PDA

View Full Version : Noticing more people carrying in my area.

BigAlofPa.
03-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Not long ago. If you forgot to lock the car doors no big deal. Same if you ran out for a quick trip and did not lock the house door. We been getting a lot of less desirable folks coming in. Our area is not the best in jobs. So people are moving out. And out of town landlords are buying up properties. And putting in section 8 folks in. The drugs are rampant and crimes are up. It's getting scary. Mostly i see us older folks carrying and some younger too. There was a time when we would only arm up to go on a hike or hunting. Has any others seen this happening in there towns?

03-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Millions of illegals have to live somewhere. When is America going to realize this is an invasion, and it's purposeful? Even if your "new friends" aren't illegals, the addition of millions of new residents must cause a population shift.

Love Life
03-05-2019, 12:36 PM
I’ve noticed in uptick in gun ownership and carrying. I guess it’s a double edge sword. I’m glad more people are exercising their rights, but I hat that they feel they HAVE to.

marek313
03-05-2019, 01:27 PM
I wish I could carry ..... thank you NJ for that. Man I cant wait to get the hell out of this sucky state :groner:

Winger Ed.
03-05-2019, 01:33 PM
In Texas, 'concealed carry' means concealed. We have open carry too, but hardly anybody does in town.
But if ya look close, you can see a bulge or faint lump on about 1/3 of the guys here.
In the CCW classes, they aren't 1/2 women, but its close.

nagantguy
03-05-2019, 02:09 PM
When we teach cpl classes here in MI it’s a lot of women; about half which makes perfect sense; the surprise to me was the amount of clergy and teachers we have in class; the amount of advanced training church groups are getting- surprised not because I don’t see the need but because they waited so long and so few have any firearms/security/crisis management skills at all; very scary to think how long the doors to our churches have been wide open to mass murders... it’s not a new thing. Glad they are taking corrective measures!
Section 8 aka very poor /unstable minority housing is also booming around these parts and oddly enough property and domestic crimes and theft are on he rise- wonder if there is any correlation between the two phenomenon???

It is also equally surprising that so many of our students come to us AFTER a robbery or break in or a loved one getting mauled by a dog in one of our state forests or trails , we also have companies we work with for security systems safes/ safe rooms and hardened door as well as dogs trained by the school where all MI department of corrections dogs come from;
Putting andead bolt on your hardened door frame and getting a dog after a robbery- is confusing to me.
Local couple run a very successful bar/restaurant and only took any sort of security measures after the second time they were robbed ,this time tied up and beaten; not even a camera nor a security door on the kitchen entrance. Sorry for the long post; our local liquor store the only one close was robb d at gun point 3 times; before the father got training and arms for his wife and daughters who worked the place 24/7- 3 Times. I just don’t get it seem your luck would have to be running thin after the second time

drizler
03-05-2019, 02:11 PM
That made me laugh. Cleaner than Vince Fosters[emoji1305]. PRICELESS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white eagle
03-05-2019, 02:12 PM
sounds like the familiar result of low income housing
not one race or ethnicity in general just see more
unsavory riffraff come along with some good folks

SvenLindquist
03-05-2019, 02:32 PM
That made me laugh. Cleaner than Vince Fosters[emoji1305]. PRICELESS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a great story how a 38 Colt Army shot him that had NO paper trail from the day it left the factory.
Wonder if a Colt letter would show it was shipped to Arkansas ?

BigAlofPa.
03-05-2019, 02:38 PM
We are just getting the spanish folks. Funny thing is. I was saying we have no mexicans here yet. The other day we were out in the bush target shooting. And there was some shooting air guns. They left real quick when we started firing real rounds lol. Then we saw a spanish family at walmart. Cart in the way. I had to move it so we could get by. But a lot of black folks now, Some are decent and nice to chat with. But then there is the bad ones that give you the stare down like haha were on your turf now. And we have the white bad ones too. The police are busy all the time these days. Used to see one cruizer out at a time, Now it's 3 or 4.

nagantguy
03-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Diversity; but only in white neighborhoods; don’t see whites getting bused into the ghetto; or demanding to anyhow. Just an observation

Froogal
03-05-2019, 03:47 PM
In Iowa, a carry permit is good for open carry or concealed. I've not noticed any open carry in the small towns that I frequent. Concealed carry is another thing. If it is properly concealed, no on knows it is there. As for me, I am too old to either fight OR run.

