

If you only want to go fast, fast, fast to get lots of cheap ammo you will probably not be too happy with a single stage. But you might blow yourself up due to focusing on output and not quality.
Reloading is not a fault tolerant activity. Speed is not always a good thing.

dverna
03-13-2019, 08:48 PM
How many rounds a week and how much time do you want to spend at it?

BTW, loaded pistol cartridges on a single stage tool for less than 500 rounds before I said....SCREW THIS!!

YMMV

troyboy
03-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Lee second edition or the Lyman 49 would be my reccomendation. Read cover to cover and then buy a press.

dragon813gt
03-13-2019, 09:48 PM
How many rounds a week and how much time do you want to spend at it?

BTW, loaded pistol cartridges on a single stage tool for less than 500 rounds before I said....SCREW THIS!!

YMMV

Those are the important questions. If there’s an inclination that you will load a good volume a 550 would be the place to start. People seem to forget that you can run one case at a time through a progressive. It’s how you’re going to set it up. And once comfortable w/ the operation you can use it at full capacity. You also fully control the speed. Just because it can load 400 rounds an hour doesn’t mean you have to run it at the speed all the time.

I’ve never loaded pistol rounds on a single stage. I’ve always had a Lee turret. I don’t want to think about batch loading pistol rounds let alone actually do it. I use a 550 for 223 because I shoot a good bit of it. The other rifle rounds are on a single stage but I’m not loading more than 50 at a time.

The answers to this question always amuse me. It varies on different forums. On a site like Brian Enos’s you will see a lot of people recommending some form of a Dillon. Guys there start out on a 1050. But they’re competitive shooters and need to load large volumes.

If I didn’t form cases I would have no need for a single stage. A LCT or 550 will do everything. Including load large rifle rounds like 375 H&H. Sizing is easier on a single stage but one isn’t needed. Not everyone “needs” one. Just wanted to point this out because it’s repeated all the time that you “need” a single stage.

T_McD
03-13-2019, 09:52 PM
I feel like the default is a single stage. Unless you know you will be shooting vastly more rounds than the average shooter, a single stage is a great way to get an education.

I have loaded thousands on a hand press, but I am cheap and don’t shoot a lot.

JBinMN
03-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Learn to walk before ya learned how to run?

Learn to ride a bicycle on a Ten or 15 speed, or learned to do it on a single speed without wrecking something or yourself?

Learn to drive in a Lamborghini or Cadillac, or start out with an old model, cheaper vehicle ( or mom or dads) until ya figure it out without wrecking something or yourself?

Learn to recognize numbers & letters, before trying to do math or write & read?

Learn to read "Dick & Jane" or "Dr. Seuss" books first, or War & Peace by Tolstoy?

Learn to shoot a single shot bolt action, or pump action shotgun, or learned to shoot a semi auto first ?

I could go on with a lot of examples... The point should be made with what was offered.

Of course there are those who can jump right into the more complicated operations, but it seems to me that it is better to learn the basics slowly & surely first, then work your way up to the more complicated operations after the basics are learned.

Like me, there are a lot of folks that have posted about learning the steps & nuances of reloading step by step before jumping into more complicated process, as well as a few of those who suggest that if it is quantity or speed of loading jump right into a progressive & the heck with any single stage.

I understand the thinking, but at the same time I have read a lot of topics/posts here about folks who have "jumped a Grade" like in school & then don't have a decent grasp of the "Basics" they would have LIKELY picked up on by learning their ABCs, before trying to read a university dissertation.

Here is a person thinking about getting a turret or a progressive, but asked about what is the, "best reloading press for beginners".

Well, like the bell curve of folks intelligence, from 0 - 200, with the average at 100. I am sure someone could figure out a bell curve for reloaders intelligence & abilities and do the same. The fact of the matter is, that the "average" & "beginner" is likely somewhere in between the worst & the best. Add in "interest level" and there is another scale to work with. Thus, it seems to me, as well as the majority so far, that one would likely be best off starting with a Single stage as a Beginner, then moving up if they choose to get faster return on their time, or be willing to take the chance of making mistakes that may not be found until later, and at the risk of really bad things happening to ones firearm(s), & body parts or worse.

Hey, I am not gonna argue that there is not those folks that can jump right in & start of with a progressive & do just fine, but at the same time, for every one that can do that, there is some person who is gonna struggle just learning how to properly reload on a single stage.

So, like others here, I tempered my post to reflect that person who may be on the end of the spectrum that needs a little more time to get the basics down, than jumping on something out of their capabilities & then be bummed out that they are not doing as well as the other folks.

They would likely find use for the single stage later on as they progressed in knowledge & ability anyway, so it would not be a waste, and if they have difficulty getting their more advanced turret or progressive going well enough to suit them, they still have SS to fall back on to still reload while they get their other one going the way they want...

Well, It is all gonna come down to the person who is the OP & if he/she is able to know his/her capabilities or not, or persons who read this topic later trying to figure out what they should do as a beginner.

I would rather be one who suggests something basic for them to use & to learn the basics of reloading, then to promote them to jump ahead of what may be their abilities & then they become dissatisfied thru frustration, or even worse, do something that causes harm or worse to them, their firearms, or even possibly others who are innocent of what happens when a mistake gets made.

So, Ya'll suit yourselves, but I am going to stick with the KISS method for most folks & stay with a SS press to start for most all folks & if others do not, Fine. I will sleep just fine knowing I said what I thought was the right thing to do for anyone who is starting out on the adventures of reloading rounds, regardless of their abilities or what others have to say.
;)

G'Luck! to the OP, & any beginners who might read this topic, regardless of what ya choose...

Be Safe!
:)

dverna
03-13-2019, 11:56 PM
To the OP. I am not going to get into a pissing match with other members. PM me with the quantity of ammunition you expect to reload and the number of calibers. Give me an idea of your general level of intelligence, your patience level, attention to details, and mechanical ability. Think about how much you can invest. There was a guy here with a tag line that said, “You can have something cheap, with quality or fast....pick two.” Reloading presses are like that.

I have owned and used equipment from Lee “whack-a-moles” to Dillon 1050’s. You want a press that fits your needs, abilities, and budget What I or Joe Average uses is immaterial.

