PDA

View Full Version : One for the Gurus

docone31
10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok, I have this .303 Enfield, which I paper patch at .314.
I fired some of my jacketed reloads sized at .311.
On the brass, there was carbon on the outside of the neck.
My thoughts are, the .311 is too small for the throat, it was new unfired brass and did not quite fit the chamber yet.
I believe, gas pressure while fireforming the brass to the chamber, blew into the loose neck/throat area.
Since it does not happen on my reloads, I am guessing this is the source. It does not go down the body.
Gads, these are sloppy bores. I finally found a casting size that fits. Untill then, I got 20ft groups with both castings, and paper patched loads. Once I found .3135, I got 3" groups. I plan on haveing my dies reworked by Lee to fit the paper patched .314.
Any ideas on this?

oneokie
10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a WAG, sounds like you have a lot of brass that needs annealing. How far down the necks did the carbon go? 1/4" or less?

Have noticed similar with some of my reloads, annealing stopped that from happening.

wiljen
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
I'd check with some of the machinists on the board before having lee work on the dies, I'm betting buckshot is faster,cheaper, and probably better at getting you exactly what you want.
If buckshot is too booked up, you might give Kenjuudo a yell to as he does pretty work too.

compass will
10-16-2008, 09:36 PM
fire form the brass with jacketed, then use the Lee neck sizer. Lee will make you a bigger piece for the inside that expands the neck for $10.00 (they did not say how long it would take). I thought I was going to need to do this for my .308, but now if anything I want one that is .0005 thinner (which I could do with my drill press).

HeavyMetal
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Actually Lee will make you a custom dies set for your 303 for around bucks!

You need to send them a couple of fired cases and a few boolits and they will send you a new Collet die set custom made to the diamensions of your rifle chamber!

No clue on which century you might get it in, but they will make it for you!

dromia
10-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Ditto heavy metal.

However first fire form and then use the standard Lee Collet die, the standard .303" die mandrel works well for all my .303" boolits, cases and loads.

I'd try one of the standard collets first they are stock items and no wait, if you need less boolit retention then a custon mandrel might be in order, if you need more boolit retention then you can have the stock one reduced or do it your self.

The mandrel is the only part of the die that will perhaps need fettling. I use the standard .303" mandrel for boolits up to .316" in the 303" with no problem. I do use a Lyman "M" die for expanding the mouth for seating.

I'm using HXP cases which is thick brass.

The point about annealing is also worth taking heed off.

The collet die also cuts out the lubing step in the handloading process and gives you a more concentric round in the chamber.