JBinMN
03-05-2019, 04:09 PM
In MN, latest statistics demonstrate that 1 in 20 Minnesotans have a CCW. Based off that, with knowing who in my "network" have one & do or do not carry, & in personal observations of others on occasion( I am always looking to see if I can ID someone carrying for situational awareness. They could be a good or bad person.) I think that the ones actually carrying with a CC permit is around 1 in 50, if that...

I live rural, so I think that has a lot to do with "my" opinion, and perhaps folks in more urban areas that have CC permits, carry more. I do not spend enough time in the sub/urban areas to know. The statistics mentioned above would present a number around 180,000 CC permits in the MNPLS/ST.PAUL metro area(Twin Cities + suburbs) with its' approx. population of 3,601,000. Which if the 1 in 50 that actually carry were applied, leaves a pretty small number of folks who CC in that particular population. (It might even be less carrying due to the type of mindset of many people who live in that area if one were to look at voting trends...)

The rural population usually sees little reported violence as compared to the cities & one would think that those who have CC permits in those urban/suburban areas would carry more, but the news reports have not shown that much use by CC holders against criminals in the past, so I am inclined to think that many in the cities do not carry as much as those rural, even with the difference in crime rates. ( It very well may be that those who live rural, since we look at life a bit differently, IMO, from urban dwellers, may carry more then those in the city, due to our mindset & closer relationship with the outdoors. Even though those with permits still do not carry as much as I would expect.)

Anyway, I am sure that with an influx of people in an area brings not only the good elements, but unfortunately, an increase in the undesirable & criminal elements as well. Such is pretty much a "given", and without the societal "norms" that the earlier population maintained, the newcomers may end up changing those societal norms to something less desirable than in the past. Thus, the need for more folks to apply for & legally CC. ( You know that there is always those that will CC illegally as well, and it is only prudent to try to keep the numbers of the good CC folks higher than the bad CC ones.)

If you can legally do so, I urge everyone to carry every day, all day & even in your yard, or at least legally have a firearm within reasonable distance for we should remember the old saying, "It is better to have, & not need, than to need & not have."
;)

G'Luck!
:)

BigAlofPa.
03-05-2019, 04:17 PM
I notice if someone goes for there walet and there jacket lifts. Or they bend over and the gun shows. Some shoulder holster too. And if there jacket is open you can see it. My LGS said a lot more woman are buying hand guns too lately.

Winger Ed.
03-05-2019, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=JIn MN, latest statistics demonstrate that 1 in 20 Minnesotans have a CCW. [/QUOTE]

I don't know what it is here.
They've changed the laws here to where you don't need a CCW to carry in your car,
but you need it to get out and go in somewhere armed, and I don't hardly go anywhere.

I finally got mine awhile back because I was almost the only person around here that didn't have a CCW.

BigAlofPa.
03-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Latest stats i could find for Pennsylvania 1,275,000 March 15, 2017 . But we can open carry without a permit too.
https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/

EDG
03-05-2019, 05:45 PM
We had an interesting local situation. A once upscale apartment complex got old and ran down and became low income housing. Very handy for the scum bags living in it since it was only a block from a very nice super market. The scumbags were within easy walking distance of the store so they hung out there, broke into cars in the parking lot and shop lifted the store's merchandise. Some harassed the customers and panhandled. At times groups of them clogged up the parking lot daring you to run over them.