EDG
03-14-2019, 01:14 PM
From project the management triangle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_management_triangle

https://rapidbi.com/time-quality-cost-you-can-have-any-two/

You can have something FAST & CHEAP but it won’t be good quality
You can have something CHEAP & GOOD QUALITY, but it won’t be quick or on time.
You can have something ON TIME and GOOD QUALITY but it wont be CHEAP

You always have 3 constraints to deal with

1.Cost
2. Quality
3. Schedule or time

You can only optimize one of these.
When you optimize one factor you begin to compromise the other 2.

When dealing with managers you are dealing with people that pretty much only care about comparing the big number to the little number. That is they want the most production at the least cost.
It is easy for them to assess schedules and cost because they are simple numbers.
Where they often go wrong is quality. Quality is often hard to quantify and managers tend to assume quality will always be acceptable. Unfortunately that is not true.

If the human being running the equipment is not up to the level of detail required the best loading tool on the planet will be of limited value.
The quality of the operator is more important than the quality of the tool.
Therefore if you are a beginner it is most important that you learn to reload first. You have to develop the proper attitude and habits to do the work right.
The machine does not do it right for you.

kmw1954
03-14-2019, 02:59 PM
To all the respondents I am asking this question because you have all given an opinion with your best intention.

Of all the new people that you have known that have started reloading and spent all the money for the equipment how many do you know lost interest or found that this just wasn't their "cup-o-tea" and quit after just a short time? I know of a couple and also one that I started to reach on my equipment and shortly lost all interest.

My impression is there must be more out there than we think or there wouldn't be as much equipment for sale on ebay, craigslist or facebook as there is. Which is also why I always suggest looking for used equipment. It can be had at fractions of the cost and then if you find this isn't for you then you are not out a bunch of cash.

Much of what we hear is all relative to one thing or another and many times what is relative to you has no importance to me. and am with dverna and have echoed in the past the same sentiment.

There are only 3 basic types of presses, Single stage, Turret and progressive. The press one choses should be relevant to what they intend to load not what someone else believe what they need. Not everyone can do what they need on a single stage press just as not everyone will ever need a progressive. Just as if I am only ever loading 9mm I certainly don't need a huge compound leverage single stage press just as if all I ever load is 30/06 or 340 Weatherby Mag I certainly wouldn't want a RCBS Partner, Lee C press or Dillon 1050.

JBinMN
03-14-2019, 04:09 PM
I do not see our opinions as "sides" to choose. (Nor do I see a "pissing match", BTW. ;) )
I just see these opinions here in this topic, as representing a group of folks who are offering what they think would be the best thing for a beginner to use for a press, to start out in reloading, and we just see things a bit differently.

No need for anyone to get uptight about it, IMO.

-------------^ Short comment^--------

Long comment below.... Skip it if ya like... I won't care.
;)

I, like others, am able to recognize that different folks have difference levels of abilities, and while some may be comfortable & take to a more complicated system quickly & easily, I also recognizes that there are those who are not so quick to learn or have the same level of abilities as others and may need to start out on a more "basic" system to learn & then move up into the more complicated systems with time & experience.

On a personal note, and to describe this with an example,.. Someone being a D.I. at one time will see what was just described very quickly with recruits & seeing that one almost has to take things to be shown & taught, step by step, from the basics ( "basic training" is what it is really called.), so that the slowest learner keeps up, even though many are quicker to understand the things they are being taught, & I imagine those who are other types of trainers/educators have also seen what I just described as well. Even other students of subjects they are being taught can recognize when some fellow students just are not able to keep up as well with others on occasion Some folks are not able to get a handle on knowledge as fast as others & that is why there are levels of understanding that comes with starting with the basic tasks & knowledge & working up.

An example of those steps are in the present educational system of going to 1st grade & then progressing up to university/college level or more in a system of steps(grades). Some folks only progress so far in those steps & some go all the way thru higher education. So are more advanced & can even skip those steps/grades, but with those skipping, they sometimes lose the actual hands on experience of doing something & getting a set of skills in levels. A physicist might be a graduate of higher learning but has bever actually ran a nuclear power plant. A beginning reloader may have the knowledge of how to reload just by reading a manual, but if they have not even started to learn the actual "doing" of it, they still have a ways to go.

Thus, I , like others, have recommended that a beginning reloader start with the simplest & most basic press & learn the "ins & outs" of setting dies & things to look for as the process from components to a finished round/cartridge is produced. In our work, and like in basic training ( at least in the USMC) , once the recruits have learned the nomenclature(parts/groups) of their particular firearm of their time/era/branch,( I.E. M1- M14 - M16A1 compared to M16A2, etc.), there is some time of "dry firing" to get used to their firearms & the different positions they would be liable to use the firearms in, to re-enforce their learning the concepts of sight alignment/sight picture, the effects of the environment & distance, etc., and "then" then go out to the firing line at the range & begin to actually shoot those firearms. All done in steps, and not just hand them the firearm & they go to shooting & learn as they go. If there is a malfunction, they should have been taught what to do, just like if there is a malfunction in their press or the operations involved with using one.

Then once those recruits have learned the basics of their issued firearm( like the SS), some can move on to more complicated systems such as SAWS, M60s & M2s, etc., but they still have the "basics" from their "basic training" to keep in mind even using those more complicated systems/platforms.

Of course there are those who are familiar with operating a firearm before they get trained on the basics & already know "how" to shoot, but they still need to learn the particular system & operation of the firearm they are given, and what to do if something malfunctions. Using a reloading press as a part of the gist of what I am saying, if a person has a progressive and sets it up , but does so in some way that it malfunctions due to their incorrectly setting it up, or if they are not well familiar with each process & what each die does in the system, they are going to likely be frustrated, as well as not getting the results they wanted to achieve.

But if they have starting using a simpler system like a SS, they would be able to ID any malfunction or problem "as they went" since they would be setting up the dies & learning the "basic" process in "steps", rather than jumping into a system that involves not only the basics, but a more complicated type of system that has its own set of nuances to learn & figure out so it works as desired.

