PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Winchester "66" versus "73" - your input please

bedbugbilly
03-10-2019, 05:44 PM
As age creeps up, I've decided to "thin the herd" and cut down and consolidate when I get back to MI for the summer. I don't hunt anymore and seem to shoot less. My plans - get rid of two 30-30 lever guns - a Winchester Ranger and a vintage Marlin 336SC waffle top as well as a H & R 357 Handi. In place of them, I'm looking at a 38 spl or 38/357 lever gun. Regardless of which one, it will just be a fun plinking gun for killing cans, water jugs and a few of those terrible tasting "clay pigeons". The new 38 or 38/357 will give me the fun of a lever gun as well as the inexpensive rounds to reload in 38 special with cast boolits - which is what I will be shooting. The whole goal will be to cut down on the number of guns I have as well as reloading stuff and of course the containers of brass that I seem to accumulate in a variety of calibers - some of which I no longer have guns for. Ha!

Yep - a few different brands of what I'm looking for but not being a "lever gun expert" - I have some questions.

Right now - I've got my "want" pretty much narrowed down to either a Uberti Winchester 1866 yellow boy carbine in 38 or the Uberti Winchester 1873 38/357 carbine.

Other than the obvious - brass frame versus steel frame and caliber, 38 versus 38/357 - is there any reason for selecting one over the other (1866 versus 1873)? Mechanical/functional wise?

From my limited knowledge of lever gun actions, I know that both the 66 and the 73 are "toggle actions" - but the originals seemed to work for many years as well as many of the Uberti repros being used in CAS, etc. so I'm guessing that the toggle action is not going to turn out to be a PITA? (If kept properly lubed and not abused). Your thoughts?

Either model would seem to be a good "partner" to either my Uberti 1851 R & M Conversion 38 special or my Uberti Bisley 38/357.

I'm not going to be shooting competition - giving it hard use or abuse - just something with an "Old West" flavor to it to take out and run some rounds through once in a while.

Anything I should look out for? I'm thinking that unless I run across one at a great price (used), I'll probably buy a new one. If I understand correctly, the early made ones (repros. - Uberti, Stoeger, etc.) are different on the inside than the ones currently made and parts aren't available anymore. (for early made ones?).

I know a lot of guys "slick 'em up" whether it be for CAS or just shooting - I don[t know how much "slicking" I would do but before using a new one, I think I would clean the shavings and crud out of the works for sure.

I'm also curious about the 66 and 73 - curious because I load both 38 Colt Short and 38 Colt Long - will these cartridges function in either the 66 or 73 - just curious to see if anyone has tried them to see if they will.

The only other make I'm looking at is perhaps one of the Rossi 38/357 lever guns. Less money than the Uberti is certainly, but from videos I've watched - they are good shooting little lever guns. I looked on the Rossi site but all I found listed were rifles in 45 Colt - smile I reload that cartridge - I would rather have a lever gun in 38 or 38/357. Is Rossi still making them in 38/357? If so - what is the general price range of them in the blued carbine version?

Any input/advice greatly appreciated.

Jim

Der Gebirgsjager
03-10-2019, 06:36 PM
I can offer a little information, but not exactly what you want. I've got a Win. '73 (Miroku), a Uberti '73, but they're in .44-40 WCF. Both are very nice rifles, functioned perfectly out of the box. I once had a Marlin '94 in .38/.357 that was really good - no complaints at all. That was in the middle '90s. I just seemed too mild, so I sold it. Big Mistake, as it was a quality rifle. So that's why I went with the .44s. Then I got a little further into having a revolver and a carbine in the same caliber (I already had a couple of Uberti .44-40s), so I thought I'd better acquire some .45 L.C.s.

I also decided to change to the 1892 action and bought a Rossi and a Chiappa. The Rossi had some feeding problems which worked out, but the Chiappa is a great carbine in every respect except I wish it had a better grade of wood. Lastly, I bought a Rossi .44 Mag. stainless carbine. Again, feeding problems, but not as bad as the .45, and I was also able to correct them.

