PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I ruined it?

double8
03-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I had this 1926 Winchester 32 Win Spcl re-blued back in the late 60's by a professional 'smith who rust blued it. Back then, we didn't think of re-sale value, but wanted a good looking Winchester. It had been a farm truck rifle in Maine until I bought it.
I had a few younger folks think the value was greatly diminished by doing a re-blue.

rking22
03-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Possibly reduced value, but if it pleases you then who cares. It isn't all about resale value, you have obviously enjoyed it for all these ensuing years. Nice Winchester in a classic chambering, I like!

DonMountain
03-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Are you making guns please you or the person that might buy it after you die? I like it myself and might have done the same thing. I recently started shooting my old "collector" firearms for the same reason. I ain't going to enjoy them after I am gone.

Texas by God
03-12-2019, 05:42 PM
It’s perfect. Enjoy.

rcslotcar
03-12-2019, 05:42 PM
That looks great. Again who cares, enjoy your rifle!

pietro
03-12-2019, 06:26 PM

IIRC, when your SRC was made there was no factory peepsight prep (2 D/T'd holes in the LH receiver sidewall), just a tang sight prep - so, IMHO, the refinish made sense.

I'd rather have a good-looking gun to admire during those times when game movement is slow, than a beater.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Looks great. If you like it, then you did the right thing. I think you could get a nice price for it if you wanted to sell it.

double8
03-12-2019, 09:10 PM
My son and grandson are the next owners....it says so under the butt plate.

JSnover
03-12-2019, 09:22 PM
The rule of thumb used to be 'knock off 50% if it's been refinished.'
But then... Surf GunBroker for a while and look at the ridiculous prices people are asking (and getting!) for banged-up junk.

WebMonkey
03-12-2019, 09:26 PM
+1 to all the above.

if you're buying something to sell, leave it alone.
if you're buying something to use, MAKE IT USEFUL.
(whatever that may be to the buyer/user)

;)

Peregrine
03-12-2019, 09:40 PM
Value doesn't matter if you're using it and enjoying it. If it was in a state where it needed to be rebulued it's value was already diminished anyways.

Traffer
03-12-2019, 09:41 PM
"OH NO YOU RUINED IT" says the little evil voice in your head. And anyone else that says that is an evil little voice too.
:drinks:

skeettx
03-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Nice useful gun,
As for collector gun, it was way past that
when you upgraded it
Enjoy the gun and shoot it lots :)

03-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Way to take care of your gear. I like it.

Texas by God
03-12-2019, 10:52 PM
I ruined my 1954 one too. Sling studs, d&t, reversible 1/2 mag and rebored to 38-55. It's practically worthless now-except to me.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190313/4d18fc271a2f985838eddae6b12f743b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

garandsrus
03-12-2019, 11:22 PM
I have always wondered about Turnbull Restorations. They take original rifles and make them look better than new, for a bunch of money (in my opinion). I can’t imagine that the rifles are worth anywhere near what the owners spent for the restoration after it’s done.

nun2kute
03-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Looks Beautiful from here !

Boomsticks Firearms
03-12-2019, 11:42 PM
To a hard core Collector it would hurt the value but some times you can still got more for the just because its in better shape or in like new condition. But it is yours and you do what makes you happy. I have a friend how like carbine size rifles and if he gets a rifle with a really long barrel he is not afraid to have it cut down shorter but me personally I don’t want the gun modified at all i like them to be all regional if possible but I do have some military rifles that’s been refinished but i would love for all of the guns to be prefect but that’s not always the case.

Winger Ed.
03-13-2019, 12:18 AM
If you're not going to sell it anyway, resale value is meaningless.

Fix it up the way you like and enjoy it.

Binky
03-13-2019, 02:11 AM
There are a whole bunch of posts in this thread that I would "like" if I could. It is yours and it looks great and I would like to own it and so would a bunch of the rest of us. Enjoy it while you can and leave a bunch of great memories to your son and grandson. Every time they touch it it will remind them of you!

William Yanda
03-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Let's compare apples to apples. Devalued compared to what? You stated that it had been a "farm truck gun in Maine" which implies less than pristine condition. I would agree that "refinishing" devalues a well cared for collector gun. However, refinishing a "farm truck gun" is an altogether different story. It is yours. I am glad you thought enough of it to restore it's original beauty! Those "younger" commentators are probably repeating something they heard and not considering the condition of the gun when you acquired it.

