PDA

View Full Version : Slugging 38-55 from the breach with a plugged round

jimmyhat1978
03-09-2019, 12:19 PM
I have a quick question I am hoping someone can answer for me. I have been researching the best way to slug a Winchester 94 in 38-55 from the breech end. I really don't want to disassemble the action. I found a thread from 2010 on here where someone suggested using a plugged round from the chamber end. The quote from that thread is below for reference.

<begin quote>
With a Winchester it can be done with an pluged empty case to push the slug...use pure lead just over nominal bore size. You don't need excessive pressure to make things harder. You can also dis-assemble to slug.<End quote>

I have two basic questions, they are as follows:

1. does anyone have a description of the procedure for slugging with a plugged case? I understand it in theory, but have never seen or heard of it being done before.
2. How does one make up a plugged round to perform this procedure?

I have never slugged a barrel before, but in my research and at the suggestion of the manuals and the interwebs it appears that these 38-55's have quite the variance in sizes, so I feel like guessing is not an option. thanks in advance for the help.

LIMPINGJ
03-09-2019, 01:13 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356251-Pound-Cast-instructions-(for-rifle-chamber)

fordwannabe
03-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Ok I gotta ask, why must you slug it from the breach end? Why not just slug from the muzzle end? I do.

pietro
03-09-2019, 11:13 PM

It's fairly easy to drop the lower link/lever/locking block enough to remove the bolt & slug the bore from the chamber end.

JSnover
03-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Ok I gotta ask, why must you slug it from the breach end? Why not just slug from the muzzle end? I do.

Slugging the breech end will give you chamber/throat/leade dimensions.