PDA

View Full Version : What will they come up with next to take your money?

1911sw45
03-10-2019, 01:18 AM
I could not believe what I saw at Walmart today. What will they come up with next to take your money?

JBinMN
03-10-2019, 01:23 AM
Interesting...

For those who would want to know what is in the hull like I did:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0899/4714/products/cleanshot-cutaway-master_580x@2x.png?v=1537190891

CastingFool
03-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Seen those at our local Walmart. I thought it was a silly idea.

Bulldogger
03-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Buying a cleaning kit for near the same price would last year's longer and provide a hundred times more uses. But there's something for everyone.
I hope the ammo sales tracking knobs will keep track of these purchases so we know whom to NOT buy a shotgun from
Bulldogger

Bookworm
03-10-2019, 08:24 AM

But... But.... It uses a HIGH PERFORMANCE PRIMER !!!

How could it be silly ?

JBinMN
03-10-2019, 08:41 AM

I thought it was too...

I just wanted to see what was inside the hull.

It is kind of an "oxymoron" if someone uses one, since you are using more powder when ya use it to clean out powder residue, ( & possibly a little bit of plastic) thus leaving some powder residue once again. Although they say it is "clean burning", I'd bet it still leaves a bit of residue.

IMO, a smoothbore shotgun bbl. is one of the easiest firearm bbl. to clean anyway. Just another gimmick I reckon.

Thanks for sharing the deal though, 1911sw45!

Always interested in seeing new things, even when they are sort of an enigma.
:)

1911sw45
03-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Just shaking my head. I sure would like to see a barrel after those were shot in it. Before and after pics. But I am not wasting my money to find out..lol Guess there are fools everywhere..lol

Your welcome JBinMN.

gbrown
03-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Just shaking my head. I sure would like to see a barrel after those were shot in it. Before and after pics. But I am not wasting my money to find out..lol Guess there are fools everywhere..lol

Your welcome JBinMN.

Thanks for showing us this, didn't know they existed. Not sure whether I would call the people who want these fools or just lazy. I've seen people who would pay the equivalent of a couple of boxes of shells to have someone clean their own rifles/shotguns. I'm with JBinMn--smooth bore shotgun is an easy clean. Then, again, I'm one of those weirdo's that enjoy cleaning guns.

Froogal
03-10-2019, 10:36 AM
You can find odd-ball stuff like that at Wal-Mart, but you can never find anything that you might actually need.

bikerbeans
03-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I am waiting for Cleanshot to upgrade their product with a turbo primer.

BB

BigAlofPa.
03-10-2019, 10:45 AM
I saw them too. I said to the wife. New products for new generation of lazy young folks.

Texas by God
03-10-2019, 10:49 AM
The only time I clean a shotgun bore is if I’m trying to sell it. I’ve never been able to tell the difference in my shooting between clean and dirty. I do clean the action, though. Different strokes and all that.

375supermag
03-10-2019, 11:19 AM
As someone once said...
That's an interesting solution to a non-existent problem.

bedbugbilly
03-10-2019, 11:20 AM
I have a bridge to sell in Brooklyn . . . . . . . :-)

bdicki
03-10-2019, 11:28 AM
The only time I clean a shotgun bore is if I’m trying to sell it. I’ve never been able to tell the difference in my shooting between clean and dirty. I do clean the action, though. Different strokes and all that.
If you want to see how clean your shotgun barrel is just put a bore brush on a cleaning rod then chuck it in a drill and spin it with some Hoppes around the forcing cone and chokes. It will surprise you.

Texas by God
03-10-2019, 12:11 PM
I will amend my statement. If caught in the rain; I will chase all the water out of the bore. Normal powder and wad residue doesn't concern me, but rust does!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Snow ninja
03-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Saw these at Walmart as well.

Question: If I shoot a duck with them, will it pluck and clean it too?:mrgreen:

jsizemore
03-10-2019, 12:54 PM
I'm never surprised by the laziness of folks. I make most of my living from it.

abunaitoo
03-10-2019, 05:48 PM
walmart here doesn't carry any firearm's related items.
Neither did kmart.
Sears used to, but stopped many, many tears ago.

