PDA

View Full Version : New "pistol" arrived...

Idaho45guy
03-07-2019, 04:07 PM
The Extar EP-9 that I ordered came in Friday, but I was suffereing from strep throat and a cold and working 12hr shifts, so picked it up Tuesday.

My brother was telling me about these things last year and how they were getting rave reviews and only $400.

I had no interest since I really couldn't come up with a need for one.

Then Washington passed that stupid I-1639 law that classified all semi-automatic rifles as "assault rifles", raised the age to purchase one to 21, added a $25 fee to the price, added training requirements, and made it so the local Chief of Police or Sheriff had to sign off on you buying one after he reviewed your medical records.

So I started buying stuff that I thought I might want before I could move to Idaho.

Then they introduced another bill to outlaw normal capacity magazines. So I started buying those. I bought a Glock 33-round magazine that would work in my G19. Absolutely no need for one, but if it made the libs nervous, then I was going to get one.

It came in and I recalled that the Extar EP-9 uses Glock mags, so I started researching them and watching all the videos I could find.

Maybe I could use it for a home defense firearm?

What the heck; if it scares leftists, then I'm getting one. Took a couple of weeks of trying to order one on the company website, since they sell out within minutes.

Another two weeks later it arrived at my FFL.

Opened the box and it is a bit underwhelming. Shipped in a plain cardboard box with only a PMag 17-round magazine and a very basic owner's manual.

Initial inspection revealed that it is indeed very light.

Polymer is so-so quality with nothing egregious, but not on par with the quality of a Glock, or H&K, or even a Taurus. Think Kel-Tec level of fit and finish.

Everything that could possibly be polymer is; the lower, the upper, the trigger group, the safety, the mag release, the charging handle, and the handguard.

Charging the handle is a bit difficult and it feels like it needs a few hundred rounds through it to loosen things up a bit.

The polymer safety feels like it has already been loosened up too much. Hopefully a decent metal AR safety will work.

The trigger is polymer as well but it is very good with almost no creep or reset and measures at 5.75lbs.

The stock pistol grip is cheap and slick and I've already ordered a Magpul replacement.

But boy does it handle well! With a red dot on it, 33-round mag inserted, and a weapon light added, it is quick handling and well balanced and very pleasing to look at.

I have not been able to shoot it due to recovering from strep throat since last weekend and the fact that my range is under 2' of snow as well.

Of all the reviews and videos of it, I have never seen anyone actually do any accuracy testing. So I will definitely be seeing what it can do at 25yds with a rest.

Overall, pretty happy with it. It is cheaply made, but no one has managed to break one, yet. If I had paid over $500 for it, then I would be disappointed. But for $440 including shipping, it's worth it.

And that cheap polymer is now coated with one of my silly camo jobs, so it doesn't bother me now.

I realize that a weapon like this won't appeal to most folks here, and that's OK. It didn't really appeal to me at first. But now that I've put my own personal spin on it, and the more I handle it, the more I really like it.

Should be a blast at the range and it offends those on the left, so it's a win-win...

georgerkahn
03-07-2019, 04:14 PM
You wrote, "I realize that a weapon like this won't appeal to most folks here, and that's OK. It didn't really appeal to me at first. But now that I've put my own personal spin on it, and the more I handle it, the more I really like it."

My dad wisely used to say that the reason there are so many different brands of beer on the shelves is that there are just as many different groups of drinkers who believe their brand is the best :). That this purchase brings you joy -- I am ever so most happy for you, and wish you the best with it!
geo

nagantguy
03-07-2019, 07:12 PM
I love pistol style ARs and really like your camo job and your reason for buying it!

beechbum444
03-07-2019, 10:48 PM
I usually don't chime in on these conversations......but...…." The Chief of Police or Sheriff has to sign off after reviewing your medical records"...……...Technically that's practicing medicine without a medical license and that is a Felony in all states because they issued a medical opinion that influenced a decision that obviously had repercussions. and a suspension of your rights without being charged with anything aka due process, unless they hold a medical license and spent several years in post graduate training to be a board certified psychiatrist......AND a violation of HIPPA because they are not on YOUR healthcare team treating YOU (the patient) ……..Just remember if someone has to ask your permission for something aka waive your rights for something...they don't have the authority to MAKE you do it...……...anyways what do you think of it.

