PDA

View Full Version : Gun Friendly version of PayPal?

S.R.Custom
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
We know how rabidly anti-gun the people at PayPal and Google Checkout are...

Are there any similar type on-line money transfer companies that are gun friendly?

scb
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
It would seem to me that the NRA would be big enough to pull off something like paypal. I'd think that the money made could go into either the general fund or ILA. Would it jeopardize some non-profit status? But I know of no such current operation.

montana_charlie
10-17-2008, 01:17 AM
...rabidly anti-gun...
PayPal has never objected when I used that service to pay for guns, or gun-related merchandise. If they foamed at the mouth, it was something I wasn't able to see.
CM

dromia
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Ditto Charlie.

To date Paypal has never had an issue with me using it to buy gun related goods and I use it at least 3 times a month.

mold maker
10-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Unless the seller specifically Denys paypal, it is my preference.

scb
10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
"PayPal Acceptable Use Policy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Policy was last modified on May 14, 2008.

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.

Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation

relate to sales of (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (e) items that are considered obscene, (f) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (g) certain sexually oriented materials or services, or (h) certain firearms, firearm parts or accessories, ammunition, weapons or knives"
Sellers who have ignored this have had their funds "seized" and held by paypal.

montana_charlie
10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh!
Now I understand!
PayPal doesn't want their service used for certain firearms...certain firearm parts and accessories...and not for ammunition.

But, they are rabidly anti-knives! [smilie=b:
(or, perhaps that is just certain knives...huh?)

CM

Firebird
10-17-2008, 10:01 PM
PayPal doesn't care if you use it to PAY for guns etc, but when you sell something and try to COLLECT the money, they seize it and the seller is out of luck trying to get his funds.

S.R.Custom
10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Sellers who have ignored this have had their funds "seized" and held by paypal.

Indeed... I had this happen a couple of years ago. I've since been using Google checkout, but I suppose it's a matter of time 'til I get busted by them as well...

Naphtali
10-18-2008, 02:01 PM
May I make a few suggestions?

1. If you do not appreciate Google's or PayPal's ideology, stop using them. Remember, Google was one of the notorious four that caved to the Red Chinese, leading to arrest and imprisonment of more than 2000 Internet users. And Google-Red China is a censored service. To report this is at variance with their Mission Statement, advertising, and nearly all public statements on these issues shows hypocrisy becoming art.

2. I've never had a buyer or seller have a problem with USPS aka "snail mail" and certified funds or money orders or personal checks -- if you are willing to wait for check to clear. Depending upon: bar coded label; handwritten or printed labelling; type of mail service -- correspondent will receive what is sent within 24 hours.

S.R.Custom
10-19-2008, 01:18 PM
May I make a few suggestions?

1. If you do not appreciate Google's or PayPal's ideology, stop using them.

That's why I'm looking for an alternative.

I've never had a buyer or seller have a problem with USPS aka "snail mail" and certified funds or money orders or personal checks...

By insisting on USPS Money orders, it makes it difficult to accept credit card payments for merchandise on one's web site...

Naphtali
10-19-2008, 02:54 PM
That's why I'm looking for an alternative.

By insisting on USPS Money orders, it makes it difficult to accept credit card payments for merchandise on one's web site...AHA! Business transactions are a whole different bag of cats. I don't do many eBay transactions. I do know that several vendors use an alternative service -- whose identity I cannot recall. If you have children, put them to work on eBay vendors (at random?) to find the service. You'll have your alternative within one day. What I cannot confirm, though, is that the alternative is less objectionable than PayPal. You would need to query them or read their policy statement.

Hope this helps.

Levant
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
So I am curious. Do your locally owned gun shops not take cash or checks? I usually find my local shop to be cheaper, faster, easier, and more secure to shop at than using PayPal or any online payment system. My wife had her paypal hacked, we have had credit cards replaced multiple times because online retailers have failed to protect our data. But if I carry cash or a check down to the local mom-and-pop, there's never any waiting period for it to clear and anything I can buy online and have shipped to me, they can have shipped to them from their distributors.

halfslow
10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Sometimes you come across a "good buy" which is not worth getting if you had bought locally and had to pay local prices.
I have seen a relatively new service by credit card companies called the "one time card number". It is only good for one use, and protects your account from theft.

testhop
10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
guys i may be wrong but i think the govenment pull n.r.a.s non profit staus it was pushed by the anti-gun group but it would make a lot of money .
e-bay is going to requireall sales to allow paypal or maybe its only paypal.
but isnt pay-pal owned by e-bay that waythy get the moneycoming and going

missionary5155
10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
There was an outfit called BID-PAY.. did that go under ??

blackthorn
10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I dont know what alternative may be available in the US but here in BC Canada I can go to my bank (CIBC) and get a bank money order. The money order is made out to the recipiant and is as good as cash!! Further, my bank does not charge me for preforming the service but I cant recall if that is because I'm an old fart or not. You may want to check out what your bank can do for you.

Heavy lead
10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
OK,
Why does paypal have to know what the money is for anyway? I understand that if it is an auction or something that they know, but other than that do they necessarily know what the money is for? I do not know for I never have used paypal on the receiving end, only the giving.

Echo
10-24-2008, 07:37 PM
+1 for the cashier's check (or cheque, if you must). Good as gold, and my CU doesn't charge - but I'll bet many commercial banks do.

mikenbarb
10-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I almost always try to pay with a postal money order but I have also been known to buy a roll of paper towels for 300 bucks.LOL. Theirs ways around it as long as both parties agree to what the sale wordings going to be prior to the sale. And yes, Sleez-Bay ownes PayPal so the antis are getting the money anyway and why I try to pay always with a money order because I dont want to support a company like that. Just my 2 cents worth.

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
OK,
Why does paypal have to know what the money is for anyway? I understand that if it is an auction or something that they know, but other than that do they necessarily know what the money is for? I do not know for I never have used paypal on the receiving end, only the giving.
I can log on to my PayPal account and click the 'Send Money' tab.
From that page, I can send any amount of money to anybody with an email address. I can specify that the money is to pay for merchandise, services, or not specify anything (I think).

PayPal is there to transfer funds. It's up to you to decide what the money is for.
However, if you use the service for something that is against their 'rules'...and something goes wrong which causes them to get sued by some idiot, or nailed by some government agency...they can legally shift all of the blame to you.

They are a 'cover my butt'' outfit...not an 'anti-gun' outfit.

CM

Naphtali
10-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Bid-Pay is the competing service to which I referred.

Shotgun Luckey
10-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I believe E-bay is now requiring ALL sellers to accept paypal ONLY....there is some excuse about buyers not using paypal are more likely to not recieve their items after paying for them.

I don't sell there so I'm not sure of all the in's and out's

TAWILDCATT
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
If you have a bank account you should be able to get a bank check for nothing.
if you pay by USPS that is gaurented and you can get the us on case if you get ripped off.:coffee:[smilie=1:

pearson1662
12-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Bid-Pay is the competing service to which I referred.

BidPay.com, Inc. again discontinued operations on December 31, 2007.