PDA

View Full Version : Lou Horton

white eagle
03-07-2019, 10:58 AM
What is the significance of Lou Horton in a pistol?
I just bought a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and it's a
Lou Horton exclusive so they say
whats the deal with that
Are all Redhawks made from stainless steel?
Curious..:holysheep

RJM52
03-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Lew Horton is a firearms distributor in Massachusetts, and like many other distributors, TALO, Ashland, etc, contract with various gun manufacturers to produce one of the standard models with "exclusive" features. These could be a non-stock barrel length or finish...

Depending on what is purchased and from who, a distributor has to buy 50-500 of a certain "exclusive" and that exclusive will only be sold to and through that distributor.

A distributor exclusive will usually add to the value of the gun upon resale and sometimes a lot compared to the original purchase price... The Lew Horton "El" series of 1911s in .38 Super bring 300-800% more than the original sales price...

Just depends...

Bob

ps...you can email LH through their website, give them your make/model and serial number and they will email you a letter confirming that it is one of their guns...for FREE.

Redhawks used to be made in both stainless and blue but I am not sure if they make blue ones any more...

TNsailorman
03-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Usually not a whole lot of difference but sometimes yes. Most distributors like to have an "exclusive" item in their catalog or listings. Good publicity and a good money maker. It is more of niche market thing such as a 5" barrel, engraved grips or gun, different or no sights, etc. As stated by RJM52. For me they rarely add anything to my "want" list but occasionally they do, like the Ruger #1's. james

white eagle
03-07-2019, 12:39 PM
the only difference I see from pics is it's blued
not stainless
now I haven't taken possession of it yet so far that
is all I can comment on

Guesser
03-07-2019, 10:42 PM
There are blue RedHawks, I've watched for a blue one in 41 Magnum; still watching....