Baltimoreed
03-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Turnbull guns are a different animal imo. At the turn of the century gun manufacturers offered upgrades that turned their plain vanilla guns into works of art with engraving, premium wood or checkering at the customers request and at a cost. Kind of what Turnbull does. His creations are not a factory commemorative which most ‘collectors’ disdain, they are the real deal just put back to nib condition by craftsmen who actually know what they are doing. Of course a Turnbull refinished firearm should never be sold as factory new but with 100 years patina on a Turnbull redo I’m sure that some will. If I had money to burn but wanted a collection of minty firearms I’d buy them and be proud of them. Ultimately it’s your gun and yours to do with what you will. Think of it this way, if it was a ‘57 Chevrolet that was in rough shape but all there, is it worth more as it is or as a rebuilt, repainted, reupholstered, rechromed Chevy put back to the way it was when it rolled off the assembly line? But ultimately it’s your ‘57 so enjoy it.

MrWolf
03-13-2019, 09:09 AM
You ruined it. Send it to me for proper disposal. As basically everyone has said - who cares. Enjoy it while you can.

dragon813gt
03-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Who cares, it’s yours. Do what you want to it. I “ruined” Savage 99E by reboring it to 358 Win, rebluing it, re color case hardening the lever and installing a NOS stock w/ a high comb. And I don’t care one bit what anyone thinks. The notion that a gun in original condition, yet beat up, is worth more than one that’s properly restored makes no sense to me. But I prefer a restomod to an original car for lots of reasons.

Jedman
03-13-2019, 09:40 AM
I am with all that say forgetaboutit , I have refinished many guns just for the experience and I liked them better when I did it. About the only thing I hate to see is when someone uses a heavy hand with sandpaper on a gun stock.

Jedman

Shawlerbrook
03-13-2019, 09:55 AM
If it was a truck gun and not in pristine condition before you reblued, then you did not do any appreciable harm. It’s yours and your grandson’s , so it’s priceless. Enjoy !

double8
03-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Then there is the LGS owner who goes to the "blue book" for condition % on an "original".....that '94 of mine at the time I bought it would be way down as far as % finish.......I like it as is now. My son shoots it whenever he gets a chance. The ammo and brass are expensive, but I size 30-30 cases to 32 spcl.

Black Jaque Janaviac
03-13-2019, 11:08 AM
I think collector-value is over-valued.

Everyone reads stories about some antique fetching oodles of cash. But the reality is there are many attics full of so-called collectibles that are worthless. Collectible markets are very shallow. The demand is really, really, low. You may have a museum or some fanatic that really wants the item you have, and if you happen to connect with them you are in luck. The antique sells for thousands! Then word gets out that a Winchester '94 sold for a fortune and everyone puts their granddad's gun up for auction. Well the problem is, that one, single person who thought that particular gun was worth a lot already has his collection satisfied. To everyone else, it's just a used gun.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Collector value is a ghost. Unless absolutely pristine, most rifles are 'shooters'. Recoil pads, non facctory sling swivels, drilling/tapping, anything that changes the 'out of box' look reduces value. Only those extremely rare calibers or low production firearms for a model really maintain value if not pristine. Use them, enjoy them, make them work for you. Is it worth $200 over 15 years to do without a sling, a scope, a recoil pad, worrying about a bump or leaving it home, not shooting/enjoying it. Once the bluing is worn and the stock scratched it is for your pleasure. Maybe you will be lucky, maybe not? Is it the guy with the most toys or the guy with the well-used toys that really wins?

RED BEAR
03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
I do my guns to suit me i don't give a hoot what others think of it.

EDG
03-13-2019, 12:52 PM
If you consider value - what do you consider the most value?

1. Resale value?
This is value if all you are doing is investing, reselling or flipping. For this person the gun is only a commodity with which to make more money so it has little to no utility value.

2. Utility - the value you get from using the item
For this person pride of ownership and actual use of the item is most important.

Here is my take. If you are a collector only focusing on making money you might make money faster with an other side line job or putting in extra hours on your current job.

If utility or use of the gun is most important then the most joy and satisfaction you will get out of a gun is to take care of it but use the heck out of it so that when you are through with it, it is still clean but is nearly worn out from extensive use in the field. The most you can enjoy a rifle is to take good care of it but wear it out.

Arkansas Paul
03-13-2019, 12:58 PM
If I had an old Winchester like that, I would have no interest what so ever in selling it. Because of that, I wouldn't give a rat's derriere about resale value.
I'd make it look like I wanted it to look, whether that meant a re-blue job or not.

I don't know your situation, but if your heirs aren't interested in firearms and want to sell them when you're gone, who cares?