David2011
03-10-2019, 06:28 PM
There are a lot of people that either don't have the skills (read: unwilling to try) or for whatever reason don't want to clean their shotguns. They are willing to pay me or someone else to do it or them, though. Easy money.

Maineboy
03-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Did a quick Google search:

https://huntegoltd.com/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/08/jeremy-s/gear-review-huntego-cleanshot-shoot-thru-bore-cleaner/

bmortell
03-10-2019, 08:41 PM
I cleaned and oiled my shotgun once.. then afterword's I took it to the bench and a sandbag broke over the action and filled the gun with sand. I took it as a bad omen from the gods that I wasn't supposed to clean my shotgun anymore.

Bazoo
03-10-2019, 09:11 PM
I know folks that can't disassemble an 870 farther than removing the barrel. They ain't stupid but they don't have any mechanical ability. I imagine it'll find a lot of sales with folk like that.

My shotgun has been neglected, it's got rust in the chamber. If I don't keep it clean it'll rust back up in no time. It's an 870, never fails me and shoots great but it's a beater.

EDG
03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Rusty chambers comes from the out gassing of corrosive gases from the plastic hulls under firing pressure.

Today I notice a lot of young guys gripe about how much soot gets on their pistols. They appear to pick powders based on how difficult it is to remove the soot. Many of them seemed to have blacklisted Unique because of the soot. I tend to view them as lazy. I would be surprised if they ever washed behind their ears.

Bazoo
03-10-2019, 10:00 PM
I didn't know that EDG, thanks.

nicholst55
03-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Today I notice a lot of young guys gripe about how much soot gets on their pistols. They appear to pick powders based on how difficult it is to remove the soot. Many of them seemed to have blacklisted Unique because of the soot. I tend to view them as lazy. I would be surprised if they ever washed behind their ears.

I like that 'flaming dirt' powder! I think it's rather silly to complain about firing your guns making them dirty. Simple solution - don't shoot them!

Those guys have obviously never cleaned a neglected belt-fed weapon - or a mortar!

redneck1
03-10-2019, 11:18 PM
huh , from everything I can find out these actually work pretty darn good , if they do work as advertised it seems like a darn good idea .
a person can get tired at the end of a day hunting or shooting trap or what ever and have a nice clean bore to spritz with some oil while having to do no more then load a round a pull the trigger ?

sure seems like a win win situation for the guy who doesn't want to be bothered with cleaning and for the gun itself .

bmortell
03-10-2019, 11:30 PM
I think its an interesting idea and design, my main problem is that it costs 1/15th the price of my shotgun lol.

gbrown
03-11-2019, 12:47 AM
There's another thread on Our Town about Lost Words of our Childhood--hoping not to cause too much thread drift--this causes me to think of a saying my Maternal Grandmother stated a thousand times--"A fool and his money are soon parted." Can't really say why that would pop into my head.

Dieselhorses
03-11-2019, 01:46 AM
With all this innovation you would think they would have designed this idea a little better, then it wouldn't seem so ridiculous. I mean make the primer channel deeper leading to the mother load and pull some wipes behind it like the parachute on a dragster. That way it could clean up it's own mess.

Iowa Fox
03-11-2019, 02:32 AM
I feel sorry for the folks that will never know the smell of pheasants, fired paper hulls, and genuine Hoppes.

redneck1
03-11-2019, 03:28 AM
With all this innovation you would think they would have designed this idea a little better, then it wouldn't seem so ridiculous. I mean make the primer channel deeper leading to the mother load and pull some wipes behind it like the parachute on a dragster. That way it could clean up it's own mess.

Think about what you said here , I'm not making fun of you in any way but you mention " design it a little better " I don't see anything wrong with the design . Like a few others I'm more about the price then design but even the price isn't so far out of line as to be unreasonable.
But back to thinking things threw and design .. let's bring up your little parachute .
Just how would that work ? Think about the physics at play
In front you have your payload , and then your combustible to propel it . Just how would you drag a " parachute " along with your payload with what basically amounts to a controlled explosion in between ?
Equal and opposite reactions and expanding hot gas and all that .