The supermarket found a vacant plot of land about a 1.5 miles away and built a new store about 4X the size of the old store and shut down the old store. Now the scumbags have no place within easy walking distance. The new store is 1.5 miles away but it also has a major traffic interchange between it and the old apartments. How the low income folks get by without cars now is a mystery but they brought it on themselves.

RED BEAR
03-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Well it has been happening here for a few years now 30 years ago was a great neighborhood now lots of section 8 drugs and hear guns going off all the time now. Its pretty easy to tell what kind of neighborhood your in if there is trash all along the side of road or on off ramp you might want to avoid stopping . For 20 years never had any trash thrown in front yard now its every day. Would love to move to country but can't afford it so i now carry every where i go even in yard.

Shawlerbrook
03-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Drugs, the absence of institutions for mentally ill, illegals and just bad people are all responsible for increased crime in certain areas. Way out here in the sticks, depending on law enforcement is a fatal plan.

Froogal
03-05-2019, 06:30 PM
If you go through the steps needed to acquire a carry permit, and you own a concealable handgun, why do you NOT carry? I've heard many different excuses, but that is all they are. Just excuses.

Froogal
03-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Drugs, the absence of institutions for mentally ill, illegals and just bad people are all responsible for increased crime in certain areas. Way out here in the sticks, depending on law enforcement is a fatal plan.

Law enforcement can be as much as 30 minutes away out here in the sticks, but a .357 can travel at over 1,000 feet per second.

brewer12345
03-05-2019, 07:49 PM
If you go through the steps needed to acquire a carry permit, and you own a concealable handgun, why do you NOT carry? I've heard many different excuses, but that is all they are. Just excuses.

Unfortunately, I cannot carry when I go to work in the city. I work in a secure building and have to clear security. Once I am inside I feel safe, since you would need a truck bomb to get in and even then you would be met with some very determined rifle fire from guys who train all the time. Coming and going I am a soft target and not happy about it.

Wild Bill 7
03-05-2019, 10:21 PM
My wife and I have had our CCP for almost 20 years now. Our community was very safe back then but it is entirely different now. We now have gangs in our town and kids going through neighborhoods stealing anything in unlocked cars. My wife is finally carrying when ever she goes out. The border crisis is real and it needs to be fixed.

MrWolf
03-05-2019, 10:42 PM
I wish I could carry ..... thank you NJ for that. Man I cant wait to get the hell out of this sucky state :groner:

All I can say is I moved from there after 57 years two years ago and I am HAPPY!

RED BEAR
03-06-2019, 02:16 PM
I look at my carry gun just like american express don't leave home without it.

BigAlofPa.
03-06-2019, 04:06 PM

I like that Red Bear.

Kraschenbirn
03-06-2019, 05:34 PM
I don't advertise that I carry (or even that I've got a permit) but, since last spring, I've had a half-dozen individuals...two of whom I would've doubted even owned a gun...ask me about the procedure for obtaining a CCL simply because I'm the only 'serious' shooter they know. Could be "Times they are a'changin…"

Bill

ghh3rd
03-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Got my CWP around 10 years ago and have carried daily since. Although I’ve occasionally carried something larger, my SW 642 is always in my pocket, or in its mattresses holster at night.

To me, not carrying is like the feeling that I get if I remove my seatbelt in a moving car. I don’t expect a car crash, or a violent attack in the next minute, but either one could happen without warning, anywhere.

Hi-Speed
03-06-2019, 06:25 PM
all states should have constitutional carry, applaud Kentucky recently.

bob208
03-06-2019, 06:51 PM
awhile back a store keeper said the town chief of police not to worry about a hold up every one in town carried.

abunaitoo
03-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Crime and drugs getting bad here. Tourist getting attacked all the time in Waikiki. Roving gangs of homeless kids. Most older people no longer take walks alone. Homeless taking over sidewalks and parks . Cars and homes being broken into everyday. But the government says nothing. We do not have any kind of carry. it always comes up, but never passes. damacrat state. Just because a state, or county has CCW, doesn't mean everyone is carrying. The crooks know it, so it serves a great deterrent. I just don't see a problem with CCW. We need to ask why anyone would be against giving a person the tools to protect themselves.

white cloud
03-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Perfect! When my jeans/shorts go on in the morning my J frame S&W is in my pocket. If you watch the local news around here you realize there is some really scary stuff going on. Even the pinkos around are arming up.