Last point on a personal note... I have 2 sons & 2 grandsons. My oldest son recalls me reloading in the living room of our house when he was young and his brother was still in diapers & I was watching them while their Ma was away for a while. They watched me thru some years & picked up some of the things I was doing but showed little interest back then. Then later on, when I returned to reloading, they still had an understanding of what I was doing, even though they did not & do not reload themselves. Which brings me to my grandsons who are 9 & 11. They have actually reloading straight wall pistol cartridges & shotgun shells with my supervision. They were taught using a single stage on the bench, even though there was a turret right over on the other side of the bench. They saw how to set up each die & how the process worked in each step as well as some of the other processes you all know what we do to make a completed round. I did not show them how, at their "level of ability & understanding" how to use one of the turret presses since I wanted them to have the "basic understanding" of the different steps/processes that need to be done, no matter what type of press on uses before moving them on to the turret.( as compared to the SS) If I had a progressive I would have done the same thing and started them on the SS first.
Now the older of the two grandsons seems to be, so far anyway, the sharper of the two lads when it comes to mechanical operations. I am pretty sure that I could have taught him on the turret & he would still have understood the basics, since you still have to set up the dies, etc., even though there is more going on in the using the turret, as you have to decide if you want to complete a round before moving on the the next or "batch load" doing one step at a time.

Anyway, all I am trying to impress is that "different strokes for different folks", and that while some may be able to jump right into reloading & start out with a turret or even a progressive, many folks will be better off with a single stage & learn the basics on one of them before progressing to a faster & more complicated method. All dependent on the factors mentioned about what one wants for production speed & amount required for their style of shooting, their education/knowledge & ability level , as ell as economic factors, etc..

So, it still seems to me, and others, that suggesting to all beginners that starting with some "basic training" using a SS, would, in the broad spectrum of different folks & their knowledge & abilities, be able to cover that groups spectrum of knowledge & abilities to start with a "basic" setup before moving along to more complicated systems. If they are capable of more advanced systems right away, as well as afford them & it meets their needs, without issues, then Great! If not & they choose to move on to more complicated systems later, then so be it, and they will still have the SS to fall back on when needed, or simply move it on to another beginner reloader or someone who wants simply wants a SS for themselves.

Anyway, I have wore myself out typing this post & do not expect to comment here again. I was just offering up some more reasoning & examples to back up the way I see things regarding this topic of what beginners might start out with.
If the OP , or anyone else wants to start out with a more complicated system to begin with, that is Great too!

G'Luck! & be Safe!

T_McD
03-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Lots of sane responses on this thread

EDG
03-14-2019, 04:23 PM
I agree with your comments about people quitting reloading.
1. Many people are only interested in it for the cost savings. They have little or no interest in reloading for enjoyment.
2. Many people will not commit the money to something they cannot use immediately. Buying tools means making an investment that might take several years to break even. As a result they would prefer to not shoot or go buy a box of ammo to shoot right now.
3. I have a large number of reloading tools and dies collected over 50 years of reloading. At least 90% of it was bought used. I also have a large quantity of bullets and brass bought at give away prices from guys getting out of reloading.
4. Many people are also unwilling to devote time to reloading. They want it to be like gassing up your car. It is more like changing a set of plugs. You have to spend time and you have to think about what you are doing. It is not a brainless automatic process that can be completed in 15 minutes.

Reloading goes in cycles often related to politics. Before Bill Clinton almost everything was plentiful.
Then we had a Clinton shortage. Then he left office and many of the not very committed reloaders sold their stuff and I bought a lot of it until Obama came along and caused more shortages.

Part of the problem is expecting new loaders to understand reloading before they learn to reload. They can't. They have no idea what their interests will be in 5 years or 40 years. People get bored and try something new all the time.

To all the respondents I am asking this question because you have all given an opinion with your best intention.

Of all the new people that you have known that have started reloading and spent all the money for the equipment how many do you know lost interest or found that this just wasn't their "cup-o-tea" and quit after just a short time? I know of a couple and also one that I started to reach on my equipment and shortly lost all interest.

My impression is there must be more out there than we think or there wouldn't be as much equipment for sale on ebay, craigslist or facebook as there is. Which is also why I always suggest looking for used equipment. It can be had at fractions of the cost and then if you find this isn't for you then you are not out a bunch of cash.

Much of what we hear is all relative to one thing or another and many times what is relative to you has no importance to me. and am with dverna and have echoed in the past the same sentiment.

One of the pitfalls of your argument is the expectation of knowing what kind of reloading you will be doing and the kind of reloader you are. If you have never reloaded you are only guessing because you have zero experience.
You have no idea how much your interests will change, grow, expand or contract over the next 15 to 40 years.

There are only 3 basic types of presses, Single stage, Turret and progressive. The press one choses should be relevant to what they intend to load not what someone else believe what they need. Not everyone can do what they need on a single stage press just as not everyone will ever need a progressive. Just as if I am only ever loading 9mm I certainly don't need a huge compound leverage single stage press just as if all I ever load is 30/06 or 340 Weatherby Mag I certainly wouldn't want a RCBS Partner, Lee C press or Dillon 1050.

kmw1954
03-14-2019, 05:54 PM
I keep stressing that anyone looking to start reloading needs to take the time and research first. There is absolutely no reason these days not to. I belong to 5 different forums and each one has a reloading sub-forum on it. I am also pretty sure every other gun forum does as well. Then of course there is our favorite Youtube with hours and hours of anything one could imagine looking for. Some or it is very well done while others are a complete waste of time and misinformation. Just like some forums. . Take the time and research them all. The advantage to the forums is one can always ask questions and just like this one, one will be provided with many different outlooks on the same question. But again that is where the research and knowledge begin to pay off.

I have also stated a number of times the importance of manuals and it never hurts to get at least a couple of them. They all pretty much contain the same information, the difference being is the way they are written and interpreted. The same thing stated two different ways can bring differing results.

As with any teaching it is only as good as the material provided and how that material is absorbed by the one learning. For instance, I was born with a great understanding of anything mechanical but I cannot read music to save my life. I have a great grasp of mathematics but don't ask me to do abstract algebra.

Lastly with learning anything I believe one must have a basic understanding of their own limitations, their own personal interests, their physical abilities and which way they learn best. Cannot teach me to eat with a fork if I'm not hungry!

onelight
03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
I totally agree with all that. JBinMN has said . I just get stuck on the idea that LCT is a single stage with the index rod removed , although you don’t get all the die adjusting practice ;) I don’t find progressive presses relaxing to load on they require to much focus watching listening and feeling and sorting all the stages out if there’s a hiccup in the process.
But it is hard to remember what it was like when I started 50 years ago.:p

dragon813gt
03-14-2019, 06:25 PM
The problem w/ new reloaders and YouTube videos is they don’t know what’s good information and what’s bad. It’s a case of you don’t know what you don’t know. The same can be said for forums to an extent. I will point to annealing. It’s based in scientific fact around time and temperature. Yet you will see people constantly posting misinformation about it.