Bookworm
03-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Think about what you said here , I'm not making fun of you in any way but you mention " design it a little better " I don't see anything wrong with the design . Like a few others I'm more about the price then design but even the price isn't so far out of line as to be unreasonable.
But back to thinking things threw and design .. let's bring up your little parachute .
In front you have your payload , and then your combustible to propel it . Just how would you drag a " parachute " along with your payload with what basically amounts to a controlled explosion in between ?

Oh, sure. Just when we're having fun, someone brings in math. And physics is even worse.

Spoilsport. Phooey.

Peregrine
03-11-2019, 06:35 AM
You're supposed to clean shotguns barrels? :o

Seriously though, how often do y'all actually clean them? It's definetly been several thousand rounds since I've as much as run a bore snake through my mossberg. Actually it's been that long since I did any cleaning whatsoever besides a quick wipe down and a squirt of G96.

EDG
03-11-2019, 09:26 AM
One of the best ways to protect a shotgun chamber against rust is to give the chamber a little shot of Birchwood Casey Barricade using the spray wand. Then stand the shotgun in a corner with the muzzle DOWN in a plastic cup. Put a small rag in the bottom of the cup to soak up the rust preventative as it runs down the bore.
Wipe off the outside of the gun before giving the chamber a shot of Barricade.
I did this with my skeet guns for 15 years and rarely did anything else but clean the gas system.
They still look and function like new guns.

izzyjoe
03-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Looks like a gimmick! I'll also admit that up until about 20years ago I didn't clean shotgun barrels, and still have some that I don't clean very often, unless being out in the rain hunting. When I was younger I didn't have a lot of extra money for cleaning supplies, I could barely afford ammo! But most of my gun cleaning was a wipe down with ATF, or WD-40 on a rag. Y'all will laugh,but I did make a coat hanger cleaning rod once, just a small hook on the end to pull a homemade patch through, it didn't work very well so I abandoned that ideal, and one Christmas my dad got me a gun cleaning kit, and showed me how to use it!

pertnear
03-11-2019, 10:09 AM
When I was a kid I always heard that you weren't suppose to ever clean a coffee pot or a shotgun barrel!..LOL

Interesting thread. I never heard of these kind of shells but interesting idea. Now I'm going out to my shop to reload some 12ga shells stuffed with T-shirt rags soaked in Hoppe's. Do I have any volunteers as "Field-Testers"? ;)

blackthorn
03-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Ed's Red (with acetone).

Dieselhorses
03-11-2019, 12:29 PM

I didn't mean an actual "parachute" I just meant having something "squeegee" behind the load to clean everything up behind it. Have something trailing behind the powder.

redneck1
03-11-2019, 01:08 PM
I understood What you meant perfectly well , my point being that
The object in front of the powder will go one way and the object behind the powder will try to go the other way , that's simple physics.
Things aren't always designed as simple as they appear .

Dieselhorses
03-11-2019, 04:23 PM
I understood What you meant perfectly well , my point being that
The object in front of the powder will go one way and the object behind the powder will try to go the other way , that's simple physics.
Things aren't always designed as simple as they appear .

True, unless it had a check valve? Nah, but this product is kind of lazy. I'll stick with Hoppes.

troyboy
03-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Carbon credits? Who'd thought that would stick. They'll come up with some more whimsical nonsense sooner then later. It's all about marketing and consumer demand. Seems like nonsense from my point of view obviously somebody thought different.

sureYnot
03-11-2019, 10:24 PM
I didn't mean an actual "parachute" I just meant having something "squeegee" behind the load to clean everything up behind it. Have something trailing behind the powder.Contain the charge within a long sock. (Think airbag, like in your car.) Sock is longer than the barrel. Once fully inflated, it blows the pressure valve on the muzzle end. It deflates. You pull it out.
Could look mighty peculiar to bystanders.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk