PDA

View Full Version : Win 1895 SRC in 30-40 Krag

samari46
03-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Been thinking lately and was wondering about getting my 1895 Winnie SRC in 30-40 Krag rebarreled with a octagon barrel in the same caliber. While the barrel is original for the carbine bubba gone worked it magic on it. Seems he didn't like the rear sight and hacked a crude dovetail and stuck one of those lever action rear sights in the dovetail. And the dovetail wasn't exactly up to G&H standards. don't know where to get either a full octagon barrel or half octagon/round barrel and figured a winchester style forend such as was used on the win high wall. Rear sight is/was a old Pacific made for the 1917 endfield which I had a member here surface grind the back flat. Your suggestions,comments are welcome. Thanks,Frank

Baltimoreed
03-08-2019, 09:15 PM
If you’re going to rebarrel it I would go with whatever profile looks good to you and wouldn’t worry about how it was pre-bubba. It can never be original again so make it yours, change the sights or upgrade the wood. Are you going to carry it hunting or is it a range toy? I’ve been assembling parts for a NRA 1895 musket build in .30-06. Found a Browning 1895 pre tang safety donor rifle. Haven’t ordered a musket stock yet. Before the years out I’ll get it going. This is what I want to build. Good luck.

samari46
03-09-2019, 12:43 AM
Forgot how to reassemble it and looked on the net for assembly instructions. Anyone have a printed out copy of the NRA disassembly,reassembly instructions. Took it apart to clean out years of junk,grease and easier to clean the barrel. I will pay for a copy if someone has the needed info. Thanks, Frank

HawkCreek
03-13-2019, 08:27 PM
You can google the schematic, print it as "fit to page". Thats what I did to keep something handy, just remember the 1895 is pretty similar to the 1894 so they disassemble pretty similar.