A new reloader should buy a reloading manual, or three, and read them multiple times. Each one will give you the basics and then some. I always suggest Lee’s. Richard is of course trying to sell his product but the basics are there in an easy to understand format. And since a lot of new reloaders use Lee equipment it’s a no brainer to get the manual. Bonus is it has a lot of load information in it. It’s not in a “recipe” fashion but it’s data non the less.

New reloaders should trust published manuals for the basics. And view forums and YouTube as opinions. There’s obviously good in both but it takes knowledge of the subject to know it when you see it.

kmw1954
03-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Difference between 1980, when I first started, and now is that there are these things like the internet with forums, videos and groups whereas back then we had the manuals, magazine articles, friends and clubs. Well there weren't a lot of clubs around here back then and one better really trust their "friend" that they are teaching them right or giving them correct information.

Forums such as this I have found that if you post misleading or unsafe info you pretty much hear about it in a hurry. Videos also are helpful if taken for what they are. Not just the reloading or shooting videos either. I've watched everything from how to use a spray gun to rebuilding the carbs on my outboard. I've even watched videos on powder coating cast bullets! I found it pretty easy to sort the meaningful ones from the junk. Which ones know what they are talking about and which ones are blowing smoke.

I'm also pretty sure we have completely bored the OP by now.

Gus Youmans
03-14-2019, 07:12 PM
My recommendation for a beginner who does not need the strength of a heavy single stage press would be a Lee four hole turret press. There is no difference in setting up the dies on a turret than setting up dies on a single stage press except that you do all the set up on a turret press in the beginning of the process instead of setting up the next die before you begin the next step in the reloading process. On a single stage press you complete one step on all the cartridge cases before changing dies, whereas with a turret press, you complete all the steps on one cartridge before changing over to the next case. The single stage press and the turret press are alike in that only one action is performed on one case each time the handle is pulled. Contrary to what many reloaders believe, not everyone needs a heavy single stage press because a turret press will do nicely when loading standard rifle cartridges up to and including cartridges in .308 and 30-06 families. If the Lee turret press needs to be used as a single stage press it only takes a few seconds to remove the advancing mechanism.

Extra turrets are relatively cheap and allow the user to set up turrets for multiple calibers, enabling cartridge changeover without changing die settings unless a different powder charge or bullet will be used. Turret changeover from one cartridge to another takes less than 30 seconds if the turrets already have powder measures. If powder measures have to be switched it only takes a few minutes longer because the expander/powder measure die can be left in place and does not require adjustment when being moved from one turret to another.

I own or have owned most of the tools recommended by previous posters in this thread including an original Lee loader, RCBS Rockchucker, Lee hand press, and several other single stage presses. Even though most of my loading these days is done on either a Dillon 550 or Hornady LnL progressive, one of the last tools that will leave my reloading bench is the Lee four hole turret press because of its simplicity and versatility.

Gus Youmans

dragon813gt
03-14-2019, 07:37 PM
one of the last tools that will leave my reloading bench is the Lee four hole turret press because of its simplicity and versatility.

You and me both. It will most likely be the last one because I can do everything on it, reloading wise. If I didn’t move dies between presses every turret would be setup and ready to load on.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4422/36458639792_430bee4e09_b.jpg

rbuck351
03-14-2019, 08:06 PM
I have a Star progressive loader as well as a bunch of other presses. Is there anyone here that would recommend a newbe starting on one of those? I would not. I also have 3 of the Lee Pro 1000s. I have made them work but would never recommend one of those for a newbe. Maybe a Dillon 550b but only if I knew they were going to treat it like a SS until they had loaded a few hundred rounds with it. Get a used SS and sell it for what you have in it when you move up if you can't think of a reason to keep it. I have 14 or 15 presses from SS to full progressive not counting 5 or 6 shotgun presses. So he is only going to load 357, right. I was only going to load 38spl when I started. I now load for 30+ metallic and 4 shotgun guages. Start simple, buy used and you will shortly be hooked or quit and can recoup most if not all of your investment.

zymguy
03-14-2019, 10:08 PM
It’s worth mentioning I ( and some others )enjoy the time I (&others ) spend reloading, I can afford the time to . The ability to make more rounds more quickly is not desired, again I can afford the time and enjoy the process

And as to why so many responses, it’s a topic we ALL share . We were all beginners once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbo333
03-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Yes today we have YouTube. Back in the 60's and early 70's it wasn't that hard to find smaller mom and pop gun stores that sold powder, bullets and had almost every kind of press set up on display so you had hands on experience to help you decide. Even then my first was a Lee reloader in 6mm Rem that you used a plastic hammer with. No lever! Cheap. Later moved on to a RCBS Special something, then a Lyman Orange Crusher, but it came painted black. Still my workhorse. Always catches the spent primer. Plenty beefy, don't think it could ever wear out. Just put a light in it. Have had other Lees too. If you ever plan on loading bottleneck rifle shells, my advise is to stay away from a Lee turret press. Goodnight.

15meter
03-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Some where in this I believe the OP mentioned not being adverse to used. Start with Craigslist--there are usually a number of reloading items for sale. Do several searches--reloading, reloader, Mec, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Lee, Dillon--these will get you a number of hits usually. Some times you see good prices, some time I think the people listing this stuff were smoking crack when they listed.

Troll gun clubs in the area, there are usually postings of stuff for sale. Also be pro-active, posted wanted to buy listings at the local gun clubs. There is a fair amount of reloading stuff sitting in guy's garage and they are too lazy to make a sign up to sell it. If they think they have a buyer they may decide it is time to move the stuff.

Over the decades I have bought and sold a considerable amount of reloading gear--to the point dollar wise I have all my reloading equipment for free and am a little ahead cash wise. It's taken a bit of horse trading and a fair amount of luck, a Dillon 550 for $100, and a MEC 9000 for $100 are a once a decade kind of buy. But I have accumulated 7 MEC progressives 410, 28, 20, 16 and 2 12 gauges plus a P-W 800B, two RCBS Rockchuckers, Lyman Turret, Dillon Square Deal B and a RL550.
RCBS lubrisizer with dies for the ~50 different calibers I load for, RCBS pot, with a bunch of molds. 2 Redding powder measures plus all the assorted scales, calipers trimmers case polishers and case prep tools.