Froogal
03-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Perfect! When my jeans/shorts go on in the morning my J frame S&W is in my pocket. If you watch the local news around here you realize there is some really scary stuff going on. Even the pinkos around are arming up.

I found a pocket holster that fits the 642 very nice. With just a little practice, I learned how to pull the gun and leave the holster right in my pocket.

lightman
03-08-2019, 10:01 AM
I'm seeing it around here too. I could say a lot more but...............

Froogal
03-08-2019, 10:12 AM
I was not even very interested in firearms until a few years ago, when it started to look like I may never be able to buy any type of firearm. It was then that I applied for a permit to purchase, and then bought my first handgun. A short time after that I realized that if I own it, I might as well be carrying it, so I got a carry permit. Considering what is going on out in D.C. right now, I will guess there are a lot of people with the same mindset I had just a few years ago.

nun2kute
03-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Millions of illegals have to live somewhere. When is America going to realize this is an invasion, and it's purposeful? Even if your "new friends" aren't illegals, the addition of millions of new residents must cause a population shift.

History repeats itself ... :killingpc

bedbugbilly
03-08-2019, 11:20 AM
They must not be "carrying concealed" too well if everybody is noticing . . . .they either need to look at themselves in the mirror before they leave home or they want to be "noticed". Personally, I carry so it doesn't look like I'm wearing a "billboard" to advertise it. Just sayin' . . . .

justashooter
03-08-2019, 05:20 PM
in york county we are getting ghetto people moving into section 8. the muslim in chief ordered a change in section 8 reimbursement in 2012 that caused buy up of inexpensive housing in rural areas and included a program deliberately designed to inflict urban types on formerly safe small towns. i live 5 miles away from the nearest small town, so it's not in my front 40, but it is getting into the school systems. i'm not so much worried about having to shoot someone, but am worried about my grandson seeing crack and 50 cent fellatio in school bathrooms. it's an urban lifestyle, and acclimating urbans to country is a slow process, especially when they get to be more than 5-10%.

BigAlofPa.
03-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Do you mean york county Pa? I was at the fair grounds to see Alice Copper this summer. Had the time of my life. The old guy didn't miss a beat.

Texas by God
03-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Do you mean york county Pa? I was at the fair grounds to see Alice Copper this summer. Had the time of my life. The old guy didn't miss a beat.70° here yesterday and I was riding around with both windows down on the truck blasting the best of Alice Cooper out for the benefit of all the Millennials in traffic lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigAlofPa.
03-08-2019, 06:56 PM
70° here yesterday and I was riding around with both windows down on the truck blasting the best of Alice Cooper out for the benefit of all the Millennials in traffic lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Awesome! :mrgreen:

mold maker
03-08-2019, 06:57 PM
We no longer depend on Barney Fife to protect us. It's a personal responsibility that many recognize. This isn't your grandads world anymore.

David2011
03-08-2019, 09:32 PM

Out of several carry guns I have the J frame is my favorite. Looks like keys in my pocket in an Unkle Mike’s neoprene holster. Concealed carry is a felony in NM in any store that sells alcoholic beverages. NM is becoming very anti 2A. Actually, that is incorrect. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are anti. Pretty much the rest of the state is rural or semi rural and very pro gun.

BigAlofPa.
03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Yesterday it was nice out. And there was some woman out practicing. Good to see folks using their firearms. A lot buy them and never fire them.

