PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Arisaka Type 38 long eye relief scope mount

Dutchman
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
The Japanese Type 38 rifle represents a more challenging platform for mounting a long eye relief scope mount. I started this one last night and can already see a brilliant method of anchoring it... if it works:roll:. For the time being I'll continue with this one.

There are 3 parts to this kind of mount. The insert is what I'm making. The rail is purchased, in this case NcStar mil-std-1913 mount for the Marlin 336. Its flat bottomed and cost less than $10. The third part is the anchor. I haven't done the anchor on this yet.

http://images41.fotki.com/v1348/photos/2/28344/6806565/at16-vi.jpg

All the mounts that I'll be fabricating are works-in-progress. Prototypes. The 1908 Brazilian Mauser mount is representative of the most common type of rear sight base found on 98 Mausers, though they're not all dimensionally identical.

The next rifle I'll work on is the 1895 Chilean Mauser and by proxy, the 1891 Argentine Mauser as they have the same rear sight base. They are very similar to this Type 38 rear sight base. My 91 Argentine will put 7 of 10 311299 into one hole at 50 yds. It was made in 1892 and is very nice with fiddleback walnut.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1359/photos/2/28344/6806565/at18-vi.jpg

http://images40.fotki.com/v1263/photos/2/28344/6806565/at09-vi.jpg

http://images36.fotki.com/v1155/photos/2/28344/6806565/at11-vi.jpg

http://images43.fotki.com/v1322/photos/2/28344/6806565/at07-vi.jpg

Dutch

DanM
10-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Dutchman, you are doing some fine work there. Have you ever thought about making a similar mount for the Steyr M95 carbine? May not be of interest to you, but I have always thought ths M95 would be a great candidate for a scout mount. A short, handy carbine like the M95 seems ideal for the scout treatment.

Larry Gibson
10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Dutchman

Fine work there on the custom made bases. I simply modify Redfield, Burris or Leupold one piece bases. This keeps the scopes mounted low as they should be. I also like the old Redfield flip up rear sights on the back of the base (Swede Scout) for back up iron sight. Just takes a little file work, a drill press, one or two D&T'd holes and mabe a couple spacers. Below are my Swede Scout and my "Evita", a M91 Argintine Scout.

Larry Gibson

Dutchman
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Steyr M95 carbine?

I'm only doing mounts for rifles/carbines I have. Don't have the m/95.

I appreciate the compliment. Wait till I'm done. I think I'm going to impress myself with this 6.5 Arisaka. Sometimes I have to leave it alone for days/weeks while I try and figure a way to solve a problem. You see that radius and ledge along the side of the rear sight base? A nearly perfect 1/8" radius which means a 1/4" round fits it really nicely. I've machined two pieces of 1/4" steel in half. Those will be afixed (somehow) as clamps around the sight base. The ladder pin holes allow a free fit for M3 screws so this Arisaka mount may end up being one of the more stable of the mounts I'm planning. And this raggidy Arisaka throws .266" 140 gr cast bullets side-ways at 50 yds. I want to try the Lee 170 gr *cruise missile*.

The Type 99 Arisaka has a rear sight base that mimics the Type 38 EXCEPT that dang radius isn't as pronounced. I'm not sure this same base clamp will work for the Type 99. Its pretty dang accurate with 311299 and 12 grs Unique. Its real accurate with Norma factory 7.7x58 except the chamber is so oversize it swells the brass almost to the point that I can't size it so I relegated this rifle to mediocre cast bullet loads.. which is fine with me.

Dutch

Dutchman
10-23-2008, 07:16 PM
one or two D&T'd holes

hi Larry

I'm working from the religious perspective of ~no modifications allowed~. I'm working from the perspective of a collector of vintage military rifles that cannot be altered lest their value & collectability be destroyed. One or two tapped holes would solve most of the world's problems but I'm bound by my design criteria and it can be very challenging to do that without those tapped holes.

Having said that, I'm aware that in many cases a single drilled/tapped hole can be camouflaged or hidden. I can give several examples as I've studied very long on this particular deviant behavior:).

Many rifles have a small setscrew in the rear sight base used only to hold the base in position while its soldered to the barrel. The Swedish m/96 has a M3 screw. The Finn Mosin m/39 has a M4 screw. The only problem with using these setscrew holes is many times the bottom of the setscrew becomes soldered in the process. Its not an impossible task to apply some prudent propane heat and get that screw out but with a m/1896 Swedish Mauser worth in excess of $500+ its not something you want to undertake without great care. A lot of collectors have only one such rifle. I personally can't fathom how they can look themselves in the mirror daily knowing they have only one single m/96 Swede but there are such people in the world and many times they'll spend the $$$ to get a better example for themselves and nowadays $500 is not an unreasonable price for a primo m/m96. Aside from that the use of the "tophat" type of anchor on the Swede is superior to the M3 setscrew.

The Finn m/39 with its M4 screw is ripe. I've made one and it was nice but it needed to extend further back to the shooter's eye for more eye relief adjustment.

I enjoy this particular area so much that I decided it needed a webpage to chronicle the activity and progress: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ler.html I don't have the results of the Brazilian or Arisaka on there yet.

The 1891 Argentine is on my short list. Rifles with no handguard to inhibit a low mount are much more interesting to work with. Plus my 1891 can put a whole bunch of Lyman 311299 into one hole at 50 yds so I'm anxious to see what it can do with a scope.

Dutch

scrapcan
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh boy another set of people who are going to want one of those are in the works.

Nice work on the mount. I visit you page regularly and drool each time. One of these days you will have extra time and motivation to make some mounts to share!

Keep up the good work.

Larry Gibson
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Dutchman

Yes there are those who don't want to modify their milsurps in any way. I have an essentially new M38 and a very sweet M96, all original. I understand that. However there are many milsurps that have already been modified or are not really collector pieces. The M38 Swede I made into a scout is a prime example. It came arsenal rebuilt with mismatching numbers and a very poor and ill filling stock. It is now a very fine rifle that is a pleasure to shoot and hunt with. The M91 is one of the many thousands that were imorted and modified (barrels shortened) for sale here. It was in excellent condition other wise and already D&T'd for the reciever sight. I got it for $75, a collector piece....hardly. It now too is a fine shooting rifle that is very enjoyable to use.

A tophat type anchor could also easily be used with the Leupold/Burris bases to anchor them. Your work is fine and I am not critisizing it here one bit. I was only showing an alternative to a lot of machine work (many have neither the skill nor the equipment to do it). I also think that your base with a slot milled down the center to fit a Leupold/Burris base might be better than the Weaver style. It would sit lower and provide windage adjustment for the scope also. It would cost a little more but not that much. Just some ideas and perhaps an option or two.

Larry Gibson

ctedder
03-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi I would like to get a copy of the pictures for the scope mount for the arisaka type 38.
I have one that my father had from the 1960's this one has the concentric circles and no
serial number. I just made a new stock for it using a picture for a ultimate sniper stock and now I want to put a scope on it. My e-mail is charlestedder@hotmail.com