Luckily I built a 24x32 workshop for myself 30+ years ago, it was the best thing I did. That allowed me the space to use and maintain the hobby stuff plus the cars/lawn home stuff.

Don't be afraid to buy basic/single stage type stuff when you are learning, there is a market for your used stuff for the next beginner coming along.
I still use the Rockchucker ALOT. I do a lot of small lot kind of stuff, 20-60 rounds at a time and setting up a progressive just doesn't make sense. There are also cartridges I load that I scale every powder charge, when you are trying to hit the 10 ring on the target that is less than an 1" dia. at 300 yards you scale each and every charge. Same way when you are shooting a buddy's $20,000 Rigby double rifle you make sure the cartridge is absolutely spot on--not the best for a progressive.

jetinteriorguy
03-16-2019, 08:04 AM
I will offer my opinion based on my experience. You can do what you need with the Lee Classic cast turret press. You could start out using it like a single stage by removing the indexing rod until you feel confident in learning the basics. Once you have them down then put the indexing Rod back in and load away. This press will last a lifetime and is very simple and easy to operate. If at some point you get into the long range type rifle stuff, then I would add a good quality single stage press like a Rock Chucker or something along that line. This is just my opinion based on my over 30 years of handloading, and I by no means know everything but I am learning.

jmort
03-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Agree with the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press as a first press. I remove the plastic auto-index part and use it as a manual turret. If you have the $$$ a Dillion 550 works real good. I do not agree with the notion that you need to start with a single stage but most everyone has a single stage even if they have three 1050s for good reason. The Rock Chucker or the Lee Precision Classic cast works well in this capacity.

onelight
03-16-2019, 09:10 AM
For me the main advantage of Lee classic turret for a beginner is that it is a press to keep.... even if you decide you need a heavyweight single stage or a top of the line progressive I don’t know of any other press that can load 50 rounds in less than 15 minutes and is so easy and cheap to keep adjusted for multiple calibers . I have 3 other presses the turret is not the strongest or the fastest but for a guy that shoots 100 to 200 rounds a week and loads for many calibers, I load for 10 regularly mostly handgun.If a tornado gets them all the LCT will be the first one I replace , it is my work truck.

richhodg66
03-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Another vote for a Rockchucker or similar. It's what I started on and what I still mostly use.

Go to a good gun show, was at the Chisolm Trail show in Wichita about a week ago, quite a few great old single stage presses with lots of life in them for less than a new Lee and better than a new Lee.

Two Barrels
03-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Start with a single stage. As long as it is a quality press, you will always have it and find a use for it even if you step up to a progressive press later. Even old used RCBS and Lyman presses still have a long life ahead of them if reasonably well cared for.

I first learned to load shotshells with a MEC 600Jr before getting into metallic cartridge loading. I wanted to load for pistols and revolvers and bought a Hornady LnL AP. It does the job once you have an established load. For trying small lots of different loads, I wanted a single stage and bought a RockChucker last fall. It sees a lot of use.

onelight
03-16-2019, 10:21 AM
My Lyman orange crusher will defiantly outlast my lee...It sets in the back waiting for me to find a reason to use it. :p it has been neglected for a few years.

salpal48
03-16-2019, 10:35 AM
I hear "Whats The best " all the time. instead of Following the pack or popular. The question should be "What fills My Needs @ the present time ". What do i need to enjoy my Hobby then as thing progess . see what else
learn to be independent and make your Decision from your own knowledge

dverna
03-16-2019, 07:11 PM
JB, it becomes a "pissing contest" because so very few ask the important questions before offering an opinion. They try to justify what they use even it is a poor choice.

I HATE reloading but do it to get better loads and save money. I have two Dillon 1050's, two 550's, RC, Co-Ax, PW 800+ with autodrive, and two PW 375's. And I have downsized from what I used to have. I have no axe to grind and nothing to justify.

The OP has not responded to my last post offering help if he would PM me some important factors he should consider in selecting equipment. It kind of reminds me of the Jack Nicholson line in one of his moves..."You can't handle the truth".

BTW, whoever suggested getting used equipment made a good suggestion. If someone is not going to stick with it, or buys the wrong equipment, there is little or no loss. If the OP is still following, take that advice. Good Luck!!!

rbstern
03-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Also agree the Lee Classic Turret is an excellent press to start with, and gives some room for growth. It's a quality piece of equipment, budget friendly, easy to use and versatile. Hard combo of traits to beat.

fn1889m
03-17-2019, 12:39 PM
What I learned from this thread, which looks like it’s about over, is that the very thing that makes a single stage press a pain in the rear is the same thing that makes a good first press. A single stage press forces you to repeat each function every time you set up a die, it forces you to look at your mistakes one at a time when you remove them by hand, and it forces you to go through this process over and over and over. That’s what I hated about it - the repetitive requirement that you change out the dies every time. It’s the most inefficient reloading system ever designed except for the one with the Lee handheld die and hammer. But that’s also its advantage. It forces you to learn how to set up dies through repetition, and makes you handle your mistakes one at a time so they are immediately noticeable, and lack of quality is self evident.

I’ve only been reloading for about six years. But I learned on a RC. I finally “upgraded” to a Lyman TMag2 turret presswhen they went on sale due to the new model. I only use it for pistol. But I do not think I would be where I am now if I did not go through the repetition which a SS press requires. It’s the learning curve, not the press. We forget about that. But it’s the crushed cases that save my *** latter.

I still think a single stage press is the best press to learn on. It’s not the best press. It won’t be your last. It’s the best teaching tool for a guy alone in his garage trying to figure out from books how to reload. This is the same principle that says it’s good to weigh and measure every load when you’re starting out. Yes, it’s slower than heck, but that’s the point. It forces repetition and it gives you an intuitive feel for tolerances in your equipment.