So, in summary, there have been several similar threads lately, and there seems to be general agreement that the Rossi is a bit rough internally but can be made to work, and that you can't go wrong with a Uberti or Winchester product. I'm not disparaging the '73 at all, having two myself, but you might want to take a look at the '92 as another good choice.

DG

Leadmad
03-11-2019, 01:56 AM
Jim, the 73 is a better rifle I think, its easier to clean the side covers come off without having to loosen the lifter springs like on the 66 and it has a safety in the lever so the hammer will not drop until the lever is fully up and the action properly closed it cant go off out of battery like the 66 can, both are good looking rifles and function well but the 73 you would like better if you owned both as I have that's my opinion anyway

Cheers

bedbugbilly
03-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Der Gebiirgsiager - thanks for the response - greatly appreciated. If I were going to shoot in competition or still hunt, I'd probably go with a larger and more substantial caliber than the 38 special. Most of my plinking/shooting now is with 38s and I don't cringe as much when I loose a 38 casing as I do with loosing a 45 Colt casing. :-) I have a number of good .358 molds and less lead, less powder is also another reason for plinking with the 38. I do load 45 Colt and love the cartridge - do Schofield as well just for fun. My thoughts are that once I get things "weeded out" and "downsized", then I'm probably going to look for one of the ArmiSport Spencer carbines in 45 Colt to use with my Uberti 7 1/2" SAA Cattleman - which I love. I think that a Spencer in 45 would be a fun gun - love the historical aspect of the Spencer as well as all of my Civil War ancestors that were in two different MI cavalry regiments were issued Spencers. I'd be satisfied with one in 45. Appreciate your comments on the rifles you've had - very helpful. Thanks for your kind response!

Leadmad - Thanks for your response as well. You answered questions I hadn't thought about. The lever safety on the 73 versus the 66, etc. I had not thought about. While I will be the primary shooter of the rifle, others may want to try it and I'd been better with the lever safety, etc. as some folks have never shot a lever action - the aspect of the 66 possibility of going off out of battery I had not considered. Both are nice rifles though but I'm leaning towards the 73 if for nothing more than the things you mentioned. Many thanks for your reply - greatly appreciated!

Speedo66
03-12-2019, 11:37 AM
I've got an original '73, great action, I'm sure you'll enjoy one.

Springfield
03-12-2019, 11:46 AM
I own multiple of both 1866's and 1873's. The internals are exactly the same. No, they will not shoot shorter cartridges like 38 Colt. It would be difficult to get an "older" version as they haven't made them in over 25 years, so that shouldn't be a problem. The '73 is a bit easier to take apart, as the covers come off without removing anything else, but no big deal. As for the lever safety, also not a deal breaker as with normal use it doesn't really come into play, just with really fast CAS shooters outrunning the gun. I have been shooting CAS shoots since 1999 and have never even seen anyone shoot their '66 out of battery. I prefer my '66 for competitions and I have never done it. Most CAS shooters take if off their '73 anyway.
The '66 will be a bit heavier than a '73 due to the brass frame. Also, the '66 has a slightly lower drop in the stock than a '73. The stocks are actually the same but the tangs are slightly different.

dverna
03-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Of the two, I would select the 73. I have had two, and sold one to a new CAS shooter. They are fast and accurate....fun to shoot. DO NOT enjoy having empties hitting my head/hat so have two Marlin 1894"s as well.

BTW, if you get the 73, get the tang sight for old eyes and use it as a ghost sight with the aperture removed. One nice thing with the Marlin's, they are easily scope mounted.

Good luck!!!

Wanted to add...

I am a tad faster with the 73, but the Marlin's are the ones I prefer for plinking. They will be with me until I stop shooting.

Handloader109
03-13-2019, 05:55 PM
I have a stainless 20" rossi in 38/357 and just love plinking with a 144 over bullseye in a 38spec. Rifle feeds it better that 357 ammo. Mines stock, and no issue from where I sit. There are a few blued coming in, but real slowly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk