PDA

View Full Version : No Caliber Marking on Model 1873 Winchester

WBH
10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know when Winchester started marking the brass elevator on the Model 1873? I know the 1st issue didn't have them, but I recently bought a 2nd issue built in 1879 that doesn't have it either.

Just wondering.

missionary5155
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Two two references I have ( Blue Book & Standard Catalog ) say the early models had no caliber marking BECAUSE they were only made in 44WCF. No mention is made of Brass or non brass cartridge lifter. Both books say the DUST COVER is the determinig factor on model diferences.
That is all I know .... which is limited ....

WBH
10-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I did a little further research myself. You are correct in that the 44-40 was the only caliber offered until 1879 (my gun's birthdate) when the 38-40 was introduced. Madis says that the unmarked brass lifter was still unmarked in some guns even after that date.

Apparently the dust cover change to the screwed-in guide was at Ser #31000, second issue. 3rd issue they went back to the milled guide in the receiver.

I can't wait to shoot it. It is a 95-97% rifle all original. A real find.

Thanks for the reply.

10-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Win 73 in 95-97% !!!!
The caliber markings or lack thereof are a puzzle on the early issues of both the 73 and 76. Both started with just one caliber (cartridge). I guess Win thought it wouldn't matter or they would only make one caliber in those models???:mrgreen:

Treat her gently. That toggle link (scissor jack action) never did and still doesn't look very strong. Every time I look down into one of those actions and see that skinny "stove bolt" or I take the side plates off one I just scratch my head.

They are a real pleasure to shoot

WBH
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
YUP.......it was a real find! And I didn't even have to re-mortgage the farm.
I have a few other '73's in 32-20 and 44-40 BUT NOTHING NEAR THIS CONDITION.
I use very mild loads and pressures. Those toggle links are prone to stretching with hot loads for that action. The 86 and 92 are a much better design. BUT, what a piece of history huh.