I am an equipment *****. I like tools. But I’m convinced that a good cast iron or a cast steel press from any of the major brands will work well and last a lifetime. I have an RC, but I’m sure I would be just as well served with a Lyman, Lee, or green or red or orange or gray cast iron SS press. None are perfect but they all seem good enough. (Which sums up my thoughts on the Lyman turret press as well.) The only advice I would give myself, if I could go back in time, would be to pay more attention to the quality of dies. As I upgrade my dies, I look at the wasted money on the shelf. But even Lee is good enough. It’s not about the dies either.

rbuck351
03-17-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm with fn1889m on this. Anything that speeds up the process for a beginner also increases the possibility of a nasty oops. Buy used and recoup IF you won't ever need a SS again.

kmw1954
03-17-2019, 03:36 PM
A single stage press forces you to repeat each function every time you set up a die, it forces you to look at your mistakes one at a time when you remove them by hand, and it forces you to go through this process over and over and over. .

This is very true and instills good habits. At the same time I am transitioning from a Lee Pro1000 progressive press that has 3 positions to a Auto Beech Lock Pro progressive press that has four positions and in the 3rd position I have a tube type bullet feeder installed. One of the things I am finding is that the habits I built using with the old press have forced me to a new set of movements and adjustments to the way I operate this press. A change of habits as it were. So once again I have to build a new set of habits and movements. All of which has caused me to slow down and pay closer attention to each step, each position, each tool. Not quite as seamless as some may think moving from one press to the other.

robg
03-18-2019, 02:58 PM
When you start keep it simple you can always upgrade your equipment when you have some experience. Better to catch an error in a few cartridges than several hundred!

abunaitoo
03-18-2019, 03:53 PM
First time trying reloading?????
Start with a single stage bench press.
If first time, look for the cheapest press you can find.
Gunshow in your area???
Better yet, borrow one if you can.

I've met a few people that wanted to start reloading, bought new expensive stuff, only to learn that it's not for them.
Sold it for a big loss, or have it rusting away someplace.

The cheap LEE press, is not all that cheap anymore. But can be found used at shows sometimes.
I have four of them. Had more, but sold or gave them away to guys learning reloading.
They come in handy for depriming, powder drops, flaring the necks, and other things.
Not real heavy duty, but for pistol, it's good enough.

Learn on it, then you'll get a better idea on what works for you.
A turret would be the next choice.
Load faster, but a little more chance of mistakes.
Progressive is a whole new learning curve.
I never recommend a progressive for first timers.
To much to go wrong.

Prairie Cowboy
03-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Personally, I also agree with getting a single stage press first. Remember that old saying: "It's not a race."
A single stage press will always be useful, and if it's cast iron, it will never wear out.
Personally, I enjoy performing each stage of reloading one step at a time, and changing a die only takes a minute. Quick change dies make little sense to me.
Using a turret press still requires a separate press stroke for each operation, although case handling is reduced a bit.
And, with a press-mounted powder measure activated on the mouth belling stroke, a little more time is saved.
Really, it all depends on how many rounds a week that you intend to reload.
While some people run through 500 rounds a week, others may only visit the range once or twice a month and go through 400 rounds or less per month.
The RCBS Rock Chucker is constantly recommended, and it's a very common and very good press.
Not often mentioned is the Redding Big Boss 2 press, which is in my opinion a better one. I own one and really like it.
That's my recommendation.
I have owned and used an RCBS JR3 since 1973, and it will outlive me, as will the Redding.

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2019, 12:14 AM
I love it when this topic comes up. Everybody piles on with their idea of the best single stage press, and I could do the same as I consider my BPM Hand Press to be the best there is.

However,,, I started in 1971 with a Lee Loader in .243 which I still have. A few years later after I got out of the USAF I got a .44 mag pistol and a Lee loader for it as well. Gave that one away like an idiot cuz the guy I gave it to just let a friend steal his gun and the tool as well.

If a guy is just wanting to get into reloading, he doesn't know if he'll want to stick with it or not. A Lee Loader will load good quality ammo, certainly as good as anything he'd make with a Single stage press with all the fixin's. But the Lee Loader will teach what the steps are in the simplest way possible, and understanding the fundamentals is the basis for all future trips into reloading. A guy can get up and running $35 and be very well equipped for $100. This is within the reach of just about any shooter.

Also the real up side is if he decides he doesn't want to pursue the hobby he can easily get his money back by selling the tool. Of all Reloading Tools the Lee Loader is by far the easiest to resell.

Don't forget that a Lee Loader can, with practice, load just as fast as a single stage press, and the finished ammo will be as good or better than anything you can make with any single stage press.

So that's my .02 and I am sticking to it.

Randy

David2011
03-23-2019, 01:43 AM
The Dillon 550 is a pseudo progressive / turret since you must manually index them. It is a time tested & proven design.

While it is a time tested and proven design it is not at all a turret. A turret press holds a single cartridge and does a single operation on it at a time. The dies are moved into place over the single cartridge so it can be loaded without being removed from the press.

The Dillon 550 has a rotating shellholder that holds four cartridges at a time and puts a cartridge under each die. Three or 4 separate operations are done on those cartridges simultaneously. Once all the positions are full a loaded round is produced with every stroke of the lever. It has nothing to do with auto or manual indexing. I have heard of people loading a single round at a time using the multiple positions before starting the next round but that is not how the machine was designed to be used.

Three44s
03-23-2019, 04:48 AM
A single stage press is the simplest press to start with. The Lee hand dies may be the cheapest non press system per one cartridge to hand load but you have to drive the just sized case back out of it. With a press you just reverse the direction of the handle to extract the casing, much better in my opinion.

There are very few handloaders that have moved on to turrets or progressive presses that do not have a single stage for back up or one off jobs. I spent my first 30+ years behind a RCBS Jr. press before I ventured into a Lee Classic Cast turret. I have a Hornady LNL progressive but it mostly sits, it’s more for political insurance!

A Redding Boss is currently my mainstay (compound single stage).

There are many folks that got their feet wet in handloading only to give it up and let their equipment gather dust, why have a large investment go to waste? Why confound a beginner loader with more complex machinery too soon that might just be the final straw in alienating them in the first place?

Three44s

mortyg
03-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Like many here I started out with a 310. It was "the" learning experience. Slow but thorough. You learn by doing and feeling the whole process. Moved on to an RCBS JR3 1974 which I still have and use. Though I have a few larger presses and a 1050 NIB (political insurance, well put 444). It is the single stage presses that do the work. I just line them up and use them in line, alot of shellholders.

Barr
03-25-2019, 02:50 AM
I actually recommend a Lee Hand Press. Its not the very best press but they can get a taste of reloading for $50 and it can always be used later for simple case prep or field loading.