Handloader109
03-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Actually a really goo blueing job if it was done in the 60s. Use it, leave it to someone who will appreciate it and use it too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

indian joe
03-13-2019, 05:45 PM
It was beat up when you got it, its a nice gun now, with 7 million 94's out there its never gonna be a rarity- you increased its VALUE - regardless of whether the price you might get is different - yr not gonna sell it anyways.

double8
03-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Here's the one I haven't re-done............1902 Winchester 1886 45-70 Xtra Lightweight

jimb16
03-14-2019, 09:20 PM
If it is a pristine collector grade, leave it alone. If it is beat up work gun, have at it! You ain't gonna hurt it! I recently picked up a Fox SXS in rough condition that someone shortened the barrels on.(24 inches) I got it cheap (I won't say how much, but CHEAP) I love it! I'm shooting skeet with it now and bustin' birds like crazy! Who knows? I may clean it up and have it reblued! Or I may keep it just as it is. All I care about is that it is a great shooter, and refinishing it won't hurt it a bit!

Drm50
03-14-2019, 09:45 PM
I have several old classic rifles that are mechanical & bore 99%. They were reblued probably before I was born,
1950. They were working rifles and not collector items in the day they were redone. The blur between shooters and collector items is a factor of the net. I will buy these type guns in a heartbeat but not at collector item prices. I don't have any for sale but am always asked if I would sell at ranges. The first thing brought up is reblue or D&T for sight that wasn't original. Then comes some low ball offer because it's not original. I just say
you wouldn't want this gun with such obvious glitches so we might as well forget it. They ain't collector grade but they ain't $100 bucks either. I have quite a few rifles in original condition with various amounts of wear. They are all good mechanical & bore. I haven't one that would rate into 90% and up range. When I see like condition guns at shows they are wearing prices that are in upper 90% of book. This is because people are paying these prices. I am happy with my shooters. If they were collector grade I wouldn't be dragging them around the woods. I have S&W revolvers NIB from 50s-60s and I don't shoot them. I have sold a few of them and plan to
sell or trade the others for guns I feel ok with shooting.

indian joe
03-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Here's the one I haven't re-done............1902 Winchester 1886 45-70 Xtra Lightweight

This one might be a different story? Where I come from you could proly sell that one and turn it into two same only new - modern steel that would stand almost anything you can load in it with - new finish etc - if you are primarily a shooter maybe you flip it but do that knowing you never get it back .

flyingmonkey35
03-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Some people think "stock" is the only way.

So in my OP if it's still not in the original box. With the wrap on it. No one cares.

Great looking gun

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OverMax
03-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Handsome looking rifle. Very nice specimen of a: saddle carbine.
If receiver lines are sharp not rolled due to over aggressive buffing and its engraving is crisp top to bottom of its lettering?
The rifle will loose little value in the eyes of a non-collector.
If the rifle spent most of its life in its factory shipping container {un-fired.} That condition certainly would garner a collectors look-see.

flint45
03-20-2019, 03:31 PM
It's a great looking Winchester just the way you want it . Have fun with your gun!!!

onelight
03-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Stuff only has collector value when I buy and has none when I sell even on the same day.

Beautiful gun enjoy it.

bedbugbilly
03-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Looks great! Shoot it . . enjoy it . . . if it ever is sold, the buyer will determine if you "destroyed" it but if you did . . . then why would a buyer want it? :-) You did a nice job . . be proud of it and have fun!

40-82 hiker
03-23-2019, 01:23 PM
I've been trying as hard as I can my entire life to wear out original '86 Winchesters and an 1884 TD, and just can't seem to wear them out! I had to replace the "S" hook in one '86 Win. and an ejector spring, so I guess I actually wore something out, so heck, I guess that one is no longer in "original" condition. Well, heck! Can't sleep at nights now...

As to rebluing, fixing stuff that break, etc., on old guns, I have to agree with all who have responded by saying it's your gun, please yourself. We're not talking about the very last of a kind here. If given the money, I'd have my '86 given to me by my dad completely rebuilt/refurbished to like new condition. In a heartbeat. It means a lot to me that he gave it to me in 1966 when I was 13 years old, and I think it would be just neat as heck to turn it back to 1891 or so when it was made. Every time I shoot that gun it makes me think of the many times we went to the range with that gun, so what do I care what others following me think of what I had done. It is not a "last of a kind" My dad can't see now and he can't hear either. But I think he would be **** proud to see that thing in 1891 brand new condition again! Heck with the collector value! Again, JMHO. Never have that kind of money anyway, so I'm must saying... I could buy another original '86 for what that rebuild would cost! Ha! :holysheep While all of this is just talk, I really love the way this gun looks anyway. Time worn, but loving life as a shooter!

All of the above is JMO, and others can disagree, but it looks like in this thread there are many who would agree with me. I'm glad the OP reblued his rifle. Many years of pleasure for having done so!

jonp
03-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Do you like it? Then it's not "ruined".

If you were going to resell it then the value is diminished as it's not an original collectors. To me raised hunting deer in the swamps of the North East, it's set up to do just that and if a good price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

loveruger
03-23-2019, 09:35 PM
To me you can't restore a gun to original. You can only restore to look like orignal. Once it is worn and used it has lost it's origanality