Idaho45guy
03-08-2019, 12:01 AM
I usually don't chime in on these conversations......but...…." The Chief of Police or Sheriff has to sign off after reviewing your medical records"...……...Technically that's practicing medicine without a medical license and that is a Felony in all states because they issued a medical opinion that influenced a decision that obviously had repercussions. and a suspension of your rights without being charged with anything aka due process, unless they hold a medical license and spent several years in post graduate training to be a board certified psychiatrist......AND a violation of HIPPA because they are not on YOUR healthcare team treating YOU (the patient) ……..Just remember if someone has to ask your permission for something aka waive your rights for something...they don't have the authority to MAKE you do it...……...anyways what do you think of it.

The actual Sherriff or Chief of Police doesn't review your actual medical records; sorry if I was misleading.

The medical and mental health records are reviewed by the medical folks who must flag your records. The cops are responsible for checking for those flags before signing off on you buying a 10/22...

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1531.pdf

(3)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, in determining whether the purchaser meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.040, the chief of police or sheriff, or the designee of either, shall check with the national crime information center, including the national instant criminal background check system, provided for by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. Sec. 921 et seq.), the Washington state patrol electronic database, the health care authority electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(ii) The health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities for state-mandated costs resulting from the reporting requirements imposed by RCW 9.41.097(1); and
(iii) Local law enforcement agencies for state-mandated local costs resulting from the requirements set forth under RCW 9.41.090 and this section.

uscra112
03-08-2019, 12:35 AM
I live in Ohio, a fairly pro-2A state. And I frankly would have no need for such a gun. But if Ohio ever lost its' mind and started to full Washington, I'd buy at least one and maybe two, just to give 'em the old twos-up.

Cheers! :bigsmyl2:

EMC45
03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Those Extars are really neat.

Texas by God
03-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Not really my thing but I kind of like that. I'm looking forward to the shooting report- hurry up and get better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gunauthor
03-08-2019, 06:32 PM
I built an AR15 from a pile of parts, not because I like them, but just for the experience. And, if they p*ss off some liberals (AKA regressives), then so much the better.......

9.3X62AL
03-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Californians have put up with similar intrusive nonsense since 1975. The Democratic enclaves are doing their dead-level best to "out-Soviet" each other.

Idaho45guy
03-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Finally had decent enough weather to get out to the range. Unfortunately, everything past 20yds was still buried in snow so I couldn't get to the further targets.

But was able to put around 100rds through it using a couple of types of ammo and used three different types of magazines.

First of all, this thing is a hoot! Very little recoil, crisp, albeit, heavy trigger, easy handling, and fast on multiple targets.

Function was 100% with all magazines and ammo!

Got the cheap red dot dialed in and using cheap Federal 115gr RN brass-cased bulk ammo from WalMart, got a pretty dang impressive 1 1/8" group at 20yds using a rest, but standing.

Couldn't ask for better with cheap ammo, cheap optics, and shooting in 20 degree weather...

nagantguy
03-10-2019, 06:46 PM
These have been on my radar; since I’ve seen them as low as $399 and I can’t build another that cheap I thought I’d be a great boat and or camper gun- one chief complaint I’ve read is the Glock factory mags don’t drop free and required some force to remove- have you found that to be the case?

Idaho45guy
03-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Yeah, Glock mags don't drop free. But I really don't care since this is a range toy and I don't foresee me needing to do tactical reloads anytime soon. PMags work fine and drop free, though.

I have three of the Glock 33-round mags and they look the best aesthetically, but I use the 17-round Pmag for sighting in and accuracy shooting.

nagantguy
03-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the hands on evaluation!!

Idaho45guy
03-11-2019, 07:07 PM
The latest report I saw online is that some guy has 5000 rounds through his and still functions perfectly with no malfunctions or visible wear.

Will probably pick up one of the 10mm versions if they ever become commercially available.