1hole
03-25-2019, 07:57 PM
First, Lee's tools are NOT cheep. They ARE less expensive tools than other brands because Lee's designs put their main effort is on the functional things that matter to low volume loaders, not the meaningless fluffy stuff that enthralls so many people. And no current "O" type single stage press is any stronger or better built than Lee's Classic Cast.

Next, those of us who are avid reloaders get far more wrapped up in what we need than maybe 95% of the rest of the world needs. So, unhappily, new aspiring new loaders usually get lot's of well meaning "advice" from people who's needs are far removed from what the vast majority of noobs will ever need. I prefer to use my experience to guide tentative noobs into wise choices for their needs, not my choices for my needs.

Last, anyone who gets infatuated with any brand of anything simply has too little experience with other brands. Fact is, they all work and any press, dies, etc. that look nearly the same will perform exactly the same if they are properly used.

Dies matter but NO brand has any better average claim to "higher" precision than others. It's our dies that make our ammo, presses are very simple tools made to push cases and bullets into and out of the dies. ALL of our die makers adhere to SAAMI specifications and that's a dimensional range, not a specific dimension. I have found as much tolerance variation between individual dies of the same brand as between brands and that includes Lee's. And every other brand but Dillon; that lack is by chance, not choice.

NOTE: Lee's little hand press is designed for a narrow range of users, it's particularly good for the range for those willing to put up with its limits but it's too clumsy to be a good choice for noobs.

However, Lee has a little compound linkage single stage, their "Reloader", selling at the same price and with the same basic design as the hand press but it's bench mounted so it's MUCH more user friendly. And, while the small hand and Reloader's are obviously not chunks of cast iron, both are much stronger than their sometimes vocal critics seem to think. I have both of the little Lee's and like them both for what they are but they are not my prime presses. However, they both work and I've had no problem FL sizing properly lubed cases as large as .300 mag with them.

waco
03-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Just my two cents but I think it's best for a new reloader to learn on a single stage press. So much easier to wrap your head around doing one thing at a time. You can always upgrade to a progressive down the road. You will want a good SS press on your bench anyway.

Cry once, buy once. Get an RCBS RockChucker and be done with it. Only SS press you'll ever have to buy.

EDG
03-27-2019, 04:58 AM
>>ALL of our die makers adhere to SAAMI specifications and that's a dimensional range, not a specific dimension. <<
This is not really true. First to make things really clear there are no SAAMI standards for dies. There are only SAAMI standards for ammunition and for chambers.

If you measure the shoulder location to the head of a lot of dies you will find a few brands cheat toward the long side and actually make the dies about .002 too long. This in turn means that the cases come out of the dies a little long even when the FL die is set down hard against the shell holder. But then few rifles are manufactured right on the lower limit of head space so everything still works and probably works better due to the fudge factor in the die.

gbehrman
03-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Start with a Rockchucker is the one you will always have a use for even if you upgrade later. There is a lot to learn as has been said, but it is easier to get it right with a Rockchucker

RogerDat
03-27-2019, 06:02 PM
The Lee Classic Turret with a 10 second removal of the square indexing rod becomes a single stage press. With turret disks to hold the dies in correct adjustment for quick drop in of the turret disk with the dies required. Saves you set up time every time you reload.

Later as proficiency grows one can add an on the die powder dispenser, drop that auto indexing rod you removed for single stage operation back in and crank out pistol rounds in larger volumes.

I have used the LCT to reform 30-06 brass to 8mm mauser so I consider it a solid and sturdy piece of equipment. It can provide faster output using the auto indexing rod to auto rotate the dies allowing it to be used for producing larger quantities of loaded ammo for auto loading rifles, or pistols, as well as large brass one at a time for bolt action rifles etc.

LCT has a good selection of additional devices for powder dispensing on the press and the primer dispenser for on the press has been very useful and I find it easy to use.

I also keep assorted "special" dies on a turret disk. Such as those for universal depriming, forming 30-06 to other calibers, and a tapered expander to round the mouths of brass that was crushed using the expander.

The function of a single stage while learning, the productivity of a turret later when skills have grown in a solid piece of equipment at a good price.

onelight
03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
The Lee Classic Turret with a 10 second removal of the square indexing rod becomes a single stage press. With turret disks to hold the dies in correct adjustment for quick drop in of the turret disk with the dies required. Saves you set up time every time you reload.

Later as proficiency grows one can add an on the die powder dispenser, drop that auto indexing rod you removed for single stage operation back in and crank out pistol rounds in larger volumes.

I have used the LCT to reform 30-06 brass to 8mm mauser so I consider it a solid and sturdy piece of equipment. It can provide faster output using the auto indexing rod to auto rotate the dies allowing it to be used for producing larger quantities of loaded ammo for auto loading rifles, or pistols, as well as large brass one at a time for bolt action rifles etc.

LCT has a good selection of additional devices for powder dispensing on the press and the primer dispenser for on the press has been very useful and I find it easy to use.

I also keep assorted "special" dies on a turret disk. Such as those for universal depriming, forming 30-06 to other calibers, and a tapered expander to round the mouths of brass that was crushed using the expander.

The function of a single stage while learning, the productivity of a turret later when skills have grown in a solid piece of equipment at a good price.

What he said..:p and it has the cleanest depriming system of any press I have used ,
and cost less than many popular single station pressses. I have 2 single stage presses
that get no use.
If you are not making bullets or reforming big cases it is in a class of its own for low volume loading and simple operation...
now the secret is out everybody knows I like it.:p

1hole
03-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Cry once, buy once. Get an RCBS RockChucker and be done with it. Only SS press you'll ever have to buy.

I agree that no one who takes care of a Chucker is very unlikely to ever need another. I got my RC II about 1992 and it's still as good as new - or better because it is now smooth as an oiled baby's butt.

But - and, no offense intended, I just have to ask this - "How is a RC in anyway better than a big 'O' press from Lee, Redding, Hornady?"

Fact is, IF I had to replace my old RC II tomorrow I'd get a Lee Classic Cast, not for the cost but because I feel it is as strong as any and it has the best user features of any "O" press on the market.

EDG: Good catch. You are correct that SAAMI specs only apply to chamber and FL sizer internals, not the die's outside features/dimensions nor anything at all about seaters. That was what I meant but was a bit too tired when I wrote to see how the way I put it was misleading.

