PDA

View Full Version : Can such a pistol be obtained?

UKShootist
03-10-2019, 10:35 AM
OK, please first understand there are reasons for asking. Neither are there any laws to be broken.

Can such a pistol be obtained? The specifications needed are:

1) At least .44 Magnum, Can be bigger.

2) Supplied with Buntline length barrel from new.

3) Double action revolver.

4) Here's the catch. The barrel needs to be relatively easy to change from Buntline to, say, 6" and back again by a person with mechanical knowledge and the right tools but who is not necessarily a gunsmith.

5) A handy benefit would be if the thread on the barrel (assuming it's threaded) is common enough that a gunsmith could make the alternative barrel out of a standard barrel blank.

Peregrine
03-10-2019, 10:47 AM
I was going to ask how this coul possibly be simpler and cheaper than just buying two revolvers but I see you are in the UK. So carry on, just careful you don't get arrested for too much wrongthink.

lefty o
03-10-2019, 10:59 AM
what you want is an old dan wesson revolver. easy change barrels.

baogongmeo
03-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangeable barrels and shrouds. They made 44 mag., 445 super mag., 45 colt as well as a few others in the large bores along with 22s, 32s, 357s etc.
I think that the longest barrel for the large bores were 10" while 357s went up to 15".
They are out of production but used ones are out there.
As long as you have the bushing wrench and the feeler gauge, changing the barrels is easy.

Jniedbalski
03-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Dan Wessen did have barrels you could Chang out but expensive. How about a single shot pistole like the tc . I guess it would be a custom made pistole that you need because I haven’t seen any change barrel pistols in a very long time

475AR
03-10-2019, 11:08 AM
OK, please first understand there are reasons for asking. Neither are there any laws to be broken.

Can such a pistol be obtained? The specifications needed are:

1) At least .44 Magnum, Can be bigger.

2) Supplied with Buntline length barrel from new.

3) Double action revolver.

4) Here's the catch. The barrel needs to be relatively easy to change from Buntline to, say, 6" and back again by a person with mechanical knowledge and the right tools but who is not necessarily a gunsmith.

5) A handy benefit would be if the thread on the barrel (assuming it's threaded) is common enough that a gunsmith could make the alternative barrel out of a standard barrel blank.
In revolvers your best bet is a Dan Wesson they use a barrel tube with a shroud for the barrel in 44 mag look for a model 44 (blue steel) 744 (stainless steel) they are avaliable on the used market. They fit you request almost perfectly. Dan Wesson also made revolvers in other calibers like 45 Colt, 445 supermag (lengthened 44 mag) 357 super mag (lengthened 357 mag) and other calibers but a 10" + length barrel is going to be hard to find. If you are looking for longer barrels DW produced barrels up to 15" for their small frame 357 mag revolvers and up to 10" for their large frame and Super Mag guns. There was a company in Germany I think that makes a similar revolver to the DW in calibers up to 500 S&W but will need to find their website.

rfd
03-10-2019, 06:12 PM
you didn't mention whether multiple or single shot ....

so yeah, if single shot then a contender is a very good way to go.

they let you have guns in england, now. ;)

UKShootist
03-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the pistol has to be a revolver and available new. We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason. This has to be reasonably financially viable.

BigAlofPa.
03-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Good to hear you can own a handgun in the UK. A revolver is a fine gun. I always thought it was limited to long guns for hunting only. Good to learn new things.

jonp
03-10-2019, 07:03 PM

That's what came to mind for me

Beerd
03-10-2019, 08:32 PM
UKshootist, Does "new" mean currently being manufactured or never fired?

P Flados
03-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the pistol has to be a revolver and available new. We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason. This has to be reasonably financially viable.

The Dan Wesson design meets your requirements, and Dan Wesson (part of CZ) is making revolvers again. Unfortunately I think they are only making 357s and they do not make anything close to a "buntline" length.

So there is nothing for a "new gun" in a really long barreled 44 or 45.

Between me and my boy, we have 3 Dan Wesson revolvers. Two 8" 357 maximums (IHMSA specials) and one 6" 357 magnum. The 357 maximum has the same frame as the 414 and 445 supermags. The 8" is a big heavy gun and would be very cumbersome in a barrel approaching what most would call "buntline" (14" or 16", but possibly as short as 12")

Any specific reason for new only, the long barrel and the 44 mag caliber?

If you are wanting the "extra range", any used Dan Wesson in the Supermag series is capable of longer ranges than any traditional "buntline" in 45 colt. For long range and hard hitting, the 414 in 10" would be about as good as it gets. The 44 would probably be next. A 41 or a 44 with a 4" tube would still be very big, but would be much more handy.

I have toyed with the idea of asking CZ for price on a fitting a 41 cylinder, 4" shroud and barrel to my 740-V8S (the stainless 357 Max). I do not really need a "big bear gun", but having one would check off a long time "want".

pietro
03-10-2019, 09:21 PM
We may assume that the user would also purchase the necessary action vice and barrel wrench or any other tools needed, within reason.

This has to be reasonably financially viable.

Your assumption is in error, as regards the Dan Wesson revolver barrel interchangeability.

On a Wesson, barrel changes involve removing the nut that holds the barrel shroud tight against the frame (and puts tension on the barrel) with the included special tool/wrench, sliding the shroud off the barrel/frame & unscrewing the barrel from the frame manually.