Froogal
03-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Wife and I both got in some practice yesterday. We took turns with a Smith air weight and a Ruger SP101. Using .38 special +P in both. Those snubbies are NOT my favorite type of firearm, but they get the job done and are easily concealable.

justashooter
03-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Do you mean york county Pa? I was at the fair grounds to see Alice Copper this summer. Had the time of my life. The old guy didn't miss a beat.

yes sir, America's first capital. i'm just south of town near lake redman. still a nice place to raise your kids, but getting darker all the time.

BigAlofPa.
03-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Same here in the coal regions. It's becoming a little Philly.

Idaho45guy
03-14-2019, 01:04 AM
I was not even very interested in firearms until a few years ago, when it started to look like I may never be able to buy any type of firearm. It was then that I applied for a permit to purchase, and then bought my first handgun. A short time after that I realized that if I own it, I might as well be carrying it, so I got a carry permit. Considering what is going on out in D.C. right now, I will guess there are a lot of people with the same mindset I had just a few years ago.

And you're in Iowa? When did the laws change out there? I got my first carry gun and concealed carry permit when I lived in Grinnell, IA in 1994. I bought a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel from the local WalMart. I didn't have to apply for a permit to buy it.

Froogal
03-22-2019, 10:05 AM
And you're in Iowa? When did the laws change out there? I got my first carry gun and concealed carry permit when I lived in Grinnell, IA in 1994. I bought a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel from the local WalMart. I didn't have to apply for a permit to buy it.

At that time, I didn't know that a carry permit was all that I needed to not only purchase a firearm but also to carry.

Idaho45guy
03-22-2019, 07:54 PM
At that time, I didn't know that a carry permit was all that I needed to not only purchase a firearm but also to carry.

Again, are you saying that Iowa now requires either a CCW or some sort of official permit to purchase a firearm?

If so, then they have slid further into leftism than I thought. I mean, I knew that the Fudds, farmers, and union thugs out there were solidly democrat, but never figured they would fall for the gun control nonsense. Guess I was wrong.

izzyjoe
03-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Arkansas is a ccw state, but there is a law that says you can open carry, there's a lot of controversy over it, because it very vague! But I see a lot people open carry, and some look shady to me, I seen a kid the other day that is a none pedafile, and I though why in the world does have a pistol. This town is a tourist trap, with mostly retired folks, but dang the drugs are terrible, and the thugs are multiplying daily. The panhandlers are so bad that the city passed and ordnance to prevent them from hanging around, but that got shot down because it infringed on there rights, there was a big story about it on the news, I think little rock went the same thing. And the crack heads are out in the county to, so there is no place safe around here. Almost once a month I have close encounters with these hood rats, the Spanish folks keep to themselves, most of them are hard workers, but what about the next generation of them!

Idaho45guy
03-22-2019, 11:10 PM
Again, are you saying that Iowa now requires either a CCW or some sort of official permit to purchase a firearm?

If so, then they have slid further into leftism than I thought. I mean, I knew that the Fudds, farmers, and union thugs out there were solidly democrat, but never figured they would fall for the gun control nonsense. Guess I was wrong.

Holy cow! Iowa does now require a permit signed off on by the local Chief of Police or Sheriff to buy a handgun! Wow! Another reason to never set foot in that state again...

https://firearms.uslegal.com/purchase-of-firearms/purchase-of-firearms-iowa/

Iowa Constitution does not directly address the peoples’ right to bear arms. However, Article 1, Section 1 of the Iowa Constitution does guarantee certain inalienable rights such as defending life and protecting property. Iowa state permit is not required to purchase a shotgun, or rifle. Under Iowa Code Section 724.15, a permit is required to purchase a handgun. The buyer should be 21 years or older to apply for a permit. The permit becomes valid three days after the date of application, and is valid for one year. A single permit can be used to purchase more than one handgun. Under 724.16, if a person acquires a handgun without a permit is considered guilty of an aggravated misdemeanor.