Help me! Over the last 50 years I've measured chamber casts for 40+ FL dies and maybe half that many chambers but I've never measured headspace (length) because I can't figure out how to do it. HOW do you measure dies/chambers leaning 2 thou, more or less, by brand?

EDG
03-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Help me! Over the last 50 years I've measured chamber casts for 40+ FL dies and maybe half that many chambers but I've never measured headspace (length) because I can't figure out how to do it. HOW do you measure dies/chambers leaning 2 thou, more or less, by brand?[/QUOTE]

There are 2 ways to measure the length of a die interior.

1. Most expensive- use a gunsmith headspace gauge. The length of the gauge is known. Then measure how far it protrudes out of the die.
More than .125 protrusion means the die is short by the difference.
Less than .125 protrusion means the die is long by the difference.
I have used this method to double check method 2 below.

2. Take a case with the same size or slightly smaller head diameter but longer shoulder length.
Example a .30-06 case can be used for 8x57, 7X57 or even 6.5X55.
Pick out a shell holder that is exactly .125 deep.
Remove ecpander assy from FL sizer die.
Size your longer case with the shell holder hard against the bottom of the die. Rotate the cdie.and size again. Relube the case and size several more times slowly. Let the case dwell at the top of each ram stroke for about 4 or 5 seconds. After you are satisfied the case shoulder cannot be pushed back any more remove your case.
Use a Hornady case gage attached to your calipers.
Pick out the correct bushing.
Use a gun smith headspace gage for that caliber and shoulder angle.
Use the gage to set the calipers so they read the same value as the gage length.
Measure your FL sized case.
Your case will be the same length as the die.
Your case will be equal to the shortest possible length that can be produced by your die.

frkelly74
03-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Well it looks like everyone has chimed in already and I did not read all the posts...... But if you are near Kalamazoo, go to On Target out on West Main west of the 131 expressway. They have used RCBS and other presses piled up on the floor and you can probably get a good buy on one. Used dies also and all kinds of components, some cheap, some not. Rock Chuckers last "forever" .

44magLeo
03-28-2019, 12:02 PM
I am in the single stage press group.
With a bit of shopping around you can fine a good used press for not a lot of cash.
Same with dies and other tooling.
A reloading manual should be the first thing to get. You can find them used to.
A press, dies, and a set of Lee powder scoops can get you started. Stick with starting to mid loads and you will be fine.
Once you get the basics down you will find you either don't like loading or you do. If you do then expanding on your tooling is the next step.
Adding a powder scale, powder measure and some measuring tools, dial caliper and 0-1" micrometer. One with a digital readout on it, adding things like case trimmer, bullet pullers ect, ect.
You can go as far as your income allows.
Leo

1hole
03-28-2019, 12:55 PM
.... 1. Most expensive- use a gunsmith headspace gauge. The length of the gauge is known. Then measure how far it protrudes out of the die.
More than .125 protrusion means the die is short by the difference.
Less than .125 protrusion means the die is long by the difference.

Okay, I see your principle. But I lack a micrometer depth gage and doubt my ability to consistently take that measurement to an accuracy of +/- 2 thou with my 6" caliper. Given that shell holder depths vary that much, and so did the one go/no-go headspace gage set I ever tried, I still wouldn't have much faith in the precise accuracy of that method in my hands.

Since, IMHO, the major advantage of handloading is our opportunity to actually make custom ammo. We - as a group - have to live with whatever diameters our dies may have but we have near total control over our sized case length (i.e., "headspace") so I do that.

Both the RCBS "Precision Case Mic" and Hornady's kit that uses our calipers allow us to precisely make any headspace length in our ammo we wish. So, for decades, I've not given a care about what length my FL sizers (or rifle chambers) actually are because I'm going to make ammo that properly fits my individual chambers anyway.

I've never had good sporting rifle accuracy with crush fit or neck sized ammo. Therefore, given the normal variations in individual case springback, I bump size to insure my longest cases will have a couple thou of "slop" in the chamber.

FL sizing (bottle neck) cases that way gives good accuracy AND makes them last a looong time with little concern about head separations. In fact, my cases always die with split necks. Been loading since '65 and have NEVER had a case failure by head separation!

(Okay guys, I know this case measurement conversation is off topic but the original question has been well answered and we're speaking to a new guy who can surely benefit in knowing a bit about how others USE their favorite presses!)

onelight
03-28-2019, 01:05 PM
(Okay guys, I know this case measurement conversation is off topic but the original question has been well answered and we're speaking to a new guy who can surely benefit in knowing a bit about how others USE their favorite presses!)

Thanks , very informative , I lack the tools or any application were these techniques would beneficial but hearing how it can be done is very interesting.

str8wal
03-28-2019, 02:29 PM

Been using Lee for decades and have yet to shed a tear ;-)

waco
03-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Been using Lee for decades and have yet to shed a tear ;-)

Good to hear! I'm just not a fan of SOME Lee products. If its working for you, more power to ya!

1hole
04-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Good to hear! I'm just not a fan of SOME Lee products. If its working for you, more power to ya!

Most of us feel THAT way. But -- Many of us feel exactly the same way about any other maker; Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, etc., so many of us are uncomfortable with blanket statement about Lee or any maker.

IMHO, all makers give us some individual tools that I, after loading with dozens of items from all current producers since '65, like better than all others and they all have tools I don't like. But that's only my opinion and other's valid opinions certainly differ. Thing is, I'm an old man who knows nothing is foolproof to a sufficently talented fool but none of our makers make tools that don't work and give good value when they used properly AND for the purposes they were intended.

David2011
04-02-2019, 01:56 AM
I’ve owned progressive presses since 1991 and got my first single stage in 1981. I would never want to be without a single stage press. The Lee Classic Cast has some nice features but I wouldn’t get rid of the Rock Chucker for the Lee. Definitely start with a single stage press with the intention of keeping it long term.

onelight
04-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Most of us feel THAT way. But -- Many of us feel exactly the same way about any other maker; Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, etc., so many of us are uncomfortable with blanket statement about Lee or any maker.

IMHO, all makers give us some individual tools that I, after loading with dozens of items from all current producers since '65, like better than all others and they all have tools I don't like. But that's only my opinion and other's valid opinions certainly differ. Thing is, I'm an old man who knows nothing is foolproof to a sufficently talented fool but none of our makers make tools that don't work and give good value when they used properly AND for the purposes they were intended.
Yup well said.