PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if this is a good idea

asmith80
03-07-2019, 09:45 AM
I just got back my Enfield sporter from the gunsmith, and one of the things I had done was to have the metal refinished using Brownell's Aluma Hyde. Before I sent it off, the bolt was very smooth with no binding or drag. About what you'd expect from an 80 year old rifle that has been well used.

Now that it's back it looks great, but where the Aluma Hyde coated the bolt and receiver I'm getting a lot of drag and binding. I tried putting some oil and then some grease on the bolt to see if that would help, but it just made a mess.

My next idea is to use something like JB Bore Paste to lap the bolt and receiver. I'm thinking if I can polish things up, or at least remove enough Aluma Hyde that there's a little more clearance, it should helps smooth things out.

Does this sound like a good idea? Thought I should get some alternate opinions before I go slathering this thing up and possibly ruining a really nice finish

LAGS
03-07-2019, 09:56 AM
If the bolt is Dragging , then you should be able to See rub marks inside the Bolt guide area or the bolt itself.
Or coat the bolt with Dychem or Black Magic Marker.
That will show where it is rubbing.
That way you might be able to Limit the area you need to polish out in your New Finish.

waksupi
03-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Should not have coated the bolt.

stubshaft
03-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Should not have coated the bolt.

Just strip it off of the bolt.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Ditto to the above. The gunsmith should have known better than to paint the bolt. I'd take it back to him and ask him to remove the paint from the bolt body, leaving only the bolt handle coated.

ulav8r
03-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Ditto to the above. The gunsmith should have known better than to paint the bolt. I'd take it back to him and ask him to remove the paint from the bolt body, leaving only the bolt handle coated.

Not sure I would trust him to remove the finish. He might use a belt sander or a grinder.

abunaitoo
03-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Just a thought.
Did he take the action out of the stock????
I've had actions that had been taken out of the stock, and a screw that is to long, was binding the bolt.
Probably not, but something to check.
Loosen, or better remove the screws holding the action, and see if it's better.