Following type of handguns does not require a permit:

antique handguns manufactured before 1898,
handguns not capable of being readily restored to a firing condition,
a handgun designated a collector’s item by the commissioner of public safety,
handgun that transfers between relatives within the second degree of consanguinity or affinity, or
by a holder of a handgun carrying permit.
Under Section 724.17, an application for a permit to purchase a handgun should be made to the sheriff of the county of the applicant’s residence. The application should be in a form prescribed and published by the commissioner of public safety.

The application should state:

the full name of the applicant,
the driver’s license or nonoperator’s identification card number of the applicant,
the residence of the applicant, and
the age of the applicant.
The sheriff will conduct a criminal history check of each applicant by obtaining criminal history data from the Department of Public Safety. It is a class D felony to give false statement of material fact on the application. The applicant will also have to display an identification card that bears a distinguishing number assigned to the cardholder, the full name, date of birth, sex, residence address, and brief description and colored photograph of the cardholder, or other identification as specified by rule of the department of public safety.

bob208
03-23-2019, 12:24 AM
I think some are jumping the gun. some states wave the back round check or waiting period if you have a ccw.they fell if you pasted a ccw check then buying a gun should be no problem.

Hickory
03-23-2019, 01:13 AM
Pacification through force.
Don't be a victim.

Froogal
03-23-2019, 10:02 AM
I think some are jumping the gun. some states wave the back round check or waiting period if you have a ccw.they fell if you pasted a ccw check then buying a gun should be no problem.

Exactly!!! I have purchased many firearms in the last 4 years. Just show my CC permit and drivers license, fill out some papers, and walk out the door with a new gun in my possession.

Idaho45guy
03-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Exactly!!! I have purchased many firearms in the last 4 years. Just show my CC permit and drivers license, fill out some papers, and walk out the door with a new gun in my possession.

Seriously? You don't have any problem with your constitutional rights being eroded even further for absolutely no reason?

You certainly are a good little subject. I'm sure your emperor appreciates your lack of outrage at your God-given rights being trampled on.

Just wow...

BigAlofPa.
03-23-2019, 03:09 PM
We have no waiting period in Pa. But now some registration bill is in the works. 10.00 per year per gun. I hope it don't pass. It will expensive for us who have large gun collections.

Froogal
03-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Seriously? You don't have any problem with your constitutional rights being eroded even further for absolutely no reason?

You certainly are a good little subject. I'm sure your emperor appreciates your lack of outrage at your God-given rights being trampled on.

Just wow...

Idaho, playing devil's advocate will get you nowhere. The laws we adhere to in Iowa are FEDERAL laws. My concealed carry permit shows that I have passed the NICS background check. You may want to double check the laws that Idaho adheres to. And don't try to tell me that Idaho doesn't have to meet the same federal background check.

koger
03-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Ky has constitutional carry, signed into law last week, if you can buy a handgun legally, you can carry openly or concealed! We also passed a law 2 years ago, that no new federal gun control laws will be legal in KY! I will still have my CCW, due to other states recognizing it, and the quick in and out when I choose to buy a gun here in KY. I shoot one of my handguns nearly every day, from 4 shots to 15, revolver or pistol. It keeps me in pretty good shape to defend myself if I ever need to. I also shoot one or more rifles everyday, from .22=45/70, mostly off hand, from 75 =150 yds, since I am retired now. I have a 150 yd range into my field, and my neighbors when asked if my shooting doesn't get on their nerves, usually state" Nah, it keeps the rif raf away, no door to door salesman to deal with, and we know if we need help, their is a well armed capable man that will come arunning when needed. It sure is good to live here in the Bible belt, on the Ky/Tenn line area, where most people are God fearing, but will kill you at the drop of a hat if you step out of line, and most folks know that, and like it that way.

jsizemore
03-24-2019, 09:04 PM
I live east of Raleigh but in the same county. This past week at breakfast in the grill on main street I saw a SAA, SRH, and 1911 open carry. Don't know about concealed.