PDA

View Full Version : What size ball

madcaster
10-15-2008, 11:50 PM
To use in a 16 guage shotgun?Muzzleloader of course!
Thanks,
Jeff:coffee:

missionary5155
10-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Good morning
Are your barrel walls thick enough to start blasting a RB... ? I ask that because I have seen some real thin barrels about.
Next is to carefully mike your barrel and hopefullly the bore is even all the way.... A tight fitting patch will reveal that.
Now decide how thick a patch your are going to use... This is all just like a muzzle loader rifle.

northmn
10-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Good luck. The standard size ball for a 16 was the .648. Lyman quit making it. NEI is one maker yet. Some go as low as 630 and a heavy patch. 16 ga. is probably close to the best RB and shot combination for a ML as the RB is heavy enough to do the job with a little power to spare and the bore large enough to properly handle a reasonable amount of shot. There has been an interesting trend toward smaller smoothbores. I had a percussion 28 or 54 caliber. Would have been ok for deer up close but its performance with shot was inferior to a 20 and I prefer something more like your 16.

DP

10-16-2008, 08:21 AM
If you need a RB mould made to your specs, I suggest Jeff Tanner in England. He has a US contact man and a web site. ( www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk ). I like them. Orders are filled very quickly. And the several I've cast with are very accurate. Best of all the prices are very reasonable. Check it out.

Vintage BPCS
10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
You failed to mention if the gun is antique. I suspect that you are talking a S/S Dbl since you mention of a 16ga. Word of caution, if the barrel is damascus. You should proof the barrels before shouldering the gun. Dixie Gun's appendix can provide that info/process. Your bores should be near perfectly smooth, other wise you will need to polish or lap. If the barrel(s) is choked you should consider not shooting ball if the chokes are severe. I usually load a very undersize ball (+.02 smaller) with an oversize patch (+.01-.15 thick) These will give accuracy out to 75 yds. Keep your load to near the std 16 ga shot shell equivalents when you decide to shoot ball, especially in these old softer steels.

DB

madcaster
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
This is an antique shotgun,in great shape....:-D

missionary5155
10-21-2008, 06:52 AM
I would be careful...OLD Muzzle loaders were classifed by their makers as... Shotguns and then their heavy barrel models were classified BUCK and BALL...
If your fine old 16 gauge is in great shape... keep it that way... get a repro used muzzy and you have no worrys of damaging a fine old shotgun.

Vintage BPCS
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Missionary's advise should be considered. I have several pre 1900 s/s DBLs and I will not shoot rnd ball in any for fear of bulging a barrel. In particular never in any English made gun. They soft solder the barrels and the heavy load of rnd ball may split the rib. Belgian guns are brazed but these were often used heavily and the barrels are usually a little thin at the muzzle. If you are really in need of shooting rnd ball then I suggest a ball at least .02 under bore diameter as measure a minimum of 12" back from the muzzle. If you can pull the breech plugs measure up 6". Pulling plugs is a risky business though. I would be using a .040 under size ball with a .020 thick heavily greased patch, (Sort of like loading a Brown Bess -- .69 ball in a .72 barrel.) over 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 drams of FF BLACK POWDER. Your breech pressure should be the same as a shot load and the muzzle velocity around 1100 fps if you keep to the light load. You will need to clean/swab the barrel after each shot to break up any fowling accumulation. If you don't, loading becomes difficult and then the pressures will climb and possibly split or bulge the barrel.
DB

Vintage BPCS
10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Missionary's advise should be considered. I have several pre 1900 s/s DBLs and I will not shoot rnd ball in any for fear of bulging a barrel. In particular never in any English made gun. They soft solder the barrels and the heavy load of rnd ball may split the rib. Belgian guns are brazed but these were often used heavily and the barrels are usually a little thin at the muzzle. If you are really in need of shooting rnd ball then I suggest a ball at least .02 under bore diameter as measure a minimum of 12" back from the muzzle. If you can pull the breech plugs measure up 6". Pulling plugs is a risky business though. I would be using a .040 under size ball with a .020 thick heavily greased patch, (Sort of like loading a Brown Bess -- .69 ball in a .72 barrel.) over 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 drams of FF BLACK POWDER. Your breech pressure should be the same as a shot load and the muzzle velocity around 1100 fps if you keep to the light load. You will need to clean/swab the barrel after each shot to break up any fowling accumulation. If you don't, loading becomes difficult and then the pressures will climb and possibly split or bulge the barrel.
DB

madcaster
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
i do NOT think I will shoot a patched ball from this'un!Thanks Guys!