Once the barrel is out of the frame, the substitute barrel is then manually screwed into the frame with a proper thickness feeler gauge betwixt the rear of the barrel and the (closed) cylinder face, the matching length shroud slid onto the barrel & everything secured via tightening the muzzle nut.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/faqs/how-do-i-change-barrels-and-grips/

IDK if a Dan Wesson revolver is financially viable, since the specific budget wasn't mentioned.

CLAYPOOL
03-10-2019, 11:23 PM
Best investment out there in reach. Snake guns from Colt, but pricey...

CLAYPOOL
03-10-2019, 11:24 PM
I meant Dan Wesson's as Number # 1. Colts # 2

Bzcraig
03-11-2019, 12:34 AM

Yup....

edp2k
03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Please define "Buntline length".
As I understand it, old West "Buntlines" could have 10, 12, 14, or 16" barrels.

UKShootist
03-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Please define "Buntline length".
As I understand it, old West "Buntlines" could have 10, 12, 14, or 16" barrels.

I was really just using the term 'Buntline' as a generic term for very long barrel.

FergusonTO35
03-12-2019, 10:39 PM
What is the minimum length where you are at?

Billythepoet
03-13-2019, 12:35 PM
If custom work is allowed, this would be doable with most revolvers. You would have to have custom barrels and shrouds made up, using the Dan Wesson style tensioned barrel. That would be an expensive proposition though.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2019, 03:27 PM
I just did a quick rundown on UK handgun laws, and see what you are going for. 12" barrel and 24" OAL are the minimum dimensions. Being as you will need a permanently fixed "counterbalance" or similar to meet the 24" minimum OAL, why would a switch barrel to a 6" be legal? A Dan Wesson is the only revolver I've ever heard of with an easily replaced barrel. With the right tools, you could change the barrel on any revolver, but I wonder what would happen with repeated use. Most revolvers use a crush fit thread, and I wonder if they would become loose over time.

UKShootist
03-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Thanks again to all. This isn't actually anything to do with UK firearms laws or shooting in the UK but it's complicated so I'd just like to stick to the basic mechanics of changing barrels.

7br
03-14-2019, 09:28 PM
This is a current production Dan Wesson in .357 mag. It might give you a few ideas.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/79b75498458ef45849c78897850b7d06.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/be4c894c170bc50f852baae969357385.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gwpercle
03-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Exactly what I was thinking ! Dan Wesson in 44 magnum not sure of the longest barrel they make.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2019, 09:40 AM
what are you trying to gain? I personaly don't have a use for a revolver with over a 6 inch barrel and surely don't want to drag around one with longer then 8. You get to the point you might as well carry a rifle. That said everyones wants and needs aren't the same as mine. But short of a very expensive custom handgun by someone like bowen ect your not going to find what you want. something like a buntline can border on being illegal if its registered as a handgun and shot with the stock on it then turned back into a handgun. STOCK is the key word. A handgun cannot have as stock it must be a brace and If its bought as a rifle it cant be turned into a handgun any way shape or form and in Michigan a handgun must be less then 30 inches long to be considered a handgun. I know a few that could get in trouble for ar pistols they've built with barrels longer then 8.5 inch. Measured from the buffer tube end to the end of the barrel my 8.5 barely makes it with the muzzle break taken off. right on the line with it on. Basicaly if you have an ar pistol with a barrel longer then 8.5 inches in Michigan your breaking Michigan law even though your not violating any batf law.

FergusonTO35
03-18-2019, 08:50 AM
I *think* it's perfectly legal to put a shoulder stock on a revolver where the OP lives, in any event he has to comply with a 24" minimum OAL.

owejia
03-18-2019, 09:35 AM
I've found during my life time with enough time and money anything can be obtained. Good luck on your hunt for what you want,

7br
03-19-2019, 09:59 AM
I *think* it's perfectly legal to put a shoulder stock on a revolver where the OP lives, in any event he has to comply with a 24" minimum OAL.Ah, but is it advisable? The blast from the barrel/cylinder gap my inspire the operator to invent new styles of cursing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
What I was thinking about is grip it with both hands the same as any other handgun and press the stock into your shoulder for a more steady hold. You wouldn't have to put your face close to the cylinder or anything. Since he is stuck having something hanging off the back of the grip to meet the minimum OAL I think even a simple wire stock would mork well. It would be like having a really short carbine. I believe that is how the WWI-era shoulder stocked handguns were intended to be used.

I've never been a huge fan of handgun barrels longer than 6", but adding a stock to one actually makes it appealing to me. Of course, you would need an SBR stamp do one with a sub-16" barrel here.

Harter66
03-23-2019, 07:53 AM
This suggestion gets you 3 outta 4 with separate barrel and conversion cylinder purchase .

There is a 1860 Colts or 1858 Rem styled Cattleman carbine . It is parts interchangeable with the standard models . There maybe one available as an 1875 Rem in 45 Colts . The Remington types would require wrenches to change the barrel . The Colts style would not . They are only single actions .

Another possibility is a Taurus/Rossi Circuit Judge but I don't know how the butt stock works there . Probably you would need frame/barrel wrenches and a second grip assembly although I have no clue how they are assembled at that point there is or was a Raging version chambered for 454 and 3" 410 vs 45 Colts and 2.5" 410 .