PDA

View Full Version : Rolling block barrels 43 spanish

wonderwolf
10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I picked up a 43 Spanish off one of the guys here on the forums over the summer with the extra cash I managed to save up. The gun came with two barrels and both have seen better days. they are both in the 43 Spanish chambering (not the straight chambering) and I have a hookup that has a Argentine barrel that is in and I quote "great shape save for one small pit on the outside" I'm going to be picking this barrel up on my next trip home so I have not seen it yet. I don't seem to have my de haas book here with me either. My question is what is the barrel shank diameter and length as well as thread pitch and style on these Argentine barrels? also did the Argentine chamber their Rolling blocks in anything like the 43 Spanish that was something else I should be aware of? Like the reformado case?

I've managed to pull some info from my "shooting the .43 spanish rolling block book" in that .975" was the bbl shank size for the #1 action block...I'm not sure which action block I have...eeck

11.15X58R = 43 spanish the bottle necked case
11.5x57R= 43 spanish straight wall Refomado case

Morgan Astorbilt
10-16-2008, 01:42 AM
.975"dia. x 1.25"L. 12 Sq. TPI is the #1 black powder shank. 1.055"dia.x 1.418"L. 12 sq. TPI is the #1 7mm. (smokeless) shank.
Morgan

Buckshot
10-16-2008, 02:15 AM
...............The M1879 Argentine contract Rem RB's were all chambered in the .43 Remington Spanish (AKA, 44-77 BN) or 11.15x58R.

.................Buckshot

wonderwolf
10-16-2008, 08:39 AM
...............The M1879 Argentine contract Rem RB's were all chambered in the .43 Remington Spanish (AKA, 44-77 BN) or 11.15x58R.

.................Buckshot

44-77 BN? whats the BN stand for?

so there were 2 different #1 action barrel shank diameters? the actions where cut to take either the black powder or the smokeless barrel?

Cactus Farmer
10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
BN = bottle neck, as the alternative of straight cased:coffee:

smokemjoe
10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Buckshot, My wenrdl is the 11.15x58r also.The case neck on my wenrdl is a long stove pipe while the 43 spanish is shorter. How come both rifles in the same Cal. from 2 different countrys Thanks- Joe

exblaster
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Joe have you slugged the bore on your Wenrdl? I have a roller that uses the same case but the bore is . 442 and the .43 Spanish case is to short and to small at the base. I have used .348 Win brass to make cases but thy are slightly large in the base. Have you worked up loads for your rifle?

thanks Exblaster

smokemjoe
10-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Bore is .456 on the Wenrdl. Paper patching now, Was shooting 13 grs. Unique, the Ly. 330 Gr. gould sized to .453 as it wouldnt chamber a bullet sized larger. I fired form 348 brass to fit but the necks about .090 short yet. Some wenrdls bore sizes are smaller then mine by the cart. converison books, Thanks- Joe

wonderwolf
10-16-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah thats one thing I picked up from the rolling block book the wendrl rifle has the same name for its caliber but its not the same at all. They warned about this in the book

Timbo
10-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Rollers made by Remington in Reformado caliber (11.5X57R) have pretty uniform groove diameters of .454 I have one carbine and two rifles and they all mic'd out to .454. Chambers are consistent as well so I don't have to segregate my brass for these.

The Oviedo manufactured Reformados (and .43 Spanish) are completely unpredictable however. Of the ones in my collection, one 2-band rifle is the only one that mic's out to .454 right on the nose; two three banders mic out to .446; another mic's out to .450. But the one that is most interesting is a three-band Oviedo reformado that is pristine and appears unfired. It has a reformado chamber, but mics out to .436! Considering that the reformado projectile was brass covered and had a tapered .456+- diameter, well, you can imagine what the front of the chamber looks like in this thing! There is a VERY visible step down from the mouth to the rifling. Makes me think it may have been a mistake.

I also have an Oviedo made carbine and a two bander in Bottle neck that both mic out to .446. You'll rightly see this listed as 44/77's rather than .43 Spanish. Unless you slug the bore you can easily assume they are .43 Spanish, but a Lyman .439 will just slide down the bore. I use the Lyman .43 Mauser bullet in these and they shoot great. Once the brass is fire formed, I size the neck by sliding it in the base of a .308 full length die about a half an inch; this gives me just enough neck tension to grip the bullet.

The actions on the Oviedos are "butt ugly"; beefy, heavy springs, not well finished, BUT they will shoot.

Regards,
Timbo

wonderwolf
10-31-2008, 09:38 AM
What kind of extractors did argintine rifles use besides the rotating type? My remington had the type that has the screw on the left side that holds it in. I'll be takeing a look at the extra barrel tomorrow and either buying it or not. Could I modifiy it for use in my bar type extractor rifle if it is the rotating extractor type?

John Taylor
10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
My remington had the type that has the screw on the left side that holds it in. I'll be takeing a look at the extra barrel tomorrow and either buying it or not. Could I modifiy it for use in my bar type extractor rifle if it is the rotating extractor type?[/QUOTE]

The cut can be made with a milling machine, If I remember right it is about .235" wide and about .060"-.070" deep ( under the root of the thread). I use a 7/32 end mill to make the cut. I start by installing the barrel in the frame and go through the screw hole in the side with a 1/8" end mill, being careful not to go so deep that it ends up in the bore. This will give a good idea where the groove goes for the extractor. Laying the extractor on the threads and lining the cut out notch with the milled hole will show where to make the cut. There doesn't seem to be any thing ells to measure from.

wonderwolf
10-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Thank you for your help! now I just hope the barrel meets all the other specs I need! otherwise I'll have extra money